Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pyrite

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭whacker4fun

hi there i had my home tested samples taken result came bac worded indicates presence of pyrite but futher testin needs to be done in near future argghhh but yet they are still tryin to say no confirmation on pyrite (confused) wht other testin has to be done and how long does it take to complete.. these crack are on goin for 3yrs+ always told they were settlin crack bullsh*t do walls/ceilins doorframes and windows etc if they are cracked have to come down any help/info u can give would be gr8 stressed to bits is not the word my head is like my home crackin up

Sorry for the very very late response.
    Okay that is very vague, the further tests should have been straight away. See what happens is you can test a sample under the floor slab say in your kitchen, and it can come back with very small amounts, but you can test another sample taken a few metres away say in your hallway and that can be conclusive with a high sulphur content...
    Testing generally takes 6-8weeks as its sent to laboratories in the UK.
    If the samples are conclusive to say a high sulphur level which lead to pyrites, then effectively you must move house to have the appropriate remedial works done. Yes all the door frames will have to come out, what happens is, depending on the amount of damage done, the ground floor slab is dug up from inside the house, the contaminated fill is completely removed, new fill material put down and the floor slab reinstated.
    Then the cosmetic remedial works take place, cracks/walls plastered, doors fixed, ceilings re plaster etc, this depends on the extent of the damage and the amount of cash the builder has!

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

(Long read... but essentially we need a great structural Engineer who will help us past the final hurdles with Homebond. We have all the reports/probe tests/and further evidence of structural change)

I am a home owner in an estate where 8 houses claimed through Homebond, structural issues that needed to be addressed.
    To say that each house had to go through the most nightmarish experience at the hands of (one person in) Homebond is the understatement of "ever".
    7 houses eventually had the remedial ground works completed. We are house number 8.
    We happened to have milder evidence (cracks ...etc.) so it's a tougher battle with Homebond than ever for us :mad:

The order of events:

1. JUL '08: Visual Survey carried out by "Engineering Firm X" as per Homebond request. That Visual Survey suggests

"...maybe as a result of ground floor slab heaving..."
    "...may be due to defective stone infill under ground floor slab expanding..."

2. AUG '08 a more significant survey was carried out by "Engineering Firm Y" under the supervision of "Firm X" (sanctioned by Homebond). This involved probes around the perimeter of the house. One probe inside.

3. NOV '08, while waiting for this detailed report we wrote to Homebond and included photos of new significant cracks.

4. JAN '09 (while still waiting on the report) we wrote to Homebond and included evidence of even more new cracks.

5. May '09 we eventually received the detailed report. Incredibly Homebond does not propose to carry out any remedial works, even though at this stage the other 7 houses have remedial works complete or at least agreed upon. The very detailed & technical report outlines a number of things such as:

* 11 deep probes (all outside the perimeter of the house)
    * 1 inside probe (much less deep)
    * 2 window samples (outside)
    * Material type and colours at various depths
    * Limestone / Mudstone references and measurements
    * Presence of Pyrite (and how much): borderline 1%
    * Framboidal Pyrite: YES
    * Difference between total sulphur and % sulphur in sulphate: 0.46% (Risk factor noted as needing to be >0.5%)
    * Evidence for oxidization of pyrite: YES
    * Is the fill laminated: YES
    * Sulphate Crystal Formation: YES

From my layman's reading of this report we seem to be borderline.
    However, based on the continuing cracks and bulges getting worse (unfortunately oh so very slowly) Homebond are treating us as parasites.

The final conclusion of this big report is to carry out another visual survey in the future to re-assess the defects.

6. AUG '10, We've waited a reasonable amount of time for a re-assessment. We send in to Homebond even more evidence.

7. SEP '10, Homebond visit and literally be-little the changes (verbally), and even after dozens of daily phonecalls asking for the next steps we are completely ignored. Throughout this we are sending solicitors letters to ask to keep things moving (to no avail)

6. TODAY (JAN '11): Compared to the original report dated JUL '08 we can show many new cracks & bulges that have increased in width & length.

You may ask by now where is our own Engineer in all this. Unfortunately he was not good, and we realised too late that he was doing nothing useful for us.

So... if you've got this far, what we really need now is a "Great" Engineer to represent us. Come take a look. Read the original reports. Re-assess & measure the changes since that report and help represent us. I have measured with a simple school-child's ruler and some 0.25mm cracks are reading 2mm to me, but Homebond won't entertain my measurements.

