Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To much Conspirecy bad thing???

Options
  • 05-07-2010 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

I have been reading through some threads, and noticed that some posters seem to be so wraped up in the conspirecy bubble that they have abandoned any sense of logic and reason, almost has a religous/fanatical feel to it with no checks and balances.

Having spent alot of time looking into this subject myself I can certianly see how this would happen, alot of the stories are amazing and really stimulate the imagination, largley helped by the person telling the Story who is usually very intelligent and carasmatic. Add to this the sense that you have stumbled accross some big secret that only you and a hand full of ENLITGHTENED people know about, So it's your Job to unravell the mystery while everyone else is asleep in the Matrix,

It's all very intoxicating and easy to get lost in the myriad of ideas and theories, All the while your usual checks and balances falling away as the theories get more and more complicated and imaginative, Not realizing that you have created your own little matrix, and your mind has become just as closed if not more so then the Sheeple you claim to be trying to enlighten!

Im not saying all conspirecies are rubbish far from it, just some people don't know when to stop digging!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I guess it's because so many stories are open to personal viewpoint/beliefs. You can basically create a conspiracy around a bottle of milk if you wish, and for some people, the truth may seem more/less real than others.

I'm sure you'll agree that everyone is absoloutley entitled to believe in whatever they choose. For me it only gets irritating when people (myself included) are accused of being "asleep", or not intelligent enough to realise the conspiracy.

I personally dont't put any faith in the whole Lizard conspiracy. It's my own belief that most conspiracies revolve around money/political gain. But I'd NEVER begrudge someone else for giving the Lizard theory any credance, just because I dont see it.

Regardless, it's always very interesting to read some of the theories on here, regardless of whether you put any faith in them or not. You never know, something might click with you & you'll find yourself a believer ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

mugs1 wrote: »
    IIm not saying all conspirecies are rubbish far from it, just some people don't know when to stop digging!!

In other words any conspiracies that you feel are valid is ok anything that doesn't tick your conspiracy checklist is creating "your own little matrix"?

Fairly arrogant pov to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I have been reading through some threads, and noticed that some posters seem to be so wraped up in the conspirecy bubble that they have abandoned any sense of logic and reason, almost has a religous/fanatical feel to it with no checks and balances.

Comments like this are, effectively, insulting other posters here.

Please don't do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I think what OP means is there sometimes seems to a line between conspiracy theories and paranoia... Most of the time the first someone would say to me after putting forward an idea or theory is that im just being paranoid...

I can step back sometimes and go, what if i am being paranoid? or am i just seeing what other people cant.

Hes so crazy he doesnt know hes crazy sort of an argument.

AlcoholicA wrote: »
    I think what OP means is there sometimes seems to a line between conspiracy theories and paranoia...

What the OP said, though, is not only is there such a line but that they feel some posters here have crossed it.

This is the bit I object to.

If you think its acceptable to make derogatory comments about other posters' thought processes, then I'd ask that you make a case for that on the "Feedback" thread stickied at the top of the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Im kind of used to that assumption to posters here. hes not the first to say things like that and he wont be the last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭mugs1

bonkey wrote: »
    Comments like this are, effectively, insulting other posters here.

Please don't do that.

With all due respect...

I haven't insulted anyone, My comment wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, it is merley my reasonable opinion based on what i've read on this public forum.

No different to giving my opinion on the views of an author in a book!

bonkey wrote: »
    What the OP said, though, is not only is there such a line but that they feel some posters here have crossed it.

This is the bit I object to.

If you think its acceptable to make derogatory comments about other posters' thought processes, then I'd ask that you make a case for that on the "Feedback" thread stickied at the top of the forum.

What Im saying is.... I am asking the Question Is digging into Conspirecey theories to much... a bad thing!! I then gave an explanation why im asking the question, and gave a short outline why i think it might be!

I have made no derogatory comments about anyone's Thought processes to say I have is a bit over the top to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I think you are mistaken regarding the comment that there are no checks and balances on this forum.

I think you'll find that the most common form of "check and balance" is provided by the regular users of the forum, and also the moderators.
    I haven't seen posters getting away with a lack of logic or reason because there are plenty of users here more than willing to use counter arguments.

My two cents.

In other words any conspiracies that you feel are valid is ok anything that doesn't tick your conspiracy checklist is creating "your own little matrix"?

Fairly arrogant pov to be fair.

That wasn't what I meant in that at all, the point I was trying to get accross is and i'll use the digging analogy again.

When your digging a hole stop digging every now and again, lift your head, and take a look around just to make sure you haven't dug so deep you can't get out!!

• Advertisement

tallus wrote: »
    I think you are mistaken regarding the comment that there are no checks and balances on this forum.

I think you'll find that the most common form of "check and balance" is provided by the regular users of the forum, and also the moderators.
    I haven't seen posters getting away with a lack of logic or reason because there are plenty of users here more than willing to use counter arguments.

My two cents.

Hi tallus,

Yes I agree, I've seen alot of good counter arguments made, but all to often they are convienently ignored, and as such wild sweeping statments of unsubstantiated claims presented as fact, takes the place of intellegent debate!!

That wasn't what I meant in that at all, the point I was trying to get accross is and i'll use the digging analogy again.

When your digging a hole stop digging every now and again, lift your head, and take a look around just to make sure you haven't dug so deep you can't get out!!

I believe I understood you, you've just reititerated your previous statements as far as I can tell. "digging the hole" is digging further away from your position, that is to say the correct and proper position, which is why I took it as arrogant, still do.

Now I just can't see the difference between you claiming to have it all figured out and a vocal conspiracy theorist, or probably more accurately what you are describing is a new-age follower or paranormal enthusiast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

Im not saying all conspirecies are rubbish far from it, just some people don't know when to stop digging!!

OOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKK , ssssssssssssooooooooooo , i will to have to check the threads on the forum , must be something there we are not supposed to be digging into , :rolleyes: , i'll be doing some serious digging now . :D

just some people don't know when to stop digging!!

Is it this one here ? : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055951491

espinolman wrote: »

Sorry, i don't see your point at all!!!

Jaysus I've really disturbed the hornets nest here haven't I :D

I like it, I think it's good, it's healthy!!!

Im startin to feel like were connecting.... you know bonding like :p

I believe I understood you, you've just reititerated your previous statements as far as I can tell. "digging the hole" is digging further away from your position, that is to say the correct and proper position, which is why I took it as arrogant, still do.

Now I just can't see the difference between you claiming to have it all figured out and a vocal conspiracy theorist, or probably more accurately what you are describing is a new-age follower or paranormal enthusiast.

Im sorry but thats just weak....

how's that for arrogance!!!

Sorry, i don't see your point at all!!!

What is it we should not find out about ?

What do you think could happen if we found out ?

Holy crap dude what are you on about.... just get to it and make your point already!!!

I think I know what your on about...

this should be funny :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Holy crap dude what are you on about.... just get to it and make your point already!!!

"Some people don't know when to stop digging "

Stop digging into what exactly ?

Is there something on the forum ?

"Some people don't know when to stop digging "

Stop digging into what exactly ?

Is there something on the forum ?

Oh, you actually have no point to make at all do you.

Im sorry but thats just weak....

how's that for arrogance!!!

How is it weak? Explain it to me because I think you are wrong.

I'm not saying you are or aren't an arrogant person, your position in this case is however arrogant.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

There are certain threads here that plenty of reasonable evidence has been given to discount the original conspiracy. I suppose if somebody continues to hold that belief and indeed far more worryingly, still holds it to be a fact or true, that is worrying.

Overall, I don't think it is a big problem on this Board.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    There are certain threads here that plenty of reasonable evidence has been given to discount the original conspiracy. I suppose if somebody continues to hold that belief and indeed far more worryingly, still holds it to be a fact or true, that is worrying.

Overall, I don't think it is a big problem on this Board.

True. To be fair that is equally the case on the other side of the fence as well. Complete refusal to accept legitimate evidence supporting a CT.

With all due respect...

I haven't insulted anyone, My comment wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, it is merley my reasonable opinion based on what i've read on this public forum.

Please read the charter. Pay attention to the bit which says :

Please don't use sweeping generalisations which indirectly attack or belittle other posters here.

I don't care one whit that your comment wasn't aimed at anyone "in particular". You made your comments about some posters, which means you clearly feel that some poster or posters here fir the bill. Not naming them doesn't make your insults acceptable.

Please also pay attention to the bit which says :

Don't argue with moderator decisions in-thread

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

It's all very intoxicating and easy to get lost in the myriad of ideas and theories
    "That's entertainment!" Beats the soaps.

Methinks most CTs are really not CTs, but often resulting from government incompetence, which, around election time, they try to cover up like cats in a litter box.

That is not to say there are no CTs, but the odds are the real ones we would never discover on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Having spent alot of time looking into this subject myself I can certianly see how this would happen, alot of the stories are amazing and really stimulate the imagination, largley helped by the person telling the Story who is usually very intelligent and carasmatic. Add to this the sense that you have stumbled accross some big secret that only you and a hand full of ENLITGHTENED people know about, So it's your Job to unravell the mystery while everyone else is asleep in the Matrix,

It's all very intoxicating and easy to get lost in the myriad of ideas and theories, All the while your usual checks and balances falling away as the theories get more and more complicated and imaginative, Not realizing that you have created your own little matrix, and your mind has become just as closed if not more so then the Sheeple you claim to be trying to enlighten!

