Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Busking in Dublin - Crack Down on Amps?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 thebrackster

this is real sad.
    i used to busk all the time playing an electric guitar with effects and all that jazz playing country and rock with all sorts in between and it always worked out great because i had a wee roland micro cube to pump it out. In the past before amps i remember watching guitarists struggle to be heard on the street and mnake no money whatsoever in comparison to other louder accoustic outfits such as string quartets and those woeful singers outside of hmv. the amps gave us a platform and even footing with the rest of the acts.

i find it hard to understand the shops reasons for putting forward this law, they all have music blaring inside them anyway and most of the shops have doors that close over which provides a further sound barrier.

what i have noticed is that in the 5 or so years since the microcube line from roland came out these have been appearing everywhere with some performers using 2 at a time. the pignose used to be the only one available and it wasnt super loud at all, as more an more battery powered technology is appearing such as the micro cube with 2 and 4 speakers in them ive seen buskers make full use of the added volume in an attempt to drown out competition and make their sound travel further and attract listeners, in fact it was getting to the stage where it was strange if you didnt have an amp to start off with.

anyway its definitely complete bull**** that they actually were allowed bring through such a deliberate and concise square ass law attacking street performers considering many of these shops play music directly onto the street themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭drumdrum

Agree the shops do seem a bit heavy handed in their approach alright.

That video on the Cork busking is a good watch anyways, thanks for that Sam Fehily.

I think the shops point of view is that if there is a terrible busker outside their shop, or a style of busker that doesn't appeal to their "clientele", then people will avoid the area around the busker and therefore the shop itself. I admit that there is a point to be made here, but getting legislation to restrict it is a bit harsh.
    And for electric guitar performers, because of the nature of the instrument, you NEED an amp to get sound. You can still see buskers using amps on grafton street today and personally I've never once thought that they were too loud. The buskers were fair about it and set the amp to a fair level for all concerned.

Sure the buskers add to the atmosphere of the place and they are great for tourist purposes, especially in the summer months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sam Fehily

Oh sure, no problem..

Advertisement