Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This old road.

Options
  • 06-07-2010 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭

I'm a 29 year old male, I have been smoking since I was 14 years old. I am a 20-30 a day smoker.

I last quit about a year an a half ago, I managed five or six weeks.

At 1pm today I was thinking about quitting and decided it was as good a time as any and chucked the box.

So far I'm not feeling great, I never enjoyed the first three days, and I am particularly dreading tomorrow.

I am quitting for all the usual reasons, money (I spend the bones of 5k a year on smokes. If I don't smoke for a year that pays back my car loan!), health, fitness, personal life (My better half has been off them for about three months now, and I think it's unfair to be smoking around her).

I am going cold turkey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

Good on you, just remember it is all in the head. You do not need a cigarette to function

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

That's day one over and dealt with (Even if it was only a half day). Woke up this morning and instinctively reached for the box of cigs that's normally at the top of my bed. Took me a second to twig why they were not there =)

I'm currently approaching the 48 hr mark, don't feel too bad today, yesterday evening was a bit of a nightmare though, and I slept like crap last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Well done! I'm watching this thread with great interest. Please keep posting - you're doing really well. Fair play to you. (Wish I could do it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Great stuff, keep it up. I went cold turkey some time ago and thankfully it stuck that time after many attempts, so it can be done. Well done for getting this far.

• Advertisement

I'm well happy with my self, I went out for a few beers tonight, and one of the group was a smoker. I managed not to succumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Nice one oeb :) You're doing great!

Day three.

The drive back to Kerry (from Cork) in pretty heavy traffic nearly did me in today. I would always smoke a fair bit when I was driving. Managed to avoid pulling in and buying a box though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

oeb wrote: »
    Day three.

The drive back to Kerry (from Cork) in pretty heavy traffic nearly did me in today. I would always smoke a fair bit when I was driving. Managed to avoid pulling in and buying a box though!
    Fair play. Another little victory for you! These little battles will soon add up, and you'll have won the war!

Day 6.

The insomnia is a bit of a pain in the ass, I have been awake by 5.30 or so nearly every morning, from what I remember last time round that passes after two or three weeks though.

Cravings are mostly OK. Saturday afternoon/evening was pretty bad though, I nearly gave in (Girlfriend was over for the weekend, and she is a social smoker. She was not smoking Saturday, but I knew there was a pack in her bag).

I generally feel better, I don't have that awful taste in my mouth when I wake up first thing in the morning, my room and clothes no longer stink (Thanks to lots of fabreeze) of stale cigs. I have about 60 euro more in my pocket! (Have you noticed that when you quit smoking your spending on sweets, soft drinks, packets of taytos etc goes down too? I used to have the fierce habit of picking up random crap off the counter and buying it when I was in getting a pack of smokes, now I'm just not in the shop / off license in the first place)

I don't miss being a smoker, but I miss the physical action of smoking (if you know what I mean?) I probably have the ends chewed off every pen in the office at this stage =) It's tricky just stopping doing something you have done 25 or 30 times, nearly every single day, for more than half your life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

oeb - you are doing great! I am on day 7 today and so am going through the same stuff - keep it up it is worth it -
    Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

Keep up the good work!.. I am off them over 7 months now and I can't believe that I ever smoked!!.. I found the worst part was the insomnia and once I got through that it was plain sailing.. I am still broke though.. :D

One week! w00t!

Now just need to start sleeping again =)

I am at the same stage - you are doing so well -
    I just keep thinking "there is no way I am going through this week again, so just keep goin'"

Congratulations oeb :)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭milosh

One week! w00t!

Now just need to start sleeping again =)

Keep it up. I'm off them since the 26th June and had my first really good night sleep on Sunday night and have been fine since then so you can't be too far away from sleeping again.

In those two weeks I have been out to the pub a good few times and even been on a stag weekend. I think its better to get the drinking experience out of the way early in the quit cycle. It was hard but I found the last time I quit, that I failed as soon as I went drinking for the first time - 6 weeks after I stopped smoking- It was like I had forgotten I was off them.

I find I have loads of extra money. Don't have the need to go into the shop so I am buying less sweets and no newspapers. I was a 20 a day man but I reckon I am saving closer to €12 a day than €8.50. I am already looking forward to clearing my overdraft by the end of the year.

I passed the three weeks mark yesterday. I'm having my good days and my bad days. Herself is back smoking again full time, which is wonderful encouragement =P

I'm still not sleeping great, I'm up after only five or six hours sleep (from about 8 a month ago). I think I'm actually loosing weight as I'm just not up at the counter of the shop every day knowing I will be getting two quid change =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

Well done . . . 3 weeks!

I'm on 3 days and actually, this has been the easiest morning of the 3.

It doesn't matter if your oh is back smoking, that's their prerogative, I hope you stick to your guns.

In regards to the sleep issue, are you doing much exercise? I think that's the key to getting a bit of rest, otherwise, maybe you don't need as much sleep as your heart and lungs aren't under as much stress?

You're rocking this . . . Keep on rocking it!

In regards to the sleep issue, are you doing much exercise? I think that's the key to getting a bit of rest, otherwise, maybe you don't need as much sleep as your heart and lungs aren't under as much stress?

Yup, I have started swimming again. Just trying to build the energy levels back up again =)

Yup, I have started swimming again. Just trying to build the energy levels back up again =)

Snap! Swimming is awesome, and if there's a sauna or steam-room in the vicinity; more's the better!

I'm also walking loads, I'm on my summer holidays from college so am fairly time-rich at the minute, I can jump up and go for a walk when the craving gets bad.

So far though, yesterday was the worst (day 2) hopefully it's all good from now on.

I'm no longer a smoker, I don't feel deprived, I feel dead proud actually :o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Unwilling

OEB CONGRATULATIONS - I think you are doing amazing.. such a positive attitude and nothing but good results! More money, losing weight, getting fit....

I quit 4 years ago, I was a hardcore smoker, 25-30 a day for aobut 15 years. I LOVED SMOKING... I went to hypnotheraphy, kinda as a dare, and to prove to others that "I tried, it didn't work" so that i could say " I even tried hypnotheraphy" and the gas thing is, it flipping worked!
    But I don't regret it best eighty euro and two hours I ever spent.

I am now smoke free, financially better off and fitter than I have ever been.

So - KEEP GOING.... ;)

• Advertisement

Unwilling wrote: »
    OEB CONGRATULATIONS - I think you are doing amazing.. such a positive attitude and nothing but good results! More money, losing weight, getting fit....

I quit 4 years ago, I was a hardcore smoker, 25-30 a day for aobut 15 years. I LOVED SMOKING... I went to hypnotheraphy, kinda as a dare, and to prove to others that "I tried, it didn't work" so that i could say " I even tried hypnotheraphy" and the gas thing is, it flipping worked!

So - KEEP GOING.... ;)

Well done to you! Do you mind me asking who you went to? I am a smoker and really need to quit but I'm scared to try again after an awful experience three years ago. I need help to see me through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Shazanne wrote: »
    Well done to you! Do you mind me asking who you went to? I am a smoker and really need to quit but I'm scared to try again after an awful experience three years ago. I need help to see me through.

HI Shazanne,

What kind of experience did you have? I would have thought that there's nothng but good things to experience after giving up the fags.
    (off em one year!!)

Firstly, well done to you. To be totally honest my problem was my own stupid mindset! I became obsessed with smoking - thought life would never be the same without it. I got so down in myself that I began to suffer from panic attacks - it just got totally out of control with me. I stayed off them for 12 weeks but it was totally miserable. One part of my mind told me that what I was doing was great but this little devil on my shoulder never gave me any peace:( Anyway, to make a long story short, I went back on them, hated myself but loved smoking - how sad is that? Naturally, I pledged that I would try again but I have never been strong/brave enough to do it. I have a very addictive personality and I suppose I have myself convinced that I will go through hell again if I try to stop smoking. That is why I am wondering if hypnosis might be the answer for me? If my mindset could be altered regarding smoking perhaps it would be easier, perhaps even successful!

Firstly, well done to you. To be totally honest my problem was my own stupid mindset! I became obsessed with smoking - thought life would never be the same without it. I got so down in myself that I began to suffer from panic attacks - it just got totally out of control with me. I stayed off them for 12 weeks but it was totally miserable. One part of my mind told me that what I was doing was great but this little devil on my shoulder never gave me any peace:( Anyway, to make a long story short, I went back on them, hated myself but loved smoking - how sad is that? Naturally, I pledged that I would try again but I have never been strong/brave enough to do it. I have a very addictive personality and I suppose I have myself convinced that I will go through hell again if I try to stop smoking. That is why I am wondering if hypnosis might be the answer for me? If my mindset could be altered regarding smoking perhaps it would be easier, perhaps even successful!

Hi Shazanne,

Jeez, you poor thing, sounds awful what you went through. There's a sticky thread at the top of this forum, there's loads of info there to help you get your mind ready for the off. I hear ya on the addictive personality thing; I have to say though 3 days off the smokes and I feel very empowered. Life is the exact same bar having a cloud of smoke surrounding me.
    Yeah the craving when it comes can be hardcore but it passes almost without you realising.
    You have to want to stop, might sound silly but I mean you have to really, really want to stop.

Good luck to you.

4 weeks today!

The weekend was a bit odd, went out on a major session Saturday night for a friends birthday, about half the group are heavy smokers, so we spent most of the night in the smoking area. I was actually OK with it and was not too tempted to ask for one.

Sunday however was a different ball game. All went fine till about 1.30 AM Monday morning (Until about 5pm yesterday.) Was having a very stressful time anyway, and then the cravings kicked in majorly. It was by far the worst day yet. That was likely because I was so pissed off, worried and stressed with other things that were going on, and I usually smoke loads when I feel like that anyway.

Still though, I got past it (just).

Hi oeb - well done for not taking one!!

I am off them 4 weeks yesterday but purposely didn't go out this weekend cause I didn't think I was strong enough. Am going out next weekend though hell for leather so here's hoping!

4 weeks though, isn't it great!!!!!

I'm still going strong in case anyone was wondering. 7 weeks in now.

For all those still in their first couple of weeks, keep it up, it does get better. I promise!

I still get cravings, but they are alot less regular now. I'm finding being out on the piss grand too, I don't even have a problem sitting out in the smoking area chatting to my mates when they are having one.

That is great news! Do you find you think about smoking alot, as opposed to having cravings? That was a big issue for me when I tried - I became obsessed with thoughts!

That is great news! Do you find you think about smoking alot, as opposed to having cravings? That was a big issue for me when I tried - I became obsessed with thoughts!

I did at the start. Every second thing I did it was running through my head "I would normally be smoking when I was doing this". That certainly took up alot more of my day than the going nuts type cravings. I found that doing something like chewing a pen or a pen cap really removed eased that for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

Unwilling wrote: »

So - KEEP GOING.... ;)

so what was the name and address of the hypnotherapy person

Advertisement