Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What speed do you do on the motorway?

Options
  • 19-06-2010 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

Hi All.

I'm just wondering, I'm on the M3 and M1 at least once a week.

I generally do around the 140 KPH mark.

At this speed, I've regularly been passed by the gards doing faster, and they dont seem to mind.

What speed do you do, and more importantly what speed have you been caught speeding at on the motorway.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Minimum 130 which on sat nav is about 122km. When i get bored i go to 140 to keep myself awake and alert. Otherwise it just becomes so tiring follwoing a car for 80 km or so.

Obviously there have been times when i've just wanted to see how fast my car could go, so on a downhill motorway i maxed out my 1.4 golf at 195kmph which is probably realistically 180-185kmph. ( 115 mph)

Best thing i think to do is keep moving overtaking etc. Keeps you alert and awake and actually interested in the driving your doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭frank gooding

Not wrong about the boredom on the motorway's

Doesn't take long for the sleepy eyes to come on.

Had to stop on the new KK road recently.

Generaly keep around 130 try to keep under 140.

Although this will all have to change when they privatise the speed cameras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

around 130 on your speedo is probably about 120 in reality and no less safe than a slightly slower speed. I imagine a gard would ignore you going a little faster (but a gatso van wont...)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I usually set the cruise control to 130km/h. I've passed plenty of speed trapss at this speed and I've never been stopped or received any fines/points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭CaraFawn

Depends what's on the front really, if there is a RS4 like today in front of me, I was doing 180 Km/h right behind it.
    I can't help it, I am like a rabit running after a carrot :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,151 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cruise control at 140 (indicates as 139 on satnav), twice so far I've not noticed a speed trap till I was on top of / beyond it and not been stopped. Only realised one was a trap when they came after an English reg MPV that passed me a bit further on at 160+!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

CaraFawn wrote: »
    Depends what's on the front really, if there is a RS4 like today in front of me, I was doing 180 Km/h right behind it.

haha sign my arse for it aswell :D. If some one just flies by, i like to chase then a bit! :p Now before someone will throw a handbag with " tailgater " written on it, i will say that i leave loads and loads of room! :p

Ussually i just like to stick to 130km/h in some convoy.

haha sign my arse for it aswell :D. If some one just flies by, i like to chase then a bit! :p Now before someone will throw a handbag with " tailgater " written on it, i will say that i leave loads and loads of room! :p

Ussually i just like to stick to 130km/h in some convoy.

Yep same here ;)
    I thought I was sick :o
    I feel better now :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

on the M50 i do 100 kmh.
    Because its the LAW. Only joking I do 100kmh (in the left lane of course!) because my little
    car sucks and starts to shake like a washing machine once I go beyond that :)

If i was going on a longer journey i'd drive the wifes car and do about 130.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

pedal to the metal for me :D

(my yoke does 123 km/h top speed ...actually I don't go pedal to the metal, instead I try to cruise at about 100 ...it's called mechanical sympathy)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Cruise control set at 125k

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

cruise set at 120...any faster and my fuel needle drops in real time (a 2.8 paj is a thirsty girl!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Been on the motorway only a couple of times.
    I drove at around 100kmph. Pushed it upto 140kmph on a couple of occasions but at that speed the car felt like its about to fall apart so had to bring it back down to 100kmph.
    But now I've got the wheels properly balanced and its smooth till 120kmph atleast so I can get out of the loser lane out from the micras....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Around 100 on the M50, sometimes creeping up to 120 but my car would feel like it's about to lift off into space at that speed!

Last time I was in a rental I was up to 160 before I knew it, that car rocked! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Generally on motoways, I drive as fast as conditions and traffic will allow. If that's 75 mph then that's fine, if it's over 100 mph then that's cool too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Generally on motorways, I drive as fast as conditions and traffic will allow. If that's 75 mph then that's fine, if it's over 100 mph then that's cool too.

Here, whats all this mph malarkey? Its all KMH now, you've been away too long :D

I travel in on the M2 each morning and home on the M1 in the evening. I generally stick to 140 but will push to 160 if in a rush as I kinda see 160 as being the difference between getting the book thrown at you or not. If i'm really fecked and need to get somewhere yesterday then i'll let it go to 180, but generally spend the next month convinced that I passed 3 gatsos and the summons' are on the way.

As a point of note actually, the difference between the M1 and M2 is like night and day. On the M2 even in rush hour traffic is very light and slower cars happily stick to the left lane, whereas the M1 doesn't give much opportunity to get a bit of speed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

no more than 100k. safety first for me

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

You wont do driving at those speeds from October on! Privatised Gatso Mobile Units are being deployed from October this year. So it will be shooting fish in a barrel for the Company with the license, and you can bet they will target the Motorways and dual carriageways!:pac:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/speed-cameras-not-to-raise-revenue-121260.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

no more than 100k. safety first for me

Driving that slowly on the motorway is LESS safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I use the m8 a bit and normally set the cruise at 160. Ive never being stopped. I cant understand why because i know a few people who have been caught on the old road speeding. Turns out to be an expensive toll dodge:D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭RobertM

Usually around 120-130 on the M1 and 95-100 on the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I'm usually guilty of speeding,been caught once alrite on the motorway.Was clocked at 155kph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

CaraFawn wrote: »

if thats the Rs4 we met on SUnday he must be well pee'd off....we passed him out whilst putting on a show for an interested biker , not bad for a 33 yr old car...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

delly wrote: »
    Here, whats all this mph malarkey? Its all KMH now, you've been away too long :D
    Yup, when I left Ireland the speed limits were still mph and it's still mph in this backward hole they call 'England' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I crawl along at 120-130kmph .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

since I got my new car I cant seem to do 100kmph anymore only 120kmph - must be the comfort of the car. So on motorway I was cruising happily - 120 and with kids in back wil not speed too much above it. I like to move on, hate being stuck behind sunday drivers!! Might move it up a notch next time to 130 seeing as no one is getting caught at that speed!!

If you ask me, the faster I drive, the more alert I am. I can't do slow driving - I get tired!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Yup, when I left Ireland the speed limits were still mph and it's still mph in this backward hole they call 'England' :D

That so called backward hole is giving you a living, more then the MEGA backward hole you came from. So dont be so quick to bite the hand that feeds you!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Generally between 120 and 140, around 130. A friend of mine was recently stopped on the M8 for doing 136km/h between junctions 9 and 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

If I'm making a concious effort to conserve fuel, I'll do 120. When I'm bored or in a hurry, I'll find someone doing 130/135 and I'll tail them.

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    if thats the Rs4 we met on SUnday he must be well pee'd off....we passed him out whilst putting on a show for an interested biker , not bad for a 33 yr old car...

Hu?
    It was an Audi RS4, same model and color as the one below.
    The car was Irish, but with a yellow reg on the rear. I don't get that, that must be on purpose just to piss off customs :rolleyes:

P1020563.jpg

Advertisement