To answer your main question i think with some people too much conspiracy theory can be a bad thing.Just as i believe too much ignorance can also be a bad thing.Not that they are reservedly on each side of the same coin.But i find i have learned so much about the world to my obvious advantage that conspiracy theories have done more good than harm in my case.
    There are people i know who are totally reliant on the system created for us (aka mainstreamlife) to give them basis for their version of reality.
    But i see quite clearly this way of living might be blissfull when things are going great but confusion or misdirection is often the result with these people when things arent going so great.Ignorance IS bliss when everything is blissfull imo.
    The flipside is finding out what is actually going on in the world, which leads to a ton of misdirection in itself due to the nature of conspiracy theories being bogged down by misinformation.

As i always say i think its best to strike a balance and also be more self aware, so as to counter ignorance and misinformation.
    Too many people are either bogged down with defending their own point of view to be able to even see other peoples perspectives or appreciate the validity of them.Or even to just let go of themselves or who they think they are and enter into what if discussions about some CT's without worrying they will lose themselves or their identity...maybe im wrong on that just a thought.

If i grew up in an enviornment where i was told that the colour blue is actually green and vice versa then in this isolated enviornment i meet a visitor who argues that the sky is actually blue i would laugh at him because i would already know that colour is obviously green...pft..tourists eh!
    Its the same for all these conspiracy theories except that it is not so black and white..... or green and blue lol
    People will have various different views on life and situations that have occurred.Everyones belief has a valid reason for being in their heads.Everyone is wrong at some stage,so its maybe the lack of this realisation mixed with a sense of loss of self based on our beliefs being wrong or taken away from us that is a bad thing as appose to the CT's themselves or too much of them maybe.
    There is an issue with the brain though and repetition.If you see something enough times your brain will aknowledge it as existing and integrate it into your beliefs or memories from what i have been reading.So its wise to choose carefully or be very self aware when programming your brain and mind.Especially if its in the form of TV imo.After all dont people sometimes refer to tv shows as tv programs?What are we programming? The tv or the people watching it?maybe both.

Torakx wrote: »
    To answer your main question i think with some people too much conspiracy theory can be a bad thing.Just as i believe too much ignorance can also be a bad thing.Not that they are reservedly on each side of the same coin.But i find i have learned so much about the world to my obvious advantage that conspiracy theories have done more good than harm in my case.
    There are people i know who are totally reliant on the system created for us (aka mainstreamlife) to give them basis for their version of reality.
    But i see quite clearly this way of living might be blissfull when things are going great but confusion or misdirection is often the result with these people when things arent going so great.Ignorance IS bliss when everything is blissfull imo.
    The flipside is finding out what is actually going on in the world, which leads to a ton of misdirection in itself due to the nature of conspiracy theories being bogged down by misinformation.

As i always say i think its best to strike a balance and also be more self aware, so as to counter ignorance and misinformation.
    Too many people are either bogged down with defending their own point of view to be able to even see other peoples perspectives or appreciate the validity of them.Or even to just let go of themselves or who they think they are and enter into what if discussions about some CT's without worrying they will lose themselves or their identity...maybe im wrong on that just a thought.

If i grew up in an enviornment where i was told that the colour blue is actually green and vice versa then in this isolated enviornment i meet a visitor who argues that the sky is actually blue i would laugh at him because i would already know that colour is obviously green...pft..tourists eh!
    Its the same for all these conspiracy theories except that it is not so black and white..... or green and blue lol
    People will have various different views on life and situations that have occurred.Everyones belief has a valid reason for being in their heads.Everyone is wrong at some stage,so its maybe the lack of this realisation mixed with a sense of loss of self based on our beliefs being wrong or taken away from us that is a bad thing as appose to the CT's themselves or too much of them maybe.
    There is an issue with the brain though and repetition.If you see something enough times your brain will aknowledge it as existing and integrate it into your beliefs or memories from what i have been reading.So its wise to choose carefully or be very self aware when programming your brain and mind.Especially if its in the form of TV imo.After all dont people sometimes refer to tv shows as tv programs?What are we programming? The tv or the people watching it?maybe both.

Some great points well made Torakx.

much appreciated,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Hi tallus,

Yes I agree, I've seen alot of good counter arguments made, but all to often they are convienently ignored, and as such wild sweeping statments of unsubstantiated claims presented as fact, takes the place of intellegent debate!!

If counter arguments are being ignored that still doesn't negate the fact that people are still making them, and therefore I stand over my original point that nobody is getting away with a lack of logic or reason.
    The checks and balances are still in place in my opinion.
    If people choose to ignore opposition to their argument, that doesn't make said opposition disappear.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement