Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Societies week (2010-2011)

Options
  • 24-06-2010 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

When do you guys have the week when all the signups happen for societies in particular and clubs as well?

Classes begin on the 13th of September from what i could understand.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Usually the 2nd week of term, so most likely starting on the 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Yes, it'll be Mon 20 - Fri 24 for societies and Mon 20 - Thur 23 for sports clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Gian-Pa

Cheers.
    Thx guys

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Will be good to see what's on offer.
    I googled for a definitive list of societies but I couldn't find an up to date one.

Anybody have any opinions on which are worth joining and have events during the year not just around freshers week? Any advice? Some of them look pretty good.

I'll be studying science so I don't know maybe there would be something there for me? Some of the sports ones look interesting too like Ninjutsu.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Victoria. wrote: »
    I googled for a definitive list of societies but I couldn't find an up to date one.

Anybody have any opinions on which are worth joining and have events during the year not just around freshers week? Any advice? Some of them look pretty good.

I'll be studying science so I don't know maybe there would be something there for me? Some of the sports ones look interesting too like Ninjutsu.

If I was you I'd join the UCD Fashion and Design Society ..... Just saying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

FADsoc as I have named it >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Slippers 2

Yup, we're very interesting :). We have a good few science people too, including me. During the summer we are training on Wednesdays from 6 till 8 (might be cancelled on some weeks if there aren't enough people around). UCD Ninjutsu facebook group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭uppishhauk

there are science orientated societies like chemsoc, biosoc, rocsoc, matsoc, medsoc

i'm involved with sci-fi society who are mainly science students and we are found in the hub so even if ya didn't join but spent your spare time in the hub you'd probably get to know us to some degree

as always i'd suggest joining L&H and law soc as they do usually get good guests etc

Fad wrote: »
    FADsoc as I have named it >_>

No. Never FAD SOC. No one will know what we're on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 aisers

i was wondering about some of the sports clubs ..... i love sport but am not amazing, does it matter much??

also interested in the drama soc. is there many produtions during the year???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

2 a week is usual. So yes, they're insanely active.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Raphael wrote: »
    2 a week is usual. So yes, they're insanely active.

A mate of mine was in Drama Soc and he was always on the go. Insanely is an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Fairly sure the only society more active then dramsoc in terms of events is Lawsoc...

But most of those you'd never know about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Actually, no. Gamesoc have been about as, if not more active than them recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Well tbh I dunno. All I know is Lawsoc organised 90 public events last year. Most of them were just aimed at the law faculty.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

I'd put Gamesoc down as the most active soc on campus. Last year they had an event every day Mon-Fri and some events even on a Saturday. They'd be the most active in terms of scheduled events. Not to mention all the random crap they seemed to have going on at the blob!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

TDOie wrote: »
    I'd put Gamesoc down as the most active soc on campus. Last year they had an event every day Mon-Fri and some events even on a Saturday. They'd be the most active in terms of scheduled events. Not to mention all the random crap they seemed to have going on at the blob!
    To be fair,some of those didn't run due to lack of turnout.I'd say Sci Fi are reliably the most active with about 6 events running every week

Saying that, this year we'll try and change that with more than 1 event every day.Not trying to sound too biased here,but if you're into it Gamesoc will always have something to do

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Anyone know what the story is with Photosoc? Is it still dead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

I wanna join the LGBT society. I hear they have one - dunno whether or not it's good / active.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Zephyr91 wrote: »
    I wanna join the LGBT society. I hear they have one - dunno whether or not it's good / active.

They are quite active - usually a couple of coffee mornings a week, and generally a night out too. They will run quite a few events during Fresher's Week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

They are quite active - usually a couple of coffee mornings a week, and generally a night out too. They will run quite a few events during Fresher's Week too.

Ah that's brilliant, thanks. I'm looking forward to joining so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Xhristy wrote: »

Gonna have membership cards this year :O

Better (ie ANY >_>) free stuff?

:eek:

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Is there a History or French society by any chance?

The secular and humanist society sounds interesting. Do you guys have many events?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

I hope not.

Long gone. Lonnnnnnnnnnng gone.

Your best bet is to join the FilmSoc as they have a few SLRs or else FashionSoc cause we're planning some photo shoots and also the University Observer would love some photographers...

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

I don't know about fashion soc. I have a friend who does loads of fashion shoots and it looks a bit boring to me. The observer would be a laugh though. Catch the pulse security guards abusing students outside the bar and stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Long gone. Lonnnnnnnnnnng gone.
    That's too bad. There was some talk about it being revived last year, but I guess it didn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Anyone know if Jazzsoc is active enough? It's pretty much the only society I'm interested in.

Advertisement