Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-Americanism in Ireland

Options
  • 27-06-2010 5:07am
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭


    Being Irish-American born in the US to Irish parents this is my point of view on the avid anti-American stance in Ireland.

    I find it quite funny and hilariously sad the severe Anti-American stance in Ireland. Some people I meet in Ireland have some sort of hatred towards the States. For what reason, I can't comprehend. It makes no sense at all the fact that a lot of Irish people seem to think it's okay to hate America.

    It makes no sense at all. Any Anti-American topic on here seems to go down well, but any topic regarding any any-British content seems to be a taboo subject for you guys.

    I can't get my head around this fact that you hate us more than you hate the British. We have been the most accepting country of Irish immigrants, we are the country who love the Irish, yet we're hated.

    We have never tried to colonize your country, obviously, yet the Anti-American bias holds stronger than the anti-British bias over here. That point is merely a comparison between ourselves and the British.

    Can somebody shed some light on this for me? Why are Americans hated over here?

    Any great reasons?


«13456717

Comments

  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers


    Osu wrote: »
    Being Irish-American born in the US to Irish parents this is my point of view on the avid anti-American stance in Ireland.

    I find it quite funny and hilariously sad the severe Anti-American stance in Ireland. Some people I meet in Ireland have some sort of hatred towards the States. For what reason, I can't comprehend. It makes no sense at all the fact that a lot of Irish people seem to think it's okay to hate America.

    It makes no sense at all. Any Anti-American topic on here seems to go down well, but any topic regarding any any-British content seems to be a taboo subject for you guys.

    I can't get my head around this fact that you hate us more than you hate the British. We have been the most accepting country of Irish immigrants, we are the country who love the Irish, yet we're hated.

    We have never tried to colonize your country, obviously, yet the Anti-American bias holds stronger than the anti-British bias over here. That point is merely a comparison between ourselves and the British.

    Can somebody shed some light on this for me? Why are Americans hated over here?

    Any great reasons?

    Coz you're American...


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King


    F1ngers wrote: »
    Coz you're American...

    And you're a 42 year old gamer... Anything else out of the obvious you would like to point out?

    Damn Yanks


  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭donfarrell


    I think its just because americans (well the ones I've come across) are amazingly stupid. One american asked me "whats it like being british?" another one was beside the dail and was pronouncing Taoiseach wrong and I corrected him and he said "no, I think im right". Idots really


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess


    It's Dubya and the notion that Americans are dumb just because a lot of dumb stuff is reported from there. But I haven't observed it to be as widespread here as you say, OP.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone


    I like america. I haven't met any Irish person in my life who has any real animosity towards americans or america. People can just be dicks on a forum.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone


    donfarrell wrote: »
    I think its just because americans (well the ones I've come across) are amazingly stupid. One american asked me "whats it like being british?" another one was beside the dail and was pronouncing Taoiseach wrong and I corrected him and he said "no, I think im right". Idots really

    well I was in america and a girl I was talking to asked me did they have indoor toilets in the houses in Ireland because she heard they didnt. Either she was taking the piss and an excellent wind up merchant or she was a moron. She was a little ride though, so I forgave her.

    But there's 250 million americans, there are bound to be a fair few dumbasses. Think of all the irish morons you've met, and there are only 4 million Irish. I'd say its about even on the idiot stakes.


  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Athlone_Bhoy


    I doubt bombing the **** out of other countries has anything to do with it :)
    bad2dabone wrote: »
    and there are only 4 million Irish. I'd say its about even on the idiot stakes.

    Is that in just America or Australia?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess


    I doubt bombing the **** out of other countries has anything to do with it :)
    Well it shouldn't in fairness, unless all Americans support the Iraq invasion, which all don't of course.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747


    I don't hate the yanks.

