Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling the Grand Canal

Options
  • 18-06-2010 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey
    Just wanted to report that a friend and I just had a terrific 3-day cycle - only as far as Tullamore, mind you - rain and carousing slowed play - but wanted to say that it is do-able the whole way, bar one tiny stretch near Clondalkin for which you have to go a short way on the Nangor Road, but you pick up again in Clondalkin village.

The council have done amazing work as far as Lucan; it looks very Dutch and modern European in west Dublin and if you're worried, as I was, about getting a bit of hassle from messers, they have installed cctv and big-brother-style tannoys and the idea is that it's 'constantly' monitored. We went the day after the kids finished school, so I think they were all still in bed, in any case everyone was really friendly, the whole way along.

Ideally use a mountain bike, there are extended stretches where there isn't really a track, and the towpath is just a grassy surface. Also, it might well be problematic to cycle it on your own, because many of the stiles are too narrow to get a bike with saddlebags through - we had to help each other lift the bike - apparently this is being changed as it's EU regulations that each stile should be the width of a wheelchair, so that's good, and every so often (esp round Lowtown where the Irish Waterways Assoc head is in a wheelchair) you'll get through no bother. But it is a pain in the ass - we probably had to do that 20 times in total.

But it was spectacularly beautiful for long stretches, we stopped in Sallins and Rhode, great fun in both, and Digans is a great pub in Tullamore with loads of space to stash the bikes out the back while you have a spectacular pint inside... :) If anyone needs to know anything else that i've left out just ask. Definitely get yourself some cycling shorts and maybe gloves if you can run to them - it's easy on the legs but it's bumpy...

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Great post. Certainly sounds like a fantastic idea! I'll keep it on file in a filing cabinet, might be a plan for the summer...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Feebar

thanks! by the way, we used hybrids, so it is possible, but a bit painful, to do so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

Thanks for the report.

Any pics?

just added a few to whet appetites. Didn't take a picture (why?!) of the traveller waist-deep in the canal washing his beautiful white pony's tail with a bottle of Fairy...

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

Feebar wrote: »
    The council have done amazing work as far as Lucan; it looks very Dutch and modern European in west Dublin and if you're worried, as I was, about getting a bit of hassle from messers, they have installed cctv and big-brother-style tannoys and the idea is that it's 'constantly' monitored.

There was an article in The Irish Times today about this-here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Hey Feebar,

That trip sounds pretty nice. Did you camp along the way or did you have accommodation booked in advance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

Feebar wrote: »
    just added a few to whet appetites. Didn't take a picture (why?!) of the traveller waist-deep in the canal washing his beautiful white pony's tail with a bottle of Fairy...

ah great pic's tell me is it possible to camp along the route,how many day's/miles in total did you do and is it possible to go much further.
    i would like to have a bash at that looks fantastic.

well, we had a tent with us and planned to camp both nights, but turned out my co-canaller had a friend in Sallins so we stayed with him - just as well as it turned out, though it was a beautiful balmy evening there was a thunderstorm that night and we woke up to heavy rain on the bank holiday sunday, so sat in the pub reading the sunday papers till two, which was the earliest we could've set off (note: 9 hours cycle from Sallins to Rhode, if you stop for picnic tea). Camped the second night in a field in Rhode, pitched in a large clump of nettles in the dark! So it was 'wild camping' - no facilities bar the odd stand pipes by the live-aboard canal boats to refill water bottles. Original plan was to go as far as Ballinasloe, which would have been another day at least. I'd like to have made it as far as Shannon Harbour. The other alternatives are the Royal Canal, the whole way to Carrick on Shannon - which I'd love to do - i've done the train ride which runs alongside, it's exquisite - and the Barrow Way, which goes past Craignamanagh (apologies for bad spelling) is supposedly wonderfully beautiful, through Kilkenny. Plan to tackle both of these over the summer - the great thing is that you just throw the bikes on the train on the way back - apparently you're meant to pay extra but we just smiled sweetly with our best 'really?' faces...

sorry, make that 7 hours sallins-rhode (at our pace, which involved a fair bit of stopping for the view)

I think it was 120km in total (dun laoghaire - tullamore)

• Advertisement

ah great pic's tell me is it possible to camp along the route,how many day's/miles in total did you do and is it possible to go much further.
    i would like to have a bash at that looks fantastic.

According to this book it would take 4 days to do the whole thing from Dublin to Limerick, 252km in total, so thats only about 60km a day. The author of the book talks about wild camping every night near the canal, becasue i don't think there are any campsites along the route.

thanks for that isn't it a pity there's no campsites along this route (or is there) but if it's cycle able it would be a great tour all the way to the shannon,.
    i would imagine the grassy sections would be next to impossible to cycle if it was raining :mad:
    thanks again.

Well according to that book it say'a that even after heavy rainfall the paths were still fairly solid,and he did it on 32mm tyres!

According to this book it would take 4 days to do the whole thing from Dublin to Limerick, 252km in total...

cracking - thanks for this - cheap home holidays, way to go!

keenan110 wrote: »
    According to this book it would take 4 days to do the whole thing from Dublin to Limerick, 252km in total, so thats only about 60km a day. The author of the book talks about wild camping every night near the canal, becasue i don't think there are any campsites along the route.

i actually bough that same book but never got to read it yet must have a look tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Despite the article in the Irish Times, the Kylemore section was still closed and blocked off as of Wednesday last. According to a sign at the site, this section will be open on August 31st.

