Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling the Grand Canal

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

I also cycled the Grand Canal this year with similar times to KieranO, I used a hybrid Giant Escape 1 http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2013.giant.escape.1/11838/58056/

Didn't have any punctures but a couple of things to note:
    - Mostly the surface is tough on your hands, use gel cushioned gloves.
    - Just before Robertstown I went on the wrong side and this took a lot of time and effort.

I would recommend using Open Street Map to check if in doubt, if you have an Android smartphone then you can use OSMAND for offline use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KieranO

I used a 2009 Cube Ltd Race Pro, that's showing it's age, but I'd just got a new chainset so it was running fairly smoothly. It's a hardtail mountain bike, and I'd recommend front suspension for the reason Iamaq mentions above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Joshea79

Hi folks,

Just wondering what camping is like along the Grand Canal way. Will be starting from Lucan. I'm walking, but there seems to be more updated info on this thread, and was pointed in this direction.

Thank you for any help forthcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 iboard

Hello all,
    I'm here on a temp relocation assignment from Albuquerque, New Mexico. Just cycled the Grand Canal from Dublin to Shannon Harbour and back. Left Dublin at around noon Sat Jul 25th, spent the night at a B&B in Banagher (no occupancy in Shannon Harbour) and cycled back Sunday.
    I went at it solo, looking for some peace. I took my Focus cyclocross, a spare tube, a rain jacket, and my wallet. Nothing else. No major incidents on the road. I stopped at the Village at Lyons for lunch (posh place in Ardhclough. Met a couple from Vancouver, Canada walking towards Dublin near Sallins. I also met 2 cyclist from Ontario, Canda (believe it or not!) cycling towards Dublin in Edenderry. I saw countless people fishing, 2 or 3 tents, and lots of people walking their dogs. I'm assuming they were somewhere local to where I saw them.
    I stopped for a pizza in Edenderry and drank me 2 pints in Tullamore. I worried about getting there with enough daylight, so had to push the pace the last 30 or so kilometers. As I arrived in Shannon Harbour I punched the air with my fist, as if I had just won the Tour de France.
    The weather was spectacular on Saturday. Ireland is a beautiful country and you can see it better from a bike than from a car. All the docks and bridges are amazing and well preserved. The towns were neat, the fields were amazing, the livestock, the sky, the canal itself full with life. Everyone I met was very friendly.
    I knew I was in trouble when I woke to the sound of rain Sunday morning. I ate breakfast, filled my water bottle and headed back. The pouring rain made me change plans and came back on the road. Got to Lucan at around 5:30 pm, dead tired and shivering from the rain.
    It was a peaceful journey on the way there, but I'm taking a piece of the Grand Canal with me forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ishotjr2

Hi

I set off on Wednesday 25th October from Shannon Harbour at 14:30 and arrived in Tullamore around 17:30 and stayed in the Central hotel. I set off again at 9:00 the following day and arrived at 17:00 in Sallins.

Thoroughly enjoyed the cycle. You may be wondering why it took me so long, well, I have barely cycled anywhere for the last 15 years but I would be average or slightly above average fit as I do a lot of Hiking. I did it in a Hybrid with about 25Kg of gear. It was slow going around Edenderry as there was a lot of wet grass after being mowed. I would have to think that a mountain bike would make a better fist of it but it is possible for a complete novice to complete it on a Hybrid.

Autumn was a great season to do it I thought because of all the color. I met very few people and it was a great way to have a safe cycle and enjoy some nature. I did not get any punctures.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Possibly worth noting a number of sections of the Grand Canal between Dublin and Sallins are closed at present. According to the people I was talking to, all the unpaved sections are being given a crushed gravel surface, which is due to be in place by January. I had to divert at Hazelhatch and get back on after Lyons Estate, but the closures are moving around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,884 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

All the unpaved sections as in the 50+ km of grass paths you mean? Hope they dont make it unusable in doing so, I was on a MTB doing it and some of that crushed gravel I saw was very dodgy, the kind that can yank your steering 45 degress into the canal kind I mean. If its properly laid and flattened it can be nice though, seems to be the very old stuff that eventually turns nice, it weathers to powder on top and slowly settles into flat hardpacked surface, the new stuff can be horrible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Thargor wrote: »
    All the unpaved sections as in the 50+ km of grass paths you mean? Hope they dont make it unusable in doing so, I was on a MTB doing it and some of that crushed gravel I saw was very dodgy, the kind that can yank your steering 45 degress into the canal kind I mean. If its properly laid and flattened it can be nice though, seems to be the very old stuff that eventually turns nice, it weathers to powder on top and slowly settles into flat hardpacked surface, the new stuff can be horrible.

