Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

slow drivers time of the year

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

If I ever die in a car crash it will be because of slow drivers!

There like a virus on our awful road network.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

Heroditas wrote: »
    I wish people would learn how to be drive like they do in South Africa.

In all fairneess SA does not have a good mortality rate on the roads..

Patsy fyre wrote: »

There like a virus on our awful road network.

Slow drivers can be a bit annoying alright if you're in a hurry... they are just plodding doing their best.

If you're an experienced driver and have a few horses under the bonnet then a slow driver is generally not an issue. But if it’s not safe to overtake then just wait. In fact slow a way down and build up a distance between you and the car in front… it’ll ‘feel’ a lot better. :)

I'm not a RSA advocate; I think their advertising campaign is focusing on the wrong issues but that’s a personal thing… but I would say one thing. Don’t put yourself in a position where you can collide, in a standard produciton road-car it’s get’s very messy and squishy.

Again this is a personal opinion, what’s nearly worse than a road death is a road brain injury. The family have to deal with that crap for a long time for the sake of a few mins.

johnos1984 wrote: »
    I thought the same but was corrected.

If it is safe to do so you can drive in the hard shoulder to allow others overtake you

I didn't know that. Interesting. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Angers my blood allot.

The temptation to preform a dodgie overtake or flash lights, or beep just makes me look like a coont and guaranteed they wont have a clue what your on about. (pluss all of the above are classed as aggressive or dangerous driving)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

No it won't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Given the absolute muppet in the car in front of me driving up the arse of the car in front of him so closely he repeatedly had to brake, I doubt it.
    Yer one was doing the speed limit (which is admittedly a bit slow at 80kph on the way to enfield) but he was driving right up to her, nearly beside her at one stage, didn't feel the need to overtake on the tiny bit of road that you're allowed to. Seriously dangerous carryon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Although I drive near enough to the posted limit, if someone wants to get past I'll pull over to the hard shoulder, where safe. Will only do it during the day though, too many ninja cyclists/pedestrians around with no lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

concussion wrote: »
    Although I drive near enough to the posted limit, if someone wants to get past I'll pull over to the hard shoulder, where safe. Will only do it during the day though, too many ninja cyclists/pedestrians around with no lights.

I got the living daylights scared out of me one night after a farmer had parked a trailer with no lights/refectors on it on the hard shoulder! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

CarMuppet wrote: »
    In all fairneess SA does not have a good mortality rate on the roads..

Oh I agree, it can be carnage over there.

However, I do like the aspect of people pulling over and letting others overtake them.
    It's simply good manners.

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »

However, I do like the aspect of people pulling over and letting others overtake them.
    It's simply good manners.

you're dead right... manners would go a long way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

98% of accidents are caused by slow drivers.

I have absolutely no source for this. But its true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

god almighty, just drove from carlow to my house, ten minutes of a national road. stuck behind a 07 jeep that wouldnt go above 70km/h. constant traffic coming the toher way and COULD NOT get past. driving a pretty quick car, but no gaps and the ****er wouldnt pull in in the slightest.

huge queue behind me by the time i got home.

i am furious right now

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

ottostreet wrote: »
    god almighty, just drove from carlow to my house, ten minutes of a national road. stuck behind a 07 jeep that wouldnt go above 70km/h. constant traffic coming the toher way and COULD NOT get past. driving a pretty quick car, but no gaps and the ****er wouldnt pull in in the slightest.

i am furious right now
    ah but you got home in one piece, that rattles me aswell being behind a twat like that, now i dont pass any heed on them cos it dont do my blood pressure any good so i just back of them or stop a shop on the way to get water or paper. what was the speed limit anyway on the road ye were on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I love the stuff some people write here:rolleyes: .

If only it were true.

I am German. It is true.
    You can however blow past the Polizei at 220 km/h with them doing about 110 km/h in their van, and...nothing.
    Because it's legal.
    I can only encourage everyone to find an empty stretch of Autobahn and do 240 km/h+, it is the best fun you can gave with your clothes on.
    The German ROTR state:

Im Übrigen ist stets § 1 der StVO zu beachten, der besagt, dass jeder Verkehrsteilnehmer sich so zu verhalten hat, dass kein Anderer geschädigt, gefährdet oder mehr, als nach den Umständen unvermeidbar, behindert oder belästigt wird. Hieraus folgt, dass man, insofern es die Gegebenheiten zulassen, die zulässige Höchstgeschwindigkeit nicht sehr weit unterschreiten darf.

