Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ireland I miss.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Love it.

4:43 - Absolutely feckin brilliant.

8:36 - Vuvuzella??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Love it.

4:43 - Absolutely feckin brilliant.

I think it highlights how this country lost its way. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,215 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It's quite depressing to be honest.
    What I would give to rewind 15-20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

jesus we were much uglier back in 1990.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

If we won the world cup in 2014 I doubt we'd get the same reaction from the people as Italia 90 lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

its 20 years ago cop on :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

duckysauce wrote: »

Shut up ya pup.

Jesus. The damage we could have done to england this time around .. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

duckysauce wrote: »

That makes me feel soooooooo old. Dammit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

I can't watch it now but I'll alreay say brilliant! I wish I was old enough to enjoy the pubs for Italia 90. Can still remember the buzz and I was only 7

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Two euro pound plastic horn from Hector Greys. Alternatively Ireland claim to the home of the Vuvuzella?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Simply better times.

You can't forget Put Them Under Pressure

Surely the greatest world cup song a team has had? (Yer man crying at 2:38 says it all!)

I remember it was reported that the day Ireland played the quarter final was the only day in 30 or 40 years that no crime was reported in the country.
    May not be true but I'm believing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

I was born in 1990, damn I wish I was aware of that world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Jesus I hated this at the time being a kid who couldn't play soccer in any way what so ever.

I will say two things thou.

Jesus Bill is young looking.

And check out the dancing at 1:01 :eek: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Shows this country has no spirit left at all. How things can change in 20 years :(

Surely that wasnt Eamonn Dunphy on the projector for a few seconds? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Jeez, I remember it like it was only yesterday. We need to get that spirit back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

From about 8 minutes on is brilliant, and from watching it I would have to agree that ye we have kind of lost our way a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

EnterNow wrote: »
    Surely that wasnt Eamonn Dunphy on the projector for a few seconds? :eek:

It most certainly was :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

I don't care what anybody says, gaining wealth destroyed the people of this country. Watching that video is actually poignant, because I know we'll never get that level of spirit or care-freeness or joy back. Even if we won the world cup in 2014, I imagine the general attitude amongst us would be "meh...", such is the extent to which wealth and relative abundance had blunted our emotions.

Aw seriously enough of this bollocks talk. The place was a ****e-hole back then. You people are suffering from early onset senility grandpa simpson style. ooooowhen i was a lad things were better .....and i used to wear an onion on my belt as was the style at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

I thought people looked skinnier and better, more glasses to be seen though.
    You people are suffering from early onset senility grandpa simpson style. ooooowhen i was a lad things were better .....and i used to wear an onion on my belt as was the style at the time

The "nostalgia" apparently comes from people not alive then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

Aw seriously enough of this bollocks talk. The place was a ****e-hole back then. You people are suffering from early onset senility grandpa simpson style. ooooowhen i was a lad things were better .....and i used to wear an onion on my belt as was the style at the time

Think most of us are just saying it looked like such craic in fairness. But I don't lament the days when we hadn't a pot to piss in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

bad2dabone wrote: »

A lot skinnier tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

So people in this country are happier now than 20 or 30 years ago, in your opinion? Was life not simpler back then when everybody knew their neighbors, people didn't expect much and hence didn't suffer huge disappointment in life?
    Kids could play on the streets without their parents having to watch over them...people ate healthier and lived healthier...there was none of this Celtic-tiger bullshít pressure to "keep up with the Joneses"....the non-availability of 100 sky channels and broadband Internet meant peoples brains weren't fried from being constantly entertained and stimulated and hence, a trip to the cinema was a massive treat.....people didn't commute for 4 hours a day to sit in an office in Dublin, trapped in this miserable existence by the fact that they have a 40 year mortgage grabbing them by the balls....children were grateful for any little treat, like a trip to the seaside, whereas now they are spoilt little brats getting helicopters to their communions.....yeah, I think my parents arn't lying when they say people were happier back in the 80's, despite the fact that money was tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Good clip. Qualifying for a major tournament would bring up the spirits of many folks down in the dumps over the economic mess the country is in. Bring us to the Euros, Trap. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

Kids could play on the streets without their parents having to watch over them...people ate healthier and lived healthier...there was none of this Celtic-tiger bullshít pressure to "keep up with the Joneses"....the non-availability of 100 sky channels and broadband Internet meant peoples brains weren't fried from being constantly entertained and stimulated and hence, a trip to the cinema was a massive treat.....people didn't commute for 4 hours a day to sit in an office in Dublin, trapped in this miserable existence by the fact that they have a 40 year mortgage grabbing them by the balls....children were grateful for any little treat, like a trip to the seaside, whereas now they are spoilt little brats getting helicopters to their communions.....yeah, I think my parents arn't lying when they say people were happier back in the 80's, despite the fact that money was tight.

We are talking about the 80's not the 50's. i am 34 so I lived some of this. Here to tell you that

1) We had plenty of distractions. There is far greater technological distance between 1990 and 1970 then 1990 and now.
    2) People were as greedy as now. People dont change.
    3) A trip to the cinema was not any more of a treat than now. There were TV's. Colour TVs. In fact TV's didnt change much until the recent flat screen malarky.

You seem to think that we were all poor then and all rich now

"children were grateful for any little treat, like a trip to the seaside, whereas now they are spoilt little brats getting helicopters to their communions.."

What, all of them? All of Ireland is getting helicoptered to communions? And everybody back then only went on holiday to the "seaside". There were planes and helicopters in 1990. There were rich and poor.

The only accurate thing you have is the increased commute and the 40 year mortgage. A fault of the people who got the mortgages and the banks, and the people running those banks were very much alive and well in 1990. Some may have been in that picture.

Growing up in the 80's i neither recognise the religious hell-hole, or the fantastical lovely kind place it was supposedly. It was like now. With slightly more priests and slightly less technology.

We also had even higher unemployment ans mass emigration than we have now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Pittens wrote: »
    We are talking about the 80's not the 50's. i am 34 so I lived some of this. Here to tell you that

1) We had plenty of distractions. There is far greater technological distance between 1990 and 1970 then 1990 and now.
    2) People were as greedy as now. People dont change.
    3) A trip to the cinema was not any more of a treat than now. There were TV's. Colour TVs. In fact TV's didnt change much until the recent flat screen malarky.

You seem to think that we were all poor then and all rich now

"children were grateful for any little treat, like a trip to the seaside, whereas now they are spoilt little brats getting helicopters to their communions.."

What, all of them? All of Ireland is getting helicoptered to communions? And everybody back then only went on holiday to the "seaside". There were planes and helicopters in 1990. There were rich and poor.

The only accurate thing you have is the increased commute and the 40 year mortgage. A fault of the people who got the mortgages and the banks, and the people running those banks were very much alive and well in 1990. Some may have been in that picture.

Growing up in the 80's i neither recognise the religious hell-hole, or the fantastical lovely kind place it was supposedly. It was like now. With slightly more priests and slightly less technology.

Yes, I think a lot of people who are claiming that the 80's and early 90's were better than now are forgetting the fact that they were kids at the time so, of course, life was much better!

There was good and bad back then and good and bad right now. Overall, I prefer the now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Well I was in the US at the time because I couldn't get any work in Ireland.

I had to persuade the guys in my local bar to switch over to the soccer from the baseball!

Anyway the one thing that really struck me about that video is the marked increase in obesity since then in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I was a kid during Italia' 90, so as someone said - my perspective was not a true reflection. But I DO think we (collectively) became too rich too fast. Not rich rich, but by our own standards. From the early 90's, to say 2005 seen an incredible burst in peoples income.

We got used to it too quickly, and now that its gone, it seems to hit home that little bit harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Nice one OP - That brought back some great memories indeed. Weird looking back at Ireland before it sold it's soul.

Advertisement