Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭Banbridgeman2

Not happy at all with the team, the continued selection of Murray is baffling and will cost us the game! Similarly we better pray ROG doesn't have to come on!! I'd also argue that POM is overrated and very underpowered at this level and will severely limit our backrow. Henderson, Cave and Reddan should all be starting. Jackson should be on bench and Kilcoyne not in 22 (if Healy goes down game over), Marshall should be on bench and so should Touhy

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Henderson and Kilcoyne around the 60m mark will give us a lot of impact. Can't wait to see them along with Strauss, McCarthy and Henry starting

I think DOC will make an impact as well if he continues his current form. I think he'll be much more valuable against them than Tuohy would be. We're going to need to be very sharp defensively because I'd imagine this will be a very tight, fairly low scoring game

Tuohy should be ahead of him against most other teams though. I hope this isn't a return to the old trend (although obviously McCarthy starting would suggest it isn't).

Funny how all the calls I disagree with (Zebo, Murray, POM, O'Gara, DOC) are all Munster players, I feel all 5 have no claim whatsoever over their ulster (and leinster as well in case of Murray) counterparts the only one close is doc and Touhy

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Henderson and Kilcoyne around the 60m mark will give us a lot of impact. Can't wait to see them along with Strauss, McCarthy and Henry starting

There's a lot to look forward to Saturday. I just hope Kidney has rehtought his gameplan ideas along with his selection policy

It's been said countless times here before, but tends to get lost in the noise around selection time. The issue is not selection 9 times out of 10. With most/all players fit it's pretty much a straight forward job. The issue has really been the game plan. And we'll only really see how far we've come on Saturday.

I'd take a 1-3 point loss if I saw a game plan that I could buy into. With the injuries and changes in coaching structure I don't expect a perfect performance by any means. Game plans can take time to bed down, especially when the personnel change so drastically in such a short time. But movement in the right direction would be something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Delighted for McCarthy well deserved the on form 2nd row this year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Funny how all the calls I disagree with (Zebo, Murray, POM, O'Gara, DOC) are all Munster players, I feel all 5 have no claim whatsoever over their ulster (and leinster as well in case of Murray) counterparts the only one close is doc and Touhy

yawn....

Zebo has no claim whatsoever for his place? You need to watch more rugby if you think that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

molloyjh wrote: »
    It's been said countless times here before, but tends to get lost in the noise around selection time. The issue is not selection 9 times out of 10. With most/all players fit it's pretty much a straight forward job. The issue has really been the game plan. And we'll only really see how far we've come on Saturday.

I'd take a 1-3 point loss if I saw a game plan that I could buy into. With the injuries and changes in coaching structure I don't expect a perfect performance by any means. Game plans can take time to bed down, especially when the personnel change so drastically in such a short time. But movement in the right direction would be something.

+1

Result doesn't bother me. What matters is that we approach the game from a fresh perspective

Munster have highest representation of the big 3 while Ulster have lowest. Hardly a team picked on form. I will be glad when Kidney is gone. It's hardly Munsters fault but up my end a lot of people are getting visibly annoyed at the current munster bias in the Irish set up. It's gone from admiration to hostility. I just think its so unfair, don't care what players take to the field as long as they are the best and that just isn't happening!!!

yawn....

Zebo has no claim whatsoever for his place? You need to watch more rugby if you think that.
    Really what performance at 15 this season sealed it for you?

He played fullback in school I think! :D

Look it's a concern alright but I think it's more refreshing that Kidney is actually trying things for once.
    it's a Shane he won't 'try' things with other provinces players. Why does he only 'try' things with Munster players? I guess the ulster lads, like the Leinster lads, will have to wait for injury get their chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Delighted for McCarthy, well deserved pick.

Ill reserved judgement of zebo at FB until after the game, I dont think its a good idea to play someone not used to playing there v SA. Not alot of options outside that but earls imo shoudl be there with cave at 13. I can see why it could work though so lets see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

yawn....

Zebo ahead of Trimble on the wing would have been a fair decision but Zebo has never played a senior game at FB for Munster or Munster A. Some AIL supposedly but thats a good while ago.

If henshaw played for Munster he would probably have gotten a chance

If henshaw played for Munster he would probably have gotten a chance

Agred

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Bit more to playing FB than being good under the high ball. Obviously hope he has a great game, but this is one gamble I'd rather Kidney didn't take, especially against the boks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Munster have highest representation of the big 3 while Ulster have lowest. Hardly a team picked on form. I will be glad when Kidney is gone. It's hardly Munsters fault but up my end a lot of people are getting visibly annoyed at the current munster bias in the Irish set up.

agree 100 % , Kidney is still living in the world where Munster were kings of Europe - I still get the fealing he would like to select the Munster team en bloc - and this current Munster team are worse than Ulster and Leinster and on par with Connaught - the sooner Kidney is gone, the sooner I can enjoy watching ireland again

I'm done talking about this, apologies to Court, Hagan, Touhy, Henderson, Reddan, Marshall, Jackson, Madigan, Cave, Henshaw unfortunately you play for the wrong club unlike Kilcoyne, Archer, DOC, POM, Murray, O'Gara,, Zebo and Hurley :(

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/20226558

wish he'd let us remember these times and not current times

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

With SA's penchant for kicking the leather off the ball, this will be a trial-by-fire for Zebo. However, all we can do now is hope he lives up to the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 What The?

thebaz wrote: »
    agree 100 % , Kidney is still living in the world where Munster were kings of Europe - I still get the fealing he would like to select the Munster team en bloc - and this current Munster team are worse than Ulster and Leinster and on par with Connaught - the sooner Kidney is gone, the sooner I can enjoy watching ireland again

Is your enjoyment of Irish rugby really linked to just 1 man? If we play great rugby on Saturday and win is that not enjoyable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Munster have highest representation of the big 3 while Ulster have lowest.

