Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE PPV buyrates, Sky Box Office buys/viewing rates?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Vengeance draws 130k buys pathetic really. Now we'll see what impact Rock makes on these buys for Survivor Series.
    http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/headlines/WWE_PPV_Draws_Second_Worst_Buy_Number_Of_All-.php

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Apparently it's the second worst buyrate in WWE history, beat only by December to Dismember.

I can't remember the show being that bad, tbh, but then neither could I remember anything that happened on it until I looked up the card :P

December to Dismember.

Shudders

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Quite surprised by that because HHH was on the show and I believe he is quite a good draw (normally) for PPVs.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Quite surprised by that because HHH was on the show and I believe he is quite a good draw (normally) for PPVs.

The build up was ****ing ****e

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

THE INTERNET'S THE PROBLEM! GOT-DANG INNERNET WITH THEIR STEAMS AND MUSIC TELEVISION

jaykhunter wrote: »
    THE INTERNET'S THE PROBLEM! GOT-DANG INNERNET WITH THEIR STEAMS AND MUSIC TELEVISION AND THAT POURN.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Too many PPV's be the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Too many PPV's be the problem.

WWE's buyrates in the late '90's/early '00's (and UFC's these days) suggest otherwise.

I just think there's too many B-list events that are forcing storylines to evolve far too quickly and therefore the general public are not willing to pay to view them.I myself haven't bought a PPV since Mania.

Most UFC fans wouldn't be pro-wrestling fans,judging by my group of mates anyways.
    They'd happily stay up and watch a UFC show and have pizza/beers etc,if I suggested we do the same for a WWE PPV I'd be laughed out of the room!

• Advertisement

I just think there's too many B-list events that are forcing storylines to evolve far too quickly and therefore the general public are not willing to pay to view them.I myself haven't bought a PPV since Mania.

Most UFC fans wouldn't be pro-wrestling fans,judging by my group of mates anyways.
    They'd happily stay up and watch a UFC show and have pizza/beers etc,if I suggested we do the same for a WWE PPV I'd be laughed out of the room!

Much of that is wrestling's own fault. Medium terms planning would eliminate the too many PPV's problem and wrestling has booked itself to be uncool over the last decade. All UFC does is do wrestling well.

I'm kinda annoyed at the wrestling elements that have been popping up in UFC lately eg Nick Diaz promo's that was staged and "infuriated" GSP so much that he wants the Diaz fight next. But I want to see that fight and a lot of other fights more than any wrestling matches in 2012 or beyond.

Though for the record, I despise UFC. It's the most tedious, boring nonsense known to man. I'd take the worst Pro Wrestling over the best MMA any day. Unfortunately Wrestling's decline is self-inflicted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Though for the record, I despise UFC. It's the most tedious, boring nonsense known to man. I'd take the worst Pro Wrestling over the best MMA any day. Unfortunately Wrestling's decline is self-inflicted.

Real Vs Staged (I refuse to call wrestling "fake")

For that reason, I like UFC. Wrestling, at the end of the day is "Entratainment", and the wrestlers that sell more t shirts are the ones who make it big.

Though for the record, I despise UFC. It's the most tedious, boring nonsense known to man.

Wrong opinion or watch some PRIDE.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

rovert wrote: »
    Wrong opinion or watch some PRIDE.

can an opinion really be wrong? In your opinion it may be but....

anywhoo im really qurious what buyrate the Rock gets SS

can an opinion really be wrong? In your opinion it may be but....:rolleyes:

1815908-thats_the_joke_super.jpg

You really should think before you pounce

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

1815908-thats_the_joke_super.jpg

You really should think before you pounce

sorry about the rolleyes had actually meant to do the wink but mis clicked.

anywhoo (think I use that term too much) it probably wont be a while before even the predictions for SS buyrate will be in

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Wrong opinion

Rovert : happiest man in the world!

200px-HappiestMan.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

I'm not convinced the buy rate for SS will be that big at all really. The lead up to it was fairly crap and we'd already seen him throwing down rock bottoms and people's elbows earlier in the year. Obviously there'll be a spike but I'm thinking more along the lines of just a reasonable increase, probably like what Punk had on MITB.
    And as much as I love The Rock, I'd actually rather there wasn't a big increase just to show the writers that a decent build up is what really sells an event.

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Rovert : happiest man in the world!

200px-HappiestMan.JPG

Currently this pretty much the case.

MMA is good craic in fairness,just back from an amateur show that my mate was fighting on and it was great fun,a fella even juiced!

But I still prefer my auld sports entertainment!

http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/WWE_News_3/article_56192.shtml

Quote:
    WWE has released a preliminary Survivor Series PPV figure of 280,000 total buys. The buy total for The Rock's big return match teaming with John Cena will likely grow by the time WWE reports fourth quarter earnings result, as the preliminary total is only through the end of November.

The estimate compares to 244,000 official buys for Survivor Series 2010 and 235,000 buys for Survivor Series 2009, which nearly got Survivor Series scrapped from the PPV line-up.

Through three events in the fourth quarter, WWE has reported an average of 194,000 buys per event. The October PPVs - Vengeance and Hell in a Cell with a combined 302,000 buys - dragged down the quarterly average. Still to be accounted for is last week's TLC PPV.

The current third quarter domestic split is 56 percent, although the actual split for Survivor Series will likely come in higher. Applying the percentage to Survivor Series, the preliminary estimate would be 156,800 domestic buys.

Caldwell's Analysis: The bar has been set so low for non-WrestleMania PPVs over the past few years that the Survivor Series buy total almost seems acceptable, but for Rock's first match in eight years, that's a poor result, even when more buys will be added to the total when the fourth quarter earnings report is released. Specific to Survivor Series, I felt WWE did a poor job promoting Rock's return match, especially having a three-hour Raw the week before the PPV. Also, WWE continues to ask a steep price for non-WrestleMania PPVs when the company has a track record of inconsistency.

:o

Jesus Christ 280k buys thats terrible, I was expecting 3 times that. Was the UFC on that weekend or that. The build up was terrible alrite but i'm amazed at this news.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ 280k buys thats terrible, I was expecting 3 times that. Was the UFC on that weekend or that. The build up was terrible alrite but i'm amazed at this news.

It's entirely their own fault, they did everything within their power to detract people from buying that show. It should've hit 400,000 minimum.

It's entirely their own fault, they did everything within their power to detract people from buying that show. It should've hit 400,000 minimum.

I chose not to buy it after Cena and The Rock ran over Awesome Truth on the Raw before it. I remember i'd my head in my hands thinking why are they doing this 6 days before the ppv it was even harder to take Awesome Truth as a serious after that.

I read this line on the F4W board and I thought it nailed it:

This is what happens when you put a guy with a faux hawk in the Main Event.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

GTR63 wrote: »

ufc 139 was on night before (shogun vs henderson)

you really thought survivor series was going to do 840k buys :eek: thats more than rocks last singles match at mania did

rossie1977 wrote: »
    ufc 139 was on night before (shogun vs henderson)

you really thought survivor series was going to do 840k buys :eek: thats more than rocks last singles match at mania did

I was thinking 750-800k. Mania did 1.3m (I think)so I was expecting a drop not the arse falling out of it. The Rock's first in ring appearance too and not just him rabbiting on for aaaaages on the mic like he did at Mania. Shogun vs Hendo was great but I doubt it did a huge number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Honestly, I was expecting 600-700k myself. The Rock making his in ring return and it doesnt even break 300k? Thats pretty awful no matter what way you look at it.

It'll hopefully be a good sign though as it should show WWE that they cant just stick The Rock out there and get a huge number. They'll need to put some actual effort in to avoid Wrestlemania being a disaster. I dont mean 300k or anything, but Wrestlemania is pretty much expected to be pushing 1m most years, if they dont put the effort in to Rock/Cena I cant see them getting that high.

This number has shown that they need the effort before hand to have any chance of a good showing.

Advertisement