Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Smokes Online - Threads Merged

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

didn't have to pay customs as they come from spain
    That's not why you didn't pay excise on them. You just didn't get caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

I thought if you bought within th e u you werent liable for duty :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I thought if you bought within th e u you werent liable for duty
    Only if you physically transport the goods yourself. Here are the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

This post has been deleted.

:D ha ha check the date, who would have thought it .

opps sorry it was 2005

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

Two questions:

If I receive small quantities of pipe tobacco from within the EU for my own use will I be liable for duties if it's spotted in the mail?

I don't use a credit card and can't find a UK site that accepts laser or PayPal, would anybody know of one.

• Advertisement

Condatis wrote: »
    If I receive small quantities of pipe tobacco from within the EU for my own use will I be liable for duties if it's spotted in the mail?
    Yes, unless you've arranged to pay the duty in advance and have the relevant paperwork from Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

I only want 100 grams at a time. VAT and Duty is paid already in the EU. How does this fit in with the concept of a single market?

How does this fit in with the concept of a single market?
    It allows for differing excise regimes in different countries. If the barriers on exciseable goods didn't exist, everyone would just buy their wine straight from France where it's duty free, destroying the wine market everywhere else. All freedoms are limited.

So, European customs law says that excise on excisable goods -- booze and fags -- is payable in the country of destination, so you can't dodge the tax you would be due to pay if you bought them at home. In keeping with the free movement of goods and services, however, if you're transporting your own personal stash of booze and fags you don't have to pay local excise duty when you cross the border from one member state to another.

Getting tobacco sent in the post effectively makes you an importer, with all the red tape that comes with cross-border trade in exciseable goods. The amount is irrelevant, and if you're doing it by the book you shouldn't be paying VAT and duty in the country of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Have a friend in Bulgaria who regularly sends me 200-400 cigs as payment for some web work I do for him. Never had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

is it much of a pain sorting out the paperwork for the revenue? i was thinking of getting some various pipe tobbaccos trought the post as well. but if it involves lots of hassle i recon i would prob be better off going to holland or germany with a empty case.

then i guess i would have to prove it was all for personal use....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭noelpat

Hello folks,

I'm just wondering how many of you buy cigarettes and tobacco online?
    Do you have any links to sites you can vouch for?
    I'm thinking about trying it out if I can get some good deals, but I'm worried about getting a good deal and then been made pay through the nose for it! (by the government)

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Search for the term 'online' in this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Is online the way to go so? I need the saving as I'm always broke. I would pick smoking over food btw.

is it much of a pain sorting out the paperwork for the revenue?
    I glanced at it once and it certainly looked it. There's lots that the person you're buying from has to do.
    i would prob be better off going to holland or germany with a empty case.

then i guess i would have to prove it was all for personal use....
    Yeah. It's a tough one too as one of the tests for cigarette smugglers is whether there are different brands. A pipe smoker is probably going to want lots of different brands. You could always hope they don't believe a smuggler would ever make money flogging black market tobacco to pipe smokers :)

The no-questions-asked limit is 1kg. Personally, it would take me a long time to get through 20 50g tins of tobacco.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 501 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Does anyone know a good site for getting cheap Al Capone Cigarillos and maybe Romeo y Julieta Cigarillos

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭holdemfoldem

Just wondering if anybody has any good links other than:

http://www.e-tobaccos.com/buy-cigars/index.php

Wouldn't work out at much of a saving for my two brands, JP blue ( i know ;) ) and L&M red label

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Just wondering if anybody has any good links other than:

http://www.e-tobaccos.com/buy-cigars/index.php

Wouldn't work out at much of a saving for my two brands, JP blue ( i know ;) ) and L&M red label

Cheers

Them prices are shocking!! There's virtually no saving to be made.

You'd be better trying to get a cheap flight and do a day trip to somewhere in Europe. I done that last week. Early flight from Dublin to Madrid,cheap Metro into the city,bought 2,400 Marlboro Red in 3 or 4 Tabac kiosks and then back to the airport for a late afternoon flight home. After airfare was taken out i saved €450 and have enough cigarettes to do me until late January.

wow not bad, and pretty good idea.

I know there is a sticky on this that i need to read but surely that many is frowned upon.. was there a risk of getting em confiscated?

wow not bad, and pretty good idea.

I know there is a sticky on this that i need to read but surely that many is frowned upon.. was there a risk of getting em confiscated?

Read the thread. There is advice on the number of cigarettes that you can bring in. The charter also has a link to the relevant page on the Revenue.ie site.

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭mjcom4d

Anyone know sites for buying carrolls or any other countries that sell them

• Advertisement

Read the thread. There is advice on the number of cigarettes that you can bring in. The charter also has a link to the relevant page on the Revenue.ie site.

tHB

will do.. sorry:)

Ok i read it and the site linked to it regarding traveling within the E.U, i'm still unclear on something. May i ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Have you searched the forum for '"Customs"? Not trying to be unhelpful here but that question is asked so frequently here that most of us have a pain in the arse answering it. Thats why we put the link in the charter.

Anyway - just to get you started...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73211129

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lukekiko

thinking of buying cigarettes online was looking at a few sites some look bit dodgey with prices too good to be true! anybody out there recommend a good site and information on the most you can order at a time that would get through customs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Well, it's pretty illegal for a start..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Jev/N wrote: »
    Well, it's pretty illegal for a start..

Is it?? Wouldn't be so sure

Check this forum for answers

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=609

• Registered Users Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

OP, the smoking forum may be a better place to get an answer on this than Dublin.

Can't see it being illegal within the EU tbh, though customs will probably look for duty on it on delivery

Last 4 posts moved from Dublin City forum.

@lukekiko - Please be sure to read the Smoking forum charter.

tHB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

lord lucan wrote: »
    Them prices are shocking!! There's virtually no saving to be made.

I've found this with most products on here, the savings don't seem justify the risk.
    I can't see how it's worthwhile once you factor in the deliver cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    I've found this with most products on here, the savings don't seem justify the risk.
    I can't see how it's worthwhile once you factor in the deliver cost.

they were way cheaper up until about 6 months ago

i used to pay €80 for 10 pouches of american spirit
    now its almost €120 nearly a 50% increase

their loss

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

they were way cheaper up until about 6 months ago

i used to pay €80 for 10 pouches of american spirit
    now its almost €120 nearly a 50% increase

their loss

Just checked on my brand.
    Benson & Hedges Gold €67.99 per carton + €17.99 P&P = €8.59 per pack.
    Thanks but no thanks Mr. E-Tobacco guy.

Ok, I increase the order qty. but the shipping only moves up marginally.
    So to make it worthwhile you'd want to be ordering big quantities & hope they don't get stopped .
    Count me out I'm afraid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement