Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Haybob

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

If we ever get haybob season I must experiment :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

moy83 wrote: »
    If we ever get haybob season I must experiment :D

You can throw the row over a bit to one side too onto dry ground as opposed to throwing it straight onto the line it was knocked on.

Waiting this couple of weeks to knock silage and it's still standing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Bizzum wrote: »
    Waiting this couple of weeks to knock silage and it's still standing!

What are you waiting for?! It's only going to start rotting at the butt. This is as good as it gets. You play the cards you are dealt.

30-50mm of rain forecast from tomorrow on for the rest of the week and into next weekend! That'I be three weeks late for you! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

Cut silage Friday, got pi**ed on Saturday. Left it on ground while Tipp beat Cork Sunday:D. Ranked it up with haybob Monday afternoon, baled it Monday night.
    My mower is a 2.2m(8'approx). Haybob only just gets 2 swarths. I have to be really careful first run, but once together, no probs. I sometimes go opposite directions, with gates angled and put 4 swarths into one for baler, but usually find it too much bother. They get it baled fine when you pull 2 together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gc1992

You should be able to row up to two 7ft drum mower swaths into one with a pz 300, with disc mower swaths you'll probably be only able to row up two 5'6ft swaths. I wouldn't advise shakeing out silage with a haybob, if the grass is anyway heavy or wet it will make huge lumps of it and balers don't like lumby rows!! Regarding rpm you should rev it to the full 540(1700rpm for a 135) for shakeing out, for rowing don't over rev it, make sure you turn the top link down and make sure it's picking the grass clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Conor556

Did you get a machine that did what you wanted?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FMJG83

eddiek wrote: »
    is it possible to row 2 rows into one for round baler silage with a haybob also what rpm for shaking out . using pz and mf135. thanks for any replies

What gear do you use in the 135 in for tedding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

Got a lend of a haybob. It's a MF one that the gate fold down from on top. What do you do. Drive same as was mowed or on top of grass. Do headlands then rest. Is it same for the other runs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

This thread is,nt half old,where,d ye dig this up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Dad rang me up on Friday all pleased with himself that he ran over the rows with the hay bob. It was a balls of a job. Lumpy rows and got 15 bales to the acre where the should have been 12.
    Auld lads! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

reilig wrote: »
    Edit: Just looked ta the picture on the connor website and it show one trying to throw a silage swart to one side. Looks like a fail!

I've used one of these on a farm I helped out on for a few summers. The idea of throwing it to the side is to get it on dry ground to continue drying. In the photo you can see clearly that the ground is damp underneath were the swarth is being picked up. It's also rotating the crop coming out of the door and in doing so putting the damper stuff from the bottom on top.

Took me a minute to figure it out but they haven't put the swather on square to the tractor in order to get it to kick more to the side - maybe that is causing what looks to be it not picking up cleanly, although it looks fairly good in te subsequent photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭Follow the Plan

What RPM do ye run the Haybob at? 540 is going too hard for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,482 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Dad rang me up on Friday all pleased with himself that he ran over the rows with the hay bob. It was a balls of a job. Lumpy rows and got 15 bales to the acre where the should have been 12.

Sure what can ya do with them

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

What RPM do ye run the Haybob at? 540 is going too hard for me.

You put it into the 540 PTO speed, as for engine RPM you don't need to be up at 1894RPM, 1500ish should be fine, depends on the crop and terrain..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Absolutely..sure here we are just learned to walk and we know it all.. No harm to keep in mind if it all goes to plan we will be auld lads one day and our kids will say exactly the same about us.. It's the way it's always been :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭amacca

Out of interest could you ted out and row up silage with a rake

I'm fairly sure thats what a local contractor around here does with a single rotor kuhn

Think I seen him making hay for lads one year with a single rotor rake too - all shook and rowed with the same machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

amacca wrote: »

I'm fairly sure thats what a local contractor around here does with a single rotor kuhn

Think I seen him making hay for lads one year with a single rotor rake too - all shook and rowed with the same machine.

No, single rotor will only ever rake, you could turn the swarths over and over but all that would do is make a rope out of them.

Zr105 wrote: »
    No, single rotor will only ever rake, you could turn the swarths over and over but all that would do is make a rope out of them.

Fair enough….thats exactly what I thought, I'm still nearly sure he does this though

When tedding theres no side gate

And (obviously I suppose) when he's rowing the side gate is down.

How the hell does he manage it? I'm nearly positive I never see him use anything other than a single rotor?????????

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Yes it's possible. Just start in the middle of the field, make a small row in the middle of the field. Then Keep driving around that row turning in the grass until you end up at the edge of the field. This leaves an empty bit of ground around the perimeter of the field(no grass on it)

If you want to turn it again you drive in the opposite direction on the outside of the field so that the rake turns the grass back out onto the empty ground. Just keep driving round the field untill you end up in the middle with it all turned out.

