Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS4 update Today: Download Released @6:00pm

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Another heads up...

The "Books" tab in iTunes now incorporates any existing audiobooks as well as the new 'print' versions for iBooks.

I didn't realise this and synced "Books" with my iPhone and lost a few GBs of audiobooks (George RR Martin!) which were on my phone, but not my PC.

Managed to find the original files and get them back on, but have now set books to manual sync.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

has iOS4 been properly jailbroken yet? i know it was beta broken on the day of the release.
    I'm thinking about doing it, but i'd need a list of instructions for fear of ****ing up my phone.

edit: iphone 3gs btw

Multitasking Question...

When I double click the Homebutton to goto multitask items, if I swipe the apps at the bottom every app I have used today is in there. These include apps I might have opened for a moment, and then closed immediately.

Are they all "frozen" in the background, or what are they doing in the multitask bar?

Even if I close them by holding down the icon and pressing the minus icon, they'll just appear again every time I use them.

What is going on?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Dades wrote: »
    Multitasking Question...

When I double click the Homebutton to goto multitask items, if I swipe the apps at the bottom every app I have used today is in there. These include apps I might have opened for a moment, and then closed immediately.

Are they all "frozen" in the background, or what are they doing in the multitask bar?

Even if I close them by holding down the icon and pressing the minus icon, they'll just appear again every time I use them.

What is going on?!

As far as I know pressing the home button once (which used to end/terminate an application in OS 3) just minimizes the application similar to minimizing something on a PC, There doesn't seem to be a way to properly exit an application other than viewing it in the multitasking area and ending it.

I expected this though..?If it didn't do this and just closed the app then it wouldn't be multitasking.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What is going on?!
    Don't have a 3GS, but from what I could tell, this is what's supposed to happen.

I thought it was a bit silly when I saw it, but without having used it I can't really comment on whether it's good or not.

The expectation is (from previous iOS versions) that when you hit the home buttons your app closes. Now they've changed that so your app doesn't close when you hit the home button.

That in itself would be OK except that they don't seem to have included a way of actually closing an application when you're done - any application with multitasking enabled, will go into background mode whether you like it or not.

Although Ricky above is technically right, the difference between normal multitasking and this is that on a PC/Mac, multitasking usually something you do consciously - you generally either choose to leave the app open or you close it, before moving onto the next one. iOS4 doesn't seem to have given you this option, you can only choose to leave the app open and then you have to go through a long-winded process to kill it.

They should have implemented something simple whereby a single click on the home button kills the app, but holding it down puts it into multitasking.

Or vice-versa, either way you have the option of killing it or backgrounding it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭oo7tk

To kill the app do you not just hold on the multitasking app ( as if you were wanting to move them around in the home screen ) and then just delete them???

Works for me anyway....

Thanks for the response, lads.

It seems to be somewhat of a flawed system.

The multitask-bar isn't much use if I have to scroll through a dozen apps to find the one I want to reopen. I might as well open it from the desktop.

It just turns the taskbar into a scrolling menu of your apps, unless you jiggle and delete all the icons from it several times a day. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I just checked mine there and I had a rake of apps open. I didn't know about pressing them until the minus sign appears and pressing that to close them. Must remember that.

Good news is that so far iOS4 has been running well on my 3GS. No complaints really, except that my C25K app doesn't work properly. Once the phone becomes locked, you can't hear the audio prompts anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

For anyone on the fence about upgrading their 3G, here's a summary of what I think having had it upgraded since Monday:

Pros:
    Everything is slicker and faster. Yes, the phone is running faster.
    Folders rock, no more pages and pages of apps.
    Consolidated inboxes are great, lets you work much quicker with your mail

Cons:
    Battery life has gone to ****. I would ordinarily charge mine every night anyway, so it's not a big deal. Before the upgrade, 30 minutes of radio streaming over 3G would usually drop my battery by about 5%. Having left the house this morning with battery @ 100% and listened to 30 minutes of radio, it's now at 83%. Going by the past few days, I can expect to be down to 30% by bedtime tonight - I would normally still have 70% left on an average day.

No other cons really - it's a minor upgrade for 3G users but the little improvements outweigh the one downfall. For me anyway. If you're heavy user who already has battery problems you could live without the minor upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

seamus wrote: »
    For anyone on the fence about upgrading their 3G, here's a summary of what I think having had it upgraded since Monday:

Pros:
    Everything is slicker and faster. Yes, the phone is running faster.
    Folders rock, no more pages and pages of apps.
    Consolidated inboxes are great, lets you work much quicker with your mail

Cons:
    Battery life has gone to ****. I would ordinarily charge mine every night anyway, so it's not a big deal. Before the upgrade, 30 minutes of radio streaming over 3G would usually drop my battery by about 5%. Having left the house this morning with battery @ 100% and listened to 30 minutes of radio, it's now at 83%. Going by the past few days, I can expect to be down to 30% by bedtime tonight - I would normally still have 70% left on an average day.

No other cons really - it's a minor upgrade for 3G users but the little improvements outweigh the one downfall. For me anyway. If you're heavy user who already has battery problems you could live without the minor upgrades.

The battery life on my 3G has gone very bad. Yesterday on the bus going to work I checked the usual news, Facebook, Twitter, played a few games, listened to music in the space of about 40 minutes - 1 hour and by 11am I had 20% battery left so had to do a charge. Up to the new upgrade the battery wasn't great anyway, I usually would have to charge by 4pm.
    The folders are great and consolidated inboxes. I've found the phone considerably slower than pre-upgrade, sending messages take a little longer to send. I think I might do a restore tonight to see if it does anything. I'm due an upgrade in a couple of months so I think I'll get the iPhone 4 then. I downloaded Guitar Hero and it's practically unplayable due to crashes and lags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭deep1

For all the people having trouble with battery, do a soft reset and if doesn't sort then restore as a new phone.
    I had a terrible battery after update and soft reset sorted it and now my battery is better than ever, for some people restore as a new phone sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭astonvanilla

the multitasking, although great in principle is flawed. surely minimizing all these apps is contributing heavily to decreased battery (mine draining about 2 to 3 times quicker).

would it have not been a better option to be able to close an app via the home button (thru either a triple click or a combination with a volume key) or more sensibly, allow the user to choose what apps they wish to keep open for multitasking. Most apps dont allow you to multitask yet anyway but they still sit there in tray after you close them.

they only apps I use for multitasking are tunein radio, twitter and messaging. it would make life so much easier if I could select that these are the only apps I want open.

deep1 wrote: »
    For all the people having trouble with battery, do a soft reset and if doesn't sort then restore as a new phone.
    I had a terrible battery after update and soft reset sorted it and now my battery is better than ever, for some people restore as a new phone sorted.

When you say soft reset, is this through: Settings/General/Reset ? I have already done this but to no avail. How do I reset as a new phone? And what am I going to lose on the phone when I do this?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

the multitasking, although great in principle is flawed. surely minimizing all these apps is contributing heavily to decreased battery (mine draining about 2 to 3 times quicker).

would it have not been a better option to be able to close an app via the home button (thru either a triple click or a combination with a volume key) or more sensibly, allow the user to choose what apps they wish to keep open for multitasking. Most apps dont allow you to multitask yet anyway but they still sit there in tray after you close them.

they only apps I use for multitasking are tunein radio, twitter and messaging. it would make life so much easier if I could select that these are the only apps I want open.

They're not running so they're not using battery.

The app switcher is just a list of recently-used apps. Not all apps listed are actually frozen in memory.

When the OS / other apps need more memory, the OS kills unused apps.

The user never, ever needs to manually kill an app. Just let the OS do it's thing and go about using the phone as you normally would.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Anyone with bad battery life after upgrading to 4.0, I would suggest a restore and setup as new rather than use a backup.

They're not running so they're not using battery.

The app switcher is just a list of recently-used apps. Not all apps listed are actually frozen in memory.

When the OS / other apps need more memory, the OS kills unused apps.

The user never, ever needs to manually kill an app. Just let the OS do it's thing and go about using the phone as you normally would.

What in your opinion would be the main contributor to the draining battery problem that exists? As I said earlier, my battery is going about 2 to 3 times quicker. It is even requiring a charge in the middle of the day, which it never did before.

Today alone, I have used the phone to send 2 text messages and a small bit of browsing on Safari and the battery is down to 77% from when it was taken from charge at 9am.

On refection I think the usability of multitasking won't really become obvious until more stuff is updated to take advantage of it.

WunderRadio - the one app I would use with multitasking doesn't work. (sadface)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

What in your opinion would be the main contributor to the draining battery problem that exists? As I said earlier, my battery is going about 2 to 3 times quicker. It is even requiring a charge in the middle of the day, which it never did before.

Today alone, I have used the phone to send 2 text messages and a small bit of browsing on Safari and the battery is down to 77% from when it was taken from charge at 9am.

I don't know. But, if you haven't already tried a restore, then give that a go. I generally do a restore with the major OS updates and never have any of the reported issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭deep1

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66588585&postcount=7
    Then use the phone as normal and let the battery die completely, and should see improvement.

... WunderRadio - the one app I would use with multitasking doesn't work. (sadface)

Tunein Radio does support it. My favourite app, supports streaming radio stations and podcasts.

• Advertisement

^^ Too rich for my blood, at €1.59. ;)

^^ Too rich for my blood, at €1.59. ;)

ditto for Wunder Radio! €5.49! :eek:

Already have it, though - so want it working!

Updated my 3G to iOS 4, Then jailbroke with redsn0w and unlocked with ultras0w.

Multitasking, backgrounds and battery percentage working perfectly on my 3G!!!

Thanks to apple for being a shower of C**ts and not supporting Multitasking on the 3G, even tho its blatantly possible and is working flawlessly on my 3G. Now to donate to the Dev team who rectified this. No i dont want to be forced to buy a iphone 4.

Lol at the edit to the code needed

Multitasking%203G.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Im running 3.1.2 do I have to upgrade to 3.1.3 then go on to ios4 or can I just go from 3.1.2?as I tried this with red sn0w and got stuck on the downloading jail break data screen on the iphone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

Anyone else having this problem with the mail app since updating to OS 4.0? I keep getting emails from 1970 and 2001 with nothing in them appearing in my inbox, but they dont appear in my gamil inbox when on the computer or mobile phone, just on my ipod touch. This never happened before going to OS 4.0 also. Im using gmail also. Its very strange and really annoying.

96e1a8b7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

fox007 wrote: »
    Im running 3.1.2 do I have to upgrade to 3.1.3 then go on to ios4 or can I just go from 3.1.2?as I tried this with red sn0w and got stuck on the downloading jail break data screen on the iphone.

Got that sorted I updated to 4.0 via itunes the jailbroke with red sn0w.now i launch cyida go to add repo666.ultrasn0w.com to unlock the phone it just comes up verifying url? anyone get this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭OCD

Can someone tell me what will I lose data-wise if I restore as new rather than restoring from backup? I know I can replace the music, apps, etc but will I lose every app setting, camera roll photos, email and game progress?

My (3g 16gb) battery is fubar since the ios4 upgrade and the phone is soooo slowwwww. Sorry I upgraded it now. Do I really need to restore from new just to get it working as fast as before and will it really make a difference??? Even unlocking the phone via the slider takes an age now.

Ta.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I couldn't use 3G on my 3G until I did a complete restore, and DIDN'T use the back up on iTunes. Get photos off it, and you will lose SMS messages. Everything else should be just a matter of synching again. Games I don't know about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

OCD wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what will I lose data-wise if I restore as new rather than restoring from backup? I know I can replace the music, apps, etc but will I lose every app setting, camera roll photos, email and game progress?

My (3g 16gb) battery is fubar since the ios4 upgrade and the phone is soooo slowwwww. Sorry I upgraded it now. Do I really need to restore from new just to get it working as fast as before and will it really make a difference??? Even unlocking the phone via the slider takes an age now.

Ta.

Yes everything you mentioned will be lost. I would suggest you backup your camera roll if you want the photos.

I just upgraded my old 3G to 4.0 and set it up as new and it is working just fine.

Advertisement