Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midband speedtest Megaathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Schorpio

my speeds today:

1256202271.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

1256645446.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Was sucking a little bit earlier, but seems to be ok now

1256921549.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

This seems to be about the peak download speed I can get, I don't think its ever gone over 4

1267176465.png

Add yer image tags for the pic to be displayed above ^^ link

Edit... I stand corrected...

1267262108.png

Prob one of the best results goin for me... I think thats rather respectable considering its 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Always a half decent speed when very few others are on in the late night/ early morning :P

1267369356.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

Very happy with my 02 USB working here at home since getting network on a phone is usually a big problem.

Speed isn't an issue at home, just aslong as I get a connection I am fine.

1272370080.png

I usually get 3-4Meg from it in my college house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

This is my three iPhone 3GS tethered to my laptop.

Pretty decent speeds but it's 8:30AM in Cork city on a Sunday morning so might be slightly optimistic. :pac:

1276252201.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

here is a test i have done with my tesco mobile sim card have put it into my unlocked meteor dongle to see how fast it would be :o

1278777973.png

I have been told by Tesco here on boards that speeds are currently limited by O2 to just over 1Mb/s but i seem to be getting faster than that so happy days .

The speed used to be limited to 0.50Mb/s so its a definate improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Mine today. Fastest ever I think

1279879866.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Hey three, I guess I should delete my cookies and temp files :rolleyes:

1281798256.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Meteor in Mullingar. Delighted with the speed but pity about the ping.

1292975211.png

The dongle won't work downstairs, the dongle is taped to an upstairs windows. I'll most likely need to buy a 10 meter USB cable and feed it downstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

DonJose wrote: »
    The dongle won't work downstairs, the dongle is taped to an upstairs windows. I'll most likely need to buy a 10 meter USB cable and feed it downstairs.

Let us know how you get on with a 10 meter USB cable? afaik you might experience problems with getting enough power to the USB dongle down that cable and have data transmission problems? At those distances a 3G router might be a better bet. Happy to be proved wrong though.

More info on USB cables

Let us know how you get on with a 10 meter USB cable? afaik you might experience problems with getting enough power to the USB dongle down that cable and have data transmission problems? At those distances a 3G router might be a better bet. Happy to be proved wrong though.

More info on USB cables

Cheers for that, I blanked that idea about the USB cable and ordered the following, the higher up I place the dongle the faster speeds I can get so I'll mess around with some different routers.

TP-Link TL-MR3220 150MBPS Wireless Lite N 3G Router
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0043GWGV8/ref=oss_product

Zoom 3G Wireless-N Desktop Router
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002SXMH1C/ref=oss_product

Cheers for that, I blanked that idea about the USB cable and ordered the following, the higher up I place the dongle the faster speeds I can get so I'll mess around with some different routers.

TP-Link TL-MR3220 150MBPS Wireless Lite N 3G Router
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0043GWGV8/ref=oss_product

Zoom 3G Wireless-N Desktop Router
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002SXMH1C/ref=oss_product

The TP-Link works fine, not tried the Zoom 3G yet, perhaps you could report your results in the 3G/HSPA Routers thread.

The TP-Link works fine, not tried the Zoom 3G yet, perhaps you could report your results in the 3G/HSPA Routers thread.

Will do. Is there much ping loss using these routers?

Will do. Is there much ping loss using these routers?

Nothing compared to the Ping on the 3G network, anything less than the 100ms is excellent on a poor connection if you can be bothered to wait you might see speed test show 2000ms, its part and parcel of the technology I get pings between 150-350ms.

• Advertisement

Thats with one bar signal on router over wifi. (living in the middle of nowhere) Happy Days :)
    1293141346.png

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Right I bought the Meteor mobile broadband and despite only having one bar (or no bar of signal) these are the results from my first speed test....

1294219589.png

Second test:

1294224001.png

Third test:

1294233525.png

Interesting the way it varies...

Nice pings, did you go for the dongle or the hotspot. I originally went with the dongle but I can't receive a connection downstairs, upstairs I get 9mb download and 2.5 upload. I got the hotspot today and can get connected downstairs, I get roughly 4mb download and 2.5 upload. Gonna bring the hotspot back and get the dongle again and setup a router upstairs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Nice pings, did you go for the dongle or the hotspot. I originally went with the dongle but I can't receive a connection downstairs, upstairs I get 9mb download and 2.5 upload. I got the hotspot today and can get connected downstairs, I get roughly 4mb download and 2.5 upload. Gonna bring the hotspot back and get the dongle again and setup a router upstairs.

I've got the hotspot. Do you think the dongle would be fast?

It's the weirdest thing though - the hotspot works best in my room on the bed. If I put it pointing the mast at the other side of the house the speed falls dramatically.

The dongle is fast but the problem for me was I could not get any reception downstairs, upstairs I was getting upload speeds of 11mb/s. The E182 dongle can get speeds up to 14.4mb/s against the E173 that goes to 7.2mb/s, I think the hotspot is also up to 7.2mb/s. The only advantage of the hotspot is the great reception, I can connect to the internet downstairs using the dongle. I returned the dongle today and took the hotspot but I might just go back and buy the E182 dongle again as the download speeds are great and keep both. I'm going to do some research and see if those high gain antennas actually work, the E182 dongle and better reception would be GREAT.

http://www.panorama.co.uk/shop/antennas/w21-cp-9-1-crc9.html

Go back to meteor and get the dongle, if it doesnt work you can return it for the hotspot.

Meteor hotspot in Mullingar

1295702550.png

Meteor E182 dongle in Mullingar

1292975211.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Meteor in Mullingar with dongle connected to TP-Link router.

1299821630.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Meteor in Mullingar. Delighted with the speed but pity about the ping.

1292975211.png

Try one of these, works great for me,
    http://www.commsoft.ie/shop/3gn.php

• Advertisement

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Try one of these, works great for me,
    http://www.commsoft.ie/shop/3gn.php

Why when he already has one of these....
    Meteor in Mullingar with dongle connected to TP-Link router.

The Dovardo is good but you can pick those TP-Link routers up for well under half the price just seen on brand new at less than 40euro delivered on eBay.

Advertisement