Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

goldfish.ie

• 21-06-2010 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

Has anyone heard anything about the new business VoIP provider, goldfish.ie? I am starting a company and need a few phone lines and efax capabilities. I Am interested to hear if they are any good. Thanks,

J Byrne

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Tomtata

Blueface.ie offer a fantastic service, I’m surprised someone is trying to compete with them, unless of course they are reselling under their white label option. Best of luck tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jbyrne1111

Hi
    Thanks for the reply. I actually used Bueface in the past for my home phone and they were OK but their support desk were very unresponsive. I kept getting a recorded message. I need business services now and looking at the goldfish.ie site, it looks like they have better routing options and features. I am going to give it a go and I wll let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Tomtata

When did you use Blueface last, I’m using it in a business case,

10 users --> 23,650 calls in the last 12 months --> No issues except for the outage a couple of weeks ago.

Can’t recommend it highly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 helper11

Hi ya

I used blueface two years ago and they were great to use, so was going to use them again this year but their prices seemed to have doubled fax number was €5 now €10 a month, extra phone number was €5 now €10 a month etc. so Im gonna give goldfisg a try and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭WonderBoy9

I acknowledge your willingness to get involved with boards.ie but something looks a bit funny....

goldfish.ie set up in June-ish?

only 2 posts and joined in June?

Do you happen to have an affiliation with www.Goldfish.ie? hmmmmm, (chin stroking) interesting...

Hey Guys have you heard of this new energy drink? Its called wonder9boy...
    it helps me lose weight, makes me stronger, I gets lots of girls and It prints money. I'm going to check it out. :cool:

Best of luck with your business either way. We need a better start-up culture in Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

jbyrne1111 wrote: »
    .............. I actually used Bueface ..................... but their support desk were very unresponsive.........

Thats just so far from my experience I find it very hard to credit.

For example, last Friday afternoon I had 2 issues with a B/F config. Sent them an email @ around 16:45Hrs. By 17:30Hrs they had resolved on of the issues for me, The other was resolved yesterday.

Dont think I will find better support that that !

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

0lddog wrote: »
    Thats just so far from my experience I find it very hard to credit.

For example, last Friday afternoon I had 2 issues with a B/F config. Sent them an email @ around 16:45Hrs. By 17:30Hrs they had resolved on of the issues for me, The other was resolved yesterday.

Dont think I will find better support that that !

Pretty much my experience with them also, any support emails I've sent are dealt with within hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭paulhardman

Oddly, Goldfish Telecom Ltd was only registered as a company in April 2010, yet their "What Our Customers Say" box on the front page has a customer saying their line was set up in December 2008...

And actually, Goldfish.ie's customer testimonials look curiously similar (aka the exact same) as these:

http://soho66.co.uk/7440/all/1/Testimonials.aspx

...as actually does the whole website...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 eggysplat

Hi

Just to clarify this, I work for Soho66, and Goldfish / Soho66 are indeed affiliated companies, and share customer testimonials, which is why there are quite a few similarities.

We don't hide the fact that we're affiliated but, are two independent companies. Goldfish operating from Ireland, using data-centres for service in Dublin, and are an Irish registered company. Soho66 are a UK registered company, with all our equipment in data-centres in data-centres in Telehouse, London.

Support for both brands is provided by the same UK staff though, so as to bring the wealth of experience and knowledge that Soho66 have built over the years to Goldfish customers and provide an excellent level of service.

Obviously, I cannot comment on Blueface as we have no affiliation with them and wouldn't be fair / appropriate of professional for me to do so :)

Hope that clears things up a little.

Kind Regards

Daryl

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

Just wanted to add that we've been using Goldfish for 6 months and have been very pleased with the service. Very reliable, excellent call quality and the team are responsive.

I'd recommend them over Blueface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

Do Goldfish do residential packages? Can't see them on their site.
    Blueface have nice home deals.

Seriously considering switching home phone to VOIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

brimal wrote: »
    Do Goldfish do residential packages? Can't see them on their site.
    Blueface have nice home deals.

Seriously considering switching home phone to VOIP

VOIP call rates very cheap.

To avoid paying line rental you need to be running it over UPC.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Goldfish don't offer residential plans but you can use business plans for residential. I don't think you will save with using a blueface residential plan as you can just top it up and spend for your calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

Correct. Goldfish allow residential customers to sign up. You don't need to own a big business to use the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bonnamh

Hi,

I am a new customer with Goldfish since last week, am not affiliated with any provider.
    My experience to date has been:
    Website dreadful (eg. cannot purchase 2 items as basket doesn't work)
    Service offering is great, fax to email, voicemail to email etc all very good.
    Support desk very helpful and fast with configuring changes and getting you set up, so we worked around the website problems by emailing support.
    However when I found actual problem with their service (can't receive imcoming calls from local Eircom landlines!!!) they went silent for days and then told me to sort it out myself with Eircom :(
    So basically the service does not work for me at all, am awaiting resolution/refund.
    It may work for you if you get range of numbers in area where nobody will ever call you from but then you most likely want a phone "presence" in your customer area.
    Anyway, that's been my experience to date.
    If any change, I'll post update
    bonnamh : )

bonnamh wrote: »
    Hi,

I am a new customer with Goldfish since last week, am not affiliated with any provider.
    My experience to date has been:

I'm sorry to hear you are not having joy with VoiP as your telephone solution.
    Website dreadful (eg. cannot purchase 2 items as basket doesn't work)
    I must agree, the website is in need of a redo. Blueface's website is also in need of a redo but works fine really and there isn't anything wrong with the chekcout etc.
    Service offering is great, fax to email, voicemail to email etc all very good.
    Support desk very helpful and fast with configuring changes and getting you set up, so we worked around the website problems by emailing support.
    I must say that the 'Fax to email' voicemail to email etc. is standard and can be done easily with Asterisk or a PBX.
    However when I found actual problem with their service (can't receive imcoming calls from local Eircom landlines!!!) they went silent for days and then told me to sort it out myself with Eircom frown.gif
    Yes, we use it for our closed message when the office is closed in 1 office as we don't have an answering machine. At first, we also had this problem and if we found the diverted phone hangs up, we ring it again and it works fine. This happened even if we called the goldifsh number directly.
    It seemed to work fine for the last week or so.:D
    So basically the service does not work for me at all, am awaiting resolution/refund.
    If you are paying for a service you are not getting and have not yet got a refund, you should refer to your rights and seek advice:
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Tip_Of_The_Week/Tips_Archive/Ditch_your_landline_.html
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Get_Your_Rights/Make_a_Complaint/Tell-us-about-a-trader/
    http://www.askcomreg.ie/tell_us/voice_over_internet_protocol.265.LE.asp
    http://www.askcomreg.ie/tell_us/complaints.316.LE.asp

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bonnamh

Thanks for the info and links Mr. Grumpy.

Since last post, I tried Eircom again and had better luck in who answered the phone.
    They fixed the "software problem" in their exchange and now local Eircom landlines can call me.
    However, in terms of using this service in any serious way for business, I am left with 2 assumptions:

1 - There are presumably other exchanges around the country from which I cannot receive calls
    2 - While Goldfish support are very responsive on the simple stuff, they are quick to ignore and then wash their hands of more serious issues.

I will suck it and see ...

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fitzee

In fairness to goldfish it looks to be an eircom issue alright, sounds like they didn't have the routing tables updated locally for goldfish's newer number ranges, that would explain it though I think?

Not sure how that should work but if I were Goldfish or any other telecoms company and I found eircom weren't routing calls to my number ranges I would be making it my business to sort it out! Must be some regulatory breach by eircom to neglect the competition in this manner? :rolleyes:

Well AFAIK the telecom exchanges are setup with tables to say 018888888 (eircom cust) wants to call 015547888 (goldfish cust), eircom must have 015547888 on their system to route it to the correct domain or direction, to be routed in the correct direction. They don't provide 076 which is a shame, as it is simple on their end to setup. It is eircoms problem, but digiweb should have notified eircom to add it to their system.

If anyone has this problem again: its eircom you go to Technical Support 1901: Report a fault and get it sorted that way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 TheTaker

eggysplat wrote: »
    Hi

Just to clarify this, I work for Soho66, and Goldfish / Soho66 are indeed affiliated companies, and share customer testimonials, which is why there are quite a few similarities.

We don't hide the fact that we're affiliated but, are two independent companies. Goldfish operating from Ireland, using data-centres for service in Dublin, and are an Irish registered company. Soho66 are a UK registered company, with all our equipment in data-centres in data-centres in Telehouse, London.

I don't think so! Soho66 and Goldfish both use the domain sip.name for registration which when you ping points to 84.45.53.115. Using an ip address locator shows that this is an ip in london. so basically Goldfish is a .ie version of Soho66, nothing else, except pricing in euro. another sip provider not located locally, it's no wonder voip is always suffering a bad rep when you add the extra hops to packet loss. and who knows after the london datacentre where the call is being terminated if they can't be upfront about where they are located.

• Advertisement

TheTaker wrote: »
    I don't think so! Soho66 and Goldfish both use the domain sip.name for registration which when you ping points to 84.45.53.115. Using an ip address locator shows that this is an ip in london. so basically Goldfish is a .ie version of Soho66, nothing else, except pricing in euro. another sip provider not located locally, it's no wonder voip is always suffering a bad rep when you add the extra hops to packet loss. and who knows after the london datacentre where the call is being terminated if they can't be upfront about where they are located.

well said. It is worth noting that Goldfish.ie has been using Digiweb's assigned numbers also. Those numbers are Digiweb's they go to Goldfish and then forward onto Soho66 and then whereever the calls go then:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 trevorcoyle

You could try Telcom based in Dublin and provide VOIP and SIPtrunking solution. Good company to deal with and offer good service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 eggysplat

