Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favorite rolling tobacco?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

allways go between Golden Virginia, Cutters Choice and Drum...drum is probably my favourite lately...Good robust, satisfying smoke...green rizla papers usually and filters are for girls...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

Depp wrote: »
    allways go between Golden Virginia, Cutters Choice and Drum...drum is probably my favourite lately...Good robust, satisfying smoke...green rizla papers usually and filters are for girls...

agree-vote.png

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

Depp wrote: »

Mean! I'm quite a fan of Samson, green Rizla and ultra slim filters. Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

drum%20(Custom).jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    drum%20(Custom).jpg

nom nom nom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 silverhare

Favourite rolling tobacco. That is a tough question.

My favourites aren't readily available in Dublin :(

You can't go wrong with the Javannse Jongens but I think I prefer El Pueblo. It's delicious and is produced with the same ethos as American Spirit (another tasty bkend), no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives, as such, a humidor (as recommended by the esteemed OldGoat) is a requirement if you want to keep any in reserve.

The yellow drum referred to earlier is a nice blend of tobaccos, with practically no virginian tobacco.

The first rolling tobacco I bought was Old Holborne, I couldn't go back to it now. If I buy rolling tobacco in Ireland, I buy drum because I can't get the ones I want. It's hit and miss depending on where you buy it. My local shop does a roaring trade in it so it's always fresh whereas the GV I bought there was as dry as a camel's wotsit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

On rollies since Sunday, I got GV cause it was the first brand I saw. Although I like the resealable pouches,(technology rocks) I'd like a tin for daily use, any one know if they any makers still sell them, doesn't have to be GV,any brand will do. I'll check out the shops on grafton st, any other shops around Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

dubtom wrote: »
    On rollies since Sunday, I got GV cause it was the first brand I saw. Although I like the resealable pouches,(technology rocks) I'd like a tin for daily use, any one know if they any makers still sell them, doesn't have to be GV,any brand will do. I'll check out the shops on grafton st, any other shops around Dublin?

Across the road from Dunnes in the Green shopping centre (on the road connecting to Sth William St) there is a little newsagents that sells tins, rolling machines etc. Can't remember the name unfortunately but you'll see it easy enough.

Oh and I can't recommend Samson enough. I was on GV for ages until I discovered Samson. A lovely smoke.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Cutters Choice for preference but I find it so yummy that the miserable 12.5g pouch you only get here is usually gone in a day so I tend to smoke GV.

When I go to Spain I stock up on the 50g pouches of Cutters...nice.

I'm a girl so I use filters :rolleyes: (cos soggy paper tasting of tar makes me squeeel).

Drum, quite literally, makes me puke.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I'm a girl so I use filters :rolleyes: (cos soggy paper tasting of tar makes me squeeel).

I'm a boy and I use filters too ;)
    I didn't for ages but they make the rolly so much better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

SteoL wrote: »
    Across the road from Dunnes in the Green shopping centre (on the road connecting to Sth William St) there is a little newsagents that sells tins, rolling machines etc. Can't remember the name unfortunately but you'll see it easy enough.
    Barry's. Great little shop.

Checked out Barry,s today, said they don't sell tins of rolling tobacco :( or rather,it's not sold in tins. My search continues.

Have to say smoking rollies is a much nicer with the tips, it was always a messy and not enjoyable smoke for me when I last smoked them,that was years ago,and my roach making ability was crap.I can see myself staying on them,I'll save a fortune:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

'Roach'ing is an artform. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Checked out Barry,s today, said they don't sell tins of rolling tobacco :( or rather,it's not sold in tins. My search continues.

Have to say smoking rollies is a much nicer with the tips, it was always a messy and not enjoyable smoke for me when I last smoked them,that was years ago,and my roach making ability was crap.I can see myself staying on them,I'll save a fortune:pac:

Sorry man I didn't mean they sold baccy in tins. I meant you could buy a tin there and then transfer your baccy from pouch to tin. Misunderstanding on my part, hope it wasn't too far a trek in there.

im using one of these http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9288627.htm

keeps the tobacco fresh and i find that i just put enough tobacco in it to do me for the day , which is getting smaller by the day since i got it weird :D

plus i dont find myself when im out and about looking like a noob trying to open my plastic pouch skins in the mouth praying that theres no wind lol.

oh it also comes with a refillable lighter which i still have result.

SteoL wrote: »
    Sorry man I didn't mean they sold baccy in tins. I meant you could buy a tin there and then transfer your baccy from pouch to tin. Misunderstanding on my part, hope it wasn't too far a trek in there.

No apologies needed SteoL, was passing anyway, actually never thought to just ask for a tin :o though he did say he had pipe baccy in tins,I'm not in pipe smoking mode at the mo though.

I'll check that out almanu,cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

Cutter's choice all the way! :) with green Rizlas and ultra slim filters... yum! :D
    Amber Leaf if they're outta it and light blue Drum if there's none of that... although that really is a last resort.
    Dark blue Drum and Golden Virginia make me feel really sick...

My friend gave me a brilliant tin so I can pre-roll and carry them out with me for when I'm too drunk/ it's too crowded to roll properly... :D

Running late this morning so ran off without my Samson. Went into shop and after being met with a blank stare after requesting my usual brands (Samson, GV, Cutters Choice) I just asked for "TOBACCO". Anyway she handed me a box of Amber Leaf. Really vile stuff, it is making me sick. Would never touch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ElizabethDante

yeah samson is my fave ... !

if i was buying in a newagents and they didnt have any i would get drum but thats mostly out of habit not preference :D

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Port Royal....lovely stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Amber leaf ftw. €5.50 for 50g Bag .

we're being robbed over here :mad:

Port Royal....lovely stuff!

I believe so, is it available in Ireland?
    thebullkf wrote: »
    Amber leaf ftw. €5.50 for 50g Bag .

we're being robbed over here :mad:

Ewwww....I respectfully disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

all about

Amber%20Leaf%20-%20Finest%20Virginia%20Hand%20Rolling%20Tobacco.JPG

for me

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

strobe wrote: »
    My personal favourite is Port Royal (mellowed with rum and wine), but it's not available over here. So smooth and such a mellow pleasant taste. You would almost eat handfuls of the stuff when the smell of a freshly opened packet hits you.

port.royal.original.50g.jpg

Of the commonly available commercial rolling tobaccos over here Cutters Choice would be my preference by a long way but unfortunately it's pretty hit and miss which shops it will be in, so my fall back is usually Golden Virginia as it's in every single shop and it's probably the best of the rest.

In terms of papers, when I can get them I use Raw translucent papers but most of the time settle for blue Swan or Rizla.

Can't stand Drum, don't know how anyone smokes the stuff. In other countries where the prices aren't set to be the same for all products Drum tends to be the cheapest you can buy anywhere. There is a reason.

Mmmm Port Royal I sooo miss this!

Use to smoke it in NZ. There was also a cheaper version of it I think it was called "Riverstone" again mellowed with rum. The BF of the time use to smoke what I think was called "Dragon" similar to Drum but much stronger, he found it similar to the pipe tabacco he use to smoke.

Choice of Taylor Mades and Rollies in this country is pretty poor. Couldnt get over how harsh they all where after oz and NZ (Which is saying something when I use to smoke Winfield Red 16mg on nights out.) I gave up on Rollies due to its poor quality and range of tobacco here!

Really do miss them, there is nothing like sitting down chillin out and rolling your own. Specially at a Barbie or by the bonfire!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Demosthenes

cannot stress enough how the **** quality of cutters choice, while full of anal beads, is a far smoother/lighter/average nicotine buzz than all rolling tobacco available in galway...............

(in my opinion and from what ive smoked in galway which is everything i have so far seen on sale)

ModEdit. Font size reduced from Size 5 to a normal size 2 cos I have a hangover and it was too loud.

The sister is heading to Spain at the weekend and is getting me a large supply. I've been smoking GV since I took to rolling a while back and enjoying them. For safety sake I've been trying out some other brands just in case she can't get my preference. I've tried Drum light blue,defo lighter, I'm not sure if I got an extra stalky pack but I found I got a burning lip sensation when nearing the end of the smoke,even with a filter.I wont bother with the dark blue drum. Cutters, I think lighter than GV too, not bad although herself claims to get a bad taste from them. So whats left to try,Samson,amber leaf,is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭leprechaun47

I always found that dark blue Drum is the only tobacco I can smoke consistently. The downside is the amount of un-rollable, un-smokable twigs per pack.
    Old Holborn is nice too but has that fruity twang that I tend to get sick of.

What's yer favorite? I'd love some suggestions for branching out :pac:
    exactly!! tryed cutters choice today and it's not great.. surely there are more options than drum??

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

started smoking rollies about 2 weeks ago, started off on GV, tasted lovely, i thought, but started giving me headaches and made me dizzy, so after hearing about cutters choice here, i gave it a go. loved it the first few smokes, now i hate it, makes me sick, the taste of it, the smell of it, ew. plus, the headaches and dizziness persisted, not as severe, but lasted longer.
    so i might go back to GV, loved the taste, and i suppose i'll just have to get used to the headaches.:o
    unless someone can recommend something better to me??
    might try drum

s-cogan wrote: »
    started smoking rollies about 2 weeks ago, started off on GV, tasted lovely, i thought, but started giving me headaches and made me dizzy, so after hearing about cutters choice here, i gave it a go. loved it the first few smokes, now i hate it, makes me sick, the taste of it, the smell of it, ew. plus, the headaches and dizziness persisted, not as severe, but lasted longer.
    so i might go back to GV, loved the taste, and i suppose i'll just have to get used to the headaches.:o
    unless someone can recommend something better to me??
    might try drum
    rolling your own takes about 2 or 3 weeks to get use to , well it did for me anyhow , i smoke GV and wont smoke anything else .as for the headaches well i can remember getting them when i started off on GV, not sure about the dizzy spells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

almanu wrote: »
    rolling your own takes about 2 or 3 weeks to get use to , well it did for me anyhow , i smoke GV and wont smoke anything else .as for the headaches well i can remember getting them when i started off on GV, not sure about the dizzy spells.

their not even dizzy spells, but it kinda feels lkike im after a few pints, like, if you know what i mean??

Advertisement