Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favorite rolling tobacco?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

American Spirit rolling tobacco (not available in Ireland) is far superior to anything I've ever smoked back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Marc Agony

Question? Which is the lightest, the price of fags is killing me so I think I'll try the rollies but I don't want to tear the lungs off myself - recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 hopwitch

I was under the impression that Old Holburn was pipe tobacco, so now I'm going to have to leave my GV to one side for a while and experiment with OH

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

King Felix wrote: »
    American Spirit rolling tobacco (not available in Ireland) is far superior to anything I've ever smoked back home.

it is now
    i just bought a 35g pouch of american spirit about 6 hours ago and i'm in love with it
    especially with blue rizla and superslim filters

prior to today i'm a samson smoker again with blue rizla and superslim filters

Marc Agony wrote: »
    Question? Which is the lightest, the price of fags is killing me so I think I'll try the rollies but I don't want to tear the lungs off myself - recommendations?

american spirit if you can find it or
    light blue drum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

GV for 20 years now:o Most others= instant sore throat and clothes stink. Did smoke some dutch brand when I lived there and after which I liked, but it smelled pretty bad apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ECU Ghost

It has to be Samson for me, only tobbacco I can smoke consistently, without actually throwing it away because I'm sick of it.

Golden Virginia makes me sick to my stomach, there's just a weird taste and smell off it.

Amberleaf has a kinda sickening taste to it, makes me feel sick when I smoke it.

Cutters choice tastes like ****e.

Drum is nice, but it's too dry, and too many bits in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Golden Virginia all the way for me. Moved to rollies earlier this year, started with Cutters Choice, then tried Drum - preferred Bright Blue over the Dark Blue. Then tried GV and been hooked ever since - I don't even like a Benson as much now which was my cigarette of choice for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

Golden Virgina nearly destroyed my lungs... light blue Drum was the same. For me the only ones that didn't make me feel like ****e was either Cutters Choice or Amber Leaf!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

it is now
    i just bought a 35g pouch of american spirit about 6 hours ago and i'm in love with it
    especially with blue rizla and superslim filters

prior to today i'm a samson smoker again with blue rizla and superslim filters
    Where can you get American Spirit?

• Advertisement

i buy mine in academy street in cork i keep forgetting the name but its a small street so it's hard to miss

i dont know about dublin tho

but as soon as i can i'm going to buy online
    http://www.e-tobaccos.com/buy-cigars/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

Quite a few people seem to be leaning to the GV.
    Personally I don't like it at all, I've always found it to be too damp for my liking, whenever I bought a pack it would be sticky.

Drum I find to be very nice as well as cutters choice, but for some reason I seem to have settled on Amber leaf, out of habit alone I will go into a shop and ask for it, without thinking twice about trying something new :P

this was my first post in the smoking section i hope it doesn't make me sound like a twat :P

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Dave_Kilkenny

Going to start to switch to rolllies for economic reasons :(

So any one care to give me some price breakdowns,

Golden virgina,
    Drum
    Amber Leaf

Rizzla skins,

And the prices of some common filters.

Dont suggest anything to fancy as my local wont have them more than likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Light Blue Drum is my main choice unless I can get my hands on the yellow variety which I find to be much smoother, alas I've only see in in mainland Europe. 4.20 for 45g was pretty awesome :mad:

There's something in the taste of Amberleaf that puts me off it but I've not problems with Golden Virginia if it's all that's going.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭PSKdesign

I smoke old holbourn for some time now and I think it's ok, way better than drum. That's only my opinion, human taste for smoke (and not only )differs soooo much...

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

drum or drum lite is my fav, i also like to buy 20 benson and break them up and re roll myself , i don't like to smoke benson with filters and get a better taste when rerolled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭bananabunch

Amber leaf, rolled using their free papers, with swan menthol filters :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38 RP Mc murphy

with Rizzla papers and slim filters, used to replace marlborough lights, better on the pocket by a county mile, no problems with the move.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I had tried and failed many an attempt to handroll with filters. Things just went awry any time I'd add a filter to the mix. Usually it'd end up too loose, or filter would fall out mid-roll.

I used a machine mostly, which worked fine with slim filters, but not with superslims.

byte wrote: »
    I had tried and failed many an attempt to handroll with filters. Things just went awry any time I'd add a filter to the mix. Usually it'd end up too loose, or filter would fall out mid-roll.

I used a machine mostly, which worked fine with slim filters, but not with superslims.

i know it's a really long video for doing something that takes like 10-12 seconds
    but he explains really well
    and you'll save a fúcking fortune
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7vt67etNDw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ericsinjun

Rollin my own this last 2 weeks and tried a good few combos of tobacco, papers and filters but have now found what I like.
    Cutters Choice baccy, slim filters, Swan liquorice paper and a big mug of tae, none of your tea mindya, Shweeeeeeet.
    Amber leaf near cut the throat outta me. Drum is fulla twigs, tis like a fec kin hedge. Golden V was ok, a mate of mine had some in a yellow pouch and that was good, can't seem to find it in Galway though.
    Anyways, happy out for now.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Anita M.

Drum heavy and now am stuck with a heavy load.
    Just stocked up and got stuck with that.
    But me pal who smokes golden virginia hates the drum.
    Said he nearly choked on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Bright Blue Drum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

PSKdesign wrote: »
    I smoke old holbourn for some time now and I think it's ok, way better than drum. That's only my opinion, human taste for smoke (and not only )differs soooo much...

I started smoking old Holborn over the summer there. Its nice alright and I'm smoking it and Drum at the moment. They both seem to be about the same strength. Is it just me or does Old Holborn seem to last a hell of alot longer than any other rolling tobacco?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭figarofigaro

I like golden virginia but I'd smoke most brands. I don't like drum though.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭kev_like

amber leaf is far too...strange, not quite sure how you can describe the after taste but it wouldn't be my first preference.
    drum dark blue is too, well, stemmy, leafy ect and its far too harsh at times, saying that drum light is much much nicer, though its a bit too light.

imo cutters choice would be perfect if it was a slight bit dryer, its a tad bit damp so i usually leave my packet open for a while before i make a rollie :P
    But i always go for cutters anyway (asides from the disgracefully emo name:P)

A friend recently brought me some pouches of Samson back from Belgium. Yummy is all I can say. I thought I'd never switch from Golden Virginia but am now officially a convert. Nicest rollys I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ChristOnAStick

Chroist, I'd no idea this thread was still going!
    I received a pack of Samson over the Christmas, I was optimistic at first since I used to like it. But it's dry as balls, has a horrible sharpness to it that left many a half-smoked fag in my ashtray.
    Still on the Drum. Still love it.
    One thing I'd like to raise, is the moisture content of Drum. It varies from pack to pack. I like moist tobacco, cos the fags last forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Buy a humidor. They are not just for cigars. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

Chroist, I'd no idea this thread was still going!
    I received a pack of Samson over the Christmas, I was optimistic at first since I used to like it. But it's dry as balls, has a horrible sharpness to it that left many a half-smoked fag in my ashtray.
    Still on the Drum. Still love it.
    One thing I'd like to raise, is the moisture content of Drum. It varies from pack to pack. I like moist tobacco, cos the fags last forever.

Samson I have is anything but dry. As moist as can be. Could just be a very old pack you received.
    OldGoat wrote: »
    Buy a humidor. They are not just for cigars. :)

What's a humidor, if you don't mind my asking Old Goat, and where would one acquire one. I sometimes receive Drum (or its Spanish equivalent "Domingo") and find it can be very dry so presumably it's something which would rectify this.:o

Advertisement