Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diving Straight In

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Good man Sasquatch.

Im subscribed to this thread, and the only I remember I used to smoke is when it pops up on my control panel!

It really does get easier and easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Apologies for not keeping this thread up to date everyone. I feel bad, as I've received so much inspiration from other ex-smoker's threads, the least I could do was keep my own thread current! But life has been extremely hectic lately, and I just haven't been online in general that much over the past few months.

The good news is that I am still clean :P

In fact, I am cigarette-free 13 weeks today. Three months without a cigarette, or any other form of nicotine. I'm delighted with that, and also with the fact that it hasn't been that hard at all! If that sounds conceited or whatever, forgive me, it's not my intention.

Anyway, I know now I will never have another cigarette in my life. The cravings are still there, but they are incredibly rare, and are usually triggered by the memory of smoking at a certain time. However, if I'm in the company of a smoker now, I find the smell quite offensive to my nostrils. It kinda turns my stomach to be honest, and makes me wonder how I was able to inhale that crap for nearly 20 years!

So it's going very well. I'd like to impress one point on anyone reading this who has yet to make the decision to quit; I used to (and in many ways still do) consider myself to be a weak person. And yet I still managed to quit cigarettes. Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can! I hope you will at least consider that before dismissing the idea of stopping smoking.

Good luck to all those yet to make this journey, and continued success to all those who already have :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Thats great Sasquatch.

i love when ex smokers suddenly reappear and confirm that they're not smoking. Like Ciaran C, the thread will appear on my control panel and I also get to remind myself that I used to be a smoker!!!

Congrats. Over the three month mark. The months will start flying by now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Apologies for not keeping this updated. I know all too well how valuable some of the quit logs on here can be, having read most of them myself. So shame on me for not keeping you guys posted on my own progress.

I'll remedy that right now - I'm still a non-smoker, and as you can see from the date of my OP, that makes today my one year anniversary! No nicotine or cigarette of any description in one year :) I'm living proof that anyone really can stop smoking. And the last year has NOT been hard. In fact, the main reason I haven't really updated this thread in all that time is because, well, honestly I just don't think about cigarettes/smoking that much anymore.

It's something I used to do, but very much something I no longer want/need to do. I am a happy former smoker! So if you're thinking of taking the plunge but are apprehensive, or even scared, don't be. It really is possible to stop smoking in a way that isn't traumatic, panic-inducing or in any way difficult!

Good luck to anyone about to stop... you CAN do it!

Advertisement