Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A3 1.8T Quattro - Opinions

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭tossy

r3nu4l wrote: »
    No comparison??

1.8T
    1.8 T quattro Sport 3d (6) 7.3 s 140 mph 177 bhp

2.0TDI
    2.0 TDI quattro Sport 3d 7.8 s 138 mph 168 bhp

Maybe he's just ignorant of the diesel performance like a lot of people here seem to be? See above. Neither car is a hot-hatch tbh.

Typical Diesel fan boy reply :D 0-60 times mean nothing in the real world,give me a free reving petrol engine over a TDI with a power band as wide as a mouses micky any time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Confab wrote: »
    OP, do a lot of research about the VAG 1.8T. It's troublesome if it's been in any way abused. Oil changes are really needed more often than the manufacturer's specs as it has crankcase ventilation issues which result in the oil sludging up and destroying the turbo. If you do buy one I'd suggest replacing all the crankcase ventilation hoses etc - there's loads about it online - and just as importantly, drop the sump and clean it thoroughly. Oh, and change the oil and filter while you're at it!

It's usually the oil pickup pipe in the sump that gets blocked, this can lead to oil starvation. More of a problem in the longitudinally mounted engines such as A4's and so on. These have a smaller sump and lower oil capacity.

Pic of a clogged pickup, this is from an engine I have away being rebuilt.
    DSC03682.jpg

Oil change with good oil every 6k miles will stop this, my other 1.8t has nearly 70k miles on it and zero oil sludge in the engine. I've put 50k on it and changed the oil every 6k.

Oh and whtever 1.8t you buy, get it remapped :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

kceire wrote: »
    is the thread titled Audi A3 TDi Opinions????????????????

if the op wanted a diesel, he would of asked :mad:

Ohhh touchy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Magown3

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I've learned a few things from this:

1. Full service history is a must with regular oil changes (Thanks to Neilw for the very helpful post.)

2. I'm somehow ignorant of diesel performance because I won't fork out 20k+ on a little A3!!! :rolleyes: Seriously, If I was spending that sort of money, I'd be going for something a lot bigger and nicer than an A3. Oh, and my last car was a diesel A4 so :p Guess I ain't so ignorant afterall :pac:

3. The S3 will probably be a better option. They're easier to come by in Ireland but they're also quite expensive against the 1.8T Quattro. I'll keep my eye out for both to be honest. Whichever comes up first at the right price and spec I'll go for.

Thanks again. I'll reply back when I make the plunge.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Magown3 wrote: »
    3. The S3 will probably be a better option. They're easier to come by in Ireland but they're also quite expensive against the 1.8T Quattro. I'll keep my eye out for both to be honest. Whichever comes up first at the right price and spec I'll go for.

Thanks again. I'll reply back when I make the plunge.

tbh, i think you'll find theres alot less S3's for sale in this country, and there not worth importing because of the VRT price.

please keep us informed on what you decide on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

tossy wrote: »
    Typical Diesel fan boy reply :D 0-60 times mean nothing in the real world,give me a free reving petrol engine over a TDI with a power band as wide as a mouses micky any time :D

None of which negates the fact that the 1.8T is NOT a 'performance car' or a 'hot-hatch' as some of the typical petrol fanboys here have claimed ;) It's not even a 'reasonably hot hatch' as you yourself claimed it was :)

Glad to see that the OP has had the sense to realise to avoid this one like the plague if he wants a hot-hatch, my job here is done. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

None of which negates the fact that the 1.8T is NOT a 'performance car' or a 'hot-hatch' as some of the typical petrol fanboys here have claimed ;) It's not even a 'reasonably hot hatch' as you yourself claimed it was :)

Glad to see that the OP has had the sense to realise to avoid this one like the plague if he wants a hot-hatch, my job here is done. :)

god forbid when 180bhp in a hatch back car is not considered a reasonably hot hatch :confused:

Oh, and my last car was a diesel A4 so :p Guess I ain't so ignorant afterall :pac:

What engine? A 1.9 TDI A4 gives piss-poor performance tbh.
    kceire wrote:
    god forbid when 180bhp in a hatch back car is not considered a reasonably hot hatch
    Also, seriously 180 bhp? Hot? In a car as heavy as an A3 with quattro mechanics? Hot? Seriously? :confused: Not hot imo but I guess this wouldn't be a discussion board if we all agreed with one another :)

Golf GTI 197 bhp - Hot
    Golf GTI 226 bhp - Hot
    Focus ST 225 bhp - Hot
    VW Polo GTI 178 bhp is Hot because it's such a small, light car, no quattro to weigh it down further either.

Then there's the Clio172 (172-182 bhp), again, much smaller and lighter so Hot.

