Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

lugha wrote: »
    I wonder will any unionists with a taste for irony borrow that little nugget, if and when the Good Friday Agreement leads to a united Ireland? I.e. Trimble and the crew only negotiated the agreement under the threat of a renewed IRA campaign of violence if they didn’t :). That isn’t true of course, but it might read as a persuasive enough argument in a few decades time.

The Good Friday agreement exists on it's own merits. If people vote through the GFA for unification, it would not be under duress. I don't see how both are comparable.

If the Irish Government had a superior military than the British and stated that unless you vote for unification, there will be immediate and terrible war - then we could start comparing the two scenarios.

Clutching at straws tbh. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Which is it, guys ?

The Brits were deployed "in aid of the civil power" i.e. Stormont, that was the exact term used. They were deployed in order to shore up the RUC who were becoming increasingly unable to contain Nationalist rioters in Belfast and Derry as well as increasing Loyalist rioting as well. Remember that it was Brian Faulkner who introduced internment in 1971 and British troops who carried this policy out. It was only when it was clear that the Stormont regime had lost control of the situation that British Direct Rule was implemented.

This notion that they were sent in to "protect Catholics" is simply bogus, and those who would call themselves Republicans would do well to stop perpetuating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

FTA69 wrote: »
    The Brits were deployed "in aid of the civil power" i.e. Stormont, that was the exact term used. They were deployed in order to shore up the RUC who were becoming increasingly unable to contain Nationalist rioters in Belfast and Derry as well as increasing Loyalist rioting as well. Remember that it was Brian Faulkner who introduced internment in 1971 and British troops who carried this policy out. It was only when it was clear that the Stormont regime had lost control of the situation that British Direct Rule was implemented.

This notion that they were sent in to "protect Catholics" is simply bogus, and those who would call themselves Republicans would do well to stop perpetuating it.

The army arrived in August 1969 - internement wasn't reintroduced until 2 years later. Faulkner wasn't PM in NI when the army arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I've deleted a series of posts, almost all posted by people who appear to be able to type and yet not able to read (unfortunately that's at least the way it appears).

Aside, reporting a post with the reason being: "Unsure why poster is allowed to post unsubstantiated claims." isn't particularly informative to me as a report reason (the why of course is that posts made at 3am are generally looked at following a period of what is known as "sleep" to me). Additionally there will of course be (some) periods where forum mods just aren't around as it's sunny outside (it's not always a 24/7 service, regardless of how much we'd like it to be). It's more useful to report it with an informational reason as to why it's unacceptable as that's actually useful. Help me help you, as Jerry Maguire said pathetically:)

Appropriate cards issued for some of the deleted muck.

Thread is on its last legs - there's an actual topic here that many people are ignoring.

/mod

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

There's a thread on the Saville report currently active for those who want to discuss bloody sunday. As the sub-discussion here in this thread was essentially begun as a warbly rant without reference to the findings of the report, I've deleted that sub-discussion rather than moving it.

As noted above, thread was on its last legs, largely due to the thread participants.

Locked per that earlier notice.

/mod

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement