Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Societies week (2010-2011)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Xhristy wrote: »
    That's it settled then. Despite the fact that I'm finished, I'm coming back for Fresher's Week :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 likelydropout

join engsoc! great cheep nights out!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

join engsoc! great cheep nights out!

well that's just ironic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

Xhristy wrote: »

BANANA BREAD?!? WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?

:D (please tell me someone else gets this joke)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

There is a Paintball Soc in the works. However it won't be in the Freshers Tent. This is due to on going discussions with UCD. We're hoping for a spectacular launch in October. In the meantime you can find us on FaceBook

Link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/UCD-Paintball-Club/239469004677

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

ironclaw wrote: »
    There is a Paintball Soc in the works. However it won't be in the Freshers Tent. This is due to on going discussions with UCD. We're hoping for a spectacular launch in October. In the meantime you can find us on FaceBook

Link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/UCD-Paintball-Club/239469004677

I hope that goes well. I will be interested joining that. Only played paintball once but it was really enjoyable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

aisers wrote: »
    i was wondering about some of the sports clubs ..... i love sport but am not amazing, does it matter much??

A lot of clubs, such as hockey, rugby, soccer, etc. run trials and split the members into different groups or levels, according to their ability.

Other clubs which are engaged in less mainstream sports, such as the rifle club, assume everyone is a beginner and so start their training with the basics.

kev9100 wrote: »
    Is there a History or French society by any chance?

There's both. History society usually have a good few speakers in to suit all tastes, with refreshments served afterwards.

French society used to have coffee mornings regularly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

well that's just ironic.

eng is engineering

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

convert wrote: »
    A lot of clubs, such as hockey, rugby, soccer, etc. run trials and split the members into different groups or levels, according to their ability.

Ah lovely, show off the serious tekkers I have, the incoming comp sci student...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Any one know the deal is with the boxing club. Is there two different teams or what.

muffinman wrote: »
    eng is engineering

Oh. Oh. I can't believe I went through of UCD not knowing that EngSoc was engineering soc.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭TunaSaladBB

Hi,

Does anybody know of a Superleague team looking for a player? Preferably the Sunday league!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭McNuggy10

Anyone have any experience of the ladies rugby team?? Looking to join a sport and I've never played rugby so sure why not!! Anyone know if I need to be a female Brian o Driscoll to join?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Ucd rock climbing club, is it active?

Whats the deal can you use the wall for free at certain times or whenever??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Long gone. Lonnnnnnnnnnng gone.

Your best bet is to join the FilmSoc as they have a few SLRs or else FashionSoc cause we're planning some photo shoots and also the University Observer would love some photographers...

Ah thats sad, it'd been on the go since the 70's apparently, suprised it folded. I'm sure there must be enough people around campus to get it revived again :confused: I'd be interested in joining if there was.

aisers wrote: »
    i was wondering about some of the sports clubs ..... i love sport but am not amazing, does it matter much??

It really depends on the club. Football, Gaelic and Rugby all do the trials and divide people up after that but nearly all the other clubs welcome people of any ability at all. I joined athletics last year but only made it to three sessions in the end due to illness but they were a great bunch of people. As long as you;d done some form of running before you could tag along. You only ever had to ru nas far as you felt comfortable. Everybody says all th other clubs are fairly similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fox McCloud

McNuggy10 wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience of the ladies rugby team?? Looking to join a sport and I've never played rugby so sure why not!! Anyone know if I need to be a female Brian o Driscoll to join?? :p

I'm also thinking of giving it a go... Mildly afraid of getting the ****e kicked out of me as I'm not very big or very fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭McNuggy10

I'm also thinking of giving it a go... Mildly afraid of getting the ****e kicked out of me as I'm not very big or very fast!

Haha Yeah I hear ya!!! I'll go if you go!! :P

• Advertisement

Anyone else not particularly good at footy looking to go along to the trials? Keep having a vision of me being the worst there by a mile...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

bigred100 wrote: »
    Anyone else not particularly good at footy looking to go along to the trials? Keep having a vision of me being the worst there by a mile...

UCD trials are a bit strange. I saw some very good players not make the cut and some absolutely shocking players get through.

Give it a shot, but it is a difficult enough cut to make.

dyl10 wrote: »
    UCD trials are a bit strange. I saw some very good players not make the cut and some absolutely shocking players get through.

Give it a shot, but it is a difficult enough cut to make.

Isn't there around 60 teams or something though? I'm looking for a competitive social team if that makes any sense...

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

bigred100 wrote: »
    I'm looking for a competitive social team if that makes any sense...

Have you considered a Superleague team?

Have you considered a Superleague team?

Yeah, I was reading about the superleague teams, would it take a lot of effort to organise one or how does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

What happened to the Music Soc---or was there ever one, like bands, musos and stuff, not just Jazz?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

This probably makes me sound like a pathetic noob BUT...what date is freshers week exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Gian-Pa

aine92 wrote: »
    This probably makes me sound like a pathetic noob BUT...what date is freshers week exactly?

The ball is on the 24th so I guess it's on that week.
    http://www.ucdents.ie

aine92 wrote: »

20th of September

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Slippers 2

Pretty sure it's always the second week of lectures. The Sports Expo (in the Sports Centre, where each club has a stand for people to sign-up) runs from Monday to Thursday each Freshers' Week. This year it's on the 20th to the 23rd. I don't remember if the Freshers' Tent (in the carpark behind the Student Centre, where the societies have stands) closes on the Thursday or the Friday.

Advertisement