Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I actually don't think NZ did prepare much for ROG coming on, at least not as much as they will if he starts next week.

They cruised the first test but they have been given a fright and they will be well up for next week. ROG starts at 10 and they will target it as part of their gameplan.

I would be absolutely stunned if they put in as much prep. for him coming off the bench as they will if he starts on Saturday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

jm08 wrote: »
    I'd say its more down to Sexton not having any great competition at 10 up to recently as to why he always starts there. And Leinster has plenty of centres.

In the Pro12 semi final Leinster had a choice of putting Sexton to 12 or Mads. They picked Madigan
    Pretty much every commentator disagrees with you there. Even Shane Horgan was suggesting that D'Arcy be dropped in the 6Ns and Sexton be moved to 12 with O'Gara at 10.

Good for them. I disagree with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    jmo8, you're basically championing ROG starting under the guise of accommodating Madigan in the future. it's all very fan boyish

Nope. I would prefer if Sexton started at 10 with D'Arcy at 12, but I can't have that. I think it has worked well with O'Gara coming on for the last 25 mins or so, with Sexton moving to 12. I don't want either McFadden or Wallace starting at 12 against the ABs - hopefully Earls is fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Most posters don't want Sexton moved to 12 as it will mean that ROG will be playing. Were there another option to play at 10, we'd see much less resistance to him being shifted aside.

Most posters don't want Sexton moved to 12 as it will mean that ROG will be playing. Were there another option to play at 10, we'd see much less resistance to him being shifted aside.

No.

Just No.

Sexton is our best out half.

He is average cover at first centre.

If we had two Johnny Sextons, and no ROG, and Paddy Wallace was available, I'd pick Sexton 10, Wallace 12, and Sexton #2 would be on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Most posters don't want Sexton moved to 12 as it will mean that ROG will be playing. Were there BETTER option to play at 10, we'd see much less resistance to him being shifted aside.

Fyp

Fyp

I wouldn't agree there either.

If we had Dan Carter and Sexton, we'd start with Carter at 10, Wallace at 12 and Sexton on the bench.

As summarised excellently earlier.

Sexton is a better 10 than any other option. Start him there.
    Wallace is a better 12 than any other option, including Sexton. Start him there.

I don't want to see a Madigan/Sexton midfield at Leinster (and I ****ing love Madigan). And I imagine I won't.

Wallace is almost certain to be involved if he's flying out anyway though I suppose that could be on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Is Earls fit again?

If so he will be starting at 12/13, sadly.

Wallace is there to bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Fyp

I wouldn't agree there either.

If we had Dan Carter and Sexton, we'd start with Carter at 10, Wallace at 12 and Sexton on the bench.

As summarised excellently earlier.

Sexton is a better 10 than any other option. Start him there.
    Wallace is a better 12 than any other option, including Sexton. Start him there.

I would agree with that to an extent but I think sexton could be a better 12 than Wallace IF and it's a big if, he wasnt the best 10 in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Teferi wrote: »
    Is Earls fit again?

If so he will be starting at 12/13, sadly.

Wallace is there to bench.

Why 'sadly'? I thought he was very good in the first test.

Otacon wrote: »
    Why 'sadly'? I thought he was very good in the first test.

Because he is a very natural and fantastic winger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

...who is more than competent at centre, where we need him at the moment.

I am certainly not sad to see him line out at centre.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I don't want to see a Madigan/Sexton midfield at Leinster (and I ****ing love Madigan). And I imagine I won't.

As a Munster fan, I hope you're right.

SOB was a brilliant 6, but that hasn't stopped him adjusting and becoming a top 7.

Otacon wrote: »
    ...who is more than competent at centre, where we need him at the moment.

I am certainly not sad to see him line out at centre.

Fair enough but he is wasted there and it weakens our team overall.

SOB was a brilliant 6, but that hasn't stopped him adjusting and becoming a top 7.

Yes, which he done over an entire season.

Earls needs more time at centre before he will be more than okay there.

If we are looking for a win in the final test then I don't believe that is the place to do it.

Fair enough but he is wasted there and it weakens our team overall.

Weakens us how? Our other options are Cave, McFadden, Sexton and Wallace (jetlagged and lacking gametime). None of those players are better than Earls in the centre.

Yes, which he done over an entire season.

Earls needs more time at centre before he will be more than okay there.

If we are looking for a win in the final test then I don't believe that is the place to do it.

Just as Earls has played nearly all his rugby this year in the centre? I don't think he has even lined up once on the wing since the WorldCup.

• Advertisement

Weakens us how? Our other options are Cave, McFadden, Sexton and Wallace (jetlagged and lacking gametime). None of those players are better than Earls in the centre.

Well, Cave has had 7 minutes of rugby, Wallace wasn't brought, Sexton shouldn't even be considered for centre and McFadden has only ever played on the wrong side of the centre for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I really would quite like to see Earls/BOD again.

However, I think Wallace at 12 and Earls on the wing would be much better than Earls at 12 and McFadden or Zebo on the wing. So thats the deciding factor for me.

Just as Earls has played nearly all his rugby this year in the centre? I don't think he has even lined up once on the wing since the WorldCup.

he's had one game at 12 this season.

First centre and second centre are miles different.

If you're suggesting moving BOD to 12, that weakens our team.

It weakens us because like the first test instead of having a wing of Earls and Trimble we end up with a wing of Zebo and McFadden.

McFadden would at least be comfortable in between Sexton and BOD. Cave is an unknown at this level but shows a lot of promise. Wallace is a professional rugby player who was playing in the Heineken Cup less than a month ago. I'd suggest him to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

However, I think Wallace at 12 and Earls on the wing would be much better than Earls at 12 and McFadden or Zebo on the wing. So thats the deciding factor for me.

This, pretty much.

he's had one game at 12 this season.

First centre and second centre are miles different.

If you're suggesting moving BOD to 12, that weakens our team.
    BOD and Earls were pretty interchangeable in the first test.

I agree completely with that reasoning, but considering the circumstances, I feel its too big an ask for Wallace to slot in seamlessly.

I agree completely with that reasoning, but considering the circumstances, I feel its too big an ask for Wallace to slot in seamlessly.
    I'm just taking it for granted that Wallace is good to go.

I think he is as well. He would have known he'd be needed and its not like he's been out of the game for 6 months. Plus he's made a career out if being able to slide in and out of the team.

Also Earls is coming back from an injury, Wallace is healthy... So they cancel out somewhat.

BOD and Earls were pretty interchangeable in the first test.

I don't think that's true at all, very rarely (if at all) did Earls line up at 12 in attack or defence. I presume the plan was to use his pace outside.

• Advertisement

Wallace is a professional rugby player who had an utterly fantastic season and played in some of the most intense club rugby matches possible this year. He'll be able to slot in seamlessly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement