Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midband speedtest Megaathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

thats woeful if your mast is 21mb capable - you shoould be using a bog standard HSPA 7.2mb download/2mb-5.6mb upload modem at the moment which means you should be getting beter service that that...with the modem you have - what is your modem may i ask?

Using a k3520 through a dovado router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Using a k3520 through a dovado router.

looks like its a 7.2mb modem that is HSPA as well as HSDPA compatible - it doesnt seem to be HSPA+ compatible so it could be part of the reason why its only that speed...

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭James Hunt

1019913247.png

That's about average. Complete garbage. You can forget YouTube or iTunes - it's taken about 25 mins to post this ffs.

1020048339.png

Ima bit more fortunate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭James Hunt

1021119130.png

• Advertisement

James Hunt wrote: »
    1021119130.png

did ye lodge a complaint yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Antigrav

You think you've got it bad :-(

1035379960.png

Vodafone IRL gave us a Network upgrade upto 21.6MB where I live. So i'm getting about 3x performance from the upgrade. (I used to get 1MB)

So I mean it's not bad for Mobile Broadband with a Unlimited Data Plan sans the VOIP + P2P. The day I get full 7.2MBPS... That would Rock! I'd setup a VOIP+P2P machine on my familys main network and keep my MiFi to me!

5208751313_8e7388783a.jpg

BTW, These speeds are in my Bedroom plugged in against a wall opposite of a window, I've yet to try it at the Window.

Vodafone IRL gave us a Network upgrade upto 21.6MB where I live. So i'm getting about 3x performance from the upgrade. (I used to get 1MB)

So I mean it's not bad for Mobile Broadband with a Unlimited Data Plan sans the VOIP + P2P. The day I get full 7.2MBPS... That would Rock! I'd setup a VOIP+P2P machine on my familys main network and keep my MiFi to me!

5208751313_8e7388783a.jpg

BTW, These speeds are in my Bedroom plugged in against a wall opposite of a window, I've yet to try it at the Window.

thats not bad but still very poor in what it should be with the upgrade (vodafone quoted a real world max of 16mb - which isnt accurate) - also it looks you are still on HSDPA instead of HSPA with your latency that high so you might not be getting the full benefit mate until you get HSPA signal...the increased speed might be because more people are on HSPA and less on HSDPA

see how each window goes mate ;) ye mkight get a nice suprise...i still cant understand why a company would release a package with no VOIP or p2p - ye cnat play xbox or use skype with such a system (my personal opinion mate - nowt else)

question though - is it truely unlimited or is there a fair usuage policy?

thats not bad but still very poor in what it should be with the upgrade (vodafone quoted a real world max of 16mb - which isnt accurate) - also it looks you are still on HSDPA instead of HSPA with your latency that high so you might not be getting the full benefit mate until you get HSPA signal...the increased speed might be because more people are on HSPA and less on HSDPA

see how each window goes mate ;) ye mkight get a nice suprise...i still cant understand why a company would release a package with no VOIP or p2p - ye cnat play xbox or use skype with such a system (my personal opinion mate - nowt else)

question though - is it truely unlimited or is there a fair usuage policy?

From what I did on 12GB I didn't get a eviction letter.

Ok taken this at the window. Lower latency but lower MBPS

24qu9u0.png

• Advertisement

From what I did on 12GB I didn't get a eviction letter.

Ok taken this at the window. Lower latency but lower MBPS

24qu9u0.png

Aye HSPA latency there me thinks - bit disappointed witht eh download sped though....still latency you dont have to worry about since you are using no VOIP or p2p services so raw speed might well do :)

chers for the feedback on this new vodafone upgrades - let us know how it keeps going :D

They (as in vodafone on this forum in the business section) did say though that there are seperate price plans for the faster speeds - does this include the price plan you are on at the moment may i ask? that could be where you might not be getting the higher speeds when connected to HSPA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Now Dave...:D

1068745688.png

SSSSHHHHH Dont tell Patrick...:D

1069561816.png

we wont say nowt -.- :P

mayo.mick wrote: »
    vodafone have upgraded my local mast to 3.5g ( its showing this on my nokia x6) the speeds seem to have improved a little, they should be better. Would the new modem k4505 improve my speeds? and if so, where would i be able to buy one sim free? Looked on expansys but they don't have them:(.

Here's my speeds today,

1017049928.png

and my ping,

27404853.png

Just got the new k4505 in my local vodafone shop, here's my speeds now

1071880405.png

and my ping,

30242570.png

Won't know rightly how much of an improvment it is untill i upload a few video's to youtube, but it doe's seem to be opening pages a lot faster:)

My speeds today :mad::mad::mad:

1073008258.png

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

1073603810.png

30330872.png

With the new E1820 Modem on 3.

1073723929.png

wee bit sluggish tonight but the latency is quality :D

Speeds improved today, problems because of the weather:confused:

1074725794.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Not too bad I suppose..

Usually get around 4.5 - 5 most days
    1078349689.png

1079017733.png

nice upload :P

• Advertisement

Meh Dave!!!!!!:P:P

1079656975.png

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Meh Dave!!!!!!:P:P

1079656975.png

aye couldnt care bout upload really - latency is the stickler for me :P

my net has suffered tonight though..cell tower is almost down with the heavy snow again :(

1080027061.png

1080622248.png

:):):):):)

1088748964.png

discovered that i could use my 10gb smart phone data plan on my meteor sim in the b60a router from three...it appears that the router was unlocked originally (nice to note if you got the same router off three) so i put my iphone sim into it and this is what i got lol - nice backup to have when i have used up my 3 allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

1088833369.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

after a few hours of the local cell going off and on over and over its now working again with good latency speeds dont really bother me as long as my latency is ok

1091576620.png

• Registered Users Posts: 34 clemyeats

Mount Temple, Co. Westmeath.

Eircom DSL:

1097204695.png

Three Ireland 3G (Unlocked Huawei E5832 placed in the attic):

1097214997.png

It got up to [3.93Mbps/1.57Mbps]@120ms and I got the ping down to around 80ms at times, but the speed test above is a good reflection of what I get in average with Three.

I also tested Vodafone.. consistently better than Eircom, but consistently below Three.

I can see here on the boards that Meteor could potentially do better for me and even be the best option for upload (that's actually more important than DL speed for what I do), so I'll try in the days to come.

Pity about the quality and the ping.. it creates problem when playing online. Then there's the problem of the traffic allowance... but all in all, it's pretty cool and handy to get speeds like these at home and around.

31494623.png

It's raining a lot right now so that might explain the D. I usually get a grade of B... but either way, it's pretty good for browsing/email/youtube and all.. but not good enough for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 clemyeats

Wednesday morning (less people on the mast, working or closer to towns):

1098000341.png

And a sunny day:

31535998.png

Initial tests on Meteor are disappointing. It looks like a good network but it also looks like they only provide 3G to towns, not rural areas...

I'm quite happy with Three. I found my mast ID using comreg's siteviewer but it simply says "3G".. no mention of the 3G technology activated on it. Among other things, I know it does HSPA but that's the maximum my modem can receive... I'm tempted to upgrade my modem to be able to receive 14Mbps, 21Mbps or 42Mbps but I can't find any information on this mast. Is there any way to get more info on a particular mast? A website I could visit, an Android app that analyzes the signal... something?

PS: I understand that an LTE enabled mast won't give me 21Mbps and that it's likely gonna be inconsistent and probably less than half that in average, but I'm still interested in getting a connection that can go beyond 7.2Mbps at times. Anyway, I'd love to know where to get more info on the rolled out networks and masts and to see exactly where in the country are these 14/21Mbps masts. I'm glad there's info on the masts location already, but "3G" and "GSM" are just too generic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

1113105312.png

on meteor broadband to go,
    i have no idea if this is good or not by the way, only got it today, before i was using 3,

• Advertisement

bladebrew wrote: »
    1113105312.png

on meteor broadband to go,
    i have no idea if this is good or not by the way, only got it today, before i was using 3,

Very good speed - meteor upload is double anyone elses out there at the moment so thats normal but ping/latency is a wee bit on the high side - ive a meteor data plan with my smart phone and it usually has the same result as yourself when i pop it into my 3g router

here is my 3 speed at the mo - its slower than usual but latency is good :)

1113128626.png

Advertisement