Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW CHAMPIONSHIP FORMAT

Options
  • 04-07-2010 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭

Apologize in advance somebody has already come up with this format as I am new to boards.ie.

Play National Leagues and Provincial Championships earlier in the year and get rid of the secondary competitions in January like the O'Byrne Cup, McGrath Cup, Walsh Cup etc.

Once Provincial Championships are over use them as seedings for All-Ireland Championships.
    Finalists = 1
    Semi-Finalists = 2
    Quarter-Finalist/Round 1 losers = 3, 4
    FOOTBALL

8 groups of 4 teams (get rid of New York and London and bring back Kilkenny)

Play every team once.

1st = Qualify for Last 16
    2nd = Home Play-Off with 3rd
    3rd = Away Play-Off with 2nd
    4th = OUT or maybe revamped Tommy Murphy Cup?

So Play-Offs, Last 16, Quarter-Finals, Semi-Finals and Final.
    HURLING

4 groups of 4 teams (original 13 teams plus 3 from Christy Ring Cup)

Play every team once.

1st = Qualify for Quarter-Finals
    4th = Relegation Play-Offs

So Play-Offs, Quarter-Finals, Semi-Finals and Final.
    TV

So I would bring in Setanta and TG4 along with TV3 and RTE.

Stations bid for games with more games on TV.

Have weekend window so each individual station could choose when there games are broadcast in conjunction with relevant County Boards.

Could see Friday-Night Games.

What do you think?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,028 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So this would be your montly plans
    Jan- NHL & NFL
    Feb-NHL & NFL
    Mar-NHL & NFL
    Apr- Provincial Championships
    May- All Ireland Grp Series
    Jun- All Ireland Grp Series
    Jul- All Ireland Later Stages
    Aug- All Ireland Semi Finals
    Sep- All Ireland Finals

IMO the Provincal championships are more vital in the Hurling Championships than they are in the Football Championships. It would ruin The Provincal Championships in both codes knowing that you get no real reward for winning it only a 1st seed place in the group stage draw (even if you lose the final you still get the same reward as the provincal champions). Teams would be showing no real desire in the provincal games knowing they have more chances of glory in the all ireland series. They would be no real atmosphere at the games in both the Provincal Hurling and Football Championships and the attendences would be low.

I do like youre system in both codes but i think the provincal championships sould play a bigger role. Provincal champions sould get a reward

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

We get a plethora of suggested championship formats here each year, especially during the summer. Other than removing Galway and Antrim from the Leinster Hurling Championship, because it has been a complete and utter flop and unmitigated disaster, I'd leave things more or less the same as they are for now in both codes.

Flukey wrote: »
    Other than removing Galway and Antrim from the Leinster Hurling Championship, because it has been a complete and utter flop and unmitigated disaster

What? :confused:

You are unique with that opinion, The general consensus of Galway being added anyway is that it has been a success. Hopefully Galway will get home games now too when it is reviewed this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

What? :confused:

You are unique with that opinion,

Far from it. It was a totally ridiculous idea from the beginning. We have the farcical situation where Leinster counties aren't allowed in their own championship, but Galway and Antrim are. Since they started playing in it nothing has changed, in that they are playing counties that were playing beforehand. Prior to their entry into it, they were regularly playing counties like Laois, Offaly, Kilkenny etc., so it has achieved nothing. At least Antrim are playing in the Ulster Championship, winning it last weekend. Galway should be playing in the Connacht Championship. "What Connacht championship? The other 4 counties aren't good enough to put up a challenge?" you'll say. Exactly, and that is where the real problem lies. At the start of the year, would Galway be put down as being possible winners of the All-Ireland? Yes, of course they would. Would Sligo, Roscommon, Leitrim or Mayo be regarded as contenders? Obviously not. That being the case, why is it that Galway are regarded as a problem? Galway are not the problem. The real problem, the other 4 counties in Connacht, and indeed the other counties in Leinster and Ulster, are the problem. It is like going into a doctor with a broken leg and in an attempt to treat it, the doctor puts stitches into your eyebrow.

Galway aren't and never have been the problem. Moving them to Leinster has done nothing to change their status, and has done nothing to help the real problems in Hurling. So the experiment has been a complete and utter failure. If, next year, as a result of Galway and Antrim being in Leinster, Longford and Roscommon end up playing in the All-Ireland Senior Hurling Final, then it will have achieved something. That is not going to happen, is it? So what the GAA should be doing is concentrating on plans where that Longford v Roscommon All-Ireland Final would be a possibility, instead of trying to address something that is not a problem. Longford v Roscommon in the All-Ireland Hurling Final isn't going to happen any time soon, but if the GAA started to address the problems Hurling has, it could at sometime in the future. Putting Galway into Leinster will do nothing to help that.

Go back to the pre-2009 scenario for Galway and Antrim. That will still have them playing Leinster counties during the course of the championship anyway. Then let some more Leinster counties into Leinster, and return Roscommon, a county which actually does have some strong Hurling areas, into the Connacht Championship, and we'll at least have a step towards addressing Hurling's problems. Oh, and the 2019 All-Ireland Senior Hurling Final between Roscommon and Longford, a local derby indeed, will be a cracker. I'm looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

I think things are fine as they are, too much chopping and changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 FirePower

Right here goes my idea for a championship format:

Scrap the Provincial championships, the current qualifier system makes them almost redundant anyway. Its ridiculous that one provincial championship has 11 teams competing in it while another has only 6. If you want you can have the provincial championships earlier in the year before the NFL in place of the O'Byrne cup etc.

Instead of dividing the teams by province, I would divide them by regions, North, South, East and West, with each region having 8 teams. Each region would be divided into 2 groups of 4 where a team would play every other team in their group once.

the top two in each group would advance to the semi finals of their region where for eg 1st in group a plays 2nd in group b and 2nd in group a plays 1st in b. Semi final winners then contest the final to win the regional championship.

The 4 winners of each region advance to the AI semi finals and so on.

The advantages of this are that each region has the same amount of teams so it is fairer and the presence of group stages mean every team plays at least 3 games. Also the qualifiers are done away with so there will be no more "back door" winners.

When deciding which county should go into which region an effort should be made to make sure traditional provincial rivals are in the same region.

Southern Championship:
    Kerry
    Cork
    Waterford
    Tipperary
    Limerick
    Wexford
    Carlow
    London or Kilkenny if they ever take an interest in football

Wexford and Carlow are perfect for relocation since their southern counties and in Leinster football their only rivals are each other.

Western Championship:
    Clare
    Galway
    Mayo
    Sligo
    Leitrim
    Donegal
    Longford
    Roscommon

Clare have a hurling rivalry with Galway and are separated from the rest of munster by the shannon so they can be considered a western county. Donagal sees itself as a province in itself so they could be convinced to leave ulster. Longford's a trickier one because they'll be separated from their rival westmeath.

Northern Championship:
    Antrim
    Down
    Derry
    Armagh
    Tyrone
    Fermanagh
    Cavan
    Monaghan

Largely the same as ulster. Donegal no longer there of course.

Eastern Championship:
    Louth
    Meath
    Dublin
    Westmeath
    Wicklow
    Laois
    Offaly
    Kildare

So yeah, 4 regional champions out of that lot and then semi finals and a final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

A lot of typical GAA head responses here of "sure its alright the way it is".

No, its not.

OP's suggestion is the best I've heard in a long time. The Provinicial Championships are so stupid and redundant now that the qualifiers are in place. Why do we have Provincial Championships? What is the fascination with them? Another poster made a point that has always been my main argument, and that is that all the provinces have a different number of teams. One province has 11 teams in their championship while another has only 6. Is that not completely retarded?

Scrap the provincial championships, bring in some kind of seeding system based on the league and adopt a group and knockout style championship like OP has outlined.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,533 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Flukey wrote: »
    . Other than removing Galway and Antrim from the Leinster Hurling Championship, because it has been a complete and utter flop and unmitigated disaster, I'd leave things more or less the same as they are for now in both codes.

Flukey, I agree that it hasnt gone great so far, but part of the problem with GAA imo is that they never leave things alone long enough for them to bed in. Give it a proper chance etc.

However I do feel that the Leinster Championship should be open to all counties in Leinster, seed it the way that the new Ulster hurling championship is, with the very weak teams meeting early on, the winners playing teams at the nearest level above them. For example Louth v Longford in round 1, the winners progressing to round 2 joining the likes of Meath, Wicklow, Kildare, the winners here joining Laois, Antrim, Carlow, in round 3 and the winners here joining everyone else in rd 4 onwards. That gives all counties games, and should avoid huge mis matches.

Likewise Connacht can run a championship now, without Galway. Give teams games, help them improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

I think the system does need major tweaking.I'd tend to agree with the group and knockout stage finally whereas in other years I thought the system was ok.I still believe though that the provincials should be kept and the champions kept in separate groups.Also you could separate league division winners.NFL 1 - 4 winners in 4 different groups and provincial champions in the other 4 groups where applicable.

What we need is a proper system where consistency is rewarded.I like the idea of 8 groups of 4 where even weaker teams like Clare,London etc get more games.It would also get rid of the time gap that provincial champions suffer as well as the qualifier gap where teams may have to wait 6 week til their next game.

Eg

Group A

1.Cork (NFL 1 Champs)
    2.Mayo
    3.Fermanagh
    4.Laois

Group B

1.Armagh (NFL 2 Champs)
    2.Dublin
    3.Down
    4.Limerick

Group C

1.Sligo (NFL3 Champs and Connaught Champions)
    2.Kildare
    3.Derry
    4.Carlow

Group D

1.Waterford (NFL 4 champs
    2.Wexford
    3.Galway
    4.Monaghan

Group E

1.Tyrone (Ulster Champs)
    2.Monaghan
    3.Louth
    4.Offaly

Group F

1.Kerry (Munster Champs)
    2.Roscommon
    3.Tipperary
    4.Donegal

Group G

1.Meath (Leinster Champs)
    2.Longford
    3.Antrim
    4.Westmeath

Group H

1.London
    2.Leitrim
    3.Wicklow
    4.Clare

If we are to go by this years model of league and provincial winners (some of it assumed) then we would get some interesting groupsHave the other 3 teams at random.Also do a random draw where table toppers and runners up from each group are put in a drum beforehand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Can it be taken that those that look for extented championship seasons are ones that have little if any regard for the club scene, which is the most important unit of the gaa. To revert back to a play knockout system would be the best solution, and if managers and county boards were looking for meaningful games let them put more of an empuses on the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

What about professionalism. My idea would support that. More games, more tv. As for the club scene why do inter-county players play for their club. Shouldn't it be a promotion. Make clubs play without their inter-county players and bring youngsters up.

DH2K9 wrote: »
    What about professionalism. My idea would support that. More games, more tv. As for the club scene why do inter-county players play for their club. Shouldn't it be a promotion. Make clubs play without their inter-county players and bring youngsters up.

Anyone thinking that the GAA could support professional players is away with the fairies. Hurling and Football is not like other sports. It appeals mostly to the Irish, so big tv comapnies are not going to throw millions ay it like they do with Rugby, Soccer and Crickey who all have a far bigger world wide audience. RTE, TV3, TG4 or Setanta are not going to give the association anything much greater than they do all ready. If money from gates was used to pay for these professionals you seem to be looking for, then the clubs will see hard times as much of this gate money is pumped back into the clubs year in, year out by the provincial and central councils.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Apologize in advance somebody has already come up with this format as I am new to boards.ie.

Play National Leagues and Provincial Championships earlier in the year and get rid of the secondary competitions in January like the O'Byrne Cup, McGrath Cup, Walsh Cup etc.

Once Provincial Championships are over use them as seedings for All-Ireland Championships.
    Finalists = 1
    Semi-Finalists = 2
    FOOTBALL

Play every team once.

Good post, I'd debate the merits of Kilkenny v London as the 32nd team though

Also I don't understand the Play-off

Does the 2nd placed team, play off against the 3rd placed from another group

BESman wrote: »
    OP's suggestion is the best I've heard in a long time. The Provinicial Championships are so stupid and redundant now that the qualifiers are in place. Why do we have Provincial Championships? What is the fascination with them?

Even though the provinicial championship are flwaed you cannot deny that they are going to be a huge deal for Louth, Sligo, Roscommon and Monaghan this year, plus had Limerick won last Sunday then they would be huge in that county

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Anyone thinking that the GAA could support professional players is away with the fairies. Hurling and Football is not like other sports. It appeals mostly to the Irish, so big tv comapnies are not going to throw millions ay it like they do with Rugby, Soccer and Crickey who all have a far bigger world wide audience. RTE, TV3, TG4 or Setanta are not going to give the association anything much greater than they do all ready. If money from gates was used to pay for these professionals you seem to be looking for, then the clubs will see hard times as much of this gate money is pumped back into the clubs year in, year out by the provincial and central councils.

Totally agree, we do not have the market size in Ireland to support a large professional league

If it were to happen we may just end up with 6 teams in Football

Dublin + one more in the East
    One in the North
    One in West
    Kerry + one more in the South

Totally agree, we do not have the market size in Ireland to support a large professional league

If it were to happen we may just end up with 6 teams in Football

Dublin + one more in the East
    One in the North
    One in West
    Kerry + one more in the South

All you have to do is look at what has happened in soccer when someone got the idea that Ireland could sustain professional or near professional clubs. How many have gone out of buisness or nearly went out of buisness in recent years. Rugby folk wont want to hear this but i feel that Rugby will go the same route. Sky and Setanta will not keep pumbing money into the game. I only hope depite what Sean Óg, John Mullane and Jason Sherlock in recent times have been saying, that the GAA will never go professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Professionalism; NO...

Firstly, it would be unsustainable, there would have to be a dramatic increase in the amount of games, admission prices would have to go up, merchandise and marketing would go in to overdrive.

And free to air TV would probably go out the window too. Professionalism would only turn the GAA primarily into a money making machine. Some might argue that it already is, but professionalism would only make it ten times worse and it wouldn't be possible to continue with 32 counties. No more than eight counties would be able to survive.

Why do I follow Limerick? Because it is my county, and because the 15 guys on the pitch are the same as the rest of us, they are farmers, doctors, solicitors, college students, salesmen, and so on. They are not doing it for fiscal reward, they are doing it because like myself, they love my county.

Also, professionalism would only take the players away from their clubs. I absolutely love going to watch my club games at all levels, and I'm lucky enough that my club has had a nice supply of players who have been on the county panel for the last 10/15 years, the club has had a successful decade and it would not have happened but for a handful of our better players.

Look what professionalism has done for the AIL in rugby; once a province picks a Paul O'Connell from Young Munster or a John Hayes from Bruff, he pretty much never plays for his club again.

That's one thing that bothers me about all these championship formats people keep suggesting is that nine times out of ten they are all bad for the clubs, the more championship games the counties get the more it impacts negatively on the clubs.

The backdoor is what has caused the problems; there was no talk of professionalism or pay for play before ten years ago, because the backdoor has only served to increase the workload required from the players.

The backdoor has only served to dilute the importance of the national leagues and while it has given weaker counties more games, it has only served to increase the chances of success for stronger counties. The backdoor probably cost Waterford an All-Ireland in 2004 and it has probably cost Cork, Dublin and a few others the Sam Maguire too.

Take away the backdoor and the leagues take on more importance, we go back to good old traditional knockout one chance only hurling (and football) which produced an undefeated All-Ireland champion, the club county championships would benefit, and the decreased workload on intercounty players would put an end to talk of pay for play. It's not perfect but when we had it up to 1997 in hurling and 2001 in football, it worked fine. Yes, it was harsh that a season was over after just one defeat, but apart from that there was nothing wrong.

And there is no need to point out to me that it will never happen because I already know that!!

jordainius wrote: »

Take away the backdoor and the leagues take on more importance, we go back to good old traditional knockout one chance only hurling (and football) which produced an undefeated All-Ireland champion, the club county championships would benefit, and the decreased workload on intercounty players would put an end to talk of pay for play. It's not perfect but when we had it up to 1997 in hurling and 2001 in football, it worked fine. Yes, it was harsh that a season was over after just one defeat, but apart from that there was nothing wrong.

Agree 100%. If county managers and County Boards put more of an imputus on the leagues there would be no need for back door competitions and these champion league style championships that people alook for. Straight knockout championships work best, always did and always will. Do teams in england get a second chance if they are beaten in the FA Cup. No. You loose and you are out. The Hurling and Football Championships should be the same. Imagine the boust a weaker county would get if Kilkenny were knocked out of the hurling championship at the first hurdle, or if Kerry, Cork, Dublin or Tyrone were to fall in football. Right now the weaker county will have to watch the sting in the tail of the stronger counties if they are knocked out of the provincial championships without silverware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭DC_Roscommon

IMO the easiest thing to do would be to start the championship in March and play the league throughtout the season. Get rid of the qualifiers. Have league one week, championship the next. It would give counties knocked out of the championship something to play for. eg for Roscommon something like...

March 5 London --- Connaght Quater-Final
    March 18 Limerick --- League r1
    March 29 Louth --- League r2
    April 10 Leitrim --- Connaght Semi Final
    etc.......

:cool:

IMO the easiest thing to do would be to start the championship in March and play the league throughtout the season. Get rid of the qualifiers. Have league one week, championship the next. It would give counties knocked out of the championship something to play for. eg for Roscommon something like...

etc.......

Great idea, but when and where are clubs going to get to play if this happens. Its ok in Soccer and Rugby where big name players dont play with a unit beneath the high level they play at. GAA players, the best of them, play for a county and for something called a club

Between October and March

• Advertisement

Finalists = 1
    Semi-Finalists = 2
    FOOTBALL

Play every team once.

Based on this years Provincial Championships this is what a system would look like, note the only rule I used was that a semi-finalist cannot play in the same group as the finalist they lost to.

Does not look to bad, mind you Group 1 is a bit of a tough one

Monaghan
    Galway
    Kildare
    Derry

Kerry
    Down
    Wicklow
    Armagh

Sligo
    Fermamagh
    Laois
    London

Louth
    Letrim
    Wexford
    Carlow

Tyrone
    Cork
    Mayo
    Longford

Roscommon
    Westmeath
    Antrim
    Offaly

Meath
    Waterford
    Donegal
    Derry

Limerick
    Dublin
    Cavan
    Tipperary

Between October and March

I hope you are like me at times on the forums and say things to get some people going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

i was thinking of something similar enough myself op :) only for football though.

where you play the provincial championships first and seed the teams depending on where they finish into 8 groups of 4 - london, kilkenny and new york should have a 3 way play off to determine who gets the 32nd spot.

then into a last 16 knock out. i think this would keep traditionalists who are in favour of retaining the provincial championships happy, also those who like knockout (for the all-ireland winners, they will end up having played 4 knockout matches - back in the day kerry often only had to play 4 games to win, munster semi/final and AI semi/final) and those who want a more equitable system as currently it simply is not fair to everyone.

there are no doubt flaws to this as it would mean much more games (finding time for everything is difficult enough as it is), but as a player i know well this is what i would prefer. if there werent matches there would be training. give me matches every day over training.

it would need to be well laid out in advance so as not to interfere with club football (which is the major drawback) and also it would more than likely necessitate the scrapping of the o'byrne/mcgrath cups etc which i would not like to see as i think they are very useful competitions for blooding young players and i feel that teams would be playing challenges anyway so may as well have competitive games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

aDeener wrote: »
    where you play the provincial championships first and seed the teams depending on where they finish into 8 groups of 4 - london, kilkenny and new york should have a 3 way play off to determine who gets the 32nd spot.

There is not enough time to play both a meaningless (as it would be under that proposal) provincial championship and some crazy group thing, the league doesn’t really work so why would doing it on a smaller scale be bigger success? And why do you need to seed teams? Its a championship, you win one match and progress to the next round, simple. A back door gives teams a second chance.
    Heres what I propose;

Basically its the same as the present system except provincial structure is reorgansied into four regional championships with 8 teams in each. This allows a more structured system with all teams playing the same amount of games. The problem with the current system is some teams can get to a provincial final by playing one game and so can reach a All Ireland quarter final with two wins while some teams would have to play six games to reach that stage.

Divide the teams up as FirePower sugested earlier in the thread, allowing local rivalries to be retained and keeping the prestige of a provincial championship:
    FirePower wrote: »

Southern Championship:
    Kerry
    Cork
    Waterford
    Tipperary
    Limerick
    Wexford
    Carlow
    London or Kilkenny if they ever take an interest in football

Wexford and Carlow are perfect for relocation since their southern counties and in Leinster football their only rivals are each other.

Western Championship:
    Clare
    Galway
    Mayo
    Sligo
    Leitrim
    Donegal
    Longford
    Roscommon

Clare have a hurling rivalry with Galway and are separated from the rest of munster by the shannon so they can be considered a western county. Donagal sees itself as a province in itself so they could be convinced to leave ulster. Longford's a trickier one because they'll be separated from their rival westmeath.

Northern Championship:
    Antrim
    Down
    Derry
    Armagh
    Tyrone
    Fermanagh
    Cavan
    Monaghan

Largely the same as ulster. Donegal no longer there of course.

Eastern Championship:
    Louth
    Meath
    Dublin
    Westmeath
    Wicklow
    Laois
    Offaly
    Kildare

The way it works then is as follows (Note: each game week as I have called them means matches played over Friday, Saturday and Sunday of a weekend, although not necessarily on each day just that weekend, and they do not need to be in consecutive weekends, eg. Game Week 2 can be played two weeks after Game Week 1);

Game Week 1; Championship kicks off (or throws in!) with a bang with a weekend long feast of football. Quarter finals in each regional championship with all 32 counties in action on one weekend. With a few big local clashes (Tyrone v Armagh or Cork v Kerry), a doubleheader at Croker maybe on Sunday and the right promotion should get fans out in force. Winners into Semi finals while losser have to go through the backdoor.

Game Week 2; The 16 lossing teams from Game Week 1 playoff in what is effectively the backdoor.

Game Week 3; Semi Finals in each regional championship. 8 matches in total across the weekend. Again if its well marketed and venues chosen carefully there could be big attendences across the country. Winners advance to regional finals while lossers again drop to back door.

Game Week 4; 8 winners from Game Week 2 (round 1 of Qualifiers) are joined by the 8 lossers from the regional championships semi finals. 16 teams in round 2 with 8 progressing to round 3.

Game Week 5; Regional championship finals weekend, probabily two on Saturday and two on Sunday for TV coverage.

Game Week 6; Round 3 of the qualifiers, the 8 winners from round 2 in Game Week 4.

Game Week 7; Round 4 of the qualifiers, the 4 winners from round 3 are joined by the 4 lossing regional championship finalists.

Game Week 8; All Ireland quarter finalists with 4 regional champions playing the 4 teams to have made it through the back door.

Game Week 9; All Ireland semi finals

Game Week 10; All Ireland final

The advantages of this are;
    • The 10 Game Week structure allows for greater planning. No club games on these weekends, theres only ten game weeks so plenty of time in the rest of the calander for club fixtures (last years chmpionship started on 10th May and finished on 20th September with games on 16 weekends). County leagues and championships can be better fixed around these set dates
    • Boosts both because clubs have their county players and counties get more supporters (some games in Cavan this Sunday even though county team plays Cork on Saturday, thats just retarded)
    • Local rivalries are retained through regional championships
    • You also get a few random fixtures in the back door (Im heading to Cork tomorrow for the Cavan game on Saturday, dont know when the last time we played them was)
    • Weaker teams who have no chance of winning the All Ireland still have the pride of being regional champions to aim for
    • Every county is gauranteed at least two championship matches with only 8 teams playing two and very other team gets three or more (with straight knock out teams that only get one championship match each year will lose support and if it continues interest and playing numbers will drop)
    • Regional winners play three matches to get to quarter finals, back door teams play five (better than 2 and 6). Back door has to be a longer route anyway otherwise there is no advantage for regional winners
    • The cream will rise to the top and the most deserving team will be crowned All Ireland champions. Even if the big teams lose the first day they will continue through the qualifiers meaning we get to see the top players again, upping the standard and drawing crowds. Weaker teams who get hammered the first day also get a second bit of the cherry to redeem themselves

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    There is not enough time to play both a meaningless (as it would be under that proposal) provincial championship and some crazy group thing, the league doesn’t really work so why would doing it on a smaller scale be bigger success? And why do you need to seed teams? Its a championship, you win one match and progress to the next round, simple. A back door gives teams a second chance.

i know what i proposed isn't perfect, i don't think any system is i was just throwing it out there as there certainly is better formats available than the current one. that said.
    i dont think the provincial championship is meaningless: only cork, kerry, dublin, galway, mayo & tyrone don't truly value them every other county would cherise such a win. seeding would give all counties that extra incentive to perform in them as it would give an easier group. the group also gives a second chance as a team can still lose yet qualify for the last 16. this guarantees 1 provincial match and 3 championship games in the group. i dont see how you think the league doesnt work :confused: thats purely subjective, imo the league is excellent, gives all counties something to strive for and prepares teams for championship.

i accept your point on the time frame of this, that would be a problem.

i like the notion of an open draw competition i have to say

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

i dont think the provincial championship is meaningless: only cork, kerry, dublin, galway, mayo & tyrone don't truly value them every other county would cherise such a win. seeding would give all counties that extra incentive to perform in them as it would give an easier group.

I dont think the provincial championship is meaningless, but it would be if it was only a way of improving your seeding for a group stage. Even if you were a no 1 seed for the draw you could still end up in a very difficult group. Based on this years provincial championships, Dublin, Cork, Armagh and Derry could all be lower seeds. A team like Roscommon could end up in a group with two of these plus maybe Kerry or Tyrone. A good run in provincial championship could potentially be of no benefit to a weaker team when it comes to the group stage and therefore it becomes meaningless to them.
    i dont see how you think the league doesnt work :confused: thats purely subjective, imo the league is excellent, gives all counties something to strive for and prepares teams for championship.

Theres nothing wrong with the league as such, imo. What I meant was it doesnt draw crowds the way a good local darby in the provincial championship does. I just dont see they doing it with groups of four would be any different.
    i like the notion of an open draw competition i have to say

No, just... No.

I dont think the provincial championship is meaningless, but it would be if it was only a way of improving your seeding for a group stage. Even if you were a no 1 seed for the draw you could still end up in a very difficult group. Based on this years provincial championships, Dublin, Cork, Armagh and Derry could all be lower seeds. A team like Roscommon could end up in a group with two of these plus maybe Kerry or Tyrone. A good run in provincial championship could potentially be of no benefit to a weaker team when it comes to the group stage and therefore it becomes meaningless to them.

a provincial title will be looked at as a huge achievement from say the likes of limerick, sligo, louth were they to win it regardless of what may happen afterwards. the chances are though the better the seeding you get the easier the group should be, i know that that will not always work out that way given the luck of the draw but there is nothing that can be done about it. which is the same now, a team could wind up in the q-final from the qualifiers due to getting poor teams whereas a decent enough team like donegal are out.
    Theres nothing wrong with the league as such, imo. What I meant was it doesnt draw crowds the way a good local darby in the provincial championship does. I just dont see they doing it with groups of four would be any different.
    that is down to the piss poor attempts from the gaa at marketing. look at what they achieved for the 1st round dublin tyrone league match in 2009. its unreal what can/could be achieved with a bit of effort.

No, just... No.

it'll not happen anyway, i like the romanticism of it like the fa cup, one chance, drawn against anybody! :D the centenary cup was a fair success when it was done

Heres what I propose;

Basically its the same as the present system except provincial structure is reorgansied into four regional championships with 8 teams in each. This allows a more structured system with all teams playing the same amount of games. The problem with the current system is some teams can get to a provincial final by playing one game and so can reach a All Ireland quarter final with two wins while some teams would have to play six games to reach that stage.

Divide the teams up as FirePower sugested earlier in the thread, allowing local rivalries to be retained and keeping the prestige of a provincial championship:

The way it works then is as follows (Note: each game week as I have called them means matches played over Friday, Saturday and Sunday of a weekend, although not necessarily on each day just that weekend, and they do not need to be in consecutive weekends, eg. Game Week 2 can be played two weeks after Game Week 1);

Game Week 1; Championship kicks off (or throws in!) with a bang with a weekend long feast of football. Quarter finals in each regional championship with all 32 counties in action on one weekend. With a few big local clashes (Tyrone v Armagh or Cork v Kerry), a doubleheader at Croker maybe on Sunday and the right promotion should get fans out in force. Winners into Semi finals while losser have to go through the backdoor.

Game Week 2; The 16 lossing teams from Game Week 1 playoff in what is effectively the backdoor.

Game Week 3; Semi Finals in each regional championship. 8 matches in total across the weekend. Again if its well marketed and venues chosen carefully there could be big attendences across the country. Winners advance to regional finals while lossers again drop to back door.

Game Week 4; 8 winners from Game Week 2 (round 1 of Qualifiers) are joined by the 8 lossers from the regional championships semi finals. 16 teams in round 2 with 8 progressing to round 3.

Game Week 5; Regional championship finals weekend, probabily two on Saturday and two on Sunday for TV coverage.

Game Week 6; Round 3 of the qualifiers, the 8 winners from round 2 in Game Week 4.

Game Week 7; Round 4 of the qualifiers, the 4 winners from round 3 are joined by the 4 lossing regional championship finalists.

Game Week 8; All Ireland quarter finalists with 4 regional champions playing the 4 teams to have made it through the back door.

Game Week 9; All Ireland semi finals

Game Week 10; All Ireland final

The advantages of this are;
    • The 10 Game Week structure allows for greater planning. No club games on these weekends, theres only ten game weeks so plenty of time in the rest of the calander for club fixtures (last years chmpionship started on 10th May and finished on 20th September with games on 16 weekends). County leagues and championships can be better fixed around these set dates
    • Boosts both because clubs have their county players and counties get more supporters (some games in Cavan this Sunday even though county team plays Cork on Saturday, thats just retarded)
    • Local rivalries are retained through regional championships
    • You also get a few random fixtures in the back door (Im heading to Cork tomorrow for the Cavan game on Saturday, dont know when the last time we played them was)
    • Weaker teams who have no chance of winning the All Ireland still have the pride of being regional champions to aim for
    • Every county is gauranteed at least two championship matches with only 8 teams playing two and very other team gets three or more (with straight knock out teams that only get one championship match each year will lose support and if it continues interest and playing numbers will drop)
    • Regional winners play three matches to get to quarter finals, back door teams play five (better than 2 and 6). Back door has to be a longer route anyway otherwise there is no advantage for regional winners
    • The cream will rise to the top and the most deserving team will be crowned All Ireland champions. Even if the big teams lose the first day they will continue through the qualifiers meaning we get to see the top players again, upping the standard and drawing crowds. Weaker teams who get hammered the first day also get a second bit of the cherry to redeem themselves

If this type of championship was to be used you would have to scrap the National Leagues, so that counties could get some chance to play their county championships. If this was to happen you would have certain managers crying into their tea-cups as they would be claiming that they would not have enough games to try out new players ahead of the championship.

I dont think the provincial championship is meaningless.

Neither do i, and i dount the Munster Council would want to loose its Senior Hurling Championship, Leinster would not want to loose it football because of the numbers that attend Dublin's games and the ulster council would not want to loose its football championship.

• Advertisement

Deise Tom wrote: »
    I hope you are like me at times on the forums and say things to get some people going.

;):p Couldn't help it lol......

etc.......

With a break in the middle for clubs...(?)

Advertisement