Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hacked

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Still don't believe it dude sorry. I was one of those people. When I was hacked, I was hacked via Chinese pissheads hacking my email account hosting. Nowt wrong with my PC, no viruses, no malware, etc.,
    I had at the time, email hosting via Google, which was via GoDaddy and the password I had in use at the time on my email accounts would've been easy enough to brute force.

They just logged into my email account hosting, requested a new password from blizzard, clicked the link Blizzard sends you in an email to confirm, then deleted the offending email.

So, what's to say they don't do the same thing to others ? How safe is your email account/hosting and how good is the password you use on that ?

The Blizzard Authenticators are a massive help as even if the hacker did get your email account details now, they can do feck all without the authenticator.

It's a wild conspiracy theory to suggest blizzard themselves are/were hacked and that peoples details are or have been available to hackers.
    I'm not saying that it's not possible, just that unless there's hard factual evidence to the contrary, then I'll still be of the opinion that WoW account hacks are the persons own fault one way or the other.

It's still bloody shítty no matter what that people have to worry and put so much thought into protecting a feckin' game they play :(

Lad in work. Work email, sixteen digit password on Wow Account, runs scriptblocker on Browser, locked down firewall. On the day of his account being inactive and him not renewing, his account was "hacked", renewed with a game card and used to gold farm.

Flatmate got hit with something similar and has been anal about these things since his steam account was hit over a year ago. Both times the hack and use of their accounts coincided with them both not using them causing a much higher chance of them not noticing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,893 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

jabberwock wrote: »
    hmm, I would think that a small precentage of the millions Blizzard make every month would go towards keep the servers secure.

If you get hacked it's your fault. Plain and simple. Not matter how secure you think you details are. They got them from you.
    No security is bullet-proof.

While obviously Blizzard probably invests a huge sum of money into serverside security measures, to say its failproof would be farcical. And it's a very target rich environment, as well as a highly lucrative target for hackers.

Even the Power Rangers got attacked at home every couple seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Lad in work. Work email, sixteen digit password on Wow Account, runs scriptblocker on Browser, locked down firewall. On the day of his account being inactive and him not renewing, his account was "hacked", renewed with a game card and used to gold farm.

Flatmate got hit with something similar and has been anal about these things since his steam account was hit over a year ago. Both times the hack and use of their accounts coincided with them both not using them causing a much higher chance of them not noticing.

Still an awful lot of options available to put forward as possible hacks and how they could've happened, at the fault of the user (whether they know it or not) rather than even beginning to think it's Blizzards server security at fault, you're also only going on what your mates told you (or didn't).

I just can't begin to believe that a multi-billion dollar (?) gaming company who are plagued by hackers, gold spammers and other such crap - would not do their absolute utmost to protect their servers and especially their customers accounts and data with the highest possible security. So I don't believe it, until someone shows me different.

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Still an awful lot of options available to put forward as possible hacks and how they could've happened, at the fault of the user (whether they know it or not) rather than even beginning to think it's Blizzards server security at fault, you're also only going on what your mates told you (or didn't).

I just can't begin to believe that a multi-billion dollar (?) gaming company who are plagued by hackers, gold spammers and other such crap - would not do their absolute utmost to protect their servers and especially their customers accounts and data with the highest possible security. So I don't believe it, until someone shows me different.

The Chinese have been spending the last few years working in teams on 24/7 shifts hacking various corporate entities and ISP's. Wow is a huge commercial target outside of industrial espionage. Google are the first large company who have come out and said this is happening. It also played a small part in them pulling out of China. Various other western security experts over the years have insinuated or plainly come out and said that there is a huge issue with this. Blizzard may be aware of this but not aware of how they are currently doing it. Or they might simply be fighting a losing battle. Hacking the actual credit card details would be a another step beyond wow because of how the transaction systems are designed and set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

Just a quick add in here. When I got hacked they enabled an authenticator onto my account, which made it interesting to get my account back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I have yet to be hacked and have pretty much zero security and i see all you guys getting hacked and it makes me a saaaaaad panda..

Srsly, what am i doing right? :confused:

nix wrote: »
    I have yet to be hacked and have pretty much zero security and i see all you guys getting hacked and it makes me a saaaaaad panda..

I wasn't aware you did anything right nix. The Nogs was the first step in a long line of failures.

Failure to what exactly? :confused:

I succeeded in having fun :)

Failure to what exactly? :confused:

I succeeded in having fun :)

Getting your ass kicked. By me. Andy too I suppose.

You wish! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Mthor5

Just a quick add in here. When I got hacked they enabled an authenticator onto my account, which made it interesting to get my account back.

Can i ask how you got on?

I just got an email off blizzard saying my account was suspended.I tried to log in
    but it now requires an authenticator code which i never used,also my account has been frozen/inactive since May.

Same story with Starcraft 2, that requires an authenticator code too.

Filled out the blizzard webform details etc,never been hacked before!:eek:

Took about a day to get his stuff back. He was also left with 30k on his account from the two weeks the goldseller had access.

I havent played starcraft 2 in a few weeks either so im not sure how long they have had my account, but i had a few lvl 80's with about 120,000 in gold and a lot of mats...guess the git sold a lot of it and got caught or something,not expecting a gold surplus :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

You seem to be more careful than others when looking for pr0n :pac:

Mthor5 wrote: »
    Can i ask how you got on?

I just got an email off blizzard saying my account was suspended.I tried to log in
    but it now requires an authenticator code which i never used,also my account has been frozen/inactive since May.

Same story with Starcraft 2, that requires an authenticator code too.

Filled out the blizzard webform details etc,never been hacked before!:eek:
    just an update.....all sorted through the webform,fairly quick too :)

Got all items back,took an hour or so going through the blizzard in game mails, + got about 40/50k in profit from his/her ah dealing to date(seemed to have a titanium/saronite/adders tongue addiction) and still about 100 transactions still on ah.
    Oh, and free play time until the 29th:cool: (not that i'll use it):pac:

I finally got hacked, ****!

I'm unsure as to when they got my account details, do they attack the account itself? is it just my wow details that would be compromised?

Should i be worrying about credit card details also?

I got a virus last week and got a fresh reinstall at the start of the week and used a character transfer with my ma's credit card, should i ask her to check her visa transactions?

Just done a avg scan and it found nothing so im pretty sure it all happened prior to my reformat, or is there another scan i should do with other software?

****!

Yeah get rid of that AVG crap for a start :)
    Personally I use Comodo AV and it's grand but there's a few other free choices out there besides that AVG.

If you were keylogged, which would be likely, then yeah, worth keeping an eye on your mothers visa transactions.

Change your email password(s) also but just make sure before you do that there are no traces of any keylogger still on your system, otherwise it's pointless changing passwords if you can still be keylogged.

Get a copy of Secunia PSI installed via http://secunia.com/blog/123 and run a full scan, updating software when required so your system is as secure as is possible (most browers are usually insecure in one way or another but at least get the latest versions of them). Opera and Chrome seem the most secure these days.

Did you get everything sorted out Nix?

Advertisement