Which means:
    Every participant in traffic has to behave in such a way that no one gets injured, damaged, endangered and according to circumstances, is not being inconvenienced and troubled. From this follows that the maximum speed limit should not be undercut by a significant amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

cats.life wrote: »
    ah but you got home in one piece, that rattles me aswell being behind a twat like that, now i dont pass any heed on them cos it dont do my blood pressure any good so i just back of them or stop a shop on the way to get water or paper. what was the speed limit anyway on the road ye were on?

100 zone. and yeah, i got home in one piece, but i could have gotten home in one piece ten minutes quicker! well, a few minutes. and i wouldnt have had to change between 4th and 5th constantly because of the slowly varying speed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I got stuck behind a 3 series doing 60-70kph in a 100 zone for about 10 miles this evening.

I didn't get frustrated though and just presumed it was a 316 accelerating hard :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Gazzydee

hey i have a 316 ! i got 125mph in germany on the autobahn out of it :)!

but if im on a motorway and someone behind me in a faster car wants tu fly by i pull in without a second thought!!

thing is u gotta have respect for people who want to go faster than u otherwise u cause alot of anger and a big accident!!!

i also like the fact someone from germany could back me up on that one! i believe they have a very low road death rate and as soon as a crash happens the road is cleared within minutes the way things shud be here !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Done Donegal Town to Galway today, stuck behind a Red VW Golf (01 so 20**** - hope you're reading;)). They were doing 60 kph along the n17, which is 100, between sligo and tubercurry and I had no way around them! I thought my head was going to explode - really, I did:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Seriously though - these people are way more prevelant and dangerous than speeders. They should get points just the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

BESman wrote: »
    The speed limit is designed in such a way that that speed is the most appropriate for that stretch of road.
    Where ROTR/Driving regulations actually make sense and are enforced properly, sure, I'd agree with that. Here, though, you might aswell throw that idea out the window.

The N6, dub-galway route got cut back to 80km/h in most places once the motorway went in, was 100km/h previous to that IIRC - for the most part, it's every bit as good as the motorway is quality wise.

The little country/bog-road-esque route to my girlfriends house, just about 1 car width, loads of blind corners, has craters (not potholes, craters) everywhere.... also has a speed limit of 80km/h.
    I don't think it should be up to the driver's discretion whether he should drive at the limit suggested or choose to drive 20km slower than the limit. They should drive at the limit that applies, no more or less.
    Weather/road/traffic conditions aside, I'd agree...
    cronin_j wrote: »
    Well in England if your driving too slow youll get pulled over for dangerous driving...
    Again, somewhere that actually has proper legislation for driving.
    Dunno how many times i was told when i first started driving that " speed limits are limits not targets"
    Who hasn't heard that one tbh.
    Drove from Limerick to Dublin there Sunday night, when i got to the Nass bypass i moved into the inside lane, stuck to the 100 and was flying by people in the middle and overtaking lane, i know im not supposed to but i didnt give a ****, they were the ones that caused me to pass them. I only moved out of my lane when i got to newlands cross.
    Funny thing is, though, despite them doing not 1 but 2 things wrong, if you were caught, you'd be the one in shít.
    corktina wrote: »
    I went to Duberlin yesterday....got to the N7 and there were two guys in the middle lane doing about 70k towing horseboxes...just caught up to them and one decided to overtake the other....71k in lane 3....:rolleyes: (Yes it was a Transit ...)...feck I hate that road....I only want to do the limit and Im happy in lane 1 (all on my own..), so whats with these gob****es in lane 2 practically parked ?...
    It's always lovely when that happens, except not just with people towing horseboxes - any sort of trailer, artics, HGVs, etc.. takes about 5 minutes for them to get ahead of the other one..
    Gazzydee wrote: »
    these two kinds of people are of the same kind! a danger to irish roads! ive even spotted cyclists on motorways! and where are the guards ?!

too busy pulling people over tht go 3kmh over the speed limit!!
    You'd spot all sorts on motorways tbh, that big blue sign saying who isn't allowed on - sure that's only there for a laugh.

