Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coconut Oil

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What's the end result like, a potato cake/rosti sort of thing? Sounds interesting, I'm trying to like sweet potatoes more lately.
    Yes, it was nice, the kitchen still smells of garlic! I might try it without the cornflour next time. I am cutting out the "nightshades" which are mainly white potatoes, tomatoes, peppers -they can supposedly be bad for some peoples skin, and other things like arthritis. I am still having chilli peppers since I figure the amount I add of them is tiny, but no bell peppers.

Sweet potatoes are from the morning glory family. I never had one before until a few weeks ago, they are nice to work with, when you grate them there is not starch falling out like normal spuds, it looks more like grated carrot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

eightyfish wrote: »
    I doubt the health benefits

Why?

Rubadub: Sounds good, grating other veg in might also help and lessen the sweetness of the potatoes (for me anyways).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

That recipe does sound good.
    Why?

I'm immediately suspicious of people who call themselves "nutritionists" as it is not a protected term. I'm also sceptical of anybody saying "take this every day and you will be healthier." Vitamins, etc. Also, the research page on that website in post 27 is a joke. So I doubt, that's all.

It's a fantastic cooking ingredient though.

EDIT: I just did a quick search of coconut oil in scientific papers. The first medical paper that came up concludes its abstract as follows :
    Nevertheless, the possible negative effects of the saturated fatty acids and the absence of the essential fatty acid linolenic acid from all coconut constituents suggest that the coconut milk, oil and cream should not be used on a regular basis in adults.
    Source: WEST INDIAN MEDICAL JOURNAL Volume: 49 Issue: 2 Pages: 128-133 Published: JUN 2000

eightyfish wrote: »
    That recipe does sound good.

I'm immediately suspicious of people who call themselves "nutritionists" as it is not a protected term. I'm also sceptical of anybody saying "take this every day and you will be healthier." Vitamins, etc. Also, the research page on that website in post 27 is a joke. So I doubt, that's all.

Did anyone post those claims though? I don't think the page in post 27 is a research page either, but so what? Also I don't think possible negative effects is enough of an endorsement of your argument tbh.

Did anyone post those claims though? I don't think the page in post 27 is a research page either, but so what? Also I don't think possible negative effects is enough of an endorsement of your argument tbh.

The OP said : Been advised to take this by the nutritionist.

All I said is I doubt the health benefits. It was an aside. My main reason to post was to recommend it as an ingredient in Indian cooking. And because it's a slow day in work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

eightyfish wrote:
    The OP said : Been advised to take this by the nutritionist.

All I said is I doubt the health benefits. It was an aside. My main reason to post was to recommend it as an ingredient in Indian cooking. And because it's a slow day in work.
    Out of interest what manner of professional would you need the opinion on coconut oil to come from before you would consider it legitimate? If I've taken you up wrong apologies. I wouldn't put a huge amount of faith in the unprotected title of nutritionist or the protected title of dietician either because I suspect there is a huge variance between the various schools of thought. Many bonafide medical professionals would recommend the conventional food pyramid which I think most sensible folks have left behind.

columok wrote: »
    Out of interest what manner of professional would you need the opinion on coconut oil to come from before you would consider it legitimate?

I wouldn't look for an opinion. I'd look for some research papers that I could read, or a meta-analysis of papers. But I haven't looked for them. As I said, my remark was only an aside.

eightyfish wrote:
    I wouldn't look for an opinion. I'd look for some research papers that I could read, or a meta-analysis of papers. But I haven't looked for them. As I said, my remark was only an aside.

Fair enough. I'd get the majority of my advice from people within the paleo community and if I'm honest I'd take their advice on faith (as I have little time to check their background data or sources). Obviously this isn't ideal.
    Therefore when the likes of Loren Cordain, Robb Wolf, Eades, Sisson et al recommend coconut oil for it's health benefits I listen without necessarily needing bringing a cochrane review into the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Everyone's always giving out about nutritionists :(

Oh I forgot to mention coconut milk is obviously fantastic in curries too, but you can add it to pretty much any sauce or stew too. I still think it'd be way easier than using the fat.

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Everyone's always giving out about nutritionists :(

Oh I forgot to mention coconut milk is obviously fantastic in curries too, but you can add it to pretty much any sauce or stew too. I still think it'd be way easier than using the fat.

A little can of coconut milk and some water with whey protein is an awesome shake.

• Advertisement

A little can of coconut milk and some water with whey protein is an awesome shake.
    It's a daily occurence now tbh!!! Goes well with choc, strawberry, vanilla etc.. I find the Chaokoh is the tastiest and only 94c for 400ml can!

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Oh I forgot to mention coconut milk is obviously fantastic in curries too.

Absolutely. Tin of coconut milk, couple of tablespoons of fish sauce and a couple of tablespoons of green curry paste. Add meat. Season to taste. Quick Thai curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Unregistered39

Gintonious wrote: »
    Been advised to take this by the nutritionist I go to, been taking it a few days now and i love it,definitely feel more hungry since iv been taking it.

Anyone else use this amazing stuff?

Hi there,

Apologies for bumping this thread but I was wondering if you're still taking the CO and how it's working out for you? I only started taking it a week ago - I take about 1.5 tablespoons on toast for my breakfast and I'm starving an hour later! Usually the toast alone would keep me going a lot longer. I'm wondering is that purely my metabolism being kick-started. If it is it's powerful stuff! The worst thing now though would be if I just keep eating because it's making me hungry and pile on weight. Be interested to hear how it's going for you. Thanks.

Hi there,

Apologies for bumping this thread but I was wondering if you're still taking the CO and how it's working out for you? I only started taking it a week ago - I take about 1.5 tablespoons on toast for my breakfast and I'm starving an hour later! Usually the toast alone would keep me going a lot longer. I'm wondering is that purely my metabolism being kick-started. If it is it's powerful stuff! The worst thing now though would be if I just keep eating because it's making me hungry and pile on weight. Be interested to hear how it's going for you. Thanks.

Ditch the toast. You're not only undoing any positive benefit from the coconut oil but you're actually causing net harm to your weight loss. If you need to bump your metabolism and improve fat burning then you shouldn't be eating any high GI foods such as bread, pasta, rice, potatoes.

columok wrote: »
    Ditch the toast. You're not only undoing any positive benefit from the coconut oil but you're actually causing net harm to your weight loss. If you need to bump your metabolism and improve fat burning then you shouldn't be eating any high GI foods such as bread, pasta, rice, potatoes.

I know. The toast was just to make the oil a bit more palatable. I'm going to switch to Ryvita and a banana with it instead. I'm just amazed at how hungry I am so soon after eating a big heap o' fat! Thanks for the input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 vim de santana

re the biona brand, i used to use it alot, cause it was the only half decent brand in shops here, i then tried the nutiva brand purchased online, based on an friend recomendation, and wow there was such a huge inprovement compared to biona. VCO definately varies alot brand to brand

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

re the biona brand, i used to use it alot, cause it was the only half decent brand in shops here, i then tried the nutiva brand purchased online, based on an friend recomendation, and wow there was such a huge inprovement compared to biona. VCO definately varies alot brand to brand

How so? I've only ever tried one brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 vim de santana

Well, at times ive gotten jars of biona and they only mildly smelled of coconut, some were bad enough that they had the consistency/taste of wax. I dunno, maybe I got a bad jar, but the minute I opened the nutiva jar, i was greeted with the strongest most pleasant sent of coconut, and the taste didn't disappoint either. next on my list to try is Artisana coconut butter. its meant to be delish, only I just cant warrent the price + delivery for the time being.

http://www.red23.co.uk/Raw-Organic-Coconut-Butter-454g_p_1126.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I'd love to try this but I can't have any stimulants as I have a problem that makes my heart rate very high at times. As a result I'm wary of anything that boosts metabolism,

If this increases your metabolism does anyone find it causes problems like a stimulant eg. palpitations or anything like that ?

chilly wrote: »
    I'd love to try this but I can't have any stimulants as I have a problem that makes my heart rate very high at times. As a result I'm wary of anything that boosts metabolism,

If this increases your metabolism does anyone find it causes problems like a stimulant eg. palpitations or anything like that ?

Hi Chilly,

I take it in the mornings with Ryvita/toast and a big cup of coffee and while I am hungry an hour or so later (assume that's my metabolism kick starting), I haven't noticed any palpitations at all and I would tend to react to stimulants (more than one cup of coffee and my heart is yammering). The only thing I've noticed apart from the hunger is that I get a little warmer after eating it.

A surprising side effect is that I have a scar on my arm and since I've been using the CO as a moisturiser and eating it (only a week!) it seems to be rapidly disappearing. The brand I use is Barlean's.

That said, everyone reacts differently so probably best to run it by your doc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Dragging up an old post instead of starting a new thread. Just got coconut oil yesterday in Dunnes and really enjoyed it i am just wondering how often people eat it. I am trying to lose some weight and tone up going to the gym 5 or 6 times a week. I love steak and chicken and i have just stocked up on onions, peppers, chicken fillets and steak.

I have been usually using the george foreman for the fillets to avoid using oil as i thought it would be healthier. But after reading up it looks like coconut oil is good for energy and weight loss. Would it be unhealthy using cocount oil most days of the week to make chicken or steak stir fry's for dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Would it be unhealthy using cocount oil most days of the week to make chicken or steak stir fry's for dinner.

Eat as much of it as you want. Cook with it 3 times a day if you want or add it to your coffee.

Advertisement