    But I don't trust people from the Russian region, though. Suspicious folk :pac:


  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭JaneLane


    Every country hates America.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone


    JaneLane wrote: »
    Every country hates America.

    so here you see my earlier point proved - there are just as many stupid people in Ireland as there are in america (per capita). We're only a few posts in and we've found our first one!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess


    JaneLane wrote: »
    Every country hates America.
    That's true. OP, stop discriminating against the Irish!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc


    I like the Americans, but I also like taking the piss out of the Americans.
    They're an easy target.:P


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess


    Here is an example of stupidity from America (not using it as proof that all Americans are stupid btw, just wanted to paste it):

    http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/infotech/internet/Facebook-picture-of-baby-with-bong-triggers-outrage-probe/articleshow/6096080.cms


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist


    The self-appointed "leader of the free world" always seems so hypersensitive about any form of criticism.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D


    Well I can only speak for myself but as a graduate of Trinity college I would have to say that any venom I have for North American English speakers comes purely from their stupidity and inability to walk at normal human pace.

    Ah i do miss hearing them coming out with hilarious things! :rolleyes:

    Saying that I'm not anti-U.S.A in any way, except all that stuff their government does to **** up other countries.

    I'm currently living in South America so well...try defending that one!

    Don't get me wrong i have lots of dear friends from the U.S and some of my favourite authors are from there too.

    but yeah...such an easy target.... maybe try stop exporting idiots in bun bags?


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,561 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE


    Maybe people don't like a country that goes around the rest of the world, doing whatever it wants with complete disregard for human life, all in the name of oil?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon


    Osu wrote: »
    Being Irish-American born in the US to Irish parents this is my point of view on the avid anti-American stance in Ireland.

    I find it quite funny and hilariously sad the severe Anti-American stance in Ireland. Some people I meet in Ireland have some sort of hatred towards the States. For what reason, I can't comprehend. It makes no sense at all the fact that a lot of Irish people seem to think it's okay to hate America.

    It makes no sense at all. Any Anti-American topic on here seems to go down well, but any topic regarding any any-British content seems to be a taboo subject for you guys.

    I can't get my head around this fact that you hate us more than you hate the British. We have been the most accepting country of Irish immigrants, we are the country who love the Irish, yet we're hated.

    We have never tried to colonize your country, obviously, yet the Anti-American bias holds stronger than the anti-British bias over here. That point is merely a comparison between ourselves and the British.

    Can somebody shed some light on this for me? Why are Americans hated over here?

    Any great reasons?

    I do not agree that the Irish have more resentment towards the American people than we have for the British. Just because you read it here on boards doesn't mean it's actually true. The United States has been very good to Ireland over the decades, mainly, as you well know yourself, because of the cultural and family ties. I suppose historically we cannot find huge reasons to hate the United States based on Irish-American relations (Apart from the maltreatment of the Irish because of their religious beliefs when they were integrating into American society during the 19th century).

    We do, however, have historical reasons to hate the British (700 years worth actually plus disagreement with Britain's policies in Northern Ireland). This seemingly hereditary hatred of the British (especially the English) will probably remain in the Irish psyche for the next hundred years or so but history can never really be denied I think.

    'Anti-Americanism' has only really developed in the last 15 years. I suppose the main reasons it developed are because a lot of Americans come across as ignorant and arrogant (thinking that they are always better than everyone else) and the foreign policy of the United State's government, especially under Bush. The invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan really did tarnish public opinion of the United States mainly because of opposition of the invasions (especially Iraq). This condemnation existed in many other parts of Europe, not just in Ireland. The United States also sees itself as 'leader of the free world' which really doesn't go down well in Europe and also the fact that they act as though they are a 'global police force'. I would go so far as saying that American foreign policy is almost like a modern form of imperialism, again another source of resentment.

    The arrogance and ignorance I mentioned exists and is quite obvious when talking to some Americans,to a large extent on the internet but sometimes in public too. A lot of Americans seem to be very assertive and too outspoken. When I'm on youtube and other international internet forums Americans seem to make preliminary assumptions that your views are in reference to the United States. For example, I was watching a documentary (not even a remotely about America) on youtube and I left a comment. Then someone replied to my comment and made reference to 'this country' instead of saying America, making a preliminary assumption that everyone watching the video was American (I knew the person was American because I read their profile).

    As I said Americans come across as quite ignorant but I would not call them stupid. I just think it is their presentation and accent that make them look and sound stupid but I do not think they're in any way lacking in intelligence in comparison to other nationalities. While British people might look smart and even sound smart with their accent, I would view them as having equal intelligence as the Americans, as these videos below might show;




  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon


    Well I can only speak for myself but as a graduate of Trinity college I would have to say that any venom I have for North American English speakers comes purely from their stupidity and inability to walk at normal human pace.

    ... as a graduate from Trinity college you probably wouldn't still be up to the mark as those Americans who graduated from Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Columbia, etc.. Remember Americans probably have some of the best third level educational faculties in the world and the fruits of these are very visible in American's contribution to the arts, sciences and engineering.


  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Athlone_Bhoy


    Dudess wrote: »
    Well it shouldn't in fairness, unless all Americans support the Iraq invasion, which all don't of course.

    Seriously Bush was president so how stupid do Americans have to be? You can always make a reason for the first time been elected but the second?

    There's a old saying in.... Oh never mind


  • Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits


    Some Irish people dislike Americans because they're idiots.

    There we go!

    USA, USA!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon


    Seriously Bush was president so how stupid do Americans have to be? You can always make a reason for the first time been elected but the second?

    There's a old saying in.... Oh never mind

    I can't believe 41.6% of the Irish electorate voted for Fianna Fáil in 2007. They must have all been imbeciles.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972


    Seriously Bush was president so how stupid do Americans have to be? You can always make a reason for the first time been elected but the second?

    Er he wasnt elected the first time around and theres even a bit of a question mark over the second


  • Registered Users Posts: 45,435 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger


    I'd hazard a guess that many who supposedly hate America have never been there. Fantastic country.

    Anyone drive Route 1 in California? Mindblowing.

    As for the dumb American thing? We have just as many idiots here, possibly more. Look at the fools running the country ffs.


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,371 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock


    Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Er he wasnt elected the first time around and theres even a bit of a question mark over the second

    The fact that is was even close ...

    Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.



  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín


    I have no problems with the US, indeed i like all things American. Sure there are some dumb people but this is the nation that put man on the moon and have given us almost every scientific breakthrough in the past century.

    Saying all Americans are stupid is about the most ignorant and uneducated statement one can make.


  • Registered Users Posts: 45,435 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger


    Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Er he wasnt elected the first time around and theres even a bit of a question mark over the second

    Didn't he have a majority of electoral votes? :confused:


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972


    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Didn't he have a majority of electoral votes? :confused:

    You mean like Robert Mugabae


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D


    ... as a graduate from Trinity college you probably wouldn't still be up to the mark as those Americans who graduated from Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Columbia, etc.. Remember Americans probably have some of the best third level educational faculties in the world and the fruits of these are very visible in American's contribution to the arts, sciences and engineering.

    ha. okay then. thanks.

    just in case it wasn't clear (my apologies my terrible education is to blame) I was referring to the fact that Trinity is a mecca for tourists. Oh how they love it.

    but thanks again, really. You are very informative.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins


    Osu wrote: »
    Being Irish-American born in the US to Irish parents this is my point of view on the avid anti-American stance in Ireland.

    I find it quite funny and hilariously sad the severe Anti-American stance in Ireland. Some people I meet in Ireland have some sort of hatred towards the States. For what reason, I can't comprehend. It makes no sense at all the fact that a lot of Irish people seem to think it's okay to hate America.

    It makes no sense at all. Any Anti-American topic on here seems to go down well, but any topic regarding any any-British content seems to be a taboo subject for you guys.

    I can't get my head around this fact that you hate us more than you hate the British. We have been the most accepting country of Irish immigrants, we are the country who love the Irish, yet we're hated.

    We have never tried to colonize your country, obviously, yet the Anti-American bias holds stronger than the anti-British bias over here. That point is merely a comparison between ourselves and the British.

    Can somebody shed some light on this for me? Why are Americans hated over here?

    Any great reasons?

    are you talking about political anti american views or personal?

    politically I can agree with some of the anti american sentiment like plance landing at shannon etc however im not fully up to speed with it so no comment.

    on a personal level I have found and met loads of americans who give your county a bad name with their stupidity etc why let them leave your country they are a bad ambassadors

    I was working as a waiter and had a gang in, middle aged husbands and wives etc. so asked them where they were from and they replied "indinapolis" and i said "oh the indy 500" and they starting cheering and stuff saying we didnt think anyone in Ireland would know so what ever about anti american view we have you guys have the same about us


Advertisement