Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disgraceful Behaviour From Bookies?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭ForzaKid

POINTBREAK wrote: »
    An unscrupulous bookies could take advantage of that rule. All he has to do is advertise the wrong price and if it goes against him claim a mistake. The other thing is that the price enticed you to bet and they were responsible for advertising the price so it should be their fault.

We used to have a local bookie who had a sign that said.....

If we pay you out short. Tell us.
    If we pay you out too much Tell Everybody Else.
    Absolutely brilliant motto for the Bookie!Really got a good laugh off that!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 underthepost

okidoki987 wrote: »
    As you have your money back, who was it?

William Hill

• Registered Users Posts: 39,079 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You were chancing your arm, you knew both bets were priced wrong.

You got you stake back, you should be happy with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭POINTBREAK

Mellor wrote: »

Say if the bet had lost. Would the bookie have contacted him and refunded his stake. I doubt it. In which case the bookie is on a freeroll.

Irrelevant IMO

Happy with the final outcome, but fairly annoyed with the potential of getting screwed badly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

It was a mistake in bookies.

Yes but what if I took your €100, and gave you a moped (eg. changing of the handicap)?

Maybe I'm 100% out of order here?

I asked the bookmakers to show me the Terms and Conditions specifying what they did, and they didn't provide it. I've also had a good look through their Terms and Conditions and it is no where to be found.

And the time of notice to either void or accept the new odds and bet is laughable. Looks like they sat on the info until the last moment, despite knowing of the error since 2.30am!

Isnt this the kind of thing that should alarm bells ringing. The same alarm bells that should have been ringing when you saw those odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭marvin_spazz

regarding ethic so............whats stopping a bookies putting up a big price such as team A to win at 10/1 when realistically should be 3/1. I go to collect my winnings and get reduced price obviously but if team A loses they take a fortune cause nobody to complain. they can just induce you in at a price put down to error and clean up if doesnt come up. Im sure this happens
    before I saw written up on board, old school bookies a very generous price for a team to top a group in champions league...think it was around 12/1. obvious error I had a wager and informed others who did like wise..nothing mad to cause alertness to error but bet didnt come in...my point being wud probably have been collecting at correct if winner but the price induced the best. it seems a stroke could be pulled here and there by bookies if they wanted to.........what us reckon???? its a bollocks of a system all bets should be honoured....if i saw a price on the supermarket shelf in tesco they have to honour it at checkout

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Verance

regarding ethic so............whats stopping a bookies putting up a big price such as team A to win at 10/1 when realistically should be 3/1. I go to collect my winnings and get reduced price obviously but if team A loses they take a fortune cause nobody to complain. they can just induce you in at a price put down to error and clean up if doesnt come up. Im sure this happens
    before I saw written up on board, old school bookies a very generous price for a team to top a group in champions league...think it was around 12/1. obvious error I had a wager and informed others who did like wise..nothing mad to cause alertness to error but bet didnt come in...my point being wud probably have been collecting at correct if winner but the price induced the best. it seems a stroke could be pulled here and there by bookies if they wanted to.........what us reckon???? its a bollocks of a system all bets should be honoured....if i saw a price on the supermarket shelf in tesco they have to honour it at checkout
    A supermarket doesn't actually have to sell at the advertised price either, Tesco would though even if in error. Some bookies could abuse this but if a punter was caught once or twice by a bookie presumably they wouldn't go back. I don't think bookies do it on purpose tbh, wouldn't be worth losing customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

it seems a stroke could be pulled here and there by bookies if they wanted to
    id say its as much a pain in the hole for the bookmaker to have to listen to the people who back these errors and despite agreeing to the terms and conditions of their site, try to pull out all sorts of ifs and buts that are totally irrelevant, to make them bother trying to induce bets by putting up wrong prices. Add to that it looks unprofessional, and reflects bad on them, if the wrong people stumble across them they can be damaging for PR. E.g. it is in the bookies best interests to not have errors in the first place, if they do they will correct them, you agree to this when you sign up.
    its a bollocks of a system all bets should be honoured....if i saw a price on the supermarket shelf in tesco they have to honour it at checkout

The problem here is that greed takes over, and many people try to get lifesavings on, which is self damaging, as its more likely to spotted and even less likely to be allowed pass.

I placed the bet 13 hours before the event, they realised the mistake 11 hours before the event, and attempted to contact me 30 mins before the event....

Just on this point, i doubt someone is in there trading rugby at 2.30am. Hence why it may have been 11 hours later. Also, you state you work 9to5, would you appreciate a call from a bookmaker at 5.00 am?

• Advertisement

Healio wrote: »
    Just on this point, i doubt someone is in there trading rugby at 2.30am. Hence why it may have been 11 hours later. Also, you state you work 9to5, would you appreciate a call from a bookmaker at 5.00 am?

They REALISED their mistake by 2.30am and sent the email 30 mins before the event which was 12.30pm.

They completely changed by 2 bets, do you not understand?

Use an extreme example - suppose you place some bets on the Brazil and Holland match on Friday (I think it has a 3pm kickoff?).

You see Brazil to win at 2/1 and you see Brazil to win +1 at 10/11.

You back both. At 2.30pm, the bookies you place the bet with send you an email informing you the odds were wrong etc.....and inform you that the bets you originally placed are now - Brazil to win at 1/2 and Brazil to win -1 at 10/11. If you do not get in contact with us before the 3pm kickoff your non response will indicate acceptance of the new bets.......

They REALISED their mistake by 2.30am and sent the email 30 mins before the event which was 12.30pm.

Want to read my post again? I dont think you see my point. Mary in customer service does not making "trading decisions". It looks like whoever trades Rugby only came in 30 mins before the match started, and then decided what to do with the bet.
    They completely changed by 2 bets, do you not understand?

I was stating the procedure of the bookmakers, which quite obviously you are not to aware of.

Advertisement