Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iphone 4 to HTC Desire

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Lads,

Just an update, picked up a Desire an hour ago.

So far, it has certainly exceeded my expectations. Scrolling on the touch screen is every bit as smooth as the iphone, it's more comfortable to hold that the iphone 4 too.

Camera is great, speed is very good, all in all, I prefer it to the iphone 4..and this only cost me 120 quid:eek:

Anyone know where I can get a nice matte/glare free screen protector at the good price/online?Really don't want to get the screen scratched- looks like it would scratch a lot easier than the iphone.

Glad I moved to the HTC..would never have bothered only the whole ip4 antenna issua and the **** way in which it is being handled.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Lads,

Just an update, picked up a Desire an hour ago.

So far, it has certainly exceeded my expectations. Scrolling on the touch screen is every bit as smooth as the iphone, it's more comfortable to hold that the iphone 4 too.

Camera is great, speed is very good, all in all, I prefer it to the iphone 4..and this only cost me 120 quid:eek:

Anyone know where I can get a nice matte/glare free screen protector at the good price/online?Really don't want to get the screen scratched- looks like it would scratch a lot easier than the iphone.

Glad I moved to the HTC..would never have bothered only the whole ip4 antenna issua and the **** way in which it is being handled.
    Another happy convert! :pac:

If you want to get a matte screen protector...

http://cgi.ebay.ie/2-MATTE-Anti-Glare-Screen-Protector-HTC-Desire-G7-/180510146288?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_MobilePhoneAccessories&hash=item2a073e3ef0

That should do you just fine.

If you want to start hacking the phone to bits (Better to root the phone now rather than later) just let me know and i'll put you on the right track :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

the last issue you mentioned isn't a problem on the Desire.

I have issues with that screen switch off thing on Desire.

It works (off when up to the ear, back on when I take it down) - it just doesn't work very well. Not at all as well as the iPhone 3GS did. Often I'd be shaking my phone to try and get the screen back on so I can navigate a phone menu or whatever. Just seems to take a second or two. Other times it's not switched off and I end up activating things with my face.

One of those things that's never a huge issue but often an annoyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I wouldn't worry too much about screen scratching. I have mine about 3 months now. I carry in pocket the whole time and no problem with scratches. That said screen protectors are cheap, so better safe than sorry I guess - I accept no responsibility for scratched screens!

Goodshape wrote: »
    I have issues with that screen switch off thing on Desire.

It works (off when up to the ear, back on when I take it down) - it just doesn't work very well. Not at all as well as the iPhone 3GS did. Often I'd be shaking my phone to try and get the screen back on so I can navigate a phone menu or whatever. Just seems to take a second or two. Other times it's not switched off and I end up activating things with my face.

One of those things that's never a huge issue but often an annoyance.
    What ROM are you using? I had that issue from time to time on MCR 3.1 but haven't had it yet on the leaked Android 2.2 ROM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

What ROM are you using? I had that issue from time to time on MCR 3.1 but haven't had it yet on the leaked Android 2.2 ROM.

I've been on 2.2 (DJ Droid 1.0R1) for the past few days -- next time I'm on a call I'll check if this is still an issue. It was certainly apparent in the stock 2.1 that the phone came with.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭kopite davo

what do you guys mean by root the phone???
    out of contract and been waiting for ip4, very tempted by the desire on meteor.
    anyone have problems on meteors in waterford/kilkenny?

what do you guys mean by root the phone???
    out of contract and been waiting for ip4, very tempted by the desire on meteor.
    anyone have problems on meteors in waterford/kilkenny?
    By root we mean giving yourself "root" or "super user" access to the phone. That means you can read, write and edit any file that you wish on the phone. Since Android's Linux based that means you can mod your phone in many many different ways. For example, the Desire didn't originally ship with either WiFi N or 720p. Thanks to having a rooted phone, we were able to install a new ROM which included those two features.

Basically it means you have full control over you phone. It's not as necessary as jailbreaking though, it's only really necessary if you enjoy modding and customising your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

How do I know if my phone is branded or not. I have it for 3 months and its with Meteor but I don't think it is branded as there is no Meteor stuff on it during the boot up or when it's running as normal. Can I tell from the OS or the software version info. The reason I ask is that I hear that we are going to get a Froyo update on the Desire this week (August 1st is the touted date from HTC) if we have an unbranded phone. I can't wait for the update with lots of extra stuff and also HTC say we will be getting HD video recording. Love the phone and the OS. beats the iphone hands down.
    Oh ya we will be getting a sync tool for itunes too - that's it you have itunes which I don't have as I don't like apple pie

tui0hcg wrote: »
    How do I know if my phone is branded or not. I have it for 3 months and its with Meteor but I don't think it is branded as there is no Meteor stuff on it during the boot up or when it's running as normal. Can I tell from the OS or the software version info. The reason I ask is that I hear that we are going to get a Froyo update on the Desire this week (August 1st is the touted date from HTC) if we have an unbranded phone. I can't wait for the update with lots of extra stuff and also HTC say we will be getting HD video recording. Love the phone and the OS. beats the iphone hands down.
    Oh ya we will be getting a sync tool for itunes too - that's it you have itunes which I don't have as I don't like apple pie
    Meteor never brand their high end phones ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement