Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ireland I miss.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Nice one OP - That brought back some great memories indeed. Weird looking back at Ireland before it sold it's soul.

Don't make me laugh. Weren't there still industrial schools/magdalene laundries in the 80's ? Michael Neary was performing hysterectomies at the drop of a hat and noone was listening to the whistle-blowers. Dodgy beyond belief planning deals were being formed. Child-abuse was rife in the Catholic church and again whistle-blowers were ignored. Charlie Haughey was pilfering all around.

Ireland sold its soul a long time before we had money. Indeed you could argue that was the first step in getting money to begin with. The country is in a far better state now that it ever was back then - even morally. If anything, Ireland is discovering its conscience since the recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭andy winter

8:49

i didn't know Jackie Chan was an Ireland supporter.......... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Great video, Billo and dunphy are still there gathering dust :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

:( If only i could go back to the early 90's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

When Ireland score against England, the camera pans to the barman celebrating and still pulling a pint!

That man has his priorities straight!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

AAH great thread!!! I was getting shivers up my spine looking at the video on post 1 and nearly crying looking at pj`s video. I will tell you one thing I for one was happier then. Never had a problem with money etc. God be with the days.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I don't miss this Ireland. In fact, I can't. I wasn't born.

This is the Ireland I wished I'd lived through however. I bet I wouldn't be as dry and cynical if I'd had the opportunity to experience that kind of widespread unbridled joy evident in the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

Surely to god people if we recognize that we lost our way , surely we can get back on track , I wasn't around for Italia 90 , but everybody just looks so much more happier in that video and I kinda wish i had been around for it so stuff your " it was 20 years ago get over it " crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

bad2dabone wrote: »
    jesus we were much uglier back in 1990.
    Sadly some things never change....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭worded

Very uplifting looking at that. The memories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

(bugger it, I'm posting this in R&R.)

Watch Penn & Teller: Bullshít's nostalgia episode if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I bet any money if we got to the quater final of the world cup this time around...the place would be just as crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

catbear wrote: »

Anyway the one thing that really struck me about that video is the marked increase in obesity since then in this country.

Or the marked decrease in smoking and drinking yourself thin?

All the people up in arms about the situation as it is now is ridiculous tbh. It's a recesiion. We had one in the 80's and it was worse. I was only born in 81 and I can see my life is better now than it was in the 80's when my dad was out of work. Im out of work now but theres little danger of me struggling for a place to live or for food. We (as a family) were much closer to that then. To all the people who like a good moan and are under 35-40, just dont use it all up because you WILL see another recession in your working life, only by then you'll most likely be wondering what all the fuss is about because you got through one before.

The country was a ****hole in the 80's and early 90's . A proper one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I'm not old enough to remember Italia 90, but I was in an Irish pub in London watching Ireland win the first Grand Slam in 62 years last year, and I'll never forget it. Packed to the rafters, the highs and lows of that match, Old men reduced to tears, people singing, drinking, shouting. It was incredible. I wouldn't believe anyone whos say those days are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

I think it highlights how this country lost its way. :(

bull****..its got better if anything!

shannon airport at 3am, fans come out in there thousands to greet the players home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭sir snackbox

man i was 2 when italia '90 came around but that video brought shivers to my spine!

amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I was showing my dad the video and some of the comments and he def thinks people are romanticising things. He was driving back from work through town on the night Ireland beat Romania and was telling me he genuinely felt in danger with wasted people everywhere banging the car, running across the bonnet, jumping out in front of him. There was still a large element of scumbaggery in Ireland 20 years ago. It wasn't all just dodgy haircuts and Penney's replica jerseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

zuutroy wrote: »
    It wasn't all just dodgy haircuts and Penney's replica jerseys.

Fair enough point, and I'm as guilty as the next person of romanticising the past but it was a remarkable moment in our history. Yes, there was high unemployment and drugs and emigration but that's what made the elation all the more enjoyable. Things were so grim, it took something extremely special to lift our spirits to that extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

we are a serious serious sport loving nation. If those heights are reached again sometime soon, I would have no doubt that the celebrations would be just as big as they were then.

The only thing we have lost is the quality of player to bring us to those heights again, but WC 2010 considered, ya never know ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

I don't care what anybody says, gaining wealth destroyed the people of this country. Watching that video is actually poignant, because I know we'll never get that level of spirit or care-freeness or joy back. Even if we won the world cup in 2014, I imagine the general attitude amongst us would be "meh...", such is the extent to which wealth and relative abundance had blunted our emotions.

It's always better when people emigrate to gain wealth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

LOL at the people saying "Oh everybody so much happier back then".... er of course they do it's a video of Ireland getting into the QF of the world cup for christsake it's hardly an in-depth study of Irish society in 1990 and if it was i'll gaurantee you it would make for much less nostalgiac viewing.

Another thing i noticed was everyone throwing beermats and stuff at the screen when the English anthem was on, conveniently forgetting we had an English manager. I think for the most part Irish people have moved on from all that shite now which is another good change we've made since then.

All the same though it's still a great video, if anything it proves how great Irish fans are when it comes to sport, and the sense of togertheness it brings.

Advertisement