Unfortunately the new path has already led to noticeable increase in anti-social behaviour, at least around Parkwest. Hopefully this will settle down in time - but only if CCTV cameras are actually going to be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Sounds great. What kind of anti-social behaviour are we talking about?

A local resident was mugged with a knife, a few stonings, and I nearly rammed (accidentally) a huge Rottweiler a few days ago (of course the skangers who owned it had it neither muzzeled or on a lead). I've also encountered scrambler bikes, ponies and ponies and traps - the very things I assumed the gates would prevent.

The new path and the weather has brought the skangers out onto the canal in significant numbers - and it appears that the CCTV are not having much of a deterrent. I'm hoping that it is still early days yet and things will settle down in a few weeks/months but I suspect (and hope I am wrong) that no one will be bothered monitoring the CCTV cameras to prevent anti-social activity.

And the gates are poorly designed and situated in some cases. At the Killeen road for example you must pass through two sets of gates if you want to join the path from the main road.

BTW - The Kylemore road section is currently open as there is a temporary access route to the underpass. So in effect the whole path is usable from the lock road into the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭treade1

Can you confirm that if I join the path at Inchicore this evening I will be able to cycle all the way to Grangecastle? I tried it last Wednesday and there was no sign of a temporary underpass while the ramp that is due to open on August 31st is being finished.

Yes - I went from the Tyrconnell road section all the way to Parkwest last night and there is a single-lane path access under the Kylemore road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭treade1

Yes I cycled in all the way from Grangecastle to Inchicore this morning. It is an excellent path. The gates are a real pity. I think I had to dismount 8 times in total to go through each gate. It is very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Tails142

dogmatix wrote: »
    A local resident was mugged with a knife, a few stonings, and I nearly rammed (accidentally) a huge Rottweiler a few days ago (of course the skangers who owned it had it neither muzzeled or on a lead). I've also encountered scrambler bikes, ponies and ponies and traps - the very things I assumed the gates would prevent.

The new path and the weather has brought the skangers out onto the canal in significant numbers - and it appears that the CCTV are not having much of a deterrent. I'm hoping that it is still early days yet and things will settle down in a few weeks/months but I suspect (and hope I am wrong) that no one will be bothered monitoring the CCTV cameras to prevent anti-social activity.

What you will probably find is that this type of anti-social behaviour has always been going on but that you never went down by the canal to see it.

Hopefully they will be driven out and go somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Hondo75

Anyone been out this year. Got about half mile past the end of track, about 20mins from Hazelhatch, muddy in places but can be done.
    A few dry days might help..

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Step23

I cycled from Lucan to Robertstown today along the canal. The track was fairly dry and with a few detours I managed 70km in 4 hours. Im thinking of aiming for Tullamore in one day someday soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jismith

Cycled from Hazelhatch to Straffan along the canal this morning, nice easy cycle. I'm planning on cycling the full length of the Grand Canal from Grand Canal Dock to Shannon Harbour at the end of the month, I hope it's good all the way. I'll post back here once I have it done. I hope to do it between 7-8 hours, hope that is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KieranO

Cycled from Dublin to Shannon Harbour on 13/09/13, joining the canal at Portabello. According to Strava that was 131km and it took 7 hours and 14 mins, at an average speed of 18.3km per hour. That time doesn't include breaks.

It's all very navigable, a mixture of road, gravel, towpath and grass, but you can stay next to the canal all the way.

A few things to note. The canal splits at Robertstown, left for the Barrow line, and right for the Shannon line. You want to take the right.

Other than that you just need to make sure you are going down the correct side of the canal. For the most part its signposted which side to go, but do keep an eye out for the signs at every bridge, even if it seems obvious which side you should be on, as the path can come to a sudden stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Any punctures? I read on here somewhere that one guy had 11 punctures.

Link to Strava?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KieranO

No punctures, but I was on tubeless Rocket Rons. Nothing on the terrain that was too controversial that should cause 11 punctures, some patches of stones/gravel, but nothing else.

Had to swap phone batteries about an hour short of the finish line, so two Strava links, don't think there's a way to merge them,
    http://www.strava.com/activities/82167418
    http://www.strava.com/activities/82183328

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

KieranO wrote: »
    Had to swap phone batteries about an hour short of the finish line, so two Strava links, don't think there's a way to merge them,
    http://www.strava.com/activities/82167418
    http://www.strava.com/activities/82183328

If you have the two GPX's you could merge them into one. They are just text files but you need to know what you're doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Headdy

KieranO wrote: »
    Cycled from Dublin to Shannon Harbour on 13/09/13, joining the canal at Portabello. According to Strava that was 131km and it took 7 hours and 14 mins, at an average speed of 18.3km per hour. That time doesn't include breaks.

It's all very navigable, a mixture of road, gravel, towpath and grass, but you can stay next to the canal all the way.

Hi KieranO

What type / model of bike did you use?

Advertisement