Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE PPV buyrates, Sky Box Office buys/viewing rates?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

jaykhunter wrote: »
    **During the conference call Vince McMahon hinted a future 8pm EST live show that will be kicking off but didn’t provide a start date for the program. It has been rumored that the USA Network has been wanting to a launch a countdown style of show to lead into ‘Raw’, which is a tough timeslot as ‘Raw’ is always hurt on the three-hour shows by the first hour and it’s going to be tough to draw the same numbers as some of the USA’s lead ins do in that timeslot.

They should just give that 8pm EST time-slot to a new season of Tough Enough.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Charisteas wrote: »
    They should just give that 8pm EST time-slot to a new season of Tough Enough.

I think they gave Tough Enough the 8pm and 11pm slot (i.e. before and after RAW) during season 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

WWE has updated their monthly business figures with a preliminary estimate of 276,000 buys for the Money in the Bank PPV in July featuring John Cena vs. C.M. Punk for the WWE Title match in Chicago.

The estimate is up 100,000 buys compared to last year's MITB and virtually even with the Night of Champions PPV in July 2009 two years ago (with a $5 lower price tag). WWE will report an official MITB PPV figure in November when they report third quarter 2011 earnings.

http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/quicknews/article_52588.shtml

Great show overall, pleased it got a good buyrate.

Hopeflly Summerfest doesn't bomb to hard now:P

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

In a correction from earlier this week, the buyrates for WWE's Money in the Bank pay-per-view are not 265,000. WWE's charts had Money in the Bank at just under 300,000 buys but the actual estimate is around 185,000. The reported number of 265,000 includes previous pay-per-view buys unrelated to Money in the Bank. Official numbers won't be announced until November but it's now believed that the actual number will be around 200,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

the final figure for wrestlemania 27 has been revised upwards to 1.12 million buys which makes this years mania the 2nd most successful mania buyrate wise after mania 23, mania 27s revision means it passes out wrestlemania 21 with 1.09 buys worldwide

altogether mania 27 generated $35.9m in revenue

source: observer

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

rossie1977 wrote: »
    the final figure for wrestlemania 27 has been revised upwards to 1.12 million buys which makes this years mania the 2nd most successful mania buyrate wise after mania 23, mania 27s revision means it passes out wrestlemania 21 with 1.09 buys worldwide

altogether mania 27 generated $35.9m in revenue

source: observer

All on the hint Rock MIGHT do something physical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

rovert wrote: »
    All on the hint Rock MIGHT do something physical.

dont forgot taker as well hes a major part of mania buy rates these days

ricero wrote: »
    dont forgot taker as well hes a major part of mania buy rates these days

Without the Rock you cant tell me that they would have done better than the year before.

Without the Rock you cant tell me that they would have done better than the year before.

you don't think the ufc ppv the night before had any impact on mania 26s buyrate??

i don't think HHH/Taker was a huge draw this year. It had a very reserved build-up. It was all about Rocky. I'd imagine they'd've got ~875,000 if Rock wasn't around, but putting them over a million was definitely singularly due to the Rock's involvement!

I wonder if by "in action" in that Survivor Series ad, they mean Rock's team vs Cena's team at Survivor Series; meaning Rock isn't going to wrestle (but rather select 4 guys to represent him), or he's just going to rock bottom cena by the end of it.

• Advertisement

you don't think the ufc ppv the night before had any impact on mania 26s buyrate??

This year had a weaker card and build. Not to mention domestic buy rates continually eroding/softening so the UFC factor is negated by the comparison although you were right to point it out.

This year had a weaker card and build. Not to mention domestic buy rates continually eroding/softening so the UFC factor is negated by the comparison although you were right to point it out.

would be interesting to see the buyrate for mania 26 and 27 in canada, i suspect with gsp on that ufc show in april 2010 the buyrate in canada anyway for mania 26 would have been low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 reynolsg87

would be interesting to see the buyrate for mania 26 and 27 in canada, i suspect with gsp on that ufc show in april 2010 the buyrate in canada anyway for mania 26 would have been low

Although Bret Hart being a main attraction on the Mania 26 card surely would have convinced a lot of Canadians to buy the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

reynolsg87 wrote: »
    Although Bret Hart being a main attraction on the Mania 26 card surely would have convinced a lot of Canadians to buy the show?

