Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW CHAMPIONSHIP FORMAT

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Deise Tom wrote: »
    If this type of championship was to be used you would have to scrap the National Leagues, so that counties could get some chance to play their county championships. If this was to happen you would have certain managers crying into their tea-cups as they would be claiming that they would not have enough games to try out new players ahead of the championship.

Didnt you read my post? I suggested 10 game weeks that can be set aside at the start of the year and countys can plan there club championships around that. Last years championship had games played on 16 different weekends and no county was to know what weekend they would play on. My suggestion allows for six extra weeks over the summer for club fixtures and it would not affect the National League at all, I have no idea where you pulled that one from.

I also suggested alternating between the regional championships and qualifiers (game week 1 regionals, game week 2 qualifiers, game week 3 regionals and so on) so if you have to replay a regional semi final or final it can go ahead the same weekend as qualifiers allowing you stick to the 10 game week format. This allows better planning for club fixtures from the start of the year than the current system because at the minute you have no idea how far your county will get in the championship/qualifiers or when the games will be played. My suggestion means only ten weeks are needed for county games, less than at present so more time for club games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Maybe not full-time professional but ill give you a few examples.

A Garda plays for Dublin at Croke Park, turns up goes home. Yet his mate who is also a Garda can earn potential ovetime at Croke Park. Is that fair?

Secondly if the GAA is a so called amateur organisation then it should be across the board. Why are these hierarchy people who turn up once a year at Congress get paid while the stars don't. The players should be getting their fair share.

What is the fascination in the provincial system it is out of date, I agree with the N, S, E, W system.

Also nobody cares about a clubs league, it is purely getting ready for championships. These championships should be straight knockout which would give ample time for expanded format and possible professionalism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Didnt you read my post? I suggested 10 game weeks that can be set aside at the start of the year and countys can plan there club championships around that.

Casn i take it so that you are saying that it is ok for players to play in the club championships in sh!t and slop. What do these same players do then all the rest of the year. Play in possible mickey mouse league or challenge games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

DH2K9 wrote: »

A Garda plays for Dublin at Croke Park, turns up goes home. Yet his mate who is also a Garda can earn potential ovetime at Croke Park. Is that fair?

Secondly if the GAA is a so called amateur organisation then it should be across the board. Why are these hierarchy people who turn up once a year at Congress get paid while the stars don't. The players should be getting their fair share.

What is the fascination in the provincial system it is out of date, I agree with the N, S, E, W system.

Also nobody cares about a clubs league, it is purely getting ready for championships. These championships should be straight knockout which would give ample time for expanded format and possible professionalism.

fuck sake do you not realise that club for many many people is way more important than county? countless interviews ive seen with players who have all-ireland medals rank wins with their clubs as their most cherished achievement.

anyone who even considers professionalism in the GAA is either completely deluded or does not have the best interests of the association at heart.

i bet you anything if that guard won an all ireland with dublin he would not trade it for any over time

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Casn i take it so that you are saying that it is ok for players to play in the club championships in sh!t and slop. What do these same players do then all the rest of the year. Play in possible mickey mouse league or challenge games.

Again, did you read my post? I was promoting a more streamlined version of the current setup. The National Leagues do not change so it is exactly the same as the present system, with the exact same amount of time for National League and club games as present in the first half of the year. 8 regional championships means there are no preliminary rounds to be played in the inter-county championship so it does have to start until June, and all counties play their first match on the same weekend. It is played over the summer but in a shorter time period so their are more club games in the summer so no slop. Simple.

• Advertisement

Can we put something in the forum charter that makes it an offense to suggest the GAA turn professional, punishable by flogging. Okay maybe thats going too far, Il settle for a ban from the site. There is absolutely no justification for the GAA going pro, unless you want to destroy it. Now lets not have any more of this nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

aDeener wrote: »

i bet you anything if that guard won an all ireland with dublin he would not trade it for any over time

Especially as a manager.

aDeener wrote: »
    fuck sake do you not realise that club for many many people is way more important than county? countless interviews ive seen with players who have all-ireland medals rank wins with their clubs as their most cherished achievement.

anyone who even considers professionalism in the GAA is either completely deluded or does not have the best interests of the association at heart.

First of all a guard would win no All-Ireland with Dublin!

Do you know how much effort these guys put in. What about a lad working in Dublin travelling to Galway four times a week for training. What help does he get from the GAA. 50 cent per litre max. At least increase their milage.

Maybe not play for pay but these players deserve something. They have to sacrifice a lot of time with their family so they can represent their county.

By the way I have never heard any club player who gave a **** about the league. These were all leading up to the championship. Nobody cares who wins Division 1 in a county it is all about the Championship. With this inter-county format you would only need to decrease amount of league games because at the end of the day these are played like challenge matches.

First of all a guard would win no All-Ireland with Dublin!

Do you know how much effort these guys put in. What about a lad working in Dublin travelling to Galway four times a week for training. What help does he get from the GAA. 50 cent per litre max. At least increase their milage.

Maybe not play for pay but these players deserve something. They have to sacrifice a lot of time with their family so they can represent their county.

By the way I have never heard any club player who gave a **** about the league. These were all leading up to the championship. Nobody cares who wins Division 1 in a county it is all about the Championship. With this inter-county format you would only need to decrease amount of league games because at the end of the day these are played like challenge matches.

i do know how much they put in, club players put in just as much effort as county players but this is rarely ever recognised. gaa players are unbelievably well looked after, the gear, the physio expenses not to mention the one that cant be measured in monetary terms - the sheer joy of playing the game you love.

you would find a lot of players giving a shit about the league if you got rid of it or significantly reduced the number of games. thats what club players want - games!

what county are you in? most league matches ive been to are played with great intensity as like the national league its a stepping stone to championship and places are cemented here

All I'm saying is there is room for my system if you took away a couple of extra league games. I mean there used to be a time in Dublin when being in the first division meant you were an elite club. Nowadays there is to many teams in Division 1 so there isn't as much meaning to the games.

Going back to the format, at the end of the day, we want to see who is the best team in the country. This system will prove it like it has in the World Cup. It will give teams three championship games to prove themselves after playing their respective provincial championships and national leagues. Yes, you may get some dull, boring games and some low attendances but is that not the same as the current system.

The GAA needs to try something to inject new life into this great sport. This year Roscommon had to beat London and Leitrim and Limerick had to beat Waterford to make the last 12 of this years Championship while Meath had to go out and play Offaly, Laois(twice) and the Dubs. Is this fair? Can anybody justify this system. We want the best teams in the latter stages of the All-Ireland with maybe one or two fairytales so long as they have been merited. Are Limerick, Roscommon and to a certain extent Louth in the top 12 in the country? I'd say Limerick and Roscommon bottom 8 yet they find themselves in the last 12 with a shot at a Quarter-Final spot. If one of these teams get to a Quarter-Final the media will be saying it is great for football. Maybe it is but all they had to do was have one big win. The group stage will separate the men from the boys and if a Roscommon were to advance I would say fair play to them. There is to much emphasis nowadays on this out-dated system. Scrap it or use it as a seeding. Simple as.

As for the players being well looked after well that is just a load of bull. Maybe a club player does put a decent shift in at training but it is not inter-county. Ever heard of what a Clare player said about Ger Loughanne's training up a mountain one day. "If you saw a dog do that there would be a case for the ISPCA" While I admire a club player effort, determination in pride in representing their club, their parish, the place they grew up in is nothing compared to the average inter-county player. The club player can still have the few pints in the loacal while the inter-county player is on water. I represent my local team with dedication and a sense of emotion but I know that the inter-county player is in a gym during the winter and come the summer is still in that same gym despite the countless training sessions. Coming up to the championship the dubs were training six times a week! I mean come on what club side trains six times a week? What club trains 3 times week? None.

So these players deserve something a bit extra because they are the elite of our sport yet get as much help as the Division 12 club player. Is that fair?

• Advertisement

All I'm saying is there is room for my system if you took away a couple of extra league games. I mean there used to be a time in Dublin when being in the first division meant you were an elite club. Nowadays there is to many teams in Division 1 so there isn't as much meaning to the games.

Going back to the format, at the end of the day, we want to see who is the best team in the country. This system will prove it like it has in the World Cup. It will give teams three championship games to prove themselves after playing their respective provincial championships and national leagues. Yes, you may get some dull, boring games and some low attendances but is that not the same as the current system.

The GAA needs to try something to inject new life into this great sport. This year Roscommon had to beat London and Leitrim and Limerick had to beat Waterford to make the last 12 of this years Championship while Meath had to go out and play Offaly, Laois(twice) and the Dubs. Is this fair? Can anybody justify this system. We want the best teams in the latter stages of the All-Ireland with maybe one or two fairytales so long as they have been merited. Are Limerick, Roscommon and to a certain extent Louth in the top 12 in the country? I'd say Limerick and Roscommon bottom 8 yet they find themselves in the last 12 with a shot at a Quarter-Final spot. If one of these teams get to a Quarter-Final the media will be saying it is great for football. Maybe it is but all they had to do was have one big win. The group stage will separate the men from the boys and if a Roscommon were to advance I would say fair play to them. There is to much emphasis nowadays on this out-dated system. Scrap it or use it as a seeding. Simple as.

As for the players being well looked after well that is just a load of bull. Maybe a club player does put a decent shift in at training but it is not inter-county. Ever heard of what a Clare player said about Ger Loughanne's training up a mountain one day. "If you saw a dog do that there would be a case for the ISPCA" While I admire a club player effort, determination in pride in representing their club, their parish, the place they grew up in is nothing compared to the average inter-county player. The club player can still have the few pints in the loacal while the inter-county player is on water. I represent my local team with dedication and a sense of emotion but I know that the inter-county player is in a gym during the winter and come the summer is still in that same gym despite the countless training sessions. Coming up to the championship the dubs were training six times a week! I mean come on what club side trains six times a week? What club trains 3 times week? None.

So these players deserve something a bit extra because they are the elite of our sport yet get as much help as the Division 12 club player. Is that fair?
    i practically agree with your new format proposal but i dont like the dismissive attitude towards club.

man i dont know what kind of club you are from but when it comes to preparing for championship they are off the beer. yes they drink during the league, but let me tell you something for nothing - so do the intercounty players!

club players do all the same - gym in the winter, what have ya as intercounty players, dont fool yourself. they are very bit as dedicated (possibly even more so in an attempt to improve fitness or strength to make the inter county panel) just not as talented with the ball.

what much more do you want? you say you are against pay for play but players are already receiving expenses, getting meals after trainings and matches, getting fruit. bars and energy drinks. physio treatments all paid for. all gear given to them. the dublin players last year got blackberry phones ffs. increasing what the get for their miles would be fair enough, but after that they are extremely well looked after

What do you think in just having this format for hurling and not football?

What do you think in just having this format for hurling and not football?

hurling is very difficult to get right but i think the way it is structured at the moment - with ring, rackard and meagher cups is the right way as there are huge gaps in the quality between them and how they are ran is fine imo.

i have no idea to be honest how to best run off the liam mccarthy. football is much easier to format as nearly all counties are fairly competitive. take longford beating mayo for example - a 3rd from bottom division 4 team beating the no.2 team in div.1!! that could never happen in hurling. i understand and appreciate the brilliance of the munster championship but this probably is hindering a better format.

After the last 2 weekends, what does everybody feel now about this new format?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Magi11

If anyone has any notion of getting any of these off the floor, you need to be aware of the reality of GAA and that somethings are sacred. The provincial councils have a lot of power so every plan submitted will have to have Provincial Championships included. Also any idea will have to leave lots of time for the club.
    Two more quick things; professionalism is a non starter and it's losing not loosing.

Advertisement