According to the guy I was talking to, he said it would be a smooth surface suitable for cycling, similar to the greenway. At as guess they but a layer of hardcore down first and then add and roll the finer gravel as a finishing layer. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,884 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Interesting thanks, it will be a great ride if they put a track all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

I'm planning on cycling the Grand Canal next week, I done the Royal last year.

Is the pathway clear all the way I assume the path will be the same as the Royal or is there anything I should watch out for ?

I'll be camping hopefully only one night is there and Pub's / Restaurants along route ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ishotjr2

Less pubs than I expected, you can pop in to the Tullamore Dew Distillery.
    Dangean looked like a nice place to stop for a pint.
    Had a few pints in Sallins/Roberstown which was grand.

I hope the weather is with you :)

I did it on a Hybrid, do it on a Moutain bike and follow the signs for the walk way.
    Around Edenderry if its wet was hard going.

There was a lovely spot to camp between Tullamore and Shannon Bridge in the bog, it was a bird sanctuary with a draw bridge corssing the canal, very peaceful.

But bring some insect repellent just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

ishotjr2 wrote: »
    Less pubs than I expected, you can pop in to the Tullamore Dew Distillery.
    Dangean looked like a nice place to stop for a pint.
    Had a few pints in Sallins/Roberstown which was grand.

I hope the weather is with you :)

I did it on a Hybrid, do it on a Moutain bike and follow the signs for the walk way.
    Around Edenderry if its wet was hard going.

There was a lovely spot to camp between Tullamore and Shannon Bridge in the bog, it was a bird sanctuary with a draw bridge corssing the canal, very peaceful.

But bring some insect repellent just in case.

^good info^ I stopped in Daingean in a pub opposite the church. I just pitched up on the bank near Daingean as it's grassy, wide and you won't meet anyone all night. I managed it on a cyclocross around halloween so it's possibly better underfoot right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

I'll be doing it on a Hybrid bike also. Where about is Daingean pub ? If coming from Dublin what town is it after ? or probably built beside the canal so can't miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

No, Daingean is a couple of Km off a bridge that crosses the canal. The village is on Google Maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

SCOL wrote: »
    I'll be doing it on a Hybrid bike also. Where about is Daingean pub ? If coming from Dublin what town is it after ? or probably built beside the canal so can't miss it.

The stretch into Daingean from Killeen Bridge (east of Daingean) was closed for upgrade at the end of May as per http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99866603&postcount=202 . Could be reopened by now but if not just go to southside of canal and head west.

It will be hard to miss Daingean. Cross the bridge just after Castle Barna golf club or (as per above) you will be diverted to the edge of town if the tow path is still being upgraded. https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Daingean,+Co.+Offaly/@53.2975516,-7.2913717,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x485da2870a8fcf69:0xa00c7a99731f980!8m2!3d53.2960818!4d-7.291967

The XL shop up the town does a good all day breakfast roll :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blueballfc

blobbie wrote: »
    The stretch into Daingean from Killeen Bridge (east of Daingean) was closed for upgrade at the end of May as per http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99866603&postcount=202 . Could be reopened by now but if not just go to southside of canal and head west.

It will be hard to miss Daingean. Cross the bridge just after Castle Barna golf club or (as per above) you will be diverted to the edge of town if the tow path is still being upgraded. https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Daingean,+Co.+Offaly/@53.2975516,-7.2913717,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x485da2870a8fcf69:0xa00c7a99731f980!8m2!3d53.2960818!4d-7.291967

The XL shop up the town does a good all day breakfast roll :-)

Anyone know has there been any upgrades since 2016 ? I know the surface is good from town all the way to adamstown, from there to hazelhatch not great and almost up to sallins not bad. Any update further west ?
    Was think of doing Lucan to tullamore have a cx bike just wonder would I be able to get across on it ?

Advertisement