Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Smokes Online - Threads Merged

Options
  • 06-12-2005 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever tried it? I've been looking at a few sites that google pooped up in a search for "cigarettes buy online E.U" I Havent a clue how safe they are but i'm told more and more people are doing it. Apparently it is perfectly legal to buy from another E.U country for your own us without getting slapped with customs charges or the like. If anyone has any good sites or hear anything as to the safety of most of the sites out there please post up. This will become very important if ash get their way in the next budget i heard on the radio that they requested an increase of two euros on a pack of twenty.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Dimitri wrote:
    i heard on the radio that they requested an increase of two euros on a pack of twenty.
    :eek: :eek: :eek: Cúnts tbh.

Anyway, I've never tried ordering them online myself, but I've read a good few threads from people that have... a quick search on AfterHours brings up these threads... they're pretty old, so don't reply to them ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58553
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=138955
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89517

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

Some intresting stuff there but according to my father(a man of the law!) its not illegal to import them from other e.u countries and you cannot be landed with c&e charges. I thin i'll give one of them a try i'll let ye know how i got on.
    If anyone has any info in the meantime please post up!
    Edit* i don't honestly think the gov are brazen enough to increase them by that much in one go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Wasn't the budget on today?

I heard on the news there was no increase in prices of smokes and alcahol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

If Johnny Blues were even €2 I couldn't imagine paying that for them, never mind €8.20.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

Do ye know any good websites where i could buy cigarettes online

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

A number of people have used http://www.e-tobaccos.com/buy-cigars/ and seem to be reasonably happy with their service. They have a rep posting in Bargain Alerts on Boards,

I've never used them myself.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Put "5% discount boards.ie" in the Comment box at checkout, where you're supposed to get ehh... a 5% discount.

I was looking at the site, and cartons seem well enough priced, however the posting charge fires the cost up a lot (IIRC it was 17.99eur). Suppose it's still cheaper than a carton in local shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I thought ciggies in the post were liable to seizure by customs ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 etobaccos.com

delancey42 wrote: »
    I thought ciggies in the post were liable to seizure by customs ?

We have many customers in Ireland receiving our products without any problems regularly. Once of the basic principles of the EU is free movement of people and goods!

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pirateninja

Do you not have to pay tax on them once they come into Ireland though?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

yes, you are supposed to pay tax.

I have a family member working in an post who regularly have visits from the guards to their sorting office and pounce on people bringing in ciggies - although to be honest I think they are really just cracking down on people bringing in large amounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Just wondering about the legality/legitimacy of sites like this http://uk.tobaccoonline.co.uk/product-info.asp?pid=4311&sm=S
    (I know there are probably others)

Those prices seem to be in-step with prices in a lot of EU countries. The price listed there is about the same as a Polish friend charges me when he brings them over from home. It's less than half the price of cigarettes over the counter here.

Anyknow know if these sites are legit? Has anyone used the site linked about or have any experience of buying cigarettes online?

Anyone?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

They're probably legit, but you're responsible for paying Irish tax and duty on the goods. If your parcel is stopped it'll end up costing you more than buying the same thing locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Cheap day trip to Spain FTW.

BeerNut wrote: »
    They're probably legit, but you're responsible for paying Irish tax and duty on the goods. If your parcel is stopped it'll end up costing you more than buying the same thing locally.

Isn't he only responsible for paying EU tax?

Isn't he only responsible for paying EU tax?
    Duty on booze and fags is due in the country they are exported to, unless they are transported by the purchaser personally for personal use. Link.

BeerNut wrote: »

Is it common for them to stop the parcel?

• Advertisement

Dunno, never tried it. Maybe other people here have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭DJMG92

friend of mine tired them from that site and got taxed & also they were fake!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

being looking at sites to buy fags from online but not mad on givin my credit card details to a site thats not safe...

any1 got a site they have used thats safe??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

looks like no1 wants to give out this info
    whats the big secret?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

How much are they now? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055873286&page=188
    second last post
    no. 3759

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Has anyone tried these http://www.e-tobaccos.com/buy-cigars/index.php in the past while?

Thinking of giving it a bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,056 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Is it common for them to stop the parcel?
    I was doing it a few years ago, buying smokes and tobacco from a Swiss seller. All went well for a couple of months then one day the postie turned up requesting duty for the parcel in his hand. Ok, I thought, still only brings it up to shop prices - how wrong I was. The amount of duty was punitive, so I told the postie to tell Customs to shove it up their collective jackasses.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried these http://www.e-tobaccos.com/buy-cigars/index.php in the past while?

Thinking of giving it a bash.

i got 10 pouches off them about a month ago

they were brilliant and really quick postage too i think it only took something like 3 days

and didn't have to pay customs as they come from spain
    and they label the box as gifts too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement