Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin's new craft beer spot opens today, 1st of July 2010

Options
  • 01-07-2010 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Even as we speak a bunch of busy little beer elves are putting the finishing touches to the refurbishment of the venerable old pub that is L .Mulligan Grocer, of Stoneybatter.

It's new incarnation as Dublin's latest Gastropub and craft beer emporium begins today, the 1st of July 2010, at 4pm.

There will be Galway Hooker, Ór, beers from Hilden, Whitewater, Carlow, White Gypsy, as well as quality imports on tap. A selection of bottles will also be available, in case you don't like any of the draught beers and I am reliably informed that there is also one of the best selections of whiskeys in the city.

I will be along this evening and I may even have a beer. Why don't you join me?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Excellent - only down the road! I'll have to pop my head in later

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

the finishing touches
    Hmm, from what I've heard there may be a few further touches still to go after today. But the important thing is that the beer's pouring. I'll be in later as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

next time I'm in Dublin I'm so there.
    Great to hear of places like this opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Even as we speak a bunch of busy little beer elves are putting the finishing touches to the refurbishment of the venerable old pub that is L .Mulligan Grocer, of Stoneybatter.

It's new incarnation as Dublin's latest Gastropub and craft beer emporium begins today, the 1st of July 2010, at 4pm.

There will be Galway Hooker, Ór, beers from Hilden, Whitewater, Carlow, White Gypsy, as well as quality imports on tap. A selection of bottles will also be available, in case you don't like any of the draught beers and I am reliably informed that there is also one of the best selections of whiskeys in the city.

I will be along this evening and I may even have a beer. Why don't you join me?

Good news though the word "Gastro" in front of pub makes me shudder a little in case it ends up full of crusties, interior designer wannabes and food snobs:)

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Good news though the word "Gastro" in front of pub makes me shudder a little in case it ends up full of crusties, interior designer wannabes and food snobs:)
    Horrible word. What I like least about it is the use to mean "restaurant that serves beer".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Thats great to hear.

I'll have to pop in for a few drinks next time I'm near it. :)

Will definately pay a visit if I'm ever up in the big smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

BeerNut wrote: »
    Horrible word. What I like least about it is the use to mean "restaurant that serves beer".

Glad there is two of us:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Great news, now we only need to persuade the other 95% of Dublin pubs to sell proper beer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

And don't forget that they plan to have a decent selection of Distilled beer too .... i.e. Whiskey ;) ... fair play guys and good luck with the venture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Will go in on Sunday evening for a few. Delighted with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

might pop in over the weekend check the place out!!

And don't forget that they plan to have a decent selection of Distilled beer too .... i.e. Whiskey ;)
    They have a hell of a selection. I lost my Belgian whisky virginity this evening.

Maybe a good place for a night of beer tasting for the crew in here ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

They have a hell of a selection. I lost my Belgian whisky virginity this evening.

What was the staff like? good atmosphere etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

Looks good! Will try and pay a visit the next time I'm up in Dublin.

What's the easiest way to get there?

ntlbell wrote: »
    What was the staff like?
    All very enthusiastic, as you might expect on a first night.
    ntlbell wrote: »
    good atmosphere etc?
    Great atmos: music well below conversation level and no telly.
    What's the easiest way to get there?
    It's a short walk from Smithfield Luas, if that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Heading into town this evening to pay a visit to this place. What Hilden beer have they on tap? Had Scullion's on cask last year during the porterhouse beer festival and really enjoyed it.

Belfast Blonde and Molly's Chocolate Stout on keg. There are casks of Headless Dog, but I don't think the engine has been installed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

It's a short walk from Smithfield Luas, if that helps.

It sure does, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do they have any ciders?

Paid a visit last night and was delighted I did.
    Had a great conversation with the staff and its good that they listen to what I liked and advised me on something to try.

Had Galway Hooker and Ór as my 1st 2 drinks and then was advised to try Prohibition which was excellent imho. I had heard of it but I would put it up beside Sierra Nevada as a great IPA.

So after tasting these was ready to leave and the better half said we should have 1 more and we went with Big Daddy IPA and was pleasantly surprised again with this great tasting beer.

Will go again as there is a great choice of beers in here and staff were great.

the_syco wrote: »
    Do they have any ciders?
    Weston's Organic in bottles and Bulmer's on draught (manager's rationale: "it's ****e, but at least it's Irish"). Could be worth putting in a request for Double L, now that I think of it.

Weston's Organic in bottles and Bulmer's on draught (manager's rationale: "it's ****e, but at least it's Irish"). Could be worth putting in a request for Double L, now that I think of it.
    So, one cider? Meh. May still visit, to see how it is. Not going to try Magners, as I know I dislike it.

So, one cider?
    No: two.

No: two.
    Well, yeah, but only one craft cider. Magners isn't craft cider as such.

Magners isn't craft cider as such.
    I'm not sure Weston's is either.

I'm not sure Weston's is either.
    :(

Right, no reason to go then :/

Right, no reason to go then :/
    So are there actual pubs in Ireland which meet your need for craft cider?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

Franciscan Well in Cork do a cider. Was down there recently and noticed the tap...just before the barmaid told us that they weren't open yet, so no idea what its like.

Advertisement