Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

I drive one of these.

It took three bikes and three cyclists comfortably for the Martin Earley tour last August.

Much smaller than an SUV (despite appearances). 1.5 ltr Diesel engine is very easy on the juice.

Cyclist-friendly driver at the wheel at all times.

Nissan-Qashqai+2-4-lg.jpg

El Tonto saw it once and he asked me if it was my version of this:

Canyonero.jpg

I suppose it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I don't drive, don't even ride in cars if I can help it at all but at a pinch I can fit two normal bikes on the back of my cargo bike and since most people here seem to regard their cars as bike rack carriers, maybe that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

What cargo bike do you have?

I'll be buying one in the next few years if I can save a bit of money and if I rent/buy a house with a garage.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    What cargo bike do you have?

I'll be buying one in the next few years if I can save a bit of money and if I rent/buy a house with a garage.

It's a home-made jobbie, just bolted two old mountain bikes together in sort of an extra-cycle configuration. Only have it on the road like a week but it works alright, carries passengers and doesn't break down too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

It's a home-made jobbie, just bolted two old mountain bikes together in sort of an extra-cycle configuration. Only have it on the road like a week but it works alright, carries passengers and doesn't break down too much.

Do you have pics of this contraption?

Sounds great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Junior

Sold my Corrado G60 last year, I've had a list of cars as long as Lumen's arms. Currently driving a Combo Van for work, looking to go back to something 2.0 Turbo once the wedding is done, can't be doing with paying 1500+ for tax on an M3 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I sold an MR2 turbo as it was too awkward for transporting the bike :(

Have a 406 Coupe now, can take a bike in the boot without taking the front wheel off :eek:

dscf0945.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Junior wrote: »
    Sold my Corrado G60 last year

Nice...did you ever drive a VR6? Which was better? Corrado was a classic looking car, I'd actually prefer it to an M3 (unless it were an E90).

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Nice...did you ever drive a VR6? Which was better? Corrado was a classic looking car, I'd actually prefer it to an M3 (unless it were an E90).

Jesus what haven't I driven, I had come to the Corrado from a 400Bhp that nearly broke the bank on me, I found it a tremendously good looking classic sports car, even thou it wasn't old. I would prefer a well worked G60 to a VR6, with the VR there's very little you can do to squeeze a few extra ponies from one, plus as well as that engine is designed it's a bit of a boat anchor. A Jabbasport built charger, some cooling mods and a decent gearbox and it's a tremendous back road car, you'd probably be looking at a decent 200bhp as well.

I had a couple of E36 M3's, I've driven an E46 CSL as well and good lord it's some weapon. I'd love to have an E46 but they are becoming common as muck lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Am I alone in wondering how the fook can Caroline fit 3 bikes into a 107?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

step one: get license

step two:get a job

step three: save

step four:
    r500a.jpg
    Some day...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Got a Volvo V50 myself. Nice spacious car, Plenty of room for a bike or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

My ultimate car/van would be a VW camper ...

460180275_pwYv8-S.jpg
    If I was to start driving, the inner hippy in me would want either one of those or a Fiat 500:
    fiat500ori.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Do you have pics of this contraption?

Sounds great!

We absolutely need to see pictures! Seriously, would love to see it. I'm a big cargo bike fan.

DFD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

My ultimate car/van would be a VW camper ...

460180275_pwYv8-S.jpg
    My 8 yo is mad about these. He associates with surfing (...and wants to be a professional surfer when he grows up). He has mugs with it on and tshirts..... the only thing about them is that you wanna be able to personally rebuil and repair on the side of the road.

We absolutely need to see pictures! Seriously, would love to see it. I'm a big cargo bike fan.

DFD.

Hold your horses! I'll post a few pics in images of beauty in a few days once I've got it tidied up a bit, right now she's still a bit rough round the edges for public appearances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

320d for me. I daren't mention the make due to likely Big Mega W@nk3r comments!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

I have a Seat Leon 1.6 which is big enough for two big bikes + lots of accompanying bits and bobs:

DSC00877.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

93D VW Golf for me. Rarely drive it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Speaking of old Italians (mine in front):

39859391_i7mNT-XL.jpg

It never does get the privilege of transporting my bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Speaking of old Italians (mine in front):

...and the one behind is purely for spare parts,right?:D

Very nice car.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

Stokolan wrote: »
    Got a Volvo V50 myself. Nice spacious car, Plenty of room for a bike or 2
    Me too, 2L Diesel. It's much nicer to drive than the 2L Petrol Honda Accord I had before. (Brochure pic, before anyone gives out to me !)

Speaking of old Italians (mine in front):.

Is that a GTV? V6 model? Lovely looking car.

I'm a real child of the 80s though and not for performance, obviously, but purely to drive at 88mph and see what happens, I one day would like to own a DeLorean.

In 5 years I can even get a hover conversion!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭Alkers

Motorbike for me, hence the severe reduction in MTBing I have been doing since loosing my job. Previously had a 1.8TDi Focus Van but was a company car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Two Lambrettas, one vespa and a Volvo C70.

Is that a GTV? V6 model? Lovely looking car.

I'm a real child of the 80s though and not for performance, obviously, but purely to drive at 88mph and see what happens, I one day would like to own a DeLorean.

In 5 years I can even get a hover conversion!

It is. An '85 GTV6 with around 36k mi. The car is pristine (zero rust!), runs like new and, sadly, not driven enough. Maybe if I trained less......

...and the one behind is purely for spare parts,right?:D

Actually, if you live in a place where rust is not such an issue, these cars are pretty much bullet-proof. Pay attention to oil changes and timing belt intervals and you're golden. Very robust mechanically, with good ol' Bosch engine management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

I have a few cars at my disposal, only one of them is "mine" but my two younger brothers use it. If I can avoid driving, I do. Cycling is much more fun, no worries about parking!

EDIT: Just realised I forgot to mention the car - Fiat Punto, sporting, bright blue. Typical fiat build, dodgy clutch, awful power steering but it's actually a lot of fun to drive and goes well when you rev it hard. Plus, it's italian!

But Mammy's BMW X5 looks so much better when you arrive at races

Actually, if you live in a place where rust is not such an issue, these cars are pretty much bullet-proof. Pay attention to oil changes and timing belt intervals and you're golden. Very robust mechanically, with good ol' Bosch engine management.

Lovely motor, I bought and sold a few sprints in my time, with the right exhaust and a good backroad they'd give you wood ..

• Advertisement

xz wrote: »
    But Mammy's BMW X5 looks so much better when you arrive at races

Only when your brother leaves the Punto at home with no petrol. It's a pain in the ass to park, drinks diesel too. I would have cycled to the race, it was only 27km and I did it last time but I wanted to get home early to be fresh for the football later on.

Advertisement