Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hacked

Options
  • 05-07-2010 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

So I logged on today, to find that i got hacked. So anyone know how blizzard handles stuff now, regarding getting gold/items and characters back that has been deleted?

Are they quick with their responses? been such a bitch, I don't get why the hacked delete your chars. like ok take my gold raid the bank etc etc, but why be a dick and get rid of stuff that is no use to you.

So anyone been hacked recently? What have you done? Once I found out I sent a in-game message, then sent a web form message to the support forum, and thinking about ringing them now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Sorry to hear that man, I'd be on the phoen straight away to get it sorted if I were you.

http://eu.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_GB&articleId=23210

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Aye rang them up, they said they have escalated my account to the head GMs and will be investigating it.

Should be fixed in 1-4 days

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

Hey

You should be fine. happened to me about 1 month ago.

I got all my gold and stuff back including characters.

Also got all the gold they generated on my account :).

Took them 2 days to get everything sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Happened to me about 2/3 months ago, same thing as you. they even deleted lvl <10 toons on other realms that had nothing. I got a friend to send a ticket ingame from my account (as i was in work when i found out, strange they never changed my password) Also rang them. By about 7pm that evening i had almost all my toons back, and then 24/48 hours later i got all my gear back. One of the GM's i talked to was Irish, really sound guy who got me all my gems, stuff in my bank and guild bank, and about a extra 10k gold, which is what im guessing the hackers made while in control.

To be on the safe side, change all the passwords to your email account. And change your battle.net password too. Oh, and run a av/malware scan on your pc incase anything nasty is lurking around.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive never been hacked but my Aion account got hacked a while back even though the account was inactive.

This has got me concerned however while i look at my wow account on battlenet.
    It is saying the account is frozen, i thought it normally says inactive when one is inactive?

My wow subs canceled about 5-6 months now but as i say seeing this "Frozen" in red text has got me concerned considering my Aion account got hacked while i wasnt subbed.

Can anyone recall if it says "inactive" or "frozen" in the accoutn status when your unsubbed?

PS: sorry to butt in on OPs thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Thats normal now Dcully. My second account was saying the same thing, but as soon as i added game time it was back to normal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Cheers for that Anti.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Recent attacks may have been cause by a vulnerability in Flash and your web browsers.

Firefox has been patched about half a dozen times in the last 2 weeks and I've had to patch Flash on as many machines. Blizz's site last week spoke about a vulnerability that could target WoW users iirc.

cheers overheal will have a look to see if they are all upto date.

Got the deleted chars back(still really annoying, why do they delete them) but items are still missing, guess they need to through some logs to see whats mine etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

Aww that sucks! Sorry to hear that dude, good luck in getting everything back. :)

• Advertisement

Cheers flojo,

Well got a email saying they have confirmed my account was hacked, and they are in progress mailing me back all my items and gold in which i have lost(Martin furry anyone :P)

They were very quick, I'm very impressed with them, I heard a lot of bad things with this, and the usual horror story of 4 weeks later noting is done, but got my 4 level 80s back within an hour, with my main having all his gear, but the other chars being naked :( And then also got my level 60-70s alts back in 2 hours after that.

Thats great news! Keep pestering them about the other gear though. I might be able to ask a friend if you still have trouble. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

3 people in my guild have been hacked recently. each of them had all there stuff back and the gbank stuff less then 2 hrs after they found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magaa

dont worry that much you will get to keep the stuff the farmers farmed :) last time i got hacked i made like 4k gold off it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

dont use your battlenet mail address when you apply to guilds! lol i learned that the hard way.

I'm 90% sure its due to the flash exploit at this stage, I am quite safe with emails and passwords, not using the same ones for diffrent things.

Got everything back last night, after rining customer support again, apeprtly i should of got everything bac kwhen my chars were returned, but there was a problem with the mail and it was never sent.

+! for blizzards customer support

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its definitely server side that's being hacked, nothing to do with exploits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Its definitely server side that's being hacked, nothing to do with exploits.

I don't think that's true, there'd be an awful lot more being hacked if that were so. Not saying it's not beyond the realms of possibility but in all fairness, most hacks committed are down to the person that was hacked being at fault (most times without them even being aware they ever did anything wrong in the first place to give the hackers a chance at their account).

Well I mean boards was hacked; and its not a big a target as a realm server for example. And the IP's of those servers aren't exactly secrets.

