Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dating sites?

Options

Comments

Is it the same one as your current FB profile picture? If so, oh hell yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

liah wrote: »
    Mine isn't scumbaggy, or at least I don't think so.. mostly it's just tongue-in-cheek.

It would put me off a guy. Why do you think it's a good idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

mood wrote: »
    It would put me off a guy. Why do you think it's a good idea?

Because I would hope to attract a partner who doesn't take life too seriously, I suppose. Plus, despite the finger, I reckon it's an alright pic anyway.

EDIT: And yeah, it's the same one as my Facebook pic.

Because I would hope to attract a partner who doesn't take life too seriously, I suppose. Plus, despite the finger, I reckon it's an alright pic anyway.

I reckon you should, it's a really nice picture of you and you get away with it too.

Doesn't look scummy to me, go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Stumbled across another TLL'er... what the hell's going on? Is there anyone on that site NOT on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

article about t'online dating in the irish times health supplement yesterday

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/health/2011/0208/1224289248792.html

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Red Alert wrote: »
    Stumbled across another TLL'er... what the hell's going on? Is there anyone on that site NOT on boards?

My friend is. She's not on boards. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I've only stumbled across one, I must be searching the wrong way or something :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

It is kinda weird when that happens. Not in a bad way. Just in a sort of 'all right, didn't think I'd see you here' but without actually saying it. Or acknowledging it.

I possibly don't know how to explain the above in proper English.

• Advertisement

Sanjuro wrote: »
    It is kinda weird when that happens. Not in a bad way. Just in a sort of 'all right, didn't think I'd see you here' but without actually saying it. Or acknowledging it.

I possibly don't know how to explain the above in proper English.

Sort of an 'oh right, fair enough' moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Sort of an 'oh right, fair enough' moment?

That'd be the one. Brevity isn't my strong suit. I first noticed this back in 1998 while attending a class in school that our English teacher was giving about said subject. 'Brevity is the soul of wit,' he began....

Hah, so I ran my middle finger photo through the My Best Face thing on OkCupid. It gives you an idea of the kinds of people who voted on your picture and which way, and I scored unusually high with Conservatives and Deviants and incredibly low with Overachievers. :p This is kinda fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi guys.

So I bit the bullet and signed up to OKcupid last night. So many questions to answer!! It really does take a while to put a profile together, eh?

One thing I wanted to ask - how do you reject (harsh I know) guys on it. Do you just tell them straight away "Sorry, I'm not interested" or what? A guy messaged me and being polite I replied and then this chat pop up box came up and he started chatting to me! I was like "aarrrggh". I'm very conscious of not being a bítch on it.

This doesn't appear to be as easy as it looks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Pinkytoes wrote: »
    Hi guys.

So I bit the bullet and signed up to OKcupid last night. So many questions to answer!! It really does take a while to put a profile together, eh?

One thing I wanted to ask - how do you reject (harsh I know) guys on it. Do you just tell them straight away "Sorry, I'm not interested" or what? A guy messaged me and being polite I replied and then this chat pop up box came up and he started chatting to me! I was like "aarrrggh". I'm very conscious of not being a bítch on it.

This doesn't appear to be as easy as it looks!

I am a guy and I would like to hear "thanks for the message but I'm not interested" rather than simply getting no reply (which is extremely rude in my opinion. If however the guy didn't take the hint or wouldn't stop contacting then I'd say "f off".... some guys won't learn otherwise.

I am on POF and I reply to every girl who contacts me, I have only sent a message to one girl on it and got no reply and to me that's rude. Doesn't take long to send a "not interested sorry" message.

Best of luck with Okcupid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks Kingtut.

Tis all a bit new to me. So saying "Thanks for the message but I'm not interested" whether they've asked me a question or not would be okay. eek. Seems so harsh but eh, I guess better than not replying or leading someone on.

This guy asked me on a date within 10 minutes of me replying to him. Is this normal or a tad quick? Personally, I'd want to wait a while before agreeing to meet up with someone...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

"Thanks but not interested" is grand, though I can see why the girls on the sites are probably getting pissed off given some of the lads we've heard about on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

I find it best not to reply to guys at all if im not interested.

There was one guy i replied to initially. I wasnt that interested, but he seemed full of himself. He was like asking me out immediately...but I remembered him from about a year ago on another dating site.

I knew if I didnt go out with him then, there must have been a good reason. Anyway he kept insisting we go out. Then he sent me photos (looked nothing like his profile photo) and insisted I send him more photos.

I sent him a photo, but i had glasses in it. Which for me isnt even an issue....normally I wear contacts. Anyway starts going on about how much hotter he is and how he had eye surgery and slagging off my glasses???

Sorry honey, but I wasnt even interested in you in the 1st place. Sometimes I think guys just like to think they rejected you...when you were not bothered in the 1st place.

For that reason, I just ignore everyone else that I am not interested in. The few emails I did reply to, they all replied back, just as eagar...it was like I was playing mind games...in fact I was just being honest with them. Seems like if you tell them not interested...that see it as even more of a challenge.

It feels so good saying not interested to the tall dark and hansome guys with big 6 pack in their photo! They reply with: What? Come again, your not interested in me?....

where are the normal people? not on online dating so far.

where are the normal people? not on online dating so far.

Would you not just put it down to the numbers issue? I would guess there are normal enough people lost in the avalanche of emails that many girls get. Then on the flip side, guys know girls will get lots of emails so they end up trying to say something different to stand out.

On a total side-note, does anybody with experience of using dating sites abroad notice any difference in messages or dating site etiquette? Just wondering if we are discussing Irish issues or are they just typical dating site issues.

Would you not just put it down to the numbers issue? I would guess there are normal enough people lost in the avalanche of emails that many girls get. Then on the flip side, guys know girls will get lots of emails so they end up trying to say something different to stand out.

On a total side-note, does anybody with experience of using dating sites abroad notice any difference in messages or dating site etiquette? Just wondering if we are discussing Irish issues or are they just typical dating site issues.

I would think it's hard to find anyone who has tried both internet dating in Ireland and outside Ireland. Only someone who has tried both could answer.

• Advertisement

I would think it's hard to find anyone who has tried both internet dating in Ireland and outside Ireland. Only someone who has tried both could answer.

I'm guessing there will be a few that have tried it, particularly given there are many people posting on Boards who have left Ireland and there are people on this thread who have referenced living abroad. I assumed that it was implicit that I was asking people who had experience of using them both here and abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭unepetite

I'm in the same boat as pinkytoes. I've only dipped back into it recently after an extended absence period and general disillusionment with it all, and I'm currently not replying to those I'm not interested in, but it is eating me up! I'm a nice person (too nice, has been an observation/criticism by some, and is why I'm back out there probably, but that's another story), and to me sending a message back saying "Sorry, not interested" seems more cruel somehow. I can say honestly, from my perspective, having sent messages to guys and receiving no response, sure it might twinge a little, but I've forgotten about it pretty quickly. To get a reply saying "I'm not interested", personally would be more hurtful to me- I guess I don't need it articulated!

Maybe it's yet another difference between the sexes? Just putting it out there that if a girl doesn't reply (well, this girl, anyway) it's not out of spite, and I do feel bad about it.

Just to inject a bit of humour in, here's a beauty I received recently :pac::
    wow what a prety girl offffffff whats that every thing in u is so wonderful i have neer see like that,how u are always single how,what make man near from u,they dont have eyes ?i wana get something like u bc to be in life and to feel that u live if u have a wonderful girl like u, i swear that never i have see like u never u are an angel so prety so sexy so perfect oh my god if i have a girl like u or if u give me a chance to know u

I mean like.. really? What are they expecting, me to lift my hand to my forehead and swoon? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭johnboysligo

to lift my hand to my forehead and swoon? :confused:

you must be an ice cold woman if you didnt fall in love right there and then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I mean like.. really? What are they expecting, me to lift my hand to my forehead and swoon? :confused:

:eek: what does that even mean!? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Ah, give him a chance, what's the worst that could happen :pac:

Wait ..

I was surprised he wasn't from Nigeria and offering me a couple of million to be honest

And I bet he is wondering why you didn't reply :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭johnboysligo

I bet he worked on it all night and right now he is right now rocking back and forth on his chair crying to himself as he refreshes his inbox looking for liah's reply :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

"I didn't even like her in the first place, I was just bored."

edit: "I ddnt lik her in frst place, was gist board" would be far more accurate actually.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement