Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Western Greenway (Newport to Mulranny)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Sibhs

Hi I'm going to cycle the greenway this weekend. Starting in Newport, I'm not that familiar with the area so I was wondering is it easy to get parking and where is the best place to park....oh and I'm not good at parallel parking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Sibhs, The Westport-Newport section of the greenway will be opened by the Taoiseach this friday at 2pm. He will then lead a cycle from Westport to achill, 42km. If your down on friday maybe you'd like to go along. If you wish to start from Newport parking should be no problem. Its a small friendly town, no parking charges as far as I know. There's even a few 'perpendicular' spaces on the main street iirc. Anyone will point you in the direction of the greenway. Hope you enjoy it and welcome to Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭GotBainne?

Hi,
    I heard that the GreEnway (the bicycle route on the old Westport-Achill railway line) is being opened officially tomorrow. Does anyone know the schedule? In particular where will the celebrations be happening in Achill and at what time?

Cheers,
    GB.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

No need for a new thread on this, keep it in the one thread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Re Greenway

Ribbon being cut at Attireesh westport by Enda Kenny and Ml Ring at 2 today. Don't know of any arrangements for Achill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Piece in the Connaught Tribune/Galway City Tribune about the Great Western Greenway.
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/21174-wheeling-out-new-direction-cycling-west

• Registered Users Posts: 33 InkDispatch

Piece in the Connaught Tribune/Galway City Tribune about the Great Western Greenway.
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/21174-wheeling-out-new-direction-cycling-west

I would love to cycle this track but I have a road bike with pretty thin tyres. Would I be able to use this cylce path or would I need a mountain bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

InkDispatch You will have no problem. I done it on my bike which is a road bike and it was fine. Only 1 dodgy part before Mulranny coming from Newport where the ground is uneven. Its a superb day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Did it four weeks ago and it was great. Lot of people use their own 'hybrid' bikes which are a cross between a racer and a mountain bike i think and they work fine. Havent done the Westport stage or the Achill one but I'm told that there is some on-road cycling to be done but don't know how much at either end. Hopefully it will be all off-road at some stage because it is the envy of the whole country.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

There was a large notice in this week's Mayo News announcing major road upgrades on the N59. Included in those works are an under- and overpass to replace the two at-grade crossings of the N59 by the Greenway, and works to move all the remaining on-road sections off-road.

So, yay.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

oscarBravo wrote: »
    There was a large notice in this week's Mayo News announcing major road upgrades on the N59. Included in those works are an under- and overpass to replace the two at-grade crossings of the N59 by the Greenway, and works to move all the remaining on-road sections off-road.

So, yay.

That's good to hear. The on-road stretch leaving Newport heading towards Westport is particularly dangerous I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Should the title of this thread now be changed from
    "Great Western Greenway (Newport to Mulranny)" to "Great Western Greenway (Westport to Achill Sound)" ??

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

fotografix wrote: »
    Hi, cycled this last week between newport and mulranny. This seems to be the most scenic part of the greenway. They have started work to make the greenway offroad outside newport on the way to westport, but the newport-westport stretch is mainly just track beside the road, the stretch between newport and mulranny goes away from the road the most, peace and quiet! We rented bikes in Newport, from greenway bicycle hire, would recommend these guys, local and will pick you up if your gettin puffed out as i did on the way back! Great work by all involved in this greenway project...

The bit just after mulranny heading towards achill is the most spectacular imo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Patthecat

Mickeroo wrote: »
    fotografix wrote: »
    Hi, cycled this last week between newport and mulranny. This seems to be the most scenic part of the greenway. They have started work to make the greenway offroad outside newport on the way to westport, but the newport-westport stretch is mainly just track beside the road, the stretch between newport and mulranny goes away from the road the most, peace and quiet! We rented bikes in Newport, from greenway bicycle hire, would recommend these guys, local and will pick you up if your gettin puffed out as i did on the way back! Great work by all involved in this greenway project...

The bit just after mulranny heading towards achill is the most spectacular imo :)
    How long did it take you to get from Newport to mulrany?
    We are thinking about doing it with trailer for children.
    Are there many hills?
    What facilities are in mulrany ie coffee shop, kids activities?

Took me 3 hours - stopping to admire the view many times.

apart from access onto and from road, no real hills.

excellent re freshment available Newport, Tiernaur ( Nevins ) Mulranny ( Hotel, and various pubs )

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

Good article in the Times complimenting the landowners on their part in the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Westport to Newport is rubbish. Too many stops and having to cycle the last couple of miles to Newport on a narrow stretch along the main road is not great by any means. Wouldn't be inclined to do it again.

dec25532 wrote: »
    Westport to Newport is rubbish. Too many stops and having to cycle the last couple of miles to Newport on a narrow stretch along the main road is not great by any means. Wouldn't be inclined to do it again.
    The choice was to leave it that way on a temporary basis in order to have a Greenway on that route at all, or to open most of the Greenway but leave 2km on the road for a year or so until the road upgrades can happen, along with major Greenway upgrades including grade-separated road crossings.

Or would it have been better to leave cyclists on the N59 for the entire length of the Westport-Newport stretch?

I agree with Oscar Bravo.

The disused railway line had been sold to adjoining landowners c 1940.

the Council had to deal with the situation as they found it

Speaking of cyclists on the N59, what is with cyclists who are still using the narrow main road when there's a perfectly good Greenway right beside it?

Quid pro quo, people. We build you your own road; get the hell off ours!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Myself and a few friends will be cycling the greenway in June, cannot wait! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Patthecat

Just booked package today. 2 nights b&b + 1 evening meal for 2 adults+ 2 kids €279. This includes 1 day bike hire on the Greenway cycle track with packed lunch. Also free admission to a kids adventure park. The hotel is the Harlequin in Castlebar. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pauliewallie

anyone do this recently? how long would it take to cycle the full length westport to achill sound if you were just to put the head down and go for it?
    male, mid thirties, good fitness level, decent bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

1. Where were you cycling, on the road or on the footpath? There is a wide footpath that runs from the petrol station (and beforehand) the 1km out to the beginning of the Greenway so cyclists do not need to be on the road at all.
    2. Agreed, although the crossing is at a straight stretch of road with drivers being able to see cyclists crossing from both sides and vice versa.
    3. Better signing perhaps although I have no idea how anyone could get lost on the route, it is pretty obvious that the Greenway runs parallel to the main road.
    4. Agreed, as long as it was sympathetic to the surrounding landscape/greenway.
    5. No way to enforce this, in any event I would be against a charge even though it wouldn't bother me paying it.
    6. Dangers??? There is one place where you have to cross the main road and one hill, that's about the only 'dangers' I can come up with. You make it out to be riddled with danger, totally over the top imo.
    7. Perhaps, although I've never found it difficult to find the place, even when pulling a couple kids in a kiddie trailer.

Just reading back over this thread as I'm thinking of going back again.

I would disagree with you on the 2 point I have highlighted above.

Footpaths are not for bikes and the sign-age was woeful. No warning to motorists or speed ramps to slow cars down

IIRC the straight stretch of road was like a raceway with cars speeding. Again some warning signs/speed controls from 500mtrs either side would be welcome.

That aside I still think it is a terrific amenity for families to use and could not think of a better way to spend a day. Just wish more councils would follow suit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

anyone do this recently? how long would it take to cycle the full length westport to achill sound if you were just to put the head down and go for it?
    male, mid thirties, good fitness level, decent bike.

I did it in 1 hour 20 when I did it.

From Mullranny to Acill is flat and you can get up to some serious speed on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Thinking of doing this soon. Haven't much cycling done. Would it be easier to go from Achill to Westport or vice versa?. Or is it much the same either way?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

finbarrk wrote: »
    Thinking of doing this soon. Haven't much cycling done. Would it be easier to go from Achill to Westport or vice versa?. Or is it much the same either way?

Prevailing winds are south westerly so most of the time going from Achill to Westport you would have the wind at your back. I'd check the weather the night before and decide then.
    Plus, the best part of the greenway is Achill->Newport so if you're tired and cant finish it you will have the best part done!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Prevailing winds are south westerly so most of the time going from Achill to Westport you would have the wind at your back. I'd check the weather the night before and decide then.
    Plus, the best part of the greenway is Achill->Newport so if you're tired and cant finish it you will have the best part done!

Lovely. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Are there any pit stops (ahem, toilets/cafe/pub) on the Achill to Mulranny stretch please?

We are walking that section soon, and it would be a long time to walk without going to the loo!

Or alternatively, how is the hedging, could a lady nip behind that if caught short!

I am really looking forward to it. The whole thing looks great. Well done Mayo.

Hope I am not mown down by Giro D'Italia wannabes whilst walking though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Are there any pit stops (ahem, toilets/cafe/pub) on the Achill to Mulranny stretch please?

We are walking that section soon, and it would be a long time to walk without going to the loo!

Or alternatively, how is the hedging, could a lady nip behind that if caught short!

I am really looking forward to it. The whole thing looks great. Well done Mayo.

Hope I am not mown down by Giro D'Italia wannabes whilst walking though!

Certain I seen a portable loo on it the last time I was on it on that stretch but not certain.

Advertisement