Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So it begins...

Options
  • 06-07-2010 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

my new life hopefully :)

I had my last ciggarette last night. Ive decided to quit for lost of reasons, but what gave me the final push was reading peoples posts here. Some great advice here and i hope with ye're help, that i can kick this horrible habit. So big thanks you to all of ye :)

Its going ok so far, i have set times during the day, especially at work, that i go have one, getting through the first few of them at the moment. I keep wanting to eat something just to keep busy, i dont want to get fat though. Im actually trying to lose weight.
    I coming down with the flu too, coughing all over the place. Funnily enough its helping, i dont want to have one cause i know it'll just make the cough worse.

Edit: my background, im 26, been smoking 12 years, around 17 a day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

Well done! I would advise snacking on healthy stuff if you feel a craving.. like fruit, carrot sticks and nuts etc. Drinking a glass of water whenever you get a craving is really ment to help aswell. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Flojo wrote: »
    Well done! I would advise snacking on healthy stuff if you feel a craving.. like fruit, carrot sticks and nuts etc. Drinking a glass of water whenever you get a craving is really ment to help aswell. :)

cheers! yeah i have a pile of fruit here beside me and a big bottle of water and soothers for my throat. flying through them though.
    carrot sticks, there's a good one, i love carrots :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

Mackman wrote: »
    cheers! yeah i have a pile of fruit here beside me and a big bottle of water and soothers for my throat. flying through them though.
    carrot sticks, there's a good one, i love carrots :)

They're great for munching on! I love fruit sticks though..pineapple.. mango.. melon..YUM! Anyways I wish you the best of luck hun, get better soon too! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Congrats Mackman - it's the best decision you will ever make. All the best with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

just take each moment/day at a time!

I gave up January, started the C25k program in February and joined Weight Watchers in March.

It says everywhere that gaining is weight is inevitable when giving up smoking. Not so for me!

Six months on I've run 10k and I've lost 2 stone and best of all I've been a non smoker for 6 months!

Its different for everyone but I found C25k and doing Weight Watchers massive distraction.

Best of luck. Great to see you've made the decision to give up and you're serious about it. Keep posting here and you will get plenty of support. I know it really helped me! :)

Thanks everyone! im half way through the first day, im jonesing big time!! Gonna stick with it though :)

@dolliemix, ive been exerciising quite a bit lately and its partly the reason im giving up. Im hoping to at least maintain my weight, and lose some if i can. I have been eating a bit more today alright, its just out of boredom though.
    Instead of havin a fag, ill have a snack. Have to be careful about that.

Thanks everyone! im half way through the first day, im jonesing big time!! Gonna stick with it though :)

@dolliemix, ive been exerciising quite a bit lately and its partly the reason im giving up. Im hoping to at least maintain my weight, and lose some if i can. I have been eating a bit more today alright, its just out of boredom though.
    Instead of havin a fag, ill have a snack. Have to be careful about that.

Great that you're already in the exercise zone!

Don't be too hard on yourself the first week or two. The first part of giving up smoking is harder at first than the first part of losing weight if you get what I'm saying. Give this first two weeks over completely to giving up smoking. That is your priority. If you can get to the end of this week without smoking that will be a major achievement.

Giving up smoking becomes easier with time I promise so you won't be obsessing about substituting cravings for food forever. Its normal at the start. Keep going! Where are you based? Does WA stand for Western Australia? Its 8.30 in the morning here (in Ireland) and it sounds like you've already done half a day! :)

dolliemix wrote: »
    Great that you're already in the exercise zone!

Don't be too hard on yourself the first week or two. The first part of giving up smoking is harder at first than the first part of losing weight if you get what I'm saying. Give this first two weeks over completely to giving up smoking. That is your priority. If you can get to the end of this week without smoking that will be a major achievement.

Giving up smoking becomes easier with time I promise so you won't be obsessing about substituting cravings for food forever. Its normal at the start. Keep going! Where are you based? Does WA stand for Western Australia? Its 8.30 in the morning here (in Ireland) and it sounds like you've already done half a day! :)

Cheers for the advice, yeah WA stands for Western Australia. Nearly time to go home now :)

A little bit harder today. cravings are a lot stronger.
    Also, ive realised how irritating every little thing is, im getting pretty grumpy.

****in ciggarette's :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Think of how happy you'll feel after getting through a tough day like today! Nothing worthwhile comes easy!

Give yourself short term aims. I'll just try and get Day 2 done.

And be grumpy :D

The cravings and irritability, they will pass and a point will come where they will no longer be an issue FOREVER. Just be aware that they'll be with you for the next week or two. It sucks but they will go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

You're doing great Mackman. The first few days are the hardest, as time passes it will become easier. You just have to stick with it. Sipping on fruit juice for the first few days helped me, the website www.whyquit.com is good to dip in to as well. I am off them one year next Wednesday and I have such a sense of achievement. It is the best thing you will ever do m'dear, stay strong and keep posting here to let us know how you are getting on :)

Cheers Guys, comin to the end of Day 3 now. Doin pretty good. I was out sick from work today bacause of the flu, and i got pretty bored and i was hangin for one. Somebody tell me it gets easier :( Ive heard once a smoker, always a smoker. Do the cravings EVER stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Hey Mackman!
    Stick with it! I have given up to, i'm on day four as of today!
    I think, if you feel it is extreamly hard for you, maybe get patches for a week to help you continue on kicking the habit and some minty/peppermint gums for when you get cravings. As far as i can tell from other people on here, the cravings go after a few weeks but do pop up the very odd ODD time...

Your doing great to get this far, dont give up on giving up dude!

I think, if you feel it is extreamly hard for you, maybe get patches for a week to help you continue on kicking the habit

No offence readyletsgo but Mackman, please do not listen to that advice under any circumstances. You are going cold-turkey (day 3 was the hardest for me and then it got easier) from being a 17 a day man. You are ridding your body of nicotine for the first time in years. Why then you would turn around and pump your body full of nictoine through NRT is beyond me.:confused: I know it is well intentioned but you are doomed to fail if you go down that route after coming this far.

You are doing great. It does get easier, the cravings do lessen.

I was a 30+ a day girl, totally addicted for many years. Giving up was hard, I remember for the first while thinking I would never ever think of anything else but each craving becomes less severe and a little less in duration so you just have to be patient and realise if nicotine wasn't such a poisonus awful thing in the first place you wouldn't be feeling so sh1t.

Stick with it love, and get well soon xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    No offence readyletsgo but Mackman, please do not listen to that advice under any circumstances....

None taken!

Miss Fluff is right, stick with the cold turkey! You've come this far.
    Best of luck!

Onto day 4 now, i feel a lot better today. My body actually feels healthier, i didnt think there would be a difference already but there is. I hope i get over this dose of the flu soon so i can get back to exercising.

Another side effect ive noticed is that im not as tired. I can get out of bed much more easily in the morning. And i have more energy in the evenings.
    I didnt know about that, i just always thought i wasn't a morning person. :)

Im glad im doing is cold turkey, it feels good not to have any nicotine in me.

That was a tough weekend. Had to go to a 5 years olds birthday party yesterday, nothing makes ya want a fag like a room full of 30 screaming children :mad:

Then Fremantle lost the footy :(

So i went home and had a few beers, which turned into 7 really easily. I didnt want a fag though. That was one of my main concerns was smoking while drinking, but i was fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Nice one Mackman - you're doing great!

• Advertisement

So i went home and had a few beers, which turned into 7 really easily. I didnt want a fag though. That was one of my main concerns was smoking while drinking, but i was fine :)

I think it's quite good to do that early on in the quitting process. A lot of people quit, avoid the pub like the plague for a few weeks in case they lapse, and then fulfil their own prophecy by going to the pub, getting lamped, and smoking. Better to have a few beers early on so that you get used to drinking without having a smoke.

You're nearly a week off them now - keep up the great work!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

Well done Mackman you are doing good - I am off them a week aswell so I feel the pain of the cravings, but as you are learning each one is easier. Also the fact that if I do smoke I will have to go through the pain of the first few days again! REALLY NOT WORTH IT.....
    Stick with it

Thanks everyone! :)

Little over a week now. Feeling good, having some bad cravings though. It feels that this week is harder than last week.

Ive started back exercising too. Hopefully that'll curb the weight gain a bit :)

I also bought myself a small present at the weekend with some of the money i saved that week. Made me feel good to treat myself, so im gonna do it every week. Just an extra little incentive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Hey Mackman,
    How's the quitting going for you? I quit around the same time as you, so I know exactly what you are going through =)

All the extra cash is great eh? I'm finding that I'm actually saving about 1.5 times the price of a box of smokes each day because I'm not buying all the extra crap that you always pick up when you go in for a pack =P

hi oeb,

im going ok, had a bad day yesterday, felt like tearing someone's head off. Thankfully the OH knew what was goin on and left me alone to kill a bunch of terrorists on the PS3 :), Then i did some exercise and felt pretty good after all that.

One thing i have noticed during exercise is that my heart rate doesnt go as high as it used to. it used to go easily up to 140/150bpm, now at the same pace it ony reaches 110/120bpm. its amazing! I have to go quite a bit faster to get my heart rate up.

The cash is great too. Although most of the money is going straight into saving for our wedding. I used to need $130-150 during the week (mon-fri), now i can survive on around $50. its great!
    And as you said, you dont buy all the crap that goes along with it - cans of coke, crisps, chocolate, ice cream.

Glad you're still goin. Its been two weeks already. If you can do two weeks, you can do 2 months, 2 years, and eventually forever. Keep going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

Just had a read of your thread. Well done! Hope you feel really good about yourself!

I'm heading into day 3 and am sorta dreading it. Found today (day 2) really hard and have heard that day 3 is the last of the serious nicotine leaving the body and so it's the day of the strongest cravings!

Keep fighting the good fight!

Brilliant to see you're still going Mackman. Well done!

Good for you Daisy getting through Day 1 and 2. Just take one day at a time. I know it feels like it will never get easier but it does!

Cheers guys!

3 weeks and 2 days now. Its getting easier i think. Im getting used to not smoking at my usual times. And i dont think about it as often.

Went over to a mates house on sat night and drank my body weight in beer, had a few cravings but the more drunk i got, the less i thought about it surprisingly. it helped that no one else was smoking to. Was fecking dying on Sunday though, and i was like a bear! almost exploded at the smallest of things. which is not like me when im hungover.

Thats one of my worries. Im doin great at the moment, but none of my friends here (Australia) smoke. I was the only one. So i makes it easier. What happens when i get home and im surrounded by smokers again? (a lot of my friends back home smoke) I know its gonna be a whole new battle and ill be thrown back into the hell of temptation.

But that wont be till next year, so i hope ill have the will power to overcome it then. One week at a time :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

What happens is that you say "Ah, sure one wouldn't hurt" and try one, then another...

So you have to recognise that "ah, sure" moment and drink some water or go for a run instead.

Advertisement