Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insane HGV driver

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

bongi69 wrote: »
    +1.

Have been lambasted myself before for relaying an experience I had. I didn't do right, should have rang traffic watch etc etc.

Lambasted me boll1x, if a HGV is able to sneak up on you what else are you not noticing as you trundle along??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

On the motorway, I was passenger in a car which was cut off by an artic moving into the overtaking lane.
    The driver calmly waited for the artic to finish the over take and move in the "slow" lane.
    Driver overtook the artic and another car further up - then pulled into slow lane and reduced speed.
    Artic went back into overtaking lane to clear the car (between us and him) and waited in the overtaking lane to overtake the car I was in.
    My driver then just increased his speed to match the artics leaving the artic stranded in the overtakimg lane. Kept it up for between 0.5 and 1 mile until he had to speed up to get by a slow car in the slow lane and then continued to do the same thing again in the slow lane.
    Artic driver was going nuts, blowing his horn and doing some mock meaving to intimidate my driver.
    He got so pissed off that he ended up killing his speed and getting into the slow lane behind us and got to stay on our bumper at 80kph for another mile or so until my driver got bored and left him.
    I wouldnt condone it but it really pissed that artic driver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Lambasted me boll1x, if a HGV is able to sneak up on you what else are you not noticing as you trundle along??
    I wasn't referencing the op, I was refering to Phutyle, who commented that posters on the motor forum can sometimes take a high horse approach when commenting on other people's experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

On the motorway, I was passenger in a car which was cut off by an artic moving into the overtaking lane.
    The driver calmly waited for the artic to finish the over take and move in the "slow" lane.
    Driver overtook the artic and another car further up - then pulled into slow lane and reduced speed.
    Artic went back into overtaking lane to clear the car (between us and him) and waited in the overtaking lane to overtake the car I was in.
    My driver then just increased his speed to match the artics leaving the artic stranded in the overtakimg lane. Kept it up for between 0.5 and 1 mile until he had to speed up to get by a slow car in the slow lane and then continued to do the same thing again in the slow lane.
    Artic driver was going nuts, blowing his horn and doing some mock meaving to intimidate my driver.
    He got so pissed off that he ended up killing his speed and getting into the slow lane behind us and got to stay on our bumper at 80kph for another mile or so until my driver got bored and left him.

I dont get it? At what point did the cyclist come in?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Clever. A pissed off HGV driver makes all of us that little bit safer out there on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I read it was a crane hire company which means Its possibly classed as Industrial/Farm Machinery and somebody on a B License can drive it.

This also means It may not have a tacograph or a speed limiter. Worth thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

Berty wrote: »
    I read it was a crane hire company which means Its possibly classed as Industrial/Farm Machinery and somebody on a B License can drive it.

This also means It may not have a tacograph or a speed limiter. Worth thinking about.
    afaik any truck over 3500kgs has to have a taco whether they are required or not, in my job i'm exempt from usin a taco but all the trucks have them anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

On the motorway, I was passenger in a car

Please don't ever accept a lift from that lunatic again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭notel70

Your friend is a grade A asshole, some day he'll mess with the wrong guy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

notel70 wrote: »
    Your friend is a grade A asshole, some day he'll mess with the wrong guy

Plenty of him out there if my experience of driving on the newer motorways is anything to go by. Too afraid of the concrete barrier to hog the overtaking lane, they content themselves with taunting other drivers with the behaviour described above instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Stark wrote: »
    they content themselves with taunting other drivers with the behaviour described above instead.

If some yoyo I'm passing wants to speed up and stay level with me, let him, it doesn't bother me on the motorway. Even if he's prepared to match my max overtaking speed, we're much more likely to come up behind a slower driver in the inside lane than the overtaking lane, and Mr. Keepy-Uppy will have to slow down anyhow.

There seem to be some instinct to speed up when passed: on the motorway, I mostly have cruise control on, and it's pretty common for slower drivers to speed up a bit as I pass, hang on behind me for a minute or two and then drop away again to their original speed. Not sure why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

I've been harrassed many a time by nutter artics driving inches away when I'm just steadily keeping to the speed limit, maybe it's the 'down in da sticks' reg that eggs the nutters on. All this talk about trucks being governed to 90kph or whatever, maybe in theory, but BS in practice, circumvent the electronic gizmos and these things can reach startling speeds, just drive the M7/N7 and you'll see plenty of trucks travelling at the same speed as anyone else, I've even encountered an articulated nitric acid tanker doing almost 100mph:eek:

This close tailgating thing happens quite frequently because drivers of trucks with circumvented regulators typically have as much regard for speed limits and other rules of the road as they do for their speed regulators, therefore typically want to drive in excess of the limits but dont want to bother their arses overtaking car drivers with more respect for the limits as overtaking in a truck is not as easy as doing it in a car, therefore they take the harrassment option instead. And there are complete nutters who do it just for fun, I've seen that too, on the Naas Road driving fast up behind cars slamming on the brakes at the last moment panicing drivers into the hard shoulder taking off up the road to the next driver and doing same, rather than just overtaking in a clear lane.

Not wrote: »
    I've even encountered an articulated nitric acid tanker doing almost 100mph:eek:

Bull****,

No modern truck with 44tonnes of a load can do 100mph they dont have the gearing ratios to do this FACT

If some yoyo I'm passing wants to speed up and stay level with me, let him, it doesn't bother me on the motorway. Even if he's prepared to match my max overtaking speed, we're much more likely to come up behind a slower driver in the inside lane than the overtaking lane, and Mr. Keepy-Uppy will have to slow down anyhow.

There seem to be some instinct to speed up when passed: on the motorway, I mostly have cruise control on, and it's pretty common for slower drivers to speed up a bit as I pass, hang on behind me for a minute or two and then drop away again to their original speed. Not sure why.

This is seems to be a physcological thing, it happens all the time when I'm passing traffic on the Nass Road and is really annoying, because I end up either having to go a fair bit faster than I should in order to get back into the left, or end up stuck out on the right with impatient faster traffic baring down, or if I abort and go back behind the vehicle it always slows down again.

I reckon it's something to do with subconciously pacing one self on traffic around you if you're not watching your speedometer. Seems to happen more when the overtaking speed is not much more than the original speed of the vehicle being overtaken. I've found myself doing it on ocassions as well, so I check my speed now when I'm being passed to ensure I'm not unintentionally speeding up as I'm being overtaken.

Bull****,

No modern truck with 44tonnes of a load can do 100mph they dont have the gearing ratios to do this FACT

I presume it was unladen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

Even though they may struggle to get to that speed even unladen that was a great answer to an angry post. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I find HGV drivers in general to be more courteous and aware than the average car driver.

Nonsense. There have been numerous times that trucks have pulled out on a road in front of me, forcing me to brake, although I was no way travelling reasonable speed for the road in question. Likewise these louts pull out into the overtaking lane on motorways.

bbk wrote: »
    Even though they may struggle to get to that speed even unladen that was a great answer to an angry post. :D

Ah, but he's right, this was back in the '90s so probably could not be considered modern.

Then why the refernece to a load of corresive acid then:confused:

A typical truck with an emtpy trailer(and in this case a tanker) will still weigh about 15tonnes

Bull****,

the load has nothin to do with the gearing, with 1 tonne or 20 it will do the same speed per revs, the volvo i drive does around 90kmh at 1600 rpm and has a redline of 2500, if it could reach the redline it could do 140kmh but with wind resistance it never would

• Advertisement

Then why the refernece to a load of corresive acid then:confused:

A typical truck with an emtpy trailer(and in this case a tanker) will still weigh about 15tonnes

It said 'nitric acid' on the side of it. I said it was a nitric acid tanker. I never said it had a load of nitric acid in it. The trailer was relatively small compared to one such as a petrol tanker.

ardmacha wrote: »
    Nonsense. There have been numerous times that trucks have pulled out on a road in front of me, forcing me to brake, although I was no way travelling reasonable speed for the road in question. Likewise these louts pull out into the overtaking lane on motorways.

No, that is nonsense. You do not drive with 100 percent of the truck driving community 24 hours 7 days a week. You cant blanket a group of people with that sort of thing.

I think that if you got a ratio of bad to good drivers for car drivers and then truck drivers the car drivers would be much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Those who are saying that a truck couldnt possibly appear from nowhere on a windy country road have obviously never driven in the country. I drive a lot of back roads in Kildare and I have seen it numerous times where some moron in a truck comes flying up behind me and I wouldnt necessarily see them until Im on a straighish stretch of road.

The risks some idiots take in HGVs is enough to make you never want to take to the road again. Im my time of driving Ive seen plenty of trucks overtake cars on country roads and basically drive much too fast to ever have a hope of stopping the thing should the need arise. I myself was once overtaken by a truck who barely had the grunt to get alongside me, let alone make the pass, yet the driver persisted. I was doing about 50mph at the time and practically had to half my speed just so the plank could get off the wrong side to the road.

Im not saying that all HGV drivers are like this, from my experience most arent, but quite frankly one moron driving a 15 tonne truck is one too many...

if ya checked ur mirrors regualarly there should be no reason why ya cant see a car close behind let alone a truck

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

bbk wrote: »
    No, that is nonsense. You do not drive with 100 percent of the truck driving community 24 hours 7 days a week. You cant blanket a group of people with that sort of thing.

I think that if you got a ratio of bad to good drivers for car drivers and then truck drivers the car drivers would be much worse.
    I agree, but a bad HGV driver is a lot scarier than a bad car driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

picture.php?albumid=1191&pictureid=6546

Fancy been in the wrong lane on the roundabout when this truck shed part of it's load yesterday in Kilbeggan.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I agree, but a bad HGV driver is a lot scarier than a bad car driver.

Absolutely and that's why its so much more memorable then when a car driver is being an ass which must be why truckies are getting such bad rep when generalisations come out.

guil wrote: »
    the load has nothin to do with the gearing, with 1 tonne or 20 it will do the same speed per revs, the volvo i drive does around 90kmh at 1600 rpm and has a redline of 2500, if it could reach the redline it could do 140kmh but with wind resistance it never would

i was coming from 2 angles, both the gearing and the load.

back in the 80s some irish were know to put bus hubs on their trucks to allow them to hit 85+mph

a lot of it aswell is most car drivers dont know what way a truck is goin to go, i see it everyday taking tight left turn they fly up the inside or turning at lights, the list goes on

• Advertisement

i was coming from 2 angles, both the gearing and the load.

back in the 80s some irish were know to put bus hubs on their trucks to allow them to hit 85+mph
    wouldnt surprise me

Advertisement