Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Name change queries

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

ARGINITE wrote: »
    Do you know the airline you are flying with?
    You could try contacting them and trying to sort it that way.

Aer lingus and BA.

We rang BA as they where the main concern as it was trans atlantic and they would not talk to us as it was booked via an agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Budgetair.ie FAQ state that changing details on certain books is not possible, so it seems like you're in a difficult position.

Turn up very early for check in and hope for the best, you might be able to get it changed at the airport.

ARGINITE wrote: »
    Budgetair.ie FAQ state that changing details on certain books is not possible, so it seems like you're in a difficult position.

Turn up very early for check in and hope for the best, you might be able to get it changed at the airport.

Do they have the facility to do this at the airport?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The agent should have checked the name with you. It is their problem and should be sorted by them and at their cost.

spurious wrote: »
    The agent should have checked the name with you. It is their problem and should be sorted by them and at their cost.

I don't know if this will hold true as it is an online agent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What kind of an error, is it just that you used a short form of the name?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Limericks wrote: »
    I don't know if this will hold true as it is an online agent.

Oh I misunderstood, I thought it was a travel agent.

Is it a really big change, or a James/Jimmy situation?

robinph wrote: »
    What kind of an error, is it just that you used a short form of the name?
    spurious wrote: »
    Oh I misunderstood, I thought it was a travel agent.

Is it a really big change, or a James/Jimmy situation?

Debbie is name on ticket - Deborah is name on passport.

I posted here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1423517-problems-flight-wrong-name.html#post19965201

And they seem to think it should be fine. Only one way to find out though as they say.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Limericks wrote: »

Debbie is name on ticket - Deborah is name on passport.

I posted here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1423517-problems-flight-wrong-name.html#post19965201

And they seem to think it should be fine. Only one way to find out though as they say.
    Wouldn't worry a it. Your flying between English speaking countries and the form of the name abbreviations will be familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭shhling

Hi all,
    anyone know what happens if you book a flight with part of first name from passport eg I booked a flight for sister with Mary as name instead of Margaret Mary? I have emailed company I booked it with but it only after happening,,, Raging with myself for making mistake

• Advertisement

In our case we were left fly but it's a bit of a different situation for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Does she go by the name of Mary, rather than Margaret Mary? If so, it might be worth getting a statutory declaration signed (A solicitor or notary can do this) stating that the name she is commonly known as is Mary and that she uses both names for identification purposes. if she has a bill in the name Mary Soandso then maybe bring this also. Not sure if it would work, but worth a shot. I know that when applying for a passport for some countries if you are commonly known as a different name (i.e through marriage or because your name on your birth cert is in one language and you use a different version in say english) then they get you to sign a stat dec to say that both names refer to you and that they are used concurrently. It might be worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

shhling wrote: »
    Hi all,
    anyone know what happens if you book a flight with part of first name from passport eg I booked a flight for sister with Mary as name instead of Margaret Mary? I have emailed company I booked it with but it only after happening,,, Raging with myself for making mistake

If its with Ryanair, there shouldn't be a problem.

My Mum uses a different name to that on her passport (e.g. Deedee instead of Deirdre). 99% of people who know her don't know her "real" name. She put down the name she uses when booking a flight and then when she realised that she should have put down her "real" name, got into an awful panic. I rang Ryanair and they were great. They sorted it out quickly and painlessly. No charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Zil2011

OP - Would it be possible to get your sisters passport changed instead? Apply for a passport with the name Debbie X and fly with that? Least you'd be sure she could fly

:D

Please say that is not a serious suggestion? Getting your government issued ID changed to show an abbreviation of your name so that it matches the name used on a plane ticket is just daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

robinph wrote: »
    :D

Please say that is not a serious suggestion? Getting your government issued ID changed to show an abbreviation of your name so that it matches the name used on a plane ticket is just daft.
    ... and considering the OP already flew the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

Zil2011 wrote: »
    OP - Would it be possible to get your sisters passport changed instead? Apply for a passport with the name Debbie X and fly with that? Least you'd be sure she could fly

The Passport Office would not do this without proof of usage.

The lesson to be learnt here is to take more care when booking flights, especially when it may cost hundreds of €€€ to resolve - it can turn out to be a very costly error.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Hi, sorry for bumping this but I'm kind of freaking out here.

I booked flights for my parents from Dublin to Glasgow for a holiday. The flight is Friday. I should also specify that I've already checked them in online.

However I noticed that when I was going through the thing again to print off the boarding passes I put my mother's name down as Helen, as everyone calls her that. However I looked at her passport and she's down as Ellen. They wont let me change the names online because they're already booked in.

does anyone know what I can do? Do you think she'd get away with it?? I'm trying to get a number for ryanair but cant find a number??

Please help!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Hi, sorry for bumping this but I'm kind of freaking out here.

I booked flights for my parents from Dublin to Glasgow for a holiday. The flight is Friday. I should also specify that I've already checked them in online.

However I noticed that when I was going through the thing again to print off the boarding passes I put my mother's name down as Helen, as everyone calls her that. However I looked at her passport and she's down as Ellen. They wont let me change the names online because they're already booked in.

does anyone know what I can do? Do you think she'd get away with it?? I'm trying to get a number for ryanair but cant find a number??

Please help!!!

Don't worry about bumping the thread :)

Have you seen this to contact Ryanair? (look under contact reservation numbers).
    I'd ring to confirm as they may fly out okay, but occur issues flying back into Ireland pending security on that side. Alternatively, look here for the FAQ. Your query is listed there also.

No harm in phoning to put your mind at ease and if they say it's okay as is, ask for that in writing from them.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ktucker

However if you still want to speak to an agent you can call on the following number:

1520 444 004 - €0.15/min incl. VAT
    Calls from mobiles and other networks may cost more.
    Our lines are open Mon - Fri, 9:00 - 18:00 GMT , Sat 10:00 – 17:00 GMT and Sun 11.00 – 17.00 GMT.

I accidentally put in Ryan instead of OBrien but noticed the morning after booking. I called and they wanted 150. I went through the motions with the agent being nice etc etc before asking for a supervisor. I was put on hold and then told the super was not available but they would change for 10 euro each way.

It might be possible as your checked in already.

Options
    1. Chance it and tell your mother to smile / smudge the name partly with printer ink
    2. Photoshop
    3. Book a new ticket
    4. Chance your arm tomorrow with ryanair and don't get frustrated with them.

Ciao

• Advertisement

Giving them a ring tomorrow. I'm never been so stressed.

Worst part is she's booked flights before under the name Helen and never had any trouble with the Ellen passport. Never online though or with Ryanair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Man City 10

They changed mine for free Lol
    I accidentally put my father's name down as Jack Bryan(This is the name usually in all bills banks etc.)(Also this is the main name he uses in everything)
    Where as in the passport it said Michael Bryan(I think that's his first name or something)
    So, I got worried and ****, because I knew that to change name was 100E and if I told my dad I probably would get a bate, lol
    So, what I did was I rang them the next morning telling my situation and they said to fax them the passport with the name and they will change it
    Happy days then on !!

Just got off the phone to them there! No hassle at all! The guy looked at the system and said since they were already checked in he'd just leave a note in the system saying that the name is mispelled and left the correct name. All free too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Wife here having a small heart attack, Booked a holiday back at the start of the year and the wife reckons the names on the booking form and the passports do not exactly match. I had a look at the T&C's on the Ryan Air website and could not find anything related to this.

The names booked in are:

Thomas Joseph Surname
    Eve Frances Surname

And the names on the booking are :

Joseph Surname
    Eve Surname

Can anyone fore see an issue with this when checking in ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

ya you will be all right nothing to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Kewl thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Ernest Oreo

hey
    anyone get any leeway from ryanair on this before?
    the missus changed her passport in last few weeks - flights booked today with her maiden name down. €110 to change? Closest thing to daylight robbery i've ever experienced. out of sheer principle i will never fly with them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,830 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Call them tonight, they will usually change it same day for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Unfortunately that's the way.

Ryanair will sting you but it will always be for your mistake.

Cheap flights if you follow the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

hey
    anyone get any leeway from ryanair on this before?
    the missus changed her passport in last few weeks - flights booked today with her maiden name down. €110 to change? Closest thing to daylight robbery i've ever experienced. out of sheer principle i will never fly with them again.

Honestly, this is your mistake, not theirs. Yes it's unfair, but maybe you guys should've booked under the correct name in the correct passport. You can't blame them for that.
    Hopefully, they'll understand and do a quick fix for you for free.

Advertisement