Yep plus the WHC match was Jericho Vs Edge.

I know it was posted in the Punk thread but share the love!

And I think this is something that will send shivers down Vince's spine...

WWE updated their Key Performance Indicators. The preliminary buyrate is only 301,000 buys, WAY below the 2010 buyrate. Based on the breakdown, the buyrate looks to be 174,000 in North America and 127.000 from International markets.

In 2010, the PPV drew 350,00 buys. In 2009, the PPV drew 369,000 buys.

PW Insider.

For comparison

SummerSlam 2003: 415,000
    SummerSlam 2004: 387,000
    SummerSlam 2005: 534,000
    SummerSlam 2006: 529,000
    SummerSlam 2007: 537,000
    SummerSlam 2008: 477,000
    SummerSlam 2009: 369,000
    SummerSlam 2010: 350,000
    SummerSlam 2011: 301,000 (estimated)

Its probably one of Summerfests worst numbers ever, its scary to see how its dropped from even 2008 which at the time was considered one of the weaker Summerfests. :eek:

WWE's Night of Champions PPV in September drew 165,000 buys, according to a preliminary estimate released Friday in WWE's updated monthly business figures. The preliminary estimate is the exact same as the buy total for Night of Champions 2010. In the third quarter 2011, 64 percent of PPV buys came from domestic sources, which translates to an estimate of 105,000 domestic buys for the PPV that featured Triple H's in-ring return vs. C.M. Punk and all WWE titles on the line.

http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/quicknews/article_54679.shtml

Ok I suppose.

The Vengance buyrate is going to be VERY VERY low tough and even hIAC tanked last year so they will need a good Survivor Series number to at least finish the year on somewhat of a high buyrate wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Rjd2 wrote: »
    they will need a good Survivor Series number to at least finish the year on somewhat of a high buyrate wise.

They'll get a high 6 figure buyrate,if they get 1,000,000+ buys vince should join the Rocks kiss me ass club.

Have we gotten a confirmed MITB buyrate yet?

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Have we gotten a confirmed MITB buyrate yet?

Think it was 185,000 buys i'm open to correction though.

WWE released their Q3 Financial results today; of note :

July's Money in the Bank pay-per-view earned 195,000 buys,
    up from 2010's 165,000 buys; (so UP 30,000 from last year)
    down from 2009's 267,000 buys (July's Night of Champions)

August's SummerSlam did 296,000 buys.
    Down from 2010's 350,000 buys; (so DOWN 56,000 from last year)
    Down from 2009's 369,000 buys.

September's Night of Champions pay-per-view produced 161,000 buys. Down from 2010's 165,000 buys (so DOWN 4,000 from last year)
    down from 2009's 169,000 buys (September's Breaking Point)

source : PW.net

• Advertisement

Those PPV buyrates tell the story of MITB (the PPV of the year, with stellar main-event booking of Punk vs Cena in just a few short weeks) got a noticeable bump in buys; while the same tired messy schlock post-MITB reverted to the status quo (the decline.) HHH vs Nash to the rescue! :p

Full report of WWE's Q3 results :
    WWE has released its third-quarter financial results in 2011. The company reported revenues of $108.5 million, down from $109.6 million from the same quarter last year. Operating income is $15.9 million compared to $20.3 million in the prior year quarter.

WWE announced that pay-per-view revenues were $15.8 million for the three shows held in the third quarter of 2011. The number is great than the $13.6 million the company made for the same quarter of 2010, and the $14.5 million the company earned for pay-per-views in the same quarter of 2009.

July's Money in the Bank pay-per-view earned 195,000 buys, up from the 165,000 buys the same event did last year, but down from the 267,000 buys that Night of Champions drew in July 2009.

The August SummerSlam event did 296,000 buys. The same event drew 350,000 buys in 2010, and 369,000 buys in 2009.

September's Night of Champions pay-per-view produced 161,000 buys. The event drew 165,000 buys in 2010. The Breaking Point pay-per-view sold 169,000 buys around the same date in 2009.

WWE announced revenues of $23 million for live events held in the third quarter of 2011. They were up slightly from the $22.8 million earned in the same quarter last year. North American events generated $14.2 million for 64 events, up from the $13.8 million earned for 62 events in the same quarter last year. International live event revenue produced $8.8 million for 15 events, down from the $9 million for 16 events produced in the third quarter of 2010.

"In the third quarter, our results reflected the company’s continued focus on improving business results in a difficult environment," Vince McMahon stated in the press release. "Despite the challenging economic headwinds, both domestically and abroad, we generated increased profits across a majority of our businesses, with the main exception being our film business which we continue to monitor and refine to improve future performance."

"We believe the sluggish economy and our ongoing talent transition were important factors that affected the results of our other businesses. Based on our history of developing talent and creating content with broad appeal, we are confident we can address our creative challenges."

"Further, by taking advantage of our strategic opportunities, including the anticipated 2012 launch of a WWE network, we can achieve meaningful growth." To read the official press release, visit: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... er-Results.

Credit: ProWrestling.Net

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

It appears they are still making good money during the bad financial world we are in now.

Yep, thing about WWE is that they have multiple streams of revenue -- so PPV being down isn't the end of the world -- they have TV deals (domestic and abroad), merchandising, licensing, dual brands touring etc - they pick up the slack caused by lessening PPV buys and the stagnancy of WWE films. So they're safe. If the show gets a 2.6 or a 4.6 they still get the same advertising cash (until they renegotiate their TV deal)

On the topic of Sky Box Office. They dropped boxing from being shown on PPV as there is no money fights on the horizon.

Wrestling is now the only "real" Pay Per View property on SBO.

On the topic of Sky Box Office. They dropped boxing from being shown on PPV as there is no money fights on the horizon.

Wrestling is now the only "real" Pay Per View property on SBO.

Lets hope ufc don't end up on there. More lousy ppv numbers for wwe for HIAC and Vengeance.
    http://www.pwinsider.com/article/63645/october-not-a-good-month-for-wwe-ppvs.html?p=1

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭innercitydub2

This is defo as a result of everyone just looking at ppvs through online illiegal streams or else waiting to the next day to download a full quality torrent of the event.

Just look at HMV,Tower records, Xtra Vision sales figures, online downloading is becoming a epidemic.

Furthermore someone please correct me if he has mentioned it, but i have never heard vince aknowlege the above problems for causing such a slump in wwe ppv sales.

Overall i think thios is the reason why many perceive wwe to be losing its audience, when in reality many have become a uncounted audience who look at wwe through download or watch online.

Thats not the whole story though there are far too many ppv's aswell,quantity more than quality for sure. Ufc has done the exact same thing, thank feck espn is free here with sky sports.
    Oh and i'd bet all I own that Survivor Series thanks to the Rock's in ring return will have a very healthy number ppv streams or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

This is defo as a result of everyone just looking at ppvs through online illiegal streams or else waiting to the next day to download a full quality torrent of the event.

Illegal streams were around last year too and yet WWE are still down vs. last year. Plus "big" UFC fights do tremendous numbers on PPV irrespective of streams.

There's no doubt illegal streaming has an impact of WWE's PPV numbers (and it is a big reason why you should never target your PPV product towards internet wrestling fans) but there are a large number of more significant factors that come before that.

Yep. Vince and co like to use the "faceless internet" as why they're not doing 500,000 buys each month for their sub-standard product. (Search his quarterly investor conference calls for proof) Streaming is relative to how much interest there is (i.e. a blockbuster action film gets pirated more than a niche french arthouse film) and it's the same for PPVs. I think they definitely overestimate just how many people are tech-savvy enough to use streams, are willing to pirate, and put up with the lower quality. Even though I bet less than 5% would even buy their PPV if they couldn't stream. Even if 30,000 were to watch illegally, that's 1,500 buys tops.

The extreme vast majority of wrestling fans watch it like a TV show. It's only because we ourselves are on the internet that we hear of online piracy etc but the IWC are the real minority of wrestling fans. Most just like John Cena's facebook page and that's about it. MITB proves that even with 3 weeks build, more people will pay for a product they believe in. I don't know how they can look themselves in the mirror and actually expect people to shell out $50+ every 4 weeks for the same matches, bad storytelling and the same guys on top.

Bottom line - the better the product, the more people are willing to pay for it. I don't think Cameron's crying over lost potential sales of AVATAR. Or maybe he is! lol

I found this interesting infographic about piracy (large pic).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭SIBERIA

I'm watching survivor series for free right now on chorus (old cable television) Have they made a mistake? sky box office is showing on the channel that use to be eurosport...

Advertisement