A myriad of others are Hot hatches imo but not the 1.8T but I guess we're all different in our assessments and you're as entitled to your opinion as I am. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Which version of the Golf GTI has 226bhp?

draffodx wrote: »

Google is your friend, unless you're in China I suppose :)
    See here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Google is your friend, unless you're in China I suppose :)
    See here :)

Stuck in work, cant be googling for 226 bhp Golfs :D, thanks will have a look later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

Also, seriously 180 bhp? Hot? In a car as heavy as an A3 with quattro mechanics? Hot? Seriously? :confused: Not hot imo but I guess this wouldn't be a discussion board if we all agreed with one another :)

Golf GTI 197 bhp - Hot
    Golf GTI 226 bhp - Hot
    Focus ST 225 bhp - Hot
    VW Polo GTI 178 bhp is Hot because it's such a small, light car, no quattro to weigh it down further either.

Then there's the Clio172 (172-182 bhp), again, much smaller and lighter so Hot.

A myriad of others are Hot hatches imo but not the 1.8T but I guess we're all different in our assessments and you're as entitled to your opinion as I am. :)

haha:D

Of course its a hot hatch, it doesnt weigh that much more than Golf gti, Focus etc.Simple remap and it will be well over 200bhp and with AWD to put the power down it will terrify alot of the real hot hatches like the amazing Gti's, Type R's, Clio's etc.

How is that not a hot hatch?

Squall19 wrote: »
    haha:D

Of course its a hot hatch, it doesnt weigh that much more than Golf gti, Focus etc.Simple remap and it will be well over 200bhp and with AWD to put the power down it will terrify alot of the real hot hatches like the amazing Gti's, Type R's, Clio's etc.

How is that not a hot hatch?

I wasn't talking about a remap, I was talking about it as it is...
    Of course, with a remap, it'll be a different machine altogether, THEN we enter yummy hot-hatchedness :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭omega man

draffodx wrote: »

Wasnt that just a special edition (30 years) ? The mk6 GTI has 210 i think. Personally i would consider an A3 1.8T with 180bhp and 4wd to be a hot hatch for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭tossy

:D

xkcd22.jpg

thislookshoped.jpg

Golf GTI 197 bhp - Hot

I reckon you're talkin thru your ass there mate!

How can the Golf GTI with a whole 17BHP more and 23kg's extra weight be considered hot and Audi not even considered to be close?? :confused:

Golf GTI:
    0-60 mph 7.0 s
    Power Output 197 bhp
    Top Speed 146 mph

Audi A3 1.8T:
    0-60 mph 7.3 s
    Power Output 177 bhp
    Top Speed 140 mph

WOW, a MASSIVE 0.3 seconds difference 0-60 and 6mph difference in top speed.... A world of difference if you ask me............... NOT

And I got the A4 TDi coz it gave good mpg, not to race people from the lights all the time!

I reckon you're talkin thru your ass there mate!

How can the Golf GTI with a whole 17BHP more and 23kg's extra weight be considered hot and Audi not even considered to be close?? :confused:

Golf GTI:
    0-60 mph 7.0 s
    Power Output 197 bhp
    Top Speed 146 mph

Audi A3 1.8T:
    0-60 mph 7.3 s
    Power Output 177 bhp
    Top Speed 140 mph

WOW, a MASSIVE 0.3 seconds difference 0-60 and 6mph difference in top speed.... A world of difference if you ask me............... NOT
    :confused: I thought we had established that the 0-60 was a useless figure? Because by the 0-60 logic my TDI is a hot-hatch...and it's not, trust me :) It has power, it has poke, it'll plough (tractor pun there :D) many cars off the road but it's no hot-hatch.

Anyhow, it's all subjective and I agree that the S3 would definitely be the better buy, by far, that's all I've been trying to point out and drive home here :)

I just spotted this one on Donedeal. Nicely priced but god, my eyes hurt!!!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1432175

Just an update on this. I brought this home from the UK last week. It's a diesel quattro which is a bit of a compromise. I drove a TT 1.8T quattro and I have to say, I was disappointed with the power in the engine so I decided to go sensible and go for a TDi instead. I like it so far. :D

!B0F!UBQEGk~$(KGrHqF,!icEw5rbJUU9BMYwKEmjY!~~_12.JPG

!B0F!SH!B2k~$(KGrHqJ,!hwEw5MiBBT0BMYwJ-)S4g~~_12.JPG

!B0F!VKwBGk~$(KGrHqR,!ioEw5G!hLf4BMYwKHvmSg~~_12.JPG

!B0F!PggB2k~$(KGrHqZ,!jgEw44nDg4tBMYwJ3G-7g~~_12.JPG

• Advertisement
Advertisement