TheTaker wrote: »

Hi TheTaker

You're correct on the SIP proxy server for sip.goldfish.ie *now* pointing to 84.45.53.115, the same as sip.soho66.co.uk. This change was done earlier this year. At the time of my original post, the SIP proxy was indeed in Ireland. However, we've done this for some very valid reasons.
    • This is purely a SIP proxy ONLY. If you care to study the SIP traffic, you will notice that your call is handled by one of our Dublin media servers, most likely 78.137.191.90, which is hosted within a Digiweb datacentre in Dublin.
    • SIP traffic forms a TINY portion of a VoIP call and, is only responsible for signalling traffic (call setup and tear-down). This adds no delay to the audio in a call as we do this from Dublin, and adds 13ms delay before the phone starts to ring, which to be fair is pretty insignificant.
    • We have redundant backup servers for our SIP proxy in case of disaster and, if we ever need to use it, we can do this with no change to IP address, therefore causing minimal disruption to customers. It makes sense to only have to do this the once.
    • Whilst on the subject of making sense to do things just the once, we also develop our platform quite extensively over time. Rather than keeping multiple SIP proxies up to date continually, it makes sense to do this once also.

I hope this addresses any concerns that you have on this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

How safe is it to divert a small businesses only phone number to one of these voip providers. The reason I would want to do it is
    1. Have online voicemail
    2. Have a greeting
    3. Record calls for staff training purposes.

Can any of the above be done without the voip providers?

I note blueface dont do call recording but goldfish do.
    What are the odds of something going down and the phone not working? How does the transfer of the number work is it seamless?
    Cheers for any help and advice.

lomb wrote: »
    How safe is it to divert a small businesses only phone number to one of these voip providers. The reason I would want to do it is
    1. Have online voicemail
    2. Have a greeting
    3. Record calls for staff training purposes.

Can any of the above be done without the voip providers?

I note blueface dont do call recording but goldfish do.
    What are the odds of something going down and the phone not working? How does the transfer of the number work is it seamless?
    Cheers for any help and advice.

This thread is a year old. Open a new one instead.

But to answer your question, if you would like the features like the IVR, voicemail to email and call recording and don't want to use VOIP then you will need a phone system.

Companies such as Innovate Voicegrid would be able to set up a reliable voip system for you in your own office and would connect you up and running and maintain it. With no upfront costs.

Telephone services in Ireland are regulated by Comreg- heavily. Porting is seamless and takes 24-48 hours to port a standard pstn line. ISDN take longer. Basically you submit the form to the provider they request the number from your provider through the eircom wholesale UI. Your existing provider must release the number within 24 hours of submittion. Then the other provider must collect it within 24 hours. Its only done on weekdays as eircom don't work weekends.

Your line won't have any down time. It takes a few minutes to go through and that's it.

Just make sure you are not in a contract with your current provider.

Because of the nature of VOIP, it relies on your broadband speed. Generally you should allow 100kbits down and up for each phone for cristal clear quality. You should setup QoS on your router to give your phone priority.

It is unlikely your phone will go down. I've had serious issues with eircom and to be honest I have never once regretted switching. Also you can manage routing online etc without needing to phone up your provider.

Sorry Il open a new thread in future .

Regarding your comments, I dont understand. You stated if I didnt want VOIP I should use a company like Innovative Voicegrid. Is this not just what say goldfish are? What is the difference between me having a landline pstn number with broadband, porting the pstn number( would the broadband remain active?) to goldfish and buy one of their cisco phones.

I am under contract with vodafone for 6 months on their value broadband bundle on a single pstn line. I think they allow downgrades for a nominal fee 25 euro. So could I port out the associated landline to goldfish leaving the broadband in place? Persumably all I need is one cisco phone and a broadband connection to make it work. This would give me call recording, web managed voicemail etc which is what I need. I need 100% uptime so someone suggested that if something went wrong that I could divert calls to mobiles. What I would like is a new pstn line attached to the broadband as it costs roughly the same and has redundancy to allow cheap diverts if the broadband goes down and port out the existing number to say goldfish.

Sorry, what I meant was the likes of innovate set you up and maintain it. If something goes wrong they can fix it for you remotely.

If you port your number you will lose the broadband on that line.

You will need broadband for voip so you should setup a line for broadband or get wireless or upc.

All you would need then would be an ip phone to make and receive calls and a router (from your isp) to connect your computers etc. Vodafone do broadband for €31.99 a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭AndyJB

Hi,
    Here's a post I did recently about my use of Goldfish.ie, might be of use. FYI I'm also in the process of porting a PSTN no.

I don't have any vested interest, just been a happy customer for the past few years.

Regards,
    AJB

• Advertisement

Im much more interested in having a reliable service than the cost. I have asked if Voda would remove the 6 mo contract on my line if I take a new landline/broadband with them. That would allow me to freely port out my pstn at my leisure which seems to be what is needed for it to work seamlessly.

Advertisement