Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A3 1.8T Quattro - Opinions

Options
  • 01-07-2010 8:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying one of these. They're 180bhp and so are a bit of a sleeper hot hatch as they look like a standard A3. Quattro should grip the road quite well also.

I'm looking for something a bit sporty that won't kill me on tax and that can get relatively decent mpg. Any other suggestions?

I know the 1.8T has problems with coils but how is the engine apart from this. What mpg are you getting from YOUR 1.8T?

I'm not gonna spend too much and I'm looking at something approx 8-10 years old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I had an A4 1.8T and got about 32mpg out of it in a mix of city and motorway driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Magown3 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm thinking of buying one of these. They're 180bhp and so are a bit of a sleeper hot hatch as they look like a standard A3. Quattro should grip the road quite well also.

I'm looking for something a bit sporty that won't kill me on tax and that can get relatively decent mpg. Any other suggestions?

I know the 1.8T has problems with coils but how is the engine apart from this. What mpg are you getting from YOUR 1.8T?

I'm not gonna spend too much and I'm looking at something approx 8-10 years old.

I have that in a Passat 1.8T Tiptronic.

I've replaced 2 coil packs in 6 years, so not a huge problem.

It will do up to 38MPG if you really really take it easy ( not above 55MPH )

Normal Driving no more than 30 - 31 MPG

Town driving / Start -stop driving 22 - 25 MPG

Foot to the floor as Low as 18 MPG

But overall a solid engine, will be keeping mine for another 18 Months anyway, I think?

I suspect with your quattro it may be even heavier on petrol than my Tiptronic?

Best of Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

I have a TT with the 1.8T and have not had one ounce of trouble with it. Great handling too...

I say buy it

One of the few cars I wouldn't buy unless it had a full service history, those engines need bang on time oil changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

RoverJames wrote: »
    One of the few cars I wouldn't buy unless it had a full service history, those engines need bang on time oil changes.

I'd also agree with this, mine has been serviced very regularly...

Good point Mr James

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Magown3

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    I have that in a Passat 1.8T Tiptronic.

I've replaced 2 coil packs in 6 years, so not a huge problem.

Out of interest, how much are the coil packs to replace when they have to be done?

Also, even with the extra weight of the quattro, would the A3 not be lighter than a Passat and therefore, a smidge better on the fuel??? :)

And, what do you guys think of this. The bidding hasn't started yet but it could be a bargain if picked up for 2k(ish). It's a good spec (Bose stereo, leather interior, electric seats)

Out of interest, how much are the coil packs to replace when they have to be done?

Also, even with the extra weight of the quattro, would the A3 not be lighter than a Passat and therefore, a smidge better on the fuel??? :)

And, what do you guys think of this. The bidding hasn't started yet but it could be a bargain if picked up for 2k(ish). It's a good spec (Bose stereo, leather interior, electric seats)

OUCH!! I've just checked the VRT on it and it's a whopping €1515!!!! Kinda puts a dampner on that

5 door :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I had a 180 TT quattro year 2000. Ran it from 06 to 08. It was pretty much faultless. It had about 75% history when buying it. I changed oil every 8k miles with good quality oil & a genuine filter & never had any engine trouble. They are known for having problems when oil is not kept as good as it should be so a good history of oil changes is important.
    The oil is the rear diff also requires changing at 40k miles. I ordered the oil canister for this from the local audi dealer & they knew nothing of the type of oil required & had NEVER had it in stock. When they eventually got it in for me, the service manager was nearby & said they never change that & was it because I had a leak that I needed the oil. This is scary because it was a 40k mile service item in my service book & im sure most quattro audis. 30 mpg from my TT at best

RoverJames wrote: »
    5 door :(

I'd rather go for a better spec car that happened to be in 5 door than a poorer spec in 3 door.

In fact, 5 door suits better with passengers and luggage etc. And the A3 doesn't have much of a difference between the 3 and 5 door looks-wise ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭omega man

Hi,

I didnt think audi did that engine in the A3? Was it not only the 150 version? I know the likes of the GTI (red i), Leon Cupra/FR , Octavia vRS and the TT used the 180 version at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I thought the original A3 1.8T was 150bhp and the S3 was 180bhp?

OP did you check out the Octavia vRS, the original vRS has the 180bhp version of that engine but they are going pretty cheap here now. VRT on either of these cars is crazy under the new Co2 system.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I thought the original A3 1.8T was 150bhp and the S3 was 180bhp?

OP did you check out the Octavia vRS, the original vRS has the 180bhp version of that engine but they are going pretty cheap here now. VRT on either of these cars is crazy under the new Co2 system.

S3 was the 1.8T 225bhp variant as in the Cupra R and TT. Pretty sure the A3 1.8T is only 150bhp. Also +1 on the vRS mk1 but think the Leon Cupra/FR mk1 is better again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

OP just get an S3. Running costs won't be that much more, apart from possible insurance.

Residual values will be much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

omega man wrote: »
    S3 was the 1.8T 225bhp variant as in the Cupra R and TT. Pretty sure the A3 1.8T is only 150bhp. Also +1 on the vRS mk1 but think the Leon Cupra/FR mk1 is better again.

I thought the S3 came in 180bhp and 210 bhp versions?

I've done my research lads. There was a 150bhp FWD version 1.8T, and there's a Quattro 1.8T 180bhp. Check here for variants.

An S3 had crossed my mind but are more expensive to purchase in the first place. Insurance would probably be higher also. I just did a quick search and they're roughly double the price (on donedeal) of the 1.8T quattro.

draffodx wrote: »

You could be right there. I thought it was the same engine as the Leon Cupra R mk1 225 version. I know the cupra R was 210 on launch so perhaps the S3 was too.

I've done my research lads. There was a 150bhp FWD version 1.8T, and there's a Quattro 1.8T 180bhp. Check here for variants.

An S3 had crossed my mind but are more expensive to purchase in the first place. Insurance would probably be higher also. I just did a quick search and they're roughly double the price (on donedeal) of the 1.8T quattro.

Right you were about the 180 version. Parkers list here:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/summary.aspx?model=44

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Was in around €120 - €150 incl labour from memory.

Mine has a 10k mile service indicator, so I've never needed to do it any sooner, without any trouble.

It has plenty of warning indicators for low oil, brake pads, water etc so dont worry it's nearly impossible to damage them. Most of those indicators activate once something reaches half life. Can be a little annoying but you will thank them at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yeah I'll get slated for this but anyway...why not consider the 2.0 TDI (170 bhp) Sport Quattro?

I drive one and you'll pay less tax on it for a start due to lower emissions (assuming Ireland is the same as the UK in that respect???) and you're not losing that much in performance tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Yeah I'll get slated for this but anyway...why not consider the 2.0 TDI (170 bhp) Sport Quattro?

I drive one and you'll pay less tax on it for a start due to lower emissions (assuming Ireland is the same as the UK in that respect???) and you're not losing that much in performance tbh.

No comparison between a 1.8T 180bhp petrol engine and a 170bhp diesel.

OP if insurance permits just buy an S3.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

draffodx wrote: »

the S3 from 99 to 01 was 210bhp.
    its the same engine as the 225 TT but detuned so it wouldnt compete against the TT bu Audi. in 2001 audi put the full fat 225 engine into the S3.

when remapped the 210 and the 225 engine are upped to the same figure as they have the same limits etc etc
    ie. if you remap a 210bhp S3 and a 225bhp S3 they will both have an afterwards figure of in and around 250-260bhp give or take depending on engine condition and history etc.
    r3nu4l wrote: »

OP is looking for a bit of a performance car, not a mile cruncher. also the OP would have to buy an 08 TDi in order to get the cheaper motor tax, otherwise the A3 1.8T is cheaper to tax.

OP, buy an S3, heres some pics of mine to get you in the mood :)

CIMG0046.jpg

CIMG0047.jpg

CIMG0003-4.jpg

CIMG0006-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

kceire wrote: »
    the S3 from 99 to 01 was 210bhp.
    its the same engine as the 225 TT but detuned so it wouldnt compete against the TT bu Audi. in 2001 audi put the full fat 225 engine into the S3.

when remapped the 210 and the 225 engine are upped to the same figure as they have the same limits etc etc

OP is looking for a bit of a performance car, not a mile cruncher. also the OP would have to buy an 08 TDi in order to get the cheaper motor tax, otherwise the A3 1.8T is cheaper to tax.

OP, buy an S3, heres some pics of mine to get you in the mood :)

Looks lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭guano_jim

you wont go wrong with the 2.0 quattro tdi sport. its *all* about the torque. plus u get 55mpg no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

the 170 tdi didnt come in that shape a3!

guano_jim wrote: »
    you wont go wrong with the 2.0 quattro tdi sport. its *all* about the torque. plus u get 55mpg no problem

is the thread titled Audi A3 TDi Opinions????????????????

if the op wanted a diesel, he would of asked :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP, do a lot of research about the VAG 1.8T. It's troublesome if it's been in any way abused. Oil changes are really needed more often than the manufacturer's specs as it has crankcase ventilation issues which result in the oil sludging up and destroying the turbo. If you do buy one I'd suggest replacing all the crankcase ventilation hoses etc - there's loads about it online - and just as importantly, drop the sump and clean it thoroughly. Oh, and change the oil and filter while you're at it!

Confab wrote: »
    it has crankcase ventilation issues which result in the oil sludging up and destroying the turbo. If you do buy one I'd suggest replacing all the crankcase ventilation hoses etc

ive neber heard much about these problems, must look into it more!
    more commonly known on the 150bhp E46 320d but never heard about them in the 1.8T, does the problem occur in the S3?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

guano_jim wrote: »

If you are in the livestock business its all about the torque alright :D

Seriously though the OP is asking opinions on a 1.8T petrol reasonably hot hatch not a diesel mile muncher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

OP if you really are looking for a hot hatch then this car is to be avoided...it's not a hot hatch...
    tossy wrote: »
    No comparison between a 1.8T 180bhp petrol engine and a 170bhp diesel.

OP if insurance permits just buy an S3.
    Thanks for the info on the tax :) See below for my response to the 'performance' car bit.
    tossy wrote: »
    If you are in the livestock business its all about the torque alright :D

Seriously though the OP is asking opinions on a 1.8T petrol reasonably hot hatch not a diesel mile muncher.

No comparison??

1.8T
    1.8 T quattro Sport 3d (6) 7.3 s 140 mph 177 bhp

2.0TDI
    2.0 TDI quattro Sport 3d 7.8 s 138 mph 168 bhp

Seems pretty comparable to me.
    Wow, saving 0.5 seconds on the very important 0-60... :rolleyes: What a hot-hatch!! :rolleyes:
    sean1141 wrote: »
    the 170 tdi didnt come in that shape a3!
    Ah didn't realise he was going that old :) Thanks
    is the thread titled Audi A3 TDi Opinions????????????????

if the op wanted a diesel, he would of asked :mad:
    Maybe he's just ignorant of the diesel performance like a lot of people here seem to be? See above. Neither car is a hot-hatch tbh.

Advertisement