Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This old road.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

dollyk wrote: »
    so what was the name and address of the hypnotherapy person

Ya - I'd love to know who that was too. If I thought it would work for me I would not care if it cost twice that amount. I just want to be a happy (even contented) non-smoker!
    Do you smoke Dolly? Have you tried giving up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

Hi - don't mean to interject but - I also went to hypnotherapy, Derek Cobbe in Longford - I am off them 7 1/2 weeks and it is great!

NavanEPS wrote: »
    Hi - don't mean to interject but - I also went to hypnotherapy, Derek Cobbe in Longford - I am off them 7 1/2 weeks and it is great!

Really? That's brilliant! Can I ask you a few questions? Had you tried to give them up using any other method before and failed, ie patches? Did you find that the hypnotherapy prevented you from thinking about smoking all the time and did it lessen the cravings? Was it just one session or several and what did it cost? Did you desperately want to give them up or were you just hoping for something that would work for you? Sorry for the interrogation but I'd really like to know all this:):)

Hi Shazanne
    Really? That's brilliant! Can I ask you a few questions?
    Yep
    Had you tried to give them up using any other method before and failed, ie patches?
    Not really - I tried cold turkey one day (about 5 yrs ago) and lasted til 3pm! would have smoked about 10 by then, so.....
    Tried patches once about 10 years ago but freaked one day when I forgot to put the patch on - so must have been really reliant on them and of course smoked. Just an excuse though I would say in hindsight. Lasted a couple of weeks I think that time.
    Did you find that the hypnotherapy prevented you from thinking about smoking all the time and did it lessen the cravings?
    I am afraid to say it didn't stop me thinking about smoking but it did take away completely the WANT to smoke. The want of the inhale, the want of holding something, the triggers (after tea, after food etc). Which from what I gather is huge side of it. I really don't want to physically smoke. But it didn't take away the craving, physical need for nicotine and knowing that one cigarette will take away this CRAP feeling. As time goes on though, these times get less and less, you don't even think about having a cigarette, and just get used to chewing gum or walking or whatever. A cigarette is not part of the solution in my mind now.

Was it just one session or several and what did it cost?
    It was just one session plus a CD to listen to before bed during the first few days/week (which I was asleep within 5 minutes). It cost me €180 but have covered that cost in 22 days of the cigs! so really cheap actually! I called the chap twice, when I was having a bad time (once literally crying on day2 I think) and he said that if I needed to go again it would be free. but I never needed to go back.

Did you desperately want to give them up or were you just hoping for something that would work for you?
    Yes but was scared to try 'cause I knew how dependent I was. It controlled my life, which was the main reason I gave up.
    In my opinion the fact that I paid €180 really helps (!), Derek Cobbe certainly altered my mindset by pointing out the obvious and of course I must have had so much will power this time 'round. But guts aswell - it is like throwing yourself off a cliff, your whole life is changing and you don't know how to fill it.
    Don't get me wrong, around the 2 and 3rd week I was getting cocky and convincing myself then that one won't kill me, sure what harm would it be. I did get some relief from the CD again at these times.
    Now the main thing keeping me off them is that I couldn't give them up again. It has been really difficult and I don't want to do that again. I would prefer to live with the odd "moment", than trying to give them up again. I enjoy being a non-smoker for many many more reasons I thought I enjoyed smoking. No contest. I am free!
    Sorry for the interrogation but I'd really like to know all this
    Not at all that is what we are here for. When we first join boards we are looking for support, but when we are on here a while and see newbies it is good and important to help.
    Good Luck with your quest and be strong

NavanEPS wrote: »
    Hi Shazanne

Yep

Not really - I tried cold turkey one day (about 5 yrs ago) and lasted til 3pm! would have smoked about 10 by then, so.....
    Tried patches once about 10 years ago but freaked one day when I forgot to put the patch on - so must have been really reliant on them and of course smoked. Just an excuse though I would say in hindsight. Lasted a couple of weeks I think that time.

I am afraid to say it didn't stop me thinking about smoking but it did take away completely the WANT to smoke. The want of the inhale, the want of holding something, the triggers (after tea, after food etc). Which from what I gather is huge side of it. I really don't want to physically smoke. But it didn't take away the craving, physical need for nicotine and knowing that one cigarette will take away this CRAP feeling. As time goes on though, these times get less and less, you don't even think about having a cigarette, and just get used to chewing gum or walking or whatever. A cigarette is not part of the solution in my mind now.

It was just one session plus a CD to listen to before bed during the first few days/week (which I was asleep within 5 minutes). It cost me €180 but have covered that cost in 22 days of the cigs! so really cheap actually! I called the chap twice, when I was having a bad time (once literally crying on day2 I think) and he said that if I needed to go again it would be free. but I never needed to go back.

Yes but was scared to try 'cause I knew how dependent I was. It controlled my life, which was the main reason I gave up.
    In my opinion the fact that I paid €180 really helps (!), Derek Cobbe certainly altered my mindset by pointing out the obvious and of course I must have had so much will power this time 'round. But guts aswell - it is like throwing yourself off a cliff, your whole life is changing and you don't know how to fill it.
    Don't get me wrong, around the 2 and 3rd week I was getting cocky and convincing myself then that one won't kill me, sure what harm would it be. I did get some relief from the CD again at these times.
    Now the main thing keeping me off them is that I couldn't give them up again. It has been really difficult and I don't want to do that again. I would prefer to live with the odd "moment", than trying to give them up again. I enjoy being a non-smoker for many many more reasons I thought I enjoyed smoking. No contest. I am free!

Not at all that is what we are here for. When we first join boards we are looking for support, but when we are on here a while and see newbies it is good and important to help.
    Good Luck with your quest and be strong

Thank you so very very much for the time and effort you have put into your response. I have found it very helpful and encouraging. I know I need to do this and my mind is coming round stronger and stronger to it. I have two weeks off work in two weeks time, which might not be the time to try as I would have too much time on my hands. But after that I am going to give it a go again - at least I'll know I've tried! Thank yous very much again and best of luck to you:)

• Advertisement

Where is everyone gone off this thread:eek: OEB, Navan, everyone - where are you???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Shazanne wrote: »
    Where is everyone gone off this thread:eek: OEB, Navan, everyone - where are you???

I'm still here, and still off them =) 10 weeks now!

I just find it very difficult to not give my opinion on hypnotism ;)

oeb wrote: »
    I'm still here, and still off them =) 10 weeks now!

I just find it very difficult to not give my opinion on hypnotism ;)

O, so I take it you are not in favour of it? I have mixed views to be honest. One part of me feels it would be a helpful back up (if it was successful) and the other part is scared of anyone playing with my mind!
    Would appreciate your views though, as I'm sure alot of people who read this thread would:)
    Well done on your success! I envy you.

O, so I take it you are not in favour of it? I have mixed views to be honest. One part of me feels it would be a helpful back up (if it was successful) and the other part is scared of anyone playing with my mind!
    Would appreciate your views though, as I'm sure alot of people who read this thread would:)
    Well done on your success! I envy you.

It's not that I am not in favor of it, I am just of the (educated) opinion that it's all hogwash.

It's not that I am not in favor of it, I am just of the (educated) opinion that it's all hogwash.

Indeed. I am of somewhat the same opinion but would love, in this case, to be proven wrong. I think it will probably be my next course of action, being preferable to a brain and personality transplant(!) as I feel my addiction is certainly more psychological than physical - which is why I don't think nicotine replacement therapy will ever be successful for me. And I definitely don't think that "cold turkey" is an option for me either for the same reason.

• Advertisement

Indeed. I am of somewhat the same opinion but would love, in this case, to be proven wrong. I think it will probably be my next course of action, being preferable to a brain and personality transplant(!) as I feel my addiction is certainly more psychological than physical - which is why I don't think nicotine replacement therapy will ever be successful for me. And I definitely don't think that "cold turkey" is an option for me either for the same reason.

All hypnotism is, is a crutch. Think of hypnotism as dumbos feather. It's still just you doing it, you just have yourself convinced that you are getting external help.

If you can quit with hypnotism, you can quit without it.

NRT, by it's very concept is ridiculous. Can you imagine someone going in to break their addiction from any other drug, lets say heroin, and the councilor saying "Ok, first step, take this heroin".

All hypnotism is, is a crutch. Think of hypnotism as dumbos feather. It's still just you doing it, you just have yourself convinced that you are getting external help.

If you can quit with hypnotism, you can quit without it.

NRT, by it's very concept is ridiculous. Can you imagine someone going in to break their addiction from any other drug, lets say heroin, and the councilor saying "Ok, first step, take this heroin".

Point taken on the NRT - this has always been my opinion on that matter. Plus is is proven that people get addicted to nicotine gum etc - albeit the fact that the nicotine is not the most harmful substance in cigarettes.
    As regards hypnosis - the word "crutch" is probably what is appealing to me. While I fully understand and accept that it will be me that is doing it, I am just "clutching at the crutch" in the hope that it will give me some strength. Weird???

HI OEB and Shazanne - although I have been to the hypnotist I would agree that it is not what keeps me off the cigarettes - that is will power, stubborness and bloody mindedness.

I got the cravings, the withdrawal etc like everyone else. The hypnosis didn't take any of that away and at times it has been hell. But what it did "for me" was take away the need to have something in my hand, or feel the inhale, or the relationship with tea breaks. Of course this is mind over matter. Whether I was strong enough for these things not to matter this time or hypnosis worked I don't know. I also understand that I paid the chap €180 for one visit and a CD and 11 weeks later I still haven't smoked. To be honest, whether it is a crutch, mind changing sh*t or boloney I am still off the cigarettes so to me it doesn't matter.
    If I hadn't had the will power to stay strong then hypnosis was not going to help me anyway. I agree.

Advertisement