Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That is not necessarily true. Luas trams take the same time to cross O'C St whether they have waited two minutes or 10 seconds and so cause a constant amount of delay. If they can cross O'C St without slowing, they cause less delay - not more. All it takes is proper phasing of the lights.

Cross city buses are delayed by congestion in D'Olier St and Westmoreland St, by buses trying to access their stop blocked by other buses trying to access their designated stop, which in turn are blocked by buses trying to exit their stop.

A bit of planning there would help.

The sequencing of the lights is such that buses coming off O'Connell Bridge get a clear run through the Abbey Street Junction - messing around with that every time a LUAS arrives at that junction in either direction is not going to make that situation any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Yeah I know but does 2 years souls reasonable to you? I know not all track is down and costs are higher if done quicker.

Sisk will be trying to get it done as quickly as possible. If they get finished two months earlier, they get paid the same but dont have to pay for labour, plant, etc. for those two months. Look at all the motorway construction projects, all get finished months early, its all about productivity and getting off site asap. No doubt when timeframes for projects are being set, NRA/RPA (now TII) anticipate a few hiccups, a bit like the way airlines usually state flight times 120% of the actual time so they can absorb some level of delay without making the flight late or can then pat themselves on the back when they arrive before the stated arrival time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

lxflyer wrote: »
    The sequencing of the lights is such that buses coming off O'Connell Bridge get a clear run through the Abbey Street Junction - messing around with that every time a LUAS arrives at that junction in either direction is not going to make that situation any better.

Yep, this is the problem really - at the minute there's enough traffic from O'Connell Bridge heading north that a red at Abbey Street without a matching red at OCB would be messy. Perhaps once private cars are banned from this area, there will be more scope for it (buses *tend to* be better about adhering to yellow box restrictions than private cars).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,301 ✭✭✭cgcsb

loyatemu wrote: »
    it has poor priority at Gardiner St as well, they really should have cut-and-covered that whole stretch.

The Herald an Irish Times were telling us the whole system would be running empty anyway so cut and over was a waste of money back then you see. The same journos are telling us metro north is not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dogsouljah

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    There are now tracks down in a few spots about town yet it is still 2 years until it opens. I know they have to stop for 2016 celebrations but it still seems s long time to me. The length of time for the project always seemed very long to me but now seeing what is done I can't fathom what will take another 2 years?

In addition to the tracks, there are also substations for powering the system, a depot and associated buildings in Broombridge, kilometres of track and multiple structures in the cutting, overhead lines and poles, small power and systems (cameras, tram detectors etc.), comprehensive testing and commissioning, trial running etc etc.

2 years is actually quite tight!

• Advertisement

Add to that list reinstatement of monuments/original footpath slabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I assume work can be done elsewhere on the line while the 1916 stuff goes on around OCS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭AngryLips

dogsouljah wrote: »
    In addition to the tracks, there are also substations for powering the system, a depot and associated buildings in Broombridge, kilometres of track and multiple structures in the cutting, overhead lines and poles, small power and systems (cameras, tram detectors etc.), comprehensive testing and commissioning, trial running etc etc.

2 years is actually quite tight!

Why is another depot needed given that there's already one in Sandyford?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know what route the old railway buildings at Broadstone served back in the day? Was Broadstone itself a terminus or did trains run further from there towards Hueston or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,834 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Muahahaha wrote:
    Anyone know what route the old railway buildings at Broadstone served back in the day? Was Broadstone itself a terminus or did trains run further from there towards Hueston or something?

Galway & Sligo trains I think. It was a terminus, the track ended there

• Advertisement

So did it connect with what is now the Maynooth line?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

AngryLips wrote: »

Possibly the existing one wouldn't have space to handle the extra trams needed? It's on a very space constrained site. Additionally the increased activity at the new depot might increase the security and make it a more attractive station for passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dogsouljah

The depot in Sandyford is close to it's maximum footprint, penned in by a reservoir on one side and houses/roads on the other. Plus, to run multiple services (including the existing green line routes), it is more efficient to have part of your tram fleet at the other end (not to mention it can also cater for future extensions out Finglas direction).

Two basic reasons:

1) Insufficient space - there are additional trams coming and existing trams will be lengthened.

2) Reduces dead running back to the depot - far more efficient to have a depot at either end.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    loyatemu wrote: »
    Galway & Sligo trains I think. It was a terminus, the track ended there
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    So did it connect with what is now the Maynooth line?

It was the terminus for the Midland Great Western Railway, with the mainline to Sligo (which is the Maynooth line) starting there, and lines to Athlone, Galway and Westport diverging at Mullingar, and the line to Cavan diverging at Inny Junction.

The line from Connolly trailed in at Liffey Junction, just after it crossed the Royal Canal (just before Broombridge).

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

I think with the high volume of traffic, both bus and private vehicles, as well as the new Luas line, some dwell time at O'Connell Street can be forgiven; although it should be very quick wait. All other junctions should have no dwell times for the Luas.

If this was the case then an underground section between Connolly and Hueston wouldn't be needed.

Another thing I found strange was why the project wasn't done in phases: the first part to Grangegorman maybe (thus linking the two lines), the second phase for the rest of the line towards Bloombridge. Might have taken longer overall but the system would've been operational much sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Another thing I found strange was why the project wasn't done in phases: the first part to Grangegorman maybe (thus linking the two lines), the second phase for the rest of the line towards Bloombridge. Might have taken longer overall but the system would've been operational much sooner.

The Grangeforman - Broombridge section is the easier of the two as it is primarily on the old railway alignment, and I doubt will have any impact on the delivery of the project.

Also, the depot at Broombridge may be required to handle the additional trams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I heard the reason for the depot at Broombridge was to have all trams indoors when they are kept in the area for vandalism reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

afatbollix wrote: »
    I heard the reason for the depot at Broombridge was to have all trams indoors when they are kept in the area for vandalism reasons.

There will be plenty of external stabling at Broombridge as well. Only two trams will fit inside the depot maintenance facility (and likely only when undergoing maintenance).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Naw it was to prevent the trams being thrown in the Liffey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Vandalism won't be an issue as it will be open 24/7 so not exactly.

It's interesting that Luas stops see next to no vandalism even likely used ones without a security presence while Irish Rail see a lot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Vandalism won't be an issue as it will be open 24/7 so not exactly.

It's interesting that Luas stops see next to no vandalism even likely used ones without a security presence while Irish Rail see a lot.

And Dublin Bikes appear to go unscathed as well - must be because they have a useful and popular reputation with the public. Dart does not suffer much vandalism either. (Apart from graffiti)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Naw it was to prevent the trams being thrown in the Liffey

Unless Superman takes a serious dislike of the Luas, I dont think there is much chance of a tram being thrown from Broombridge into the Liffey.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Unless Superman takes a serious dislike of the Luas, I dont think there is much chance of a tram being thrown from Broombridge into the Liffey.

Sarcasm fail

• Registered Users Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Pete_Cavan wrote: »

463.jpg

(actually the joke is that this is what everyone used to worry would happen to Dublin Bikes before they launched)

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Sarcasm fail

More like the fact the Liffey is nearly 3 miles from Broombridge at its nearest point. Now the Royal Canal on the other hand.

More like the fact the Liffey is nearly 3 miles from Broombridge at its nearest point. Now the Royal Canal on the other hand.

The fact the Liffey is miles away is part of the joke.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Sarcasm fail

The boyos will probably wait till the trams get to the Grand Canal before rocking them off the tracks and into the river!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Ah lads can we get back on track :cool:

The above is also a joke

• Advertisement

yeah this thread has derailed somewhat, its in the liffey with all those Dublin Bikes

Advertisement