Can you recommend a tough talking structural Engineer, especially one with knowledge/experience in this area? A precedent (for what it's worth) has been set in our estate with 7 of the 8 claims being dealt with and fixed. We need that final push and can only get it from an Engineer who can support us.

If so please PM me as soon as you can.
    All other public advice welcome too.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 pyrite point

Oh god poor you.. Well we went with moylans who have been great for us.... 6 months since we had test we will prob be moving out in next 6 weeks for remidial works!!! Fast movers!!! However that was with premier as our insurers where you living? God feel bad for you what a nitemare. Xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pyriteworry

Sorry for the very very late response.
    Okay that is very vague, the further tests should have been straight away. See what happens is you can test a sample under the floor slab say in your kitchen, and it can come back with very small amounts, but you can test another sample taken a few metres away say in your hallway and that can be conclusive with a high sulphur content...
    Testing generally takes 6-8weeks as its sent to laboratories in the UK.
    If the samples are conclusive to say a high sulphur level which lead to pyrites, then effectively you must move house to have the appropriate remedial works done. Yes all the door frames will have to come out, what happens is, depending on the amount of damage done, the ground floor slab is dug up from inside the house, the contaminated fill is completely removed, new fill material put down and the floor slab reinstated.
    Then the cosmetic remedial works take place, cracks/walls plastered, doors fixed, ceilings re plaster etc, this depends on the extent of the damage and the amount of cash the builder has!

ok thks for reply goin into the 6 month of waitin for further testin to be done nothin happenin lots more cracks big one goin rite cross ceilin.. frames of doors are startin to split too and still nothing bein done in every room i have cracks.. at my wits end at this stage as ov 3yrs now this goin on and i can put up wit the cracks much longer i am seriously worried abt one in ceilin

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

Oh god poor you.. Well we went with moylans who have been great for us.... 6 months since we had test we will prob be moving out in next 6 weeks for remidial works!!! Fast movers!!! However that was with premier as our insurers where you living? God feel bad for you what a nitemare. Xxx

Thanks pyrite point

Is it Moylan's Consulting Engineers on Fenian Street, Dublin 2?
    Would you PM me a specific contact that you would recommend, somebody you found particularly helpful? Really really need an agressive Engineer who will be present for dealings wth Homebond.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 BDSC1964

DaDa wrote: »
    Thanks pyrite point

Is it Moylan's Consulting Engineers on Fenian Street, Dublin 2?
    Would you PM me a specific contact that you would recommend, somebody you found particularly helpful? Really really need an agressive Engineer who will be present for dealings wth Homebond.

Thanks.

Dada I'm sorry to hear of your issues. I know quite a lot about what you are going through. I would advise you get a sharp solictior who will stamp an authority on this and start writing to Homebond. Homebond will then have to defend their postion and enter into dialogue, this will bring out their defense and once you have this it can be attacked legally or from an engineering point. I know of numerous cases like yours where the insurance company has gone to ground for several years.
    The problem for the engineer is he has to stick to fact and I know that in other cases even though pyrite was present it was difficult to conclusively prove it caused the cracking. If you google 'pyrite' you will find several very good engineers but they must be allied with a sharp solicitor. It might be worth your while finding out who preprented the homeowners in the Lagan/Menolly case and taking it from there.
    Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pyritehell

Hi all,
    We looking for some advice please. We just recently discovered there has been houses confirmed in our estate with Pyrite. We have wrote to Homebond and have to wait 10-15 days before they will deal with us. I am outraged they wont test our house as we have many cracks and floor is visibly risen in kitchen. Should we wait to get tested as we need our neighbours get tested also as we're semi detached. Or would it be wiser to go ahead and get an engineer in to do the core test??
    Could we pass on the fee to Homebond by any chance?
    Any recommendations as how we should proceed?
    We're seriously worried about our house as in nearly 7 years and have clacks upstairs also.:mad::mad::mad:
    Also any recommendations of a sharp solicitor would be great too - Need get in touch with one right now as dont feel safe in house and need it to get fixed. LeVelle & Coman - Has anybody any delaings with these? Have heard Arthur Cox very expensive....
    We at our wits end - Cant sleep with worry
    Please help
    Thanks

Pyritehell
    If you wish to PM me I can give you names etc.

ok thks for reply goin into the 6 month of waitin for further testin to be done nothin happenin lots more cracks big one goin rite cross ceilin.. frames of doors are startin to split too and still nothing bein done in every room i have cracks.. at my wits end at this stage as ov 3yrs now this goin on and i can put up wit the cracks much longer i am seriously worried abt one in ceilin

okay, from reading what you have noted, my opinion would be that it is definitely pyrites.
    Someone just mentioned it here, you need a solicitor to push your case along and a structural engineer.

[qoute
    * Presence of Pyrite (and how much): borderline 1%
    * Framboidal Pyrite: YES
    * Difference between total sulphur and % sulphur in sulphate: 0.46% (Risk factor noted as needing to be >0.5%)
    * Evidence for oxidization of pyrite: YES
    * Is the fill laminated: YES
    * Sulphate Crystal Formation: YES

From my layman's reading of this report we seem to be borderline.
    However, based on the continuing cracks and bulges getting worse (unfortunately oh so very slowly) Homebond are treating us as parasites.
    QUOTE]

What I am reading there is sufficient proof of pyrite, your not borderline. As I mentioned here previously, total sulphur content of 0.1% is enough to assume significant pyrite content to cause heave.
    You MUST get a solicitor involoved with and engineer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mayfly757

Hi, we have just been confirmed with pyrite, in fact the experts said they had never seen such a high level! 6%!, my question is as its very agressive how soon would we have to have the repair works done? we are seeing alot of heaving going on inside house, anyone know what such high levels means for us?

It's difficult to determine how bad things will get and how quickly it will deteriorate. 1% is the threshold when it comes to determining whether pyrite is causing the damage so these results are six times higher. If you are making a claim on your insurance you will have to wait till this is paid out. Usually when agreement is reached with their Engineer it's about eight weeks. But I believe Premier Guarantee have their own Engineers who carry out the works so chase them they are very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AJPA

Hi all - Just reading some of your posts re pyrite and i am currently waiting for results back - Told to wait 6- 8 weeks but now into week 11. Its affordable housing 50/50 from DCC. They are very slow to respond to emails or phone calls and in some cases no responses. I fear the cost of a solicitor but its probably my only option as the statute of limitations expires next year and can only be halted thru legal proceedings. The house is in bits and we dont know yet if it is Pyrite. Either way someone has to be held responsible. If it is Pyrite do I have the right to be re-housed and contract transferred. Probably never sell the house in the future so i should be making my Financial decisions now. Cut my losses. The seller has more rights than the buyer. I said i wud cease payments in the past and this got them moving. Continued payments but I cannot use that wild card again. They said they wud take me to court. If worse comes to worse i think i will take my chances and cease payments. Then face eviction / reposession. It wouldnt bother me if they took back the "kip". I would appreciate any info re solicitors that dont cost an arm and a leg as i dont think there are any "no win no fee" solicitors getting involved with these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mayfly757

hi there, there is an group called pyrite action group, facebook link is
    [URL="mhtml:{28FF816D-5659-4F2D-B65A-55AF97BDE7A8}mid://00000431/!x-usc:http://www.facebook.com/PyriteAction"]www.facebook.com/PyriteAction[/URL] , this is the group for all the pyrite affected houses who have nowhere to turn. A contact email is as follows Pyrite Action <pyriteaction@gmail.com> , they may be able to help you with lots of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

mayfly757 wrote: »
    hi there, there is an group called pyrite action group, facebook link is
    [URL="mhtml:{28FF816D-5659-4F2D-B65A-55AF97BDE7A8}mid://00000431/!x-usc:http://www.facebook.com/PyriteAction"]www.facebook.com/PyriteAction[/URL] , this is the group for all the pyrite affected houses who have nowhere to turn. A contact email is as follows Pyrite Action <pyriteaction@gmail.com> , they may be able to help you with lots of info.

I was just going to post this. It's a completely non political, voluntary organisation. The group presented to the Working Group set up to deal with Pyrite issue ( among others ) in the Houses of the Oireachtas today at 4pm, and should get a mention on the RTE 9 news this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 18 John7610

Can anyone recommend me a building contractor that can carry out all remedial works involved in a pyrite effected building??? thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

<Snip>

Please read the forum charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 John7610

Anyone had their house repaired, any idea of how much it would cost to just do the floors??1200 sq foot house?? Thanks.

John7610 wrote: »
    Anyone had their house repaired, any idea of how much it would cost to just do the floors??1200 sq foot house?? Thanks.

Our house is 1150sqft and it cost us €20000 for the floors and the associated removing and reinstalling of woodwork and kitchen and fireplace.

We were however told it should cost about €5000 less.

Total time for just that work was two weeks. But it takes longer to organise tiles tiler etc etc.

As a past consultant I know houses were costing about €30k minimum in 1010/2011. If a group of residents get together it might be about €20-€25k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

I think this is the best place for my question.

So, I am looking at a new build house, in a partially built estate, in which there are two builders, & some of the houses have had Pyrite issues :(

Homebond is as much use as a chocolate teapot; so what steps can a home buyer reasonable take to protect themselves against a structural issue like Pyrite, that can cost tens of thousands to correct, if it occurs ?

fishfoodie wrote: »

So, I am looking at a new build house, in a partially built estate, in which there are two builders, & some of the houses have had Pyrite issues :(

Homebond is as much use as a chocolate teapot; so what steps can a home buyer reasonable take to protect themselves against a structural issue like Pyrite, that can cost tens of thousands to correct, if it occurs ?

Assume the house HAS pyrite.

Ask for a core sample test to be done.

If they say ok at your expense, walk away.

If they have had a test done or agree to pay for one and the result is positive then either walk away as the estate and house is tainted and will always be hard to sell or ask for a massive reduction in the price of the house to cover the cost of repair approx €30000 for a 1200sqft house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pyriteworry

6 yrs on on still in same situation nothing but monitoring been done no meetings letters nothing my dublin city council hell hole is worse any advice as I'm gettin no where wit them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

Assume the house HAS pyrite.

Ask for a core sample test to be done.

If they say ok at your expense, walk away.

If they have had a test done or agree to pay for one and the result is positive then either walk away as the estate and house is tainted and will always be hard to sell or ask for a massive reduction in the price of the house to cover the cost of repair approx €30000 for a 1200sqft house.

Makes sense; would the core sample be taken by an Independent Engineer with Insurance ? i.e. someone with something to lose should they accidentally mix up their core samples.

A follow-up question would be, would this, certified, passing core sample be enough to satisfy a lending institution that they can offer a mortgage ?

Makes sense; would the core sample be taken by an Independent Engineer with Insurance ? i.e. someone with something to lose should they accidentally mix up their core samples.

A follow-up question would be, would this, certified, passing core sample be enough to satisfy a lending institution that they can offer a mortgage ?

The sampling costs a decent amount and there is lots to be done, its a cash cow at the moment so making mistakes would harm their business. They are independent yes.

Who knows there is nothing in law to force anyone to accept these certs. There is nothing in law about standardised certs either. You're still going to lose an arm and a leg on your house if you want to sell. For us we aren't selling so its worth a fortune in peace of mind.

(Sorry if anyone wants the name and number of the company that fixed our home PM me as naming them here got me a red card harshly as I was only trying to help, I am neither associated with them or gain from naming them. Sniping or deleting would have been fairer.)

Yes ask them to provide a certificate of wortheness kind of like an NCT to prove the house is find. Think about it they probably wont sell it without it. The lenders are now insisting on this for all new builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

How new is new? What stage is it at? Is it a plan or has it commenced? I would advise you to read up on the new Building standards and also, ask the builder to use Premier instead of Homebond as a reinsurer.

Any developer / builder that that has Pyrite issues from new builds now deserves to be machine gunned

• Registered Users Posts: 43 loadsofham

Hello

I am hoping someone might be able to answer my question, there is several houses not sold in the development I am living in and about 10 days ago I noticed that there was some builders / engineers going in and out of these houses. They were taking core samples from the foundations. I asked them why they were taking samples but they refused to answer my questions. The only conclusion I could come to was that the are testing for Pyrite.

I alerted some of my neighbors to this and a couple of days ago one of them managed to talk to some guys that here working on the development and they questioned them about the samples to which they were told that samples came back negative.

The only problem I have with this is that I believe that it takes longer than 7-10 days for tests results to be available, can anyone shed some light on this and confirm the time frame for testing and results are as I really don't believe what the developers are saying given their refusal to talk to me when I originaly asked them what was happening, and I feel they may just be fobbing the neighbor off

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 loadsofham

Thanks 4sticks for the link but do you have any idea how long it takes to establish the results of the samples taken

Advertisement