Leinster have six starters and four on the bench. Munster have five starters and three on the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

delighted to see McCarthy's excellent form over 3 seasons finally rewarded.
    Not too bothered by Zebo selection as i think Bowe is more effective at 14 drifting in off the wing and zebo on paper has the fielding & kicking game for 15.
    Murray at 9 - disagree with as it will result in Sexton receiving slow service.
    Earls is 25 now - time to act like an elder statesman on the pitch, we need to see a lot of agression from him.
    POM - agree with a poster above, i dont think he has the physicallity for international rugby, especially not for SA, as a carrier he'd be best used carrying out wide.
    good to see Kilcoyne & Henderson on bench, DOC & ROG can be justified there for their experience.

I'd have started McLaughin at 6 & McFadden at 12.

I've seen zebo play AIL twice, both times on wing. Scanlon was 15 for Con last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

What The? wrote: »
    Is your enjoyment of Irish rugby really linked to just 1 man? If we play great rugby on Saturday and win is that not enjoyable?

the time for Kidney to go was after the last WC defeat to Wales.

For the quality of players available he is way out of his depth, taking Ireland sideways, if not downwards, has known favourites within the setup , which are out of date at this stage - so yeah , down to one man

Quint2010 wrote: »

Leinster have six starters and four on the bench. Munster have five starters and three on the bench
    They are still more represented than ulster which is a joke! There should be 2 Munster starters with 2 on the bench

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Alright, final post on this thread until after the sh*tstorm dies down on Monday.

Zebo will be grand. I'd rather he was tried against Fiji first but there you go.

I'm disappointed that Cave isn't being tried at 13; Earls is a very good 13 but I just think he's getting all the breaks from DK; as Thornley put it last night, "there's been a huge investment in Earls", the last time I heard that it was in relation to Tony Buckley... But Earls will be fine.

Murray; if he's there to "keep it physical" we're going to lose, that SA pack is enormous while ours is not, and if the ball isn't whipped away quickly we're going to get devoured.

I like the back-row; it has a good balance and I'm delighted for Henry to finally get a decent shot. Glad to see POM at 6 rather than 7 and Henderson coming off the bench will be exciting (if it happens).

Strauss is going to be a big hit in green over the next few years, if he and Best can spur each other on to be better players then we're well set for hookers.

Finally, what a day for Jamie Heaslip. Gets a fair bit of stick for his yellow boots and his sometimes ridiculous media appearances but he's been a great captain for Leinster and he'll do a great job for Ireland.

As much as I've p*ssed and moaned about the likely selections over the past week (and I maintain my position), this is the most excited I've been about an Ireland game in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭bilston

They are still more represented than ulster which is a joke! There should be 2 Munster starters with 2 on the bench

Calm down Banbridgeman. Tuohy is unlucky but the other calls have logic to them, whether you agree with it or not is another matter.

The pack looks quite mean the more you look at it Strauss McCarthy Henry will all bring aggression

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

Murray at 9 is a joke. The problem is Deccie will stick that out for 60 mins until the game is lost. THEN he will take Murray off, put Reddan on and most likely take Sexton off with him. Then we'll have good service but no distributor and a turnstile at 10!

Kidney regularly avoids playing Reddan and Sexton because it works and would be a cast iron no brainer. His CLEAR provincial bias is getting beyond a joke now. Munster struggle to compete now in Europe and as a result their players do not play at the Ulster/Leinster level. If Kidney is not sacked soon the Ireland will suffer too!

Glad to see McCarthy and Henry get a look in and very happy to see Heaslip given the armband. Front row looks solid too. POM is a big weakness and I think the Boks know that too. Earls at 13 will be a defensive weakness and I can see a lot of ball being trucked down his channel. Lets just hope be brings his hands with him on Saturday too!

Zebo at 15.......well the Boks will hang it over him all day long and if he can field it there should be no worries...however that's a big enough IF!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

While it's great that Kilcoyne and Henderson are on the bench, I'd be surprised if they get on for any reasonable amount of time or at all whether we're winning or losing. Not that they aren't capable but I have no faith in Kidney

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

LeftBase wrote: »
    Kidney regularly avoids playing Reddan and Sexton because it works and would be a cast iron no brainer. His CLEAR provincial bias is getting beyond a joke now. Munster struggle to compete now in Europe and as a result their players do not play at the Ulster/Leinster level. If Kidney is not sacked soon the Ireland will suffer too!

I think the problem is that with a Redden Sexton 9/10 axis they play like Leinster do and Kidinme is afraid that he'll be sued if the Ireland team try Leinstertainment :eek::eek::eek:;);)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement