Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iphone 4 to HTC Desire

Options
  • 11-07-2010 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

Hi,

changing over to a desire, couple of questions:

1. what firmware does it ship with?

2. Does this device support flash video (such as rte player)

3. Am I making the rite decision!?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

1. Firmware? Why are you even asking? It comes with 2.1 at the moment, and you can mod it yourself if you want. 2.2 should be released in september.

2. No it has "flash lite" at the moment, full flash support is coming with 2.2. See above.

3. lol iphone... Desire is best phone around at the moment. STAY CLEAR OF METEOR THO :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Void wrote: »
    1. Firmware? Why are you even asking? It comes with 2.1 at the moment, and you can mod it yourself if you want. 2.2 should be released in september.

2. No it has "flash lite" at the moment, full flash support is coming with 2.2. See above.

3. lol iphone... Desire is best phone around at the moment. STAY CLEAR OF METEOR THO :)

to get an answer, obviously.

Hmm..is it easy to mod it and put 2.2 on it? Funny you should advise to stay clear of meteor, that exactly who I was planning on getting it with, are the problems that bad?

Thank you.

It depends how technically literate you are, rooting/modding phone is as simple as following some instructions.

Meteor have problems with their network, see other thread. Cannot recommend them because of this issue. As said it affects some people worse than others. Buy phone off internet, www.clove.co.uk or similar. Don't get tied into a lousy Irish network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

edit. read above

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks.

1. It ships with Android 2.1 although there are plenty of FroYo roms available. Both stock FroYo roms and FroYo roms with HTC Sense (And 720p recording and WiFi N as an added bonus ;) )

2. It does indeed support Flash out of the box. Flash Lite is what it's shipped with. There's a hacked and slightly usable version of Flash 10.1 for 2.1 but it really isn't all that better than Flash Lite. If you want Flash 10.1 to work correctly you can flash a FroYo ROM.

3. Definitely.

As a side note, i've been with Meteor for almost three months now. Not once have I had the 2G/3G switchover bug. Be wary that a lot of people are getting confused between ordinary signal dropouts and the bug that caused a nightmare for HTC Hero owners last year.

• Advertisement

PAMG do you work for Meteor? Stop covering for them, this is a massive problem affecting all devices. Having the phone "dead" in pocket is the worst thing that can happen, I already missed several important calls because of this.

I verified this issue with multiple handsets, I also have a 3 sim. Switching simcards = problem goes away.

Do you tether your phone? Try it out, this is a surefire way for it to happen. Also it's nothing to do with switching 2g/3g. I have torrents going on PC, connection is active all the time, and it dies in the middle. I have also had it cut out in the middle of a phonecall!

No I don't, what you're describing are regular signal dropouts that you'd experience in any area with poor coverage.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm on meteor also and haven't had any coverage problems or dropped connections on the Desire since it launched.

And I don't work for Meteor.

You guys are very lucky so, because many many other meteor customers are fuming about this. Do you live in Dublin or outside? Noone seems to be able to find a pattern as to why it happens.

And as said in other threads, I have full 5 bars of signal, and am not moving about when it happens. It's nothing to do with signal strength.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

well i haven't had a single issue in over 3 months, live in dublin and also speand a good bit of tim e around the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

No I don't, what you're describing are regular signal dropouts that you'd experience in any area with poor coverage.

I agree as I work with several people on meteor with heroes who don't experience this problem. Also the availability of new apps such as no signal alert means the dropped signal thing is apparent now whereas it might not have been so much before without this ability.

I do think there are general issues with 3g and Gsm switching so its better to go with a network with higher 3g coverage

1. It ships with Android 2.1 although there are plenty of FroYo roms available. Both stock FroYo roms and FroYo roms with HTC Sense (And 720p recording and WiFi N as an added bonus ;) )

2. It does indeed support Flash out of the box. Flash Lite is what it's shipped with. There's a hacked and slightly usable version of Flash 10.1 for 2.1 but it really isn't all that better than Flash Lite. If you want Flash 10.1 to work correctly you can flash a FroYo ROM.

3. Definitely.

As a side note, i've been with Meteor for almost three months now. Not once have I had the 2G/3G switchover bug. Be wary that a lot of people are getting confused between ordinary signal dropouts and the bug that caused a nightmare for HTC Hero owners last year.

Good info, thanks.

So am I to take it that even with froyo, the phone still wont be able to handle the like of RTE Player decently?

How time consuming is it to install froyo on this handset? Not very technical, is it a lot less straight forward than jailbreaking an iphone yeah?

Thanks.

Just to note, my girlfriend has a Hero over 6 months. I remember the first week she had it she had a 'no service' problem in an area where there is good coverage.

However, it has never happened again in the last 6 months or so.

I find the hero a nightmare to type on compared to the iphone, I take it the desire is much better, given the bigger screen and all, yeah?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Hi,

Thanks.

Little off topic, but just curious as to why you changed over from the iPhone 4?

Because other phones can make/receive calls? Ok ok maybe not on Meteor but still!

Because other phones can make/receive calls? Ok ok maybe not on Meteor but still!

pretty much!

I had the 3gs and prefer it. The iphone 4 had a much better screen/display and camera..thats about it.

The signal issue was annoying- sure you can live with it as long as you don't hold it the 'wrong' way but thats not good enough when you pay 620 quid for a phone.

Originally, I was going to go back to a 3gs but thought the Desire might make a nice change.

Haven't actually used one yet but I have used the Hero, and I can say I'm not a fan at all...does that mean I will be disapointed with the desire?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Haven't actually used one yet but I have used the Hero, and I can say I'm not a fan at all...does that mean I will be disapointed with the desire?
    You didn't mention why you were disappointed, but generally speaking, yes.

I wouldn't say that your disappointment with the hero would have any bearing on the desire as they are two very different phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,175 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I wouldn't say that your disappointment with the hero would have any bearing on the desire as they are two very different phones.

not really.

The OS is basically the same and the functionality of the phones are basically the same. Form factor and size/quality of screen differ, but broadly speaking I would say they are a very similar phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I moved to Meteor to buy mine, they had the best deal and shortest contract. No regrets.

You didn't mention why you were disappointed, but generally speaking, yes.

ok..

-the touchscreen isn't as smooth as I would like
    -Typing texts etc is hard work..often hit the wrong keys.
    -when on a call the screen goes black..take the phone away from my face and it remains black ..unlike the iphone.

thats pretty much all that comes to mind

• Advertisement

ok..

-when on a call the screen goes black..take the phone away from my face and it remains black ..unlike the iphone.

The larger screen on the desire should alleviate the keyboard issues and the last issue you mentioned isn't a problem on the Desire.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

The larger screen on the desire should alleviate the keyboard issues and the last issue you mentioned isn't a problem on the Desire.
    Does the screen not go black? I thought it does - is there a setting to change that?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

ok..

Well FWIW
    -I think the Desire's screen is as smooth as it gets in an Android phone
    -typing I didn't try in the 2 minutes I tried a Hero, but if I tilt my Desire to landscape it's comfortable to type on. Also I find the software that guesses what you wanted to type to be surprisingly effective
    -screen off while talking, when I move the phone away from my ear the screen comes back on within a second

Does the screen not go black? I thought it does - is there a setting to change that?
    It does but what he's saying is that on the Hero it goes black but doesn't switch back on after he takes the phone away from his ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

ok..

A lot of these issues are improved or alleviated on the Desire, but I'd still suggest you try one out before buying. I thought your reasons may have been based on the underlying OS and usability, rather than the physical hardware.

My desire's screen is very smooth, I have no problems typing in portrait or landscape (left or right hands) and the Desire does indeed return from black when you take it away from your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

PAMG do you work for Meteor? Stop covering for them, this is a massive problem affecting all devices. Having the phone "dead" in pocket is the worst thing that can happen, I already missed several important calls because of this.

I verified this issue with multiple handsets, I also have a 3 sim. Switching simcards = problem goes away.

Do you tether your phone? Try it out, this is a surefire way for it to happen. Also it's nothing to do with switching 2g/3g. I have torrents going on PC, connection is active all the time, and it dies in the middle. I have also had it cut out in the middle of a phonecall!

Eh, sorry but get your facts straight before you go off on one. I have had both a hero and a desire with meteor without any issues whatsoever. Zip.

So while you may have suffered, its not all devices, far from it. Now, obviously its something the OP needs to consider before making a purchase, but its far from certain whether he would actually be affected. And if you were, I can't see how it would be very hard to get a refund and you contact canceled free of charge.

And no, don't work for meteor, just a customer who has good service and value for money for nearly 10 years. And those few times I've had to get onto customer care, I've found them more then helpful.

OP, give em a shot if you want. Any problems surface, contact them Asap and demand refund.

Hint for refunds for anybody who needs them - sale of goods and supply of services act.

There are loads of people posting on forums about the meteor thing, nothing wrong with my facts.

Regarding hero vs desire, it isn't fair to compare. The Hero was a massive ****up released with buggy software, if you install custom rom, or the new 2.1 on it it's actually very good. The Desire has no such problems, it just works even with stock rom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

There are loads of people posting on forums about the meteor thing, nothing wrong with my facts.

Regarding hero vs desire, it isn't fair to compare. The Hero was a massive ****up released with buggy software, if you install custom rom, or the new 2.1 on it it's actually very good. The Desire has no such problems, it just works even with stock rom.

Well, with all due respect, there is something wrong with your facts. You said it was a massive problem affecting all devices. Clearly its not. I had a hero on meteor worked fine. I have a desire on meteor which also works fine. Ergo, clearly not all devices affected.

Yes, out is a problem, and a serious one for those affected. However I Imagine for every one person affected there are multiple others not affected.

It its something to ber aware of buying the phone, but I don't think it would stop you buying the phone. If problem surfaces, get a refund asap. If not, you get to huber a great phone on the best value plans in ireland. I knee if the problem before buying, still went ahead and bought it. As long as you have your eyes open you should be fine.

Well of course it would appear like that. It's not as if people who don't have the problem post on their forum. It takes almost two weeks for them to approve new registrations so all you'll ever see there are the complaints.

In reality though, the problem is far less widespread than you may think.

• Advertisement

floggg wrote: »
    Well, with all due respect, there is something wrong with your facts. You said it was a massive problem affecting all devices. Clearly its not. I had a hero on meteor worked fine. I have a desire on meteor which also works fine. Ergo, clearly not all devices affected.

Yes, out is a problem, and a serious one for those affected. However I Imagine for every one person affected there are multiple others not affected.

It its something to ber aware of buying the phone, but I don't think it would stop you buying the phone. If problem surfaces, get a refund asap. If not, you get to huber a great phone on the best value plans in ireland. I knee if the problem before buying, still went ahead and bought it. As long as you have your eyes open you should be fine.

What I meant was it affected all different models, not every individual device. Even had it with Palm Pre.

Advertisement