Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What speed do you do on the motorway?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

sheffield_mobile1.jpg

Here's a sample from the UK of whats to come in October, and they wont be marked in bright yellow. Oh no, not here hidden in a ditch! LOLtongue.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.giftongue.gif Cheers to ANPR, designed and built to catch speeders!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

whats funny about that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭CaraFawn

jock101 wrote: »
    sheffield_mobile1.jpg

Here's a sample from the UK of whats to come in October, and they wont be marked in bright yellow. Oh no, not here hidden in a ditch! LOLtongue.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.giftongue.gif Cheers to ANPR, designed and built to catch speeders!:D

Cool we can stop to bring them home now ;)
    We might see some of these on eBay at some stage after October lol...

Not getting a speeding ticket in the UK is a miracle, there are speed camera and average speed stuff all over the country, even on the country side...

What is this thing going to change? Like if there was not enough of those cameras already...

Mmmm??? There mobile with the operator sitting in a unmarked car or van 10 metres or so away down a lane or street. Ive seen them being tested on the N2 near Slane a few months ago!

• Advertisement

Mmmm??? There mobile with the operator sitting in a unmarked car or van 10 metres or so away down a lane or street. Ive seen them being tested on the N2 near Slane a few months ago!

Ok random speed checks.
    What's new?
    What is different between this thing and a cop hidding behind a bush with a speed gun?
    This one does pictures? Oh well, we are screwed anyway if we got speeding, speed gun or not, picture or not.

It also checks in realtime for Road Tax, Insurance etc... from your reg plate.

spaceball.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Driving that slowly on the motorway is LESS safe.
    People doing that speed are a truck drivers nightmare, what they tend to do is speed up then slam on the brakes then take off again, leaving a trail of angry truckers behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

That so called backward hole is giving you a living, more then the MEGA backward hole you came from. So dont be so quick to bite the hand that feeds you!:rolleyes:
    Ha ha, jock, relax, I was joking...the predominant theory from a lot of people on boards.ie seems to be that Everything Is Better in Britain (especially when it comes to motoring), while I know from experience that in reality only Some Things Are Better in Britain but a whole lot of others aren't, just like any other country. Didn't mean to offend your sensibilities or anything :) The 'backward hole' comment was aimed at the fact that they are still stubbornly cling to MPH, a standing joke in my office where I keep talking about KPH to wind them up while they keep referring to drunken Irishmen and Guinness. Light-hearted banter and nothing more.

As for the new speed cameras, a step backward IMO (not just because I speed).

The M25 is a Motorway where for most of the day you are lucky to reach 50 mph, sometimes even 15 mph is good going while on the M11, there are stretches when road conditions, weather and traffic conditions are so good that if you overtake a police car at 85 mph, the officer doesn't bat an eyelid. At other times you would get pulled over for that speed, hence my earlier comment about the speed I drive at on Motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Depends on where the motorway is. I have never came across a speed trap in Clare where I live, and If I'm going into Limerick on the motorway I'd happily do 150/160. If there is a greater chance of getting caught, I'd go around 135.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

People doing that speed are a truck drivers nightmare, what they tend to do is speed up then slam on the brakes then take off again, leaving a trail of angry truckers behind them.
    Is the speed limit for trucks not 80km/h?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭anneboleyn

hmmmm would say whatever the limit is ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Cruise control set at 125k

Same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Adam Selene

About 150kph in the Micra.:D

Tis scuttering all over the road at that shpeed;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

these figures are before my change to a peugot partner with a 120km/h top speed

9am-1am
    M1 - 130
    M50 - 120
    M4 - 120

1am-5am
    M1 - 160 have done a few runs over that but lets not talk about that here
    M50 - 140
    M4 - 130

(all this was in a Kia sorento 2.5td , if i had a faster jeep those figures may have altered a bit)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I crawl along at 120-130kmph .

Sorry 130-145 kpmh as I was in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

dynamick wrote: »
    Is the speed limit for trucks not 80km/h?
    Yes sir it is, but the issue is these guys often slow to below 80km/h forcing us to slow down to less than that, and it takes a while to get a fully loaded truck back up to 80km/h, especially if they slow us down approaching a hill.
    Its an annoying factor of driving a truck, ask any trucker what his pet hate on a motorway is and I'm sure he will mention what some of us call kangaroo drivers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

But now I've got the wheels properly balanced and its smooth till 120kmph atleast so I can get out of the loser lane out from the micras....

My micra is quite happy doing 130-140 thank you very much!
    Loser lane, my backside!

Advertisement