Its at least plausible that the realms regularly get hacked and that through whatever means hackers are able to decrypt stored login credentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Most "hacks" either come from social engineering ("Hi this is WoWGM, we need to do a security check .... / Hi this is your guildmate <blah> can I try your character <blah") or from people selecting insecure passwords (dictionary attack), oh or trojans operating on someone's machine ofc.

WoW is a little different to boards.ie. It has your financial details, and each account is worth a decent amount of money.

• Advertisement

Exactly. It makes sense its been the subject of a high volume of hacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

Overheal wrote: »
    Well I mean boards was hacked; and its not a big a target as a realm server for example. And the IP's of those servers aren't exactly secrets.

Its at least plausible that the realms regularly get hacked and that through whatever means hackers are able to decrypt stored login credentials.

I actually LOL'd.

To say there is a difference between boards and WoW is a bit of a understatement.

Drakar wrote: »
    Most "hacks" either come from social engineering ("Hi this is WoWGM, we need to do a security check .... / Hi this is your guildmate <blah> can I try your character <blah") or from people selecting insecure passwords (dictionary attack), oh or trojans operating on someone's machine ofc.

WoW is a little different to boards.ie. It has your financial details, and each account is worth a decent amount of money.

Computer 100% clean I'm positive about that, my password is a variation of capitals,numbers and various other keys. and i don't fall for any of that **** with pms or trust anyone with my account nor fall for any email scams.

Columc wrote: »
    Computer 100% clean I'm positive about that, my password is a variation of capitals,numbers and various other keys. and i don't fall for any of that **** with pms or trust anyone with my account nor fall for any email scams.

Come say hai in group! I promise you can have my Mudkip for a lil while :)

jabberwock wrote: »
    I actually LOL'd.

To say there is a difference between boards and WoW is a bit of a understatement.
    Im nothing if not modest!

But remember each realm is its own entity, and theres hundreds. Each would be sizable in population to boards.ie i'd wager. im not sure if they attacked a central billing server now am i?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Nehaxak wrote: »
    I don't think that's true, there'd be an awful lot more being hacked if that were so. Not saying it's not beyond the realms of possibility but in all fairness, most hacks committed are down to the person that was hacked being at fault (most times without them even being aware they ever did anything wrong in the first place to give the hackers a chance at their account).

I'm sure social engineering accounts for a portion of it, but the fact remains that I know people with 100% secure systems who haven't logged or used their accounts in months get hacked. They don't visit any odd sites, or popular targeted wow sites/forums and the explanations for their loss of details can only be described as odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

I'm sure social engineering accounts for a portion of it, but the fact remains that I know people with 100% secure systems who haven't logged or used their accounts in months get hacked. They don't visit any odd sites, or popular targeted wow sites/forums and the explanations for their loss of details can only be described as odd.

Still don't believe it dude sorry. I was one of those people. When I was hacked, I was hacked via Chinese pissheads hacking my email account hosting. Nowt wrong with my PC, no viruses, no malware, etc.,
    I had at the time, email hosting via Google, which was via GoDaddy and the password I had in use at the time on my email accounts would've been easy enough to brute force.

They just logged into my email account hosting, requested a new password from blizzard, clicked the link Blizzard sends you in an email to confirm, then deleted the offending email.

So, what's to say they don't do the same thing to others ? How safe is your email account/hosting and how good is the password you use on that ?

The Blizzard Authenticators are a massive help as even if the hacker did get your email account details now, they can do feck all without the authenticator.

It's a wild conspiracy theory to suggest blizzard themselves are/were hacked and that peoples details are or have been available to hackers.
    I'm not saying that it's not possible, just that unless there's hard factual evidence to the contrary, then I'll still be of the opinion that WoW account hacks are the persons own fault one way or the other.

It's still bloody shítty no matter what that people have to worry and put so much thought into protecting a feckin' game they play :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Flojo wrote: »
    Come say hai in group! I promise you can have my Mudkip for a lil while :)

Durrty! :P

Overheal wrote: »
    Im nothing if not modest!

But remember each realm is its own entity, and theres hundreds. Each would be sizable in population to boards.ie i'd wager. im not sure if they attacked a central billing server now am i?

hmm, I would think that a small precentage of the millions Blizzard make every month would go towards keep the servers secure.

If you get hacked it's your fault. Plain and simple. Not matter how secure you think you details are. They got them from you.

• Advertisement

but the fact remains that I know people with 100% secure systems who haven't logged or used their accounts in months get hacked.

How secure are their mates systems that have their log in details. :P

Advertisement