I've never, ever seen Gardaí pull anyone for going too slow. Fúck it, I've been stuck in a line of traffic 20 cars+ long because of tractors going 15km/h with a squad sitting in the middle of it, anything done? Nope.
    ottostreet wrote: »

i am furious right now
    I had something worse earlier - coming back from oughterard to galway, got stuck behind a truck carring some kind of machinery, and behind that was a HGV... both doing about 60km/h or so... Same situation, constant traffic coming towards, and then the only gap the whole way - the fecking HGV decides to spend an age overtaking the truck, INTO oncoming traffic for some part of it. Took 20-30 mins going out, took about 45+ coming back.
    but if im on a motorway and someone behind me in a faster car wants tu fly by i pull in without a second thought!!

thing is u gotta have respect for people who want to go faster than u otherwise u cause alot of anger and a big accident!!!
    See, over here, if someones on a motorway, and a car comes up behind them going faster, they decide to try a career as a pace-car. "Think you'll go faster than me, do ya?! OHOH!"
    gleep wrote: »
    Seriously though - these people are way more prevelant and dangerous than speeders. They should get points just the same.

I've heard of cases where people have been taken to court for almost causing accidents for driving slowly, forcing others to overtake, then getting agressive when they do...etc

Judges favour the slow driver, always saying they can drive at whatever speed they like under the limit. Insane tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Some people refuse,myself included,because it's never too safe to drive in there.On a straight stretch with no junctions,yes,other than that you can go and twiddle if you think I'm going endangering the life of not so much myself but of others who may come out of a side road or anything unexpected.If you want to die by all means,overtake me into oncoming traffic,i didnt force you into the move,you took the risk not the opportunity.If you cause any driver to alter his course by taking evasive action to avoid you,it's a plain and simple dangerous driving conviction,have fun with your insurance premium after that one :).

You could pull in and stop if there's a queue of traffic behind you. I've been stuck in queues of traffic 20 cars deep behind morons before and plenty of spots for them to pull in and let cars go by. They should be pulled off the road for allowing such queues to form imo.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    using the hard shoulder to let someone overtake is not illegal. Slow drivers please take note.

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/traffic-signs-road-markings/road-markings.html

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/traffic-signs-road-markings/road-markings.html

A single broken yellow line along the side of the road

This road contains a hard shoulder, which is normally only for pedestrians and cyclists. If a driver wants to allow a vehicle behind them to overtake, they may pull in to the hard shoulder briefly as long as no pedestrians or cyclists are already using it and no junctions or entrances are nearby. Different rules exist for hard shoulders on motorways. See Motorways section for details.
    Remember the conditions only if they can enter the hard shoulder.
    No Driver cannot consistently drive on the hard shoulder. It is driving without due care.

There maybe an insurance requirements that may deny you from driving on the hard shoulder or prevent you from Insurance cover, in which you need to read your Insurance Policy on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Well in England if your driving too slow youll get pulled over for dangerous driving...

Here unfortunately there is such a culture of speed related deaths that the law is somewhat backward...

Dunno how many times i was told when i first started driving that " speed limits are limits not targets"
    I wish going too slow in comparison to other traffic was cause for dangerous driving in this country. But the onus is on the driver to see everything in front of them and to avoid crashing by giving enough space to break in time.
    While i agree that some roads have stupidly high speed limits, on motorways and dual carriage ways theres no excuse not to be travelling at the speed limit.

What i cant understand is the people that travel at say 90 km/hr on a primary road and not 100 km/hr when its perfectly safe, nothing grinds my gears more (with the exception of overtaking lane hoggers)

Drove from Limerick to Dublin there Sunday night, when i got to the Nass bypass i moved into the inside lane, stuck to the 100 and was flying by people in the middle and overtaking lane, i know im not supposed to but i didnt give a ****, they were the ones that caused me to pass them. I only moved out of my lane when i got to newlands cross.
    On "the rules of the Road" booklet, you are perfectly entitled to overtake traffic on the left lane, if there is slow moving traffic on the overtaking lanes to your right.
    http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/good-driving-practice/overtaking.html
    You may overtake on the left when

• You want to go straight ahead when the driver in front of you has moved out and signalled that they intend to turn right.
    • You have signalled that you intend to turn left.
    • Traffic in both lanes is moving slowly and traffic in the left-hand lane is moving more quickly than the traffic in the right-hand lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Some people refuse,myself included,because it's never too safe to drive in there.On a straight stretch with no junctions,yes,other than that you can go and twiddle if you think I'm going endangering the life of not so much myself but of others who may come out of a side road or anything unexpected.If you want to die by all means,overtake me into oncoming traffic,i didnt force you into the move,you took the risk not the opportunity.

So you have no problem with letting people who want to go faster than you get caught behind and your attitude is
    If you want to die by all means,overtake me into oncoming traffic

Tell me, is your job to enforce what speed people travel at? Do you work in the Traffic Corps?...Because if you don't, and you are willing to hold up those that want to go faster than you are, then you are among the most dangerous type of people on the road. :mad::mad:

Why do you think other countries, such as England, have rules that prohibit driving too slow ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

salonfire wrote: »
    So you have no problem with letting people who want to go faster than you get caught behind and your attitude is

Tell me, is your job to enforce what speed people travel at? Do you work in the Traffic Corps?...Because if you don't, and you are willing to hold up those that want to go faster than you are, then you are among the most dangerous type of people on the road. :mad::mad:

Why do you think other countries, such as England, have rules that prohibit driving too slow ??

Where do you deduce all that from?
    It was prettly clear that he was referring to those drivers (there's plenty of them) who pressurise others into moving into the hardshoulder near a bend or junction or anywhere that he can't see to be safe. Would you prefer him having to swerve back onto the carriage-way to avoid some tractor that suddenly pulled out from a field? He is absolutely right not to move over until he can see the hardshoulder is safe. That's a universal law no matter what country you're driving in.

Also, don't forget that the "stubborn" driver might have noticed something or has local knowledge of certain risks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

slimjimmc wrote: »
    It was prettly clear that he was referring to those drivers (there's plenty of them) who pressurise others into moving into the hardshoulder near a bend or junction or anywhere that he can't see to be safe. Would you prefer him having to swerve back onto the carriage-way to avoid some tractor that suddenly pulled out from a field? He is absolutely right not to move over until he can see the hardshoulder is safe. That's a universal law no matter what country you're driving in.

Also, don't forget that the "stubborn" driver might have noticed something or has local knowledge of certain risks.

I see your point and of course no one wants you to move to the hard shoulder before a bend or in darkness or dangerous conditions.
    Would you not, however, move over on a perfectly straight stretch of road with good visibility as you're doing 80 km/h (for whatever reason, luggage or condition of car;)) and let others pass?
    Surely that's reasonable.
    Having said that I have passed on many an opportunity to overtake where the car in front of me pulled onto the hard shoulder to let me overtake before a blind bend or crest of a hill.
    Seriously, I'm not that desperate to get past!
    I actually think things have improved somewhat over the last 15 years, when I came here first every 3rd driver was a beat up, 15 year old Golf or Fiesta, held together by bailing twine, headlights full of water, rust holes you could stick your first through and (honestly) a plant growing out from under the passenger seat!
    These cars would usually crawl along the hard shoulder doing about 40-60 km/h so you can get past, others would actually drive with one wheel over the middle line so no one could get past them.
    The aul' lads who did that are slowly dying out and a new generation is slowly taking over.
    Once drove to Dublin from Limerick on a Sunday evening. Unbroken line of cars from horizon to horizon and the whole lot moving steady at 100 km/h, I was amazed!
    Then around Nenagh there was the standard farmer's issue blue, 15 year old Golf being driven by a guy in his 60's at 60 km/h. Every single driver gave him hell, beeping, flashing, swearing, tipping brakes, etc... and himself (I saw it going past beeping) behind the wheel, big, mad, insane head on him, rocking violently back and forth, banging the dash and the steering wheel.
    I hope he never drove again after that. And I would argue that being bullied by every single person you encounter sends out a message, that what you are doing is unacceptable, so it can be a positive thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

slimjimmc wrote: »

Thank you Slim Jim for your translation,100%correct:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Some old dear does 20mph on every road in Limerick in her Honda Jazz, and I always get stuck behind!

Almost have to pull in and calm down I get so irate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 D.a.v.i.d

On the Autobahn in Germany you get kicked off the motorway for goin under 80mph on some parts if that rule was enforced in here in Ireland then there would be almost 0 accidents and road deaths on motorways!!!!!!

What happens when Flat-Out Fred comes to Afraid-To-Floor-It-Frank??

I drove in Germany earlier this year and i did not see ONE lane hogger, except for the BMW sticking to the outside doing god knows what speed! (i was at 210k and it flew past). Thats SAFE lane hogging icon10.gif

What im trying to get at is, if the incompitent, selfish irish driver is used to 80kmh on a 120kmh road in the centre or outside lane...whats going to make them speed up on an unlimited road?

The closing speeds would be too great...so frank would meet fred very quickly and thats that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That's why "Afraid-To-Floor-It-Frank" gets kicked off the motorway.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Advertisement