Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin's new craft beer spot opens today, 1st of July 2010

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

BeerNut wrote: »
    So are there actual pubs in Ireland which meet your need for craft cider?
    Porterhouse at a stretch. They has different ciders. Nothing craft, but I do try different ciders.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

stimpson wrote: »
    Franciscan Well in Cork do a cider.
    That's Weston's too, as is the Wicked cider sold in Sin É and Dice Bar in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

That's Weston's too, as is the Wicked cider sold in Sin É and Dice Bar in Dublin.

An it was made with concentrated apple juice too

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jowls

This place sounds great - well done to all involved.Must check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

the draught house cider i tried in Franciscan Well when i last visited had 'Orchard' in the title. It was scrumptious. A bit sweeter than Bulmers, i really liked it.

• Advertisement

grenache wrote: »
    the draught house cider i tried in Franciscan Well when i last visited had 'Orchard' in the title.
    "Shandon Orchard". It's still Weston's.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Just out of curiosity, is there any specific definition of "craft"? Does it mean small production, or does it mean made without chemicals, or does it mean tastes good to me, or does it mean anything that is not commonly available or does it mean not made by Diagio?

I think I can say with relative confidence that the scrumpy that the Somerset farmers sell in 3l jugs for a fiver outside Glastonbury are probably "craft" under any definition you care you imagine (save if "craft" excludes illegally produced death sauce with bits of pork scratchings in it), but other than that can it be argued that, for example, Porterhouse beers are more craft than the ones sold in bull and castle because they are brewed on premises etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

Just out of curiosity, is there any specific definition of "craft"? Does it mean small production, or does it mean made without chemicals, or does it mean tastes good to me, or does it mean anything that is not commonly available or does it mean not made by Diagio?

I think I can say with relative confidence that the scrumpy that the Somerset farmers sell in 3l jugs for a fiver outside Glastonbury are probably "craft" under any definition you care you imagine (save if "craft" excludes illegally produced death sauce with bits of pork scratchings in it), but other than that can it be argued that, for example, Porterhouse beers are more craft than the ones sold in bull and castle because they are brewed on premises etc?

i tend to regard craft beer as beer brewed in a microbrewery. Microbreweries tend to be called craft breweries too so that's my take on it. Porterhouse beers arent brewed in their bars if thats what you meant

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

i tend to regard craft beer as beer brewed in a microbrewery. Microbreweries tend to be called craft breweries too so that's my take on it. Porterhouse beers arent brewed in their bars if thats what you meant

They used to be, but I stand corrected.

Just out of curiosity, is there any specific definition of "craft"?
    Not universally. The general principle is that the production is overseen by a human who has put a recipe together and then brewed it. Non-craft breweries make vast batches that require hi-tech equipment to control and take every step possible to cut costs. Craft breweries don't cut these corners, among other reasons, because they can't afford to.

The distinction is very easy in Ireland: there's a massive gulf in the scale and technologies used by the microbreweries that qualify under the Finance Act 2006 and those that don't. This same distinction separates those that are Irish owned and operated, and those that are not.
    or does it mean tastes good to me,
    There are plenty of awful beers made by craft breweries; there are plenty of great beers made in factories by the macros.
    can it be argued that, for example, Porterhouse beers are more craft than the ones sold in bull and castle because they are brewed on premises etc?
    No, I don't think you can say that a big micro like The Porterhouse or Carlow is somehow "less craft" than the tiny operations like Bay Brewery or Beoir Chorca Duibhne. In both cases there are real live people (Peter, Liam, John and Paul, respectively) who are in charge of designing and brewing every batch of beer.

The distinction of what makes craft beer is harder once you get outside Ireland. The like of Sierra Nevada and Brooklyn started out as micros but are now huge operations, though still have brewers calling the shots rather than accountants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jspruit

Irish beer bottles at L. Mulligan. Grocer Pub in Stoneybatter

4815987441_fe951901c8_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Tried this place out Friday, was a bit disapointed.

As my eyes lit up looking the menu of beers on "draught" it turned out they were all bottles :mad::mad:.

Then they "ran out" of one of the beers I was drinking.

The bar man were ok but I was expecting them to know more about the beer, reccomend beers etc etc, polite enough.

I liked the fact I couldn't see any tv's and the music was at a very accpeatbale level so you could chat without raising your voice.

I didn't try the food, a couple beside us had dinner and said it was fantastic.

A little pricey at 17e and the porition sizes looked very small.

I'd probably stop in for a bottle if I was passing but I don't think I would go out of my way to go here.

the_syco wrote: »
    Do they have any ciders?
    There's a Spanish cider on the menu now which I'm dying to try but haven't yet.

Advertisement