Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

lxflyer wrote: »
    Of course they can - the trams on the Red line have already been lengthened once.

The plan is for certainly some (if not all) of the existing Green Line trams to be lengthened.

given how bloody packed they are at peak times, why havent they been lengthened or do the existing stops have to be lengthened first?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,642 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Idbatterim wrote: »
    given how bloody packed they are at peak times, why havent they been lengthened or do the existing stops have to be lengthened first?

Money? The lack of it might have a lot to do with it.

In case you've not noticed all of our transport providers have not exactly been flushed with cash lately.

That would require extra public funding - there a whole host of other transport projects/issues that are competing for that money.

Add to that there is still nowhere near the full number of Red Line trams in daily service - so no need yet for that line.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

http://www.newstalk.com/Luas-new-trams-Cross-City-Green-line-Citadis-Paschal-Donohoe

I was just reading about the new longer trams coming into service at the end of 2017. Can the existing trams be increased in length?

They are modular and some have already been extended from their original configuration.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

A major milestone alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Wait. The bit of the Luas that's at Stephen's Green is the Green Line. Where the Red & Green lines intersect is at O'Connell St. Surely that's the X that marks the spot??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Wait. The bit of the Luas that's at Stephen's Green is the Green Line. Where the Red & Green lines intersect is at O'Connell St. Surely that's the X that marks the spot??
    Those photos look to be at Abbey Street - possibly junctioning with Marlborough street?

Yes that's the Abbey St / Marlborough St junction where southbound Green Line trams will cross the Red Line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Reuben1210 wrote: »

And just 15 years after it should of been done! Woop woop step on board the progress express and by express I mean the progress luas as it meanders from Stephen's Green to the Broadstone at slightly over walking pace

And just 15 years after it should of been done! Woop woop step on board the progress express and by express I mean the progress luas as it meanders from Stephen's Green to the Broadstone at slightly over walking pace

And delays far more bus passengers than it will ever carry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

theskeptic wrote: »
    Sorry, but I see very clear non-right angles there as they do not bisect at 90deg.

The intersection rail piece is now on the traffic island opposite Easons if you care to head down there with your protractor.
    Don't think I'll bother with that protractor after all since they're clearly not perpendicular. :rolleyes:

Cj8D7KqWEAA8YXJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

luas as it meanders from Stephen's Green to the Broadstone at slightly over walking pace
    Now there's a Top Gear type challenge for you when it gets built: Stephen's Green to Broadstone - Luas Vs Bicycle Vs Pedestrian.

Be interesting to see the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

serfboard wrote: »
    luas as it meanders from Stephen's Green to the Broadstone at slightly over walking pace
    Now there's a Top Gear type challenge for you when it gets built: Stephen's Green to Broadstone - Luas Vs Bicycle Vs Pedestrian.

I like it - maybe expand it to Cherrywood, and do it at rush hour - could include cars too

• Registered Users Posts: 41 theskeptic

Don't think I'll bother with that protractor after all since they're clearly not perpendicular. :rolleyes:

The photo you posted is of Marlborough St / Abbey St junction not O'Connel St / Abbey St junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

They should get Mammy O'Rourke down there with a red ribbon and scissors to mark the final fixing of her fcuk up :D

iirc Stephens Green to Broombridge is going to take 26 minutes to cover on Luas. Its 6.5km so I'd say a bicycle would easily beat the Luas by about 5 or 6 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Nah, that'd be the bicycle easily. Make it Ranelagh to Broombridge for a real challenge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Muahahaha wrote: »
    They should get Mammy O'Rourke down there with a red ribbon and scissors to mark the final fixing of her fcuk up :D

iirc Stephens Green to Broombridge is going to take 26 minutes to cover on Luas. Its 6.5km so I'd say a bicycle would easily beat the Luas by about 5 or 6 minutes

6.5km is the distance the luas will travel a bike could take a much more direct route

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

6.5km is the distance the luas will travel a bike could take a much more direct route

According to Google, a bike should do it in 24 mins - 20 mins by car and 1hr and 7 mins walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

when BXD is in operation will taxi drivers be allowed to drive on the tracks down Dawson St onto College Green?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    when BXD is in operation will taxi drivers be allowed to drive on the tracks down Dawson St onto College Green?

Currently that is indeed the plan yes.

• Advertisement

I have moved posts on extending the Luas southside to a new thread so we can keep this one for the BXD.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100079575#post100079575

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

I have moved posts on extending the Luas southside to a new thread so we can keep this one for the BXD.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100079575#post100079575

Those discussions covered both sides of the Liffey. Could you rename the thread cheers.

D.L.R. wrote: »
    Those discussions covered both sides of the Liffey. Could you rename the thread cheers.

OK

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Used the Luas to Jervis st the other day and have to say I was pretty impressed by the temporary switchover in use there, what a genius solution!
    [IMG][/img]27704580021_751dcfe1ef_b.jpgmaxresdefault by kingbehan, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I notice when passing on the train at Broombridge that there are a number of large metal type frame structures that have been recently erected on the site of the new Luas terminus. Does anyone know what they are? Will they be some sort of storage unit facility for overnight parking of the trams or maintenance sheds?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

ongarboy wrote: »
    I notice when passing on the train at Broombridge that there are a number of large metal type frame structures that have been recently erected on the site of the new Luas terminus. Does anyone know what they are? Will they be some sort of storage unit facility for overnight parking of the trams or maintenance sheds?

There will be a depot located there.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Roryhy wrote: »
    Used the Luas to Jervis st the other day and have to say I was pretty impressed by the temporary switchover in use there, what a genius solution!

Kinda seems crazy that it wasn't initially built with a switch at this point, considering how regularly it has to close for parades, protests etc and the reduced capacity the current layout causes between Four Courts and Jervis :confused:

Telchak wrote: »
    Kinda seems crazy that it wasn't initially built with a switch at this point, considering how regularly it has to close for parades, protests etc and the reduced capacity the current layout causes between Four Courts and Jervis :confused:

It's a pretty inconvenient place for a switch though, they are only getting away with it at the minute because Abbey Street is essentially closed off to traffic aside from Arnotts. Even then, it still needs constant monitoring by several humans to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

MJohnston wrote: »
    It's a pretty inconvenient place for a switch though, they are only getting away with it at the minute because Abbey Street is essentially closed off to traffic aside from Arnotts. Even then, it still needs constant monitoring by several humans to work.

You're probably right, the inconvenience might not be worth it for aonly a half dozen times a year.

• Advertisement

Well, it does make me wonder how they've never used these temporary switchbacks in those situations before!

Advertisement