It's easy enough to do. Hope you understand what I'm saying.

Fair enough….thats exactly what I thought, I'm still nearly sure he does this though

When tedding theres no side gate

And (obviously I suppose) when he's rowing the side gate is down.

How the hell does he manage it? I'm nearly positive I never see him use anything other than a single rotor?????????
    I dont know, even with the side curtain up it'll still only rake, it just leaves a slightly messier swarth... The way they work the tines swing up at a certain point(about 3o'clock if you were looking down on it and it was one that raked to the right) and drop off the grass,

The only way i can think that he'd be doing it is adjusting the cam position so it drops in a different place and is revving the balls out of it to get it to throw the grass out :(

• Advertisement

rushvalley wrote: »
    Yes it's possible. Just start in the middle of the field, make a small row in the middle of the field. Then Keep driving around that row turning in the grass until you end up at the edge of the field. This leaves an empty bit of ground around the perimeter of the field(no grass on it)

If you want to turn it again you drive in the opposite direction on the outside of the field so that the rake turns the grass back out onto the empty ground. Just keep driving round the field untill you end up in the middle with it all turned out.

It's easy enough to do. Hope you understand what I'm saying.

Thats only really turning the swarth over tho, not really gona make a great job of it at that...

Unless he's using a lely rotonde.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Unless he's using a lely rotonde.

Nope, he's definitely not using one of those.

Main reason I ask above natural curiosity is I'm thinking of doing my own cutting and tedding/raking next year (about 40 acres and hopefully around 25 per annum after) and am trying to figure out whats the best most cost effective, maintenance/trouble free as possible bit of machinery for the job.

I'd be going for baled silage most years (it works for me at the moment) and the crop would be heavy enough……………. hay would be very nice to get when conditions allow also

Its looking like an old style or even an actual old hay bob would be the best solution - it'll ted and row….. but something in me keeps thinking there might be a better solution out there

What do people make of the lely lotus? - would it no be suitable for heavier meadow?……

Nope, he's definitely not using one of those.

Main reason I ask above natural curiosity is I'm thinking of doing my own cutting and tedding/raking next year (about 40 acres and hopefully around 25 per annum after) and am trying to figure out whats the best most cost effective, maintenance/trouble free as possible bit of machinery for the job.

I'd be going for baled silage most years (it works for me at the moment) and the crop would be heavy enough……………. hay would be very nice to get when conditions allow also

Its looking like an old style or even an actual old hay bob would be the best solution - it'll ted and row….. but something in me keeps thinking there might be a better solution out there

What do people make of the lely lotus? - would it no be suitable for heavier meadow?……
    Might be the best job for that acreage as it would take ya an age to work 25 acres with a haybob. Lotus has a price tag but it's a once off and double jobs but if it's broken you have nothing tho.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Might be the best job for that acreage as it would take ya an age to work 25 acres with a haybob. Lotus has a price tag but it's a once off and double jobs but if it's broken you have nothing tho.

ah…….my dad had a hay bob or two, he's all on for me getting another one too…I wasn't sure if i was resisting just because we had one before or not:D

Can the springs (that pick up the grass) on the end of the lotus reels be replaced if they break do you know?

I remember replacing springs on our hay bob and helping my dad replace a main gear on top of one of the hay bob reels when I was young. Is a lotus out for good if something like this goes on them?

ah…….my dad had a hay bob or two, he's all on for me getting another one too…I wasn't sure if i was resisting just because we had one before or not:D

Can the springs (that pick up the grass) on the end of the lotus reels be replaced if they break do you know?

I remember replacing springs on our hay bob and helping my dad replace a main gear on top of one of the hay bob reels when I was young. Is a lotus out for good if something like this goes on them?

The tines are easy replaced, well a bit fidly but only need 2 spanners, the little plate that holds them in position is also available on shelf in most places but rarely go. Actually to be fair the lely rarely brake tines anyways because of the way they work! Far less that a haybob would anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Zr105 wrote: »
    Thats only really turning the swarth over tho, not really gona make a great job of it at that...

Works fairly well with an old side Turner. I'd be thinking a single rotor rake would be able to do it too seen as they operate more or less the same way...could be wrong though as there's no single rotor rakes in my area.

rushvalley wrote: »
    Works fairly well with an old side Turner. I'd be thinking a single rotor rake would be able to do it too seen as they operate more or less the same way...could be wrong though as there's no single rotor rakes in my area.

They do turn it over but not as good as a haybob so couldn't see them doing as